The new quest (Graduation) - Page 2 - ROSE Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

The new quest (Graduation)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

#26 Nickib

Nickib

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Playing:ROSE Online

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

What help should be provided? You are the one who started this post saying they should be ashamed. That's just rude to begin with.

I said: I think its shamefull of that maths question.

I never slated anyone and btw thats my opinion: I am not rude i created this post to help people thats what its doing, except people like you just wanna slate them.

People have posted in here asking for help!

Read other posts, i am helping someone who saw my post and actually did not understand the quest at all!!

That was my point.

Just bcause you understand it don't mean others do!

I am actually helping people right now: :-)

Kind Regards

#27 SirSlayer

SirSlayer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1638 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

Seems like more of an annoyance than help. A helpful post would go something like this...

A. present the math problem.

B. show them how to work through the problem.

C. put a spoiler with the answer in it.

D. Say something like "hope this helps".

e. f....wait what was the next letter? OH I KNOW!.... GG!

#28 Nickib

Nickib

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

Seems like more of an annoyance than help. A helpful post would go something like this...

I will write a post how i please thanks for the stupid reply, that cuz you run out of stuff to say!

Post your own if you think you can do better

You aint helped so stop posting!

I write my post how i see to.
& actually this post HELPED PEOPLE without ur bull**** init.

The answers are in my post: Try reading it!
Btw trying to make urself look big and smart on my post makes u a nasty person. When all i am doing is trying to help people.

Unless u have something nice to say don't post on my post..

#29 IchigoXitachi

IchigoXitachi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationSunny England
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

Then why on gods green earth did you even waste your time posting such things as:

Complex math questions? Are you kidding me? First of all it is basic P E M D A S (Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally / Parenthesis Exponents Multiplication Division Addition Subtraction), otherly known as the Order of Operations. This is 5th-6th grade BASIC math algebra (the same age range this game is advertised to be for... 10+). There is nothing complex about this, and I'm quite sure when I was in school, even the students with learning disabilities were still taught this.

There is nothing shameful about this. At least this quest finally makes you think about what you are doing, rather than other quests where people just spam click through the text just to get to the next part.

If you didn't need to butt your nose in then why do it?

Simply stating from the beginning a correct layout for the post instead of turning this thread into a complete shambles including a jargon of nonsense ( congratulations btw ) would have been a healthy alternative, next time think before you post, it effects everyone y'know, and as you can quite clearly see from a page or 2 back, someone already asked for help, which goes to show, people are struggling / in need of help.

#30 SirSlayer

SirSlayer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1638 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

I love you both keep calling my replies "nonsense" but this entire post is nonsense from the beginning. Don't post stupid posts, and you won't get replies that you don't like. Post it the right way from the beginning or don't post it at all. Quite simple really.

#31 jerremy

jerremy

Knight Representative

• Members
  • 6045 posts
  • LocationYour closet.
  • Server:Currently unknown

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

Apple pie.
Yeah that's all I had to say..

But seriously, just stop the nonsense about who's right.

#32 raindeth

raindeth

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

regardless of layout, i got the main point. Only kill those woopies -.-
thanks

#33 Nickib

Nickib

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

regardless of layout, i got the main point. Only kill those woopies -.-
thanks

Thank you xD

#34 ShazamO

ShazamO

They pay me to post.

• Retired
  • 5764 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

Post was modified to hide the answer.

#35 Cloudius

Cloudius

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

Google is our bestfriend. :no1:

#36 SirSlayer

SirSlayer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1638 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

ShazamO this post should just be deleted lol. It is a spoiler and discouraging for people to even do the quest. When in fact the quest was quite fun and interesting, and not hard at all.

#37 Nickib

Nickib

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

ShazamO this post should just be deleted lol. It is a spoiler and discouraging for people to even do the quest. When in fact the quest was quite fun and interesting, and not hard at all.

Yeah delete the post maybe this brown nose (( Gm suck up)) can finally shut up!!

ShazamO Next time i will remember to put spoiler :-)

Edited by Nickib, 30 May 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#38 IchigoXitachi

IchigoXitachi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationSunny England

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

this post should just be deleted lol. It is a spoiler and discouraging for people to even do the quest. When in fact the quest was quite fun and interesting, and not hard at all.

Yeah lets not help those who need it!!! > :o , if anything this should be move to the FAQ and guides section with the answer kept intact ( you cant google the 1st math question, the square root you can ) to be quite honest SirSlayer im dissapointed in what your saying, surely someone like you would have the common decency to want to... y'know...whats that word again? OH YEAH: Help people

Edited by IchigoXitachi, 30 May 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#39 ShazamO

ShazamO

They pay me to post.

• Retired
  • 5764 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

Google is our bestfriend. :no1:

^

I don't feel it's my place to take down this post that can potentially help people. If people don't want to think, so be it. :p_swt:

#40 dom33fr

dom33fr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

u mad bro?

#41 DeveloperAlex

DeveloperAlex

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Complex math questions? Are you kidding me? First of all it is basic P E M D A S (Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally / Parenthesis Exponents Multiplication Division Addition Subtraction), otherly known as the Order of Operations. This is 5th-6th grade BASIC math algebra (the same age range this game is advertised to be for... 10+). There is nothing complex about this, and I'm quite sure when I was in school, even the students with learning disabilities were still taught this.

There is nothing shameful about this. At least this quest finally makes you think about what you are doing, rather than other quests where people just spam click through the text just to get to the next part.

Well spoken I totally agree with this.

#42 RagingHormones

RagingHormones

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 733 posts
  • Playing:Pogo's Lounge

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

It's basic math yes, but people shouldn't look down on those that can't do it, instead, try to help them. I don't think incorporating this into the quest is shameful though. If you think about it, the NPC text in Rose is mainly in English and in written format, so what about those who are dyslexic or have English as a second language or don't speak/read it at all? That seems a bigger issue than a math problem snuggled away in one part of a quest. Is it shameful that they use English as the main language? Math is a more universal language imo.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Spoiler

Edited by RagingHormones, 30 May 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#43 kaminichuan

kaminichuan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 499 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Server:leonis

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

Just want to say I liked this quest. I actually wanted to talk to npc's and read the funny dialogue. I laughed at a lot of it, was good (but short-lived) fun.

If people don't want to think, so be it. :p_swt:

I can vouch that some people loved the maths part. They messed up that part of the quest a few times but said things like "don't tell me the answer!! I'll get it right..."

For the people who didn't love it.... their struggle is also a good laugh :)
Spoiler

#44 Didah

Didah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 415 posts
  • Server:Draconis, Leonis

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

I love math

#45 Guest_Qilin_*

Guest_Qilin_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

Well... seeing as how I'm sort of responsible for this, I feel like I should weigh in >_<

Even though there's a lot of negative stuff going on in this thread, there is a sick twisted sense of pride in seeing people talk about something I made ^_^

Anyway, I certainly wasn't trying to alienate anyone or do anything shameful. We've never had a graduation-themed event, but we have had a back to school event.

When I was given the basic concept for the graduation event, I wanted to make sure it was clearly different from the back to school quests. I thought of these mini-quests as something of a back to school/G-Learning parody. We wanted to see more people in some of the lower level maps so we had to give them a nice reason and something fun to do.

You may notice each quest has something about it that discourages players from just going "click click click, AOE AOE AOE DONE."

The last thing I wanted was for a bunch of 220s to completely obliterate all the monsters in noob zones - so I had some punishing troll mechanics to prevent that :)
(I actually thought I'd get some complaints on the Dalping quest - because if you AoE there, you will never finish the quest ;) )
I also made sure that (for the most part) I wasn't having players kill too many monsters that were needed for the lowbie quests.

I wanted the math problem to make people think, but I didn't intend it to be unsolvable. I must admit, I felt bad I had to format the question that way! It probably would have been more clear to everyone if I could have used the actual square and square root symbols as well as expressing the PEMDAS problem as a big-ol fraction. But, ROSE currently can't process certain special characters - so I tried to write it as best (correctly) as I could.

One thing that makes ROSE special is the community, and I had hoped that if anyone got stuck, the community could help each other out, "hey where do I dig up the answers for the history test?" or "what's the answer to the math problem?"

I also knew that Google would happen, and that at some point any tricky parts would be outlined in the forums. I like the idea of people really experiencing the content, but it's also cool to see people helping each other out!

What's not cool is seeing the name calling and what have you - so let's avoid that shall we ^_^

#46 Nickib

Nickib

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

i Actually liked the quest.

I did not post this to offend anyone only to help the people that needed help. Shameful was the wrong word i'm sorry for that.
I meant its a shame that type of maths question was included.

I totally agree it was a Brilliant quest. I just see alot of poeple struggling and asking for help and people just walking away and ignoring them. So i posted this xD

Kind Regards

Edited by Nickib, 30 May 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#47 IchigoXitachi

IchigoXitachi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationSunny England

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

After having done the Quest 6 times now, and having all the answers I need, I have thoroughly enjoyed doing it. Its a great quest don't get me wrong I just struggled with that 1 part ( math section ).

@RagingHormones: Thanks for explaining it...But I still don't get how it works, I don't think I have the right understanding for these types of math questions, I can do the rest tho lol

To sum up:

A great event worth doing, decent event prize, head is hurting from all the driving around.
Isn't this ^ ^ ^ a haiku?

#48 johniscu

johniscu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • Server:leonis

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

This quest was great I enjoyed it. It was def different but then again I am the best in the world so the math problem I knew it before I even read it.

#49 DestinyDeoxys

DestinyDeoxys

Cleric Representative

• Members
  • 1588 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

Can somebody tell me why sqrt(4) = 4 ??? :o

Edit: Oh, is it because the quest is saying "Squaring the root of 4", so it's like
[sqrt(4)]^2 = 4?

Edited by DestinyDeoxys, 30 May 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#50 Didah

Didah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 415 posts
  • Server:Draconis, Leonis

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

I have a long way to go. I have 25 characters that need to graduate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users