Rangers new trap damage formula seems funky - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Rangers new trap damage formula seems funky

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Fluffylovr

Fluffylovr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • LocationHawaii~
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Valk

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:51 PM

Fire Trap
ATK 100% + [{(Fire Trap Skill Level x Caster�??s DEX) + (INT x 5)} x (1.5 + Caster�??s Base Level / 100)] x {(Trap Research Skill Level x 20) / 100 }
Burning chance: (50 + 10 * Skill Level) %
Duration: 15 seconds
Fire Element

So, if I have max trap research (5) then its.. 5 x 20 = 100 / 100 = 1. Which means all the other equation times one, which makes that part.. obsolete? I just might be doing my math wrong :) Help me figure this out?

But if I did my math right including that part as level 150 with 100 int / dex.. ill be doing 1515 2475 damage before elemental bonus :Emo_18:

Edit: Ranger information found Here posted by Oda Here

Edited by Fluffylovr, 07 November 2011 - 02:28 PM.

#2 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

Actually, this is a thing I hate on the new formulas. Both the Firetrap formula and the Severe Rainstorm formula.

You need like, level 5 to hit with the same power you hit now on level 1 >.<

Just to re-explain. Yes, you are punished if you don't have maxed Trap Mastery, for example.

Like, if you have TM 3, it would be 60% of the formula. And so on.

Edited by asayuu, 06 November 2011 - 07:01 PM.

#3 Fluffylovr

Fluffylovr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • LocationHawaii~

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

And thats a level 150.. imagine a newby to traps.. doing 400 damage at best with level 1.. :)

This means to kill say.. Maya soloing.. without falcion eyes buffs or anything you need 251 traps /sigh my poor poor poor finger, -_-

edit// Thats.. pretty retarded in my opinion, I just want to know why trappers are being punished so harshly, traps will become instinct after skill patch, will force all to become bow users.. :Emo_18:

Edited by Fluffylovr, 06 November 2011 - 07:05 PM.

#4 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

Traps will be turned to crap. Severe Rainstorm too. Think about a 60% attack per hit, for 3 seconds. LOWER THAN YOUR AUTO ATTACK. This when Arrow Shower can be spammable and hit 250%.

Archer classes are being nerfed to the point of only one skill being useful on the build. In Ranger's case, Arrow Storm. For performers... Arrow Shower.

#5 Fluffylovr

Fluffylovr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • LocationHawaii~

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

Even then, its like.. they take the class many like, i mean.. archers, i LOVE archer class i've always been an archer nomatter what game I play.. and they've turned it into a very undesirable class, you really wont see wanderers/rangers running around anymore. It's saddening.. everyones like "At least you've already finished your ranger and wanderer" but I am like, I worked hard on them to use them in say.. Woe, ET runs, MVPing, Sealed Shrine. They will be least wanted class for these instances now :Emo_18: Even with these arrow moves we get, I jsut don't feel like my ranger and wanderer will ever feel their glory.. ever again.

#6 HRdevil

HRdevil

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • LocationMassachusets
  • Server:IRO Valkyrie

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

It's a balance patch, what else would you expect?

#7 Mefistofeles

Mefistofeles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1281 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

ITS PERFECT FOR ME, i hate lookong at those land mines dealing 10k+ while a jupitel thunder only deals 12k+ on a poring >_<, and i like that traps become usless, that class must be a BOW USER!

#8 Fluffylovr

Fluffylovr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • LocationHawaii~

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

It's a balance patch, what else would you expect?

I expect Balancing not throwing it off the cliff. :Emo_18:

#9 Fluffylovr

Fluffylovr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • LocationHawaii~

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

ITS PERFECT FOR ME, i hate lookong at those land mines dealing 10k+ while a jupitel thunder only deals 12k+ on a poring >_<, and i like that traps become usless, that class must be a BOW USER!

Sure, you can say you want them gone, but think of the users who have always used traps and how they feel, I can understand making them half their current damage, maybe more SP cost but compleatly eliminating trap users and over half of their skill chart is a bit ubsurd. If you had a trap ranger how would you feel? Your opinion is against them because of how you get hit but this class will become a rarety and probably wont woe anymore, and if thats what you want, grats your getting it. :Emo_18:

#10 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

Well, at least my wanderer will have an AOE Lex Aeterna to use on normal maps.

And I can use SR 1 for the same thing I use SR 5 nowadays, that is the same thing people used Arrow Shower on pre-renewal = Passing status effects of the bow.

For Rangers: Trap nerfed, bow buffed.
For performers: Bow nerfed... Nothing buffed.

B> Bow Guardian card for my Elven Bow. TIME TO SPAM ARROW SHOWER TO THE DEATH >.<

--- And about "balance".

Oh, for swordies, they decreased CS and buffed HS, to make a third class better than a second class one.

But for the archer classes... [Mainly performers. The Rangers still have onehitter Arrow Storms] A FIRST CLASS SKILL IS BETTER THAN A THIRD CLASS ONE after those balances.

Think about a Warlock still killing with Fire Bolt, or a Swordman Rune Knight spamming Magnum Break.

Edited by asayuu, 06 November 2011 - 09:00 PM.

#11 Pres

Pres

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1427 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

you really wont see wanderers/rangers running around anymore. It's saddening.. everyones like "At least you've already finished your ranger and wanderer" but I am like, I worked hard on them to use them in say.. Woe, ET runs, MVPing, Sealed Shrine. They will be least wanted class for these instances now :Emo_18: Even with these arrow moves we get, I jsut don't feel like my ranger and wanderer will ever feel their glory.. ever again.

Wait right now you see Rangers running around AND useful in ET runs and Woe? Where is this magical place? We've always been the least wanted and horrible at woe relative to other classes.

Edited by Pres, 06 November 2011 - 08:59 PM.

#12 Fluffylovr

Fluffylovr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • LocationHawaii~

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:58 PM

Wait right now you see Rangers running around AND useful in ET runs and Woe? Where is this magical place? We've always been the least wanted and horrible at woe.

Eactly! You seen em before? Rarely You see them later? Never :Emo_18:

edit// Well, my ranger can solo up to ESL at ET, and then its just useful for clearing floors and anything after esl its.. pretty much fail :b I had a blast killing most non ghost type mvp durring the bloodybranch box -_- All's I needed was a sura with me for MS and was fine :D

Edit2 @ pres// Yea, my ranger is a trapper which is why I posted this topic, to express the wtfx'ness of the new formula, even if i wasn't a trap ranger id still be wtfing though, its such a dramatic negative change, even if you figure in elemental damage bonus it wont be great. :) But on topic, I never put my ranger through woe, i always took my wanderer because trap ranger is pretty useless in woe, too many ways to avoid or disable traps.

Edited by Fluffylovr, 06 November 2011 - 09:07 PM.

#13 Lucentos

Lucentos

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

I`m guessing that this whole Trap epopee is to make Cluster Bomb as only and main damagedealing trap. IMHO Firing Trap and Icebound Trap is intended to be as status inflicting traps, rather than damage dealing ones.

#14 Pres

Pres

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1427 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:55 AM

Eactly! You seen em before? Rarely You see them later? Never :Emo_18:

edit// Well, my ranger can solo up to ESL at ET, and then its just useful for clearing floors and anything after esl its.. pretty much fail :b I had a blast killing most non ghost type mvp durring the bloodybranch box -_- All's I needed was a sura with me for MS and was fine :D

Edit2 @ pres// Yea, my ranger is a trapper which is why I posted this topic, to express the wtfx'ness of the new formula, even if i wasn't a trap ranger id still be wtfing though, its such a dramatic negative change, even if you figure in elemental damage bonus it wont be great. :) But on topic, I never put my ranger through woe, i always took my wanderer because trap ranger is pretty useless in woe, too many ways to avoid or disable traps.

Yep, we're actually similar in that we both have a 150 Ranger and Wanderer, although my Ranger is bow/hybrid and used in woe. At least we can complain about the changes when testing for skill balancing is actually up on Sakray -_-.

#15 Fluffylovr

Fluffylovr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • LocationHawaii~

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:16 AM

@ Asayuu's edit. I agree, my ranger will be reduced to a worse trap then she used as a second class, less damage then a good doublestrafe even, unless I am forced to skill reset and switch to bow user, I sure hope there is free skill/stat reset after this happens :Emo_18:

#16 Clogon

Clogon

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1621 posts
  • Server:Ygg

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:30 AM

I`m guessing that this whole Trap epopee is to make Cluster Bomb as only and main damagedealing trap. IMHO Firing Trap and Icebound Trap is intended to be as status inflicting traps, rather than damage dealing ones.

This would be true if they didn't horribly nerfed too.

@Mefistofeles:
If my hunter traps were able to be cast directly under the enemy, then I'd agree with you. But I can't and require much more skill than just hotkey + click on target. You know how bad Fire Pillar is and Hunter traps will be just as bad. =/

#17 Lucentos

Lucentos

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:38 AM

Clogon, what`s difference wiil be between PreRebalance and PostRebalance Ranger Cluster bomb? What`s average loss of damage we can expect?

#18 Clogon

Clogon

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1621 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:42 AM

didn't you already read my opinions about it on iRO wiki?

#19 Lucentos

Lucentos

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:54 AM

didn't you already read my opinions about it on iRO wiki?

I read it, but i forgot it.

#20 Shiroi17

Shiroi17

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:21 AM

What's the point of nerfing the crap out of skills used for leveling O.O
They are nerfing skills so they are weaker than rolling cutter currently and buffing rolling cutter.

I would mind making fire trap fire elemental, it just makes sense and would only require RNG and chasers to carry pots. 1500 damage is just a joke. Shadow Chasers are going to do like 1200 damage for 2x the SP cost lol.

#21 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:44 AM

What's the point of nerfing the crap out of skills used for leveling O.O
They are nerfing skills so they are weaker than rolling cutter currently and buffing rolling cutter.

I would mind making fire trap fire elemental, it just makes sense and would only require RNG and chasers to carry pots. 1500 damage is just a joke. Shadow Chasers are going to do like 1200 damage for 2x the SP cost lol.

Where 1200? If you are lucky, a chaser can reach 600~700 on the new firetrap. This on earth 3/4 monsters. Firetrap for a chaser is the same thing as hitting melee with a Baphomet Card, but forced fire after the balance patch.

Traps and Rainstorm, the main points of here. They dealt huge damage. Needed to be decreased. BUT NOT THAT MUCH.

Normal Wanderers do not stack agi anymore, unless they are going for Sleep/Bleeding immunity.

Well, so you blow 120 SP and 20 arrows to make a thing Arrow Shower can make better in the same moment you grab your Elven Set + Bow Guardian. I can reach 3k strikes with Arrow Shower on those settings. Gave priority to Rainstorm because of the convenience of "cast and wait". Without this, Severe Rainstorm is worthless. Having the same duration is worthless if you need 150 dex and agi COMBINED to hit 60% per hit on SR1, or 300% per hit on SR5 [I never add base level to the formula. Leveling skills can't be calculated on level 150. PVP/WOE skills can]. Bow Guardian Elven will make Arrow Shower have at least 360%, or 375%. They should take care of what they nerf. The new formula for some skills is completely unnefective.

The most nerfed classes seem to be Archer branch, and Geneticist.

#22 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:00 AM

Chasers have no Trap Research, they won't even reach 300 trap damage and that's adding Enchant Blade to the mix. lol... Anything multiplied by 0 is 0 giving the red bolded letters consideration in the OP's post.

Edited by CeruleanGamer, 07 November 2011 - 07:02 AM.

#23 Clogon

Clogon

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1621 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

Traps and Rainstorm, the main points of here. They dealt huge damage. Needed to be decreased. BUT NOT THAT MUCH.

I have yet to see anyone complaint about Cluster Bomb doing too much damage and that is getting hit too. <.<

onto SR:
Yeah it gets hit really badly. 150 dex and agi is ALOT at 99 to early 130's. But 300%*12 over 3 seconds isn't that bad especially since you can arrow shower during the duration to add more damage.

onto Fire trap:
The changes to it from a Trap Ranger's point of view aint so bad either thanks to the decreased cost of Maze Trap, for leveling that is. You will still do much lower damage than currently but it is adaptable. With Maze trap, 112 int and Trap research, you will get between 75%~95% of the current damage.

What I don't like about the changes to Ranger trap's (Cluster Bomb, Fire and Ice traps) in general is that you are greatly punished in the early levels since 100+ int is ALOT. And there is not much compensation end game for these traps. The damage doesn't increase much with base level and getting higher int/dex is very costly for the negligible damage increase. Each int/dex only increases the damage of Cluster bomb by 30 and fire trap by 15. The normal 100 int 160 dex builds only 7800 damage (3900 in WoE) with cluster bomb and 3900 damage (1850 in WoE) with fire trap. This makes them useless end game WoE/PVP as killing tools.

Fire Trap is not meant for PVP/WoE killing and I am fine with it. Honesly it is a very nice change as I can use it's weak damage to cure allies from frozen and stone without hurting them too much. But the changes to Cluster Bomb does not make up for the loss of Fire trap as a damage tool in WoE. I can place a maximum of 3 cluster bombs, that is 11700 damage (Using the numbers above) in an AoE that can hit allies too... Even if I was a leet player with god items, +30 food and slaved all the time so I can get 220 int and 220 dex, that is still just 6600 damage per trap that hits allies. 19.8k with 3 stacked trap THAT HITS ALLIES is barely half the HP of melee classes and this is with a Ranger using god items and expensive foods. Our traps affect allies but most of them aren't powerful enough to warrant such a drawback. =/

Even after the balance patch I am unable to stop enemies from killing stones, barricades or EMP's... :Emo_18:

#24 novalkar

novalkar

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:35 AM

I think that they intend to leave traps to spread status like buring and freezing rather than to be a OP DPS tool, i can even solo Nidhoggur instance on my Chaser with that skill and no supply consumption other than traps xD

#25 Shiroi17

Shiroi17

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:43 AM

Monsters dying to the burning/freezing status don't even give credits toward quests =(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users