New Player's Battle Priest - Page 2 - Acolyte Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

New Player's Battle Priest

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Between Servers

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

At this rate I dont even know if I'll trans. I'm level 83 and leveling is slow going. Im grinding right outside glast heim because the mobs are manageable. I've been all over the northern continent and still can't manage those maps that are 90+, they shatter KE in like two hits. It kind of disturbs me that there is an experience event going on right now and how slow this is going. I'm pretty far away from affording a spike. I did get the undershirt pantie combo with the cursed brooch.

#27 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

Have you tried dark priests in glast heim? If you have demon bane and divine protection, with assumptio, they should be easy.

#28 Gangstaz

Gangstaz

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:20 PM

Well couldn't help but post since I see you're having a very difficult time.

I made a Battle High Priest to 99/70 in 2 months.

STR 82+9
Agi 90+10
Vit 1+7
Int 11+12
Dex 31+9
Luk 56+2

This is GEAR-LESS AND BUFF-LESS

With a good upgraded +7 or +8 double Zipper Bear Veteran Hammer, Double Kobold Brooches/Crit Rings, some good headgear, mace mastery, imposito manus, agi up, blessing, gloria, kyrie eleison, etc, I'm looking at

STR 82+18
Agi 90+22
Vit 1+19
Int 11+22
Dex 31+19
Luk 56+34

My crit is like 76~79 depending on the gear i wear. I smash monsters with a regular attack of 700-800 [demonbane in effect], I critical for 1000-1100 like 3 out of 4 hits all the time when gloria is up.

Easily taking on any number of monsters and shattering them to bits. I don't even need Kyrie Eleison due to high perfect dodge from that high flee. Kyrie is always nice to have though, I like to hear the "clang, clang" sound.

#29 Erekes

Erekes

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:24 PM

At this rate I dont even know if I'll trans. I'm level 83 and leveling is slow going. Im grinding right outside glast heim because the mobs are manageable. I've been all over the northern continent and still can't manage those maps that are 90+, they shatter KE in like two hits. It kind of disturbs me that there is an experience event going on right now and how slow this is going. I'm pretty far away from affording a spike. I did get the undershirt pantie combo with the cursed brooch.

Try to get involved in the turn ins, those help a lot and ease the monotony of leveling. I was able to find parties even though my priest was battle. Gained a lot of levels through them. Also when you get to be 91 you can do the regular eden turn ins, which are also quite nice. Grab a huge list of them, do em all at once, rinse, repeat.

Since you're level 83 hit up Dark Priests. One thing that you may want to consider is looking for share parties down there. I gained a few levels while just walking around killing things by myself in a share party, and I really enjoyed it. Had people to talk to while still getting exp walking around looking for monsters. Aspersio is definitely your friend down here. If you need bottles go to Ant Hell and look for the afking alches. You can get a lot of bottles very quickly that way and it only costs you a trip to Morroc.

Try to stay on until you trans. I know its hard! Doing those TI quests helped immensely. My favorite skill from the trans skill tree is Meditatio. Gives me more sp and increased my heal. I have 1 int and my heal at level 101 is around 1k! That's really exciting for me. lol However, I like to party on my battle AB so the extra sp and such is really nice so I can help party members.

2. Spike or Encyclopedia? I love the crit bonus that encyclopedia gives, it's insane. But how much would wielding an encyclopedia slow down my aspd? I heard maces were fast. Ideally this build crits frequently with a very high aspd. Also, I read books have STR requirements, are these ACTUAL requirements, or are they recommended requirements and why?

I use a veteran hammer with 2 andre cards when I level. It is much more expensive than an Encyclopedia but the benefits of it are quite good. The crit % increases with each level of mace mastery. Honestly, I just used my eden mace II until I got my Vet Hammer. The attack is really good on it and that's very important.

7. I have zero SP concerns. I think my INT is too high. My SP rarely gets near 700. I buff with Increase AGI, KE, and Gloria. I don't understand why Blessing is any good, let alone increase AGI. It's only 10 stat points, I don't feel it makes a noticeable difference. Gloria is one thing, but Blessing only actually helps me with 10 STR, which seems kinda derp.

Your INT is pretty high for one who solos but it is nice to have. The reason your sp seems so high is that it appears you're not using all the buffs. As mentioned, I like to party. At your level I could barely buff myself and another person with the sp I had unless I used Magnificant. Tho your int is currently higher than mine (which is still 1 lol)

When leveling, unless I'm feeling lazy, I use: lvl 10 Agi, 1vl 10 Blessing, lvl 5 Gloria, lvl 10 KE, and lvel 5 Impo. There is a noticeable difference when using those skills together, verses not.

For example: (With Eden Mace II fighting Dark Priests) My base str is 53 + 4 and my luk is 60 + 4 (also lvl 10 mace mastery)
With all the above skills: damage ranged from 440 - 460 per hit. (aspersio lvl 5 increased this to 660 - 700)

With just lvl 10 Agi, and lvl 5 Gloria, it ranged from 395 - 415 (580 - 630 with Aspersio lvl 5)

It may not seem like a lot, but its enough of a difference for me. The benefit from using AGI (besides from increasing flee) is to increase your attack speed. Trust me, the more Damage per second you have, the faster you'll kill things. That's why I use all the above skills when leveling. The difference per hit starts to add up after a few hits.

8. Shield recommendations. Obtainable shields, thorny buckler is kinda expensive.

I have yet to use a shield and my battle priest is now a level 101 battle AB. I have a guildie who used to use one until he realized he got more dps from the increased attack speed without it. As someone else said, its up to you to decide whether or not you want one. Otherwise a stone buckler is a pretty cheap and decent alternative, tho it is heavy.

#30 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

I'm level 93 and this has just turned into a drag. It takes hours just to go up one level. The experience is going to become terrible tomorrow. This class just isn't working out. I'm at the Nilfihedel map, which is suppose to be ideal level wise, and all the monsters are weak to holy. This is just too much work for a class that isn't that much fun. Battle Priests are super cheap and self reliant, no SP concerns, self heal, self teleporting, self warping, but fighting is kind of a drag. I'm taking a break from it with my Taekwon Girl. Maybe I'll come back, but the experience will only be worse. I don't care what it was like pre-renewal, I'm 93 normal priest, I'm not even half way through leveling, this grind is beyond me.

#31 Erekes

Erekes

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

I'm level 93 and this has just turned into a drag. It takes hours just to go up one level. The experience is going to become terrible tomorrow. This class just isn't working out. I'm at the Nilfihedel map, which is suppose to be ideal level wise, and all the monsters are weak to holy. This is just too much work for a class that isn't that much fun. Battle Priests are super cheap and self reliant, no SP concerns, self heal, self teleporting, self warping, but fighting is kind of a drag. I'm taking a break from it with my Taekwon Girl. Maybe I'll come back, but the experience will only be worse. I don't care what it was like pre-renewal, I'm 93 normal priest, I'm not even half way through leveling, this grind is beyond me.

Do the Gramps TI and the Eden TI, as I said it will help so much. I barely leveled at Nif because of how mobby it was. I just focused on the various Eden TI's such as: Roweens, Disguise, Dark Priests, Injustice, Rybio, Siroma, Solider and Freezer. (don't do heaters, those are a pain in the rear!) These are nice cause you get to travel around and I like to turn everything in all at once. lol Even if you do these 1x per day (these can be done every 3 hours, starting after you turn in), the exp will start to pile up. I also did the Grampa ones, sometimes solo, sometimes in a party. I hardly ever just grinded on something without an exp quest backing it up at 90+ on my battle priest.

Have fun on your tk girl. Mine was a lot of fun, but I haven't used her since Renewal started.

#32 KaneBlueriver

KaneBlueriver

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationMother Earth

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

Battle Priests are super cheap and self reliant, no SP concerns, self heal, self teleporting, self warping, but fighting is kind of a drag.

You've pretty much sum'd it up.

Unless you have a passion to battle priests, it's a forever going hectic road. This is pretty much the reason why you don't see many battle priest. Life has gotten better for Battle Priest class ever since they introduced the skill duple light.

BTW, I love my battle arch bishop more than any of my other characters. =D

#33 Zephyrys

Zephyrys

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

1. I've been reading the BP thread on IROwiki. Why do the crit BP have such low luk? Im thinking like over 100 base luk. When is raising a stat not worth how many status points it consumes?

Over 90, like others have said. There are many maces with crit bonuses, and cards which also increase it by a fair amount. When in doubt, Skeleton Soldier cards. Each gives you almost as much crit bonus as a Gloria.

2. Spike or Encyclopedia? I love the crit bonus that encyclopedia gives, it's insane. But how much would wielding an encyclopedia slow down my aspd? I heard maces were fast. Ideally this build crits frequently with a very high aspd. Also, I read books have STR requirements, are these ACTUAL requirements, or are they recommended requirements and why?

Go with a Spike, if you're deciding between the two. It benefits from Mace Mastery and Adrenaline Rush, and doesn't impact ASPD.

3.I read with ultra high crit you don't really need that much DEX since crits always hit. If I'm dumping mad points in LUK, combined with a slotted Encyclopedia, do I really need DEX considering the aforementioned?

Nope, not really. DEX will help with casting time, but Battle Priests hardly need to worry about that.

4. I don't really understand calculators, maybe this is common knowledge but what kind of Crit rate can I expect to reach at end game? Is there a way to over do the crit rate?

Not really. Over 100 is a waste, obviously, but only Assassins ever have to worry about that. -_-

5.I am poor. Encyclopedias are expensive to me. Spikes are within range but when I hit my stride I definitely want the encyclopedia. Should I buy a spike first and work my way to encyclopedia, or save for pedia? I am making zero monies, even considering I was grinding at harpies. Also considering I don't buy potions.

As I said in the earlier question, forget the Pedia. Stick with maces. Card your maces with Soldier Skele cards if you're worried about your crit rate.

6. I have concerns about a fundamental source of base damage. Pending an encyclopedia, Mace Mastery is useless, I don't invest a lot in STR. Where is the balance between using skill points for fundamental damage like Imposito Manus, Demons Bane, and Mace Mastery, and using status points for STR?

Frankly, STR should be your 2nd-most emphasized stat for Battle Priest (Or maybe 3rd if you're going Crit), AGI being the first. Your strength right now is considered very, very low for a BP. Even if you do go with books (I wouldn't recommend it), maxing Mace Mastery is required for Spiritual Thrift when you hit Battle High Priest anyway. Might as well stay with a weapon that takes advantage of it.

7. I have zero SP concerns. I think my INT is too high. My SP rarely gets near 700. I buff with Increase AGI, KE, and Gloria. I don't understand why Blessing is any good, let alone increase AGI. It's only 10 stat points, I don't feel it makes a noticeable difference. Gloria is one thing, but Blessing only actually helps me with 10 STR, which seems kinda derp.

Dude, Blessing and Increase AGI are free 5-minute boosts you can constantly cast on yourself. Blessing helps a bit with damage, increases your Heal, and the Dex bonus can help you up to the point where your Crit rating can take over. Increase AGI boosts Flee and ASPD as well. It may not seem like much, but I know I notice a difference between my BHP's performance when I have the buff on and when I don't. Trust me. You want both. As said before, Blessing can even be used offensively against the Undead. Your INT right now I think is perfect. Remember, INT is not just SP, but the power you get out of your heals. 1 INT will make for a really crappy heal.

8. Shield recommendations. Obtainable shields, thorny buckler is kinda expensive.

My recommendation? Forget shields. The ASPD penalty they inflict isn't worth it, and you have Kyrie and AGI to help you defend against damage anyway. You don't need a shield.

9. Making money, do I really need to resort to Kafra Shop? Selling drops to NPCs doesn't cut it.

Hate to say it, dude, but there are only two ways to make a large amount of money in RO:
1) Vend rare items with a Merchant character in Prontera, or
2) If it's a particularly-sought-after item, you might be able to put up a chatroom in Prontera or Eden Group advertising a sale.
The drawback with #2 is that you have to babysit RO while you're doing it, which you don't have to do with #1. The only other way to get around not having a merchant character is knowing someone else who has a merchant character and is willing to sell items for you.

Edited by Zephyrys, 02 November 2011 - 06:58 PM.

#34 kerrylee

kerrylee

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Classic

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:31 AM

I have just transed, at the end of 2x exp she's lvl 80 HBP. Battle priest is fun, hope HBP will be even more fun!

Dark Priest, GH Prison, and Niffleheim are great. I am poor, but lucky enough to get cheap Veteran Hammer... it was still very expensive for me given other gears are Eden equipments, but it worths it over and over. It makes BP so much more fun! All those high numbers in red flying around are intoxicating. Dark Priests are as soft as tofu, and Loli Rury's are as sweet as marshmallow.. -_-

I got away with only 1 INT and 1 VIT, 9x AGI, 4X DEX, 6X STR, rest on LUK. And I plan to repeat the same build for HBP, but even higher LUK. High LUK + Gloria makes her survive almost everything.

2x exp got her 99 too quickly, many maps I haven't tried yet then suddenly she's 99. But I will go to more maps on HBP.

#35 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

I stop using battle priest because it was too slow and not fun. Keep in mind I'm new and stated earlier I have no zenny. I can't afford a spike, let alone a veteran hammer.

#36 Zephyrys

Zephyrys

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

It's not really recommended for a newcomer, because the equipment they need to be effective is expensive. Still, keep the BP around for when you start getting in some money. I'd recommend starting a Merchant character. Granted, they're the most annoying class to level, but you do not have to take one too far to unlock Vending, which will help your financial state considerably. Then use other characters to bring in sell-able loot. Only continue to level the Merchant character after you get levels of vending if you're borderline sadistic. :wub:

Edited by Zephyrys, 03 November 2011 - 11:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users