Why Does RO2 Get So Much Hate? - Page 3 - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Why Does RO2 Get So Much Hate?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
90 replies to this topic

#51 MrTyranitar

MrTyranitar

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2298 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:lol

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

shpongled
mistergohan
killedbytofu

Anyone else notice that all three of those people have the same exact posting style (how they type/word things), complain about the exact same things and have the exact same character classes in-game...?

Edited by MrTyranitar, 08 March 2013 - 05:29 AM.

#52 HayrohsLegacy

HayrohsLegacy

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Location名古屋、Japan
  • Server:Loki Champ & Chaos RG

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

still sticking on my ro1 and gw2.

#53 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:36 AM

shpongled
mistergohan
killedbytofu

Anyone else notice that all three of those people have the same exact posting style (how they type/word things), complain about the exact same things and have the exact same character classes in-game...?

Wouldn't be the first time... :P

#54 Lucentos

Lucentos

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

Wow did not evolve MMO's. It opened up developer guidelines for how to monetise the genre and appeal to the laziest of players (who make up the largest part of the market).

Quoted for truth. Althrought classic WoW was a good game, all other expansions of WoW was aimed to gather as much as possible people. Modern WoW have some hardcore activities like Rating BG/Arena and Heroic Raids but WoW got turned into activities meadows that have no real MMO interaction between each oter.

#55 tigriss216

tigriss216

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • Server:both

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

sorry to say, but nowadays graphics play a pivotal role in the majority of gamers choosing what game to play. this is one of the main reasons this games population has never grown and has dwindled down. people pay all of this money for computers with insane graphics cards and processors. they want to use that power and see what their computers are capable of. every person ive tried to get to play this game has said to me ...'but the second one looks better. i think im gonna play that instead'.

game content is definitely the main reason someone should be into a game. but if the graphics are glitchy and outdated (like RO), its going to turn people off immensely. theres actually areas in RO that hurt my eyes because theyre too pixelated and blurry. if i have to grind those areas for more then a half hour, i find my eyes straining to focus.

as for the merchant class, its a completely outdated concept. sitting afk in a town with a shop above your head is absolutely ridiculous, when you can implement a serverwide auctionhouse that acts as a shopping center for players and helps people sell their goods without having to be online. it makes items more available to everyone at any given time at a competitive price. blacksmithing should be a more integral part of the game, but in RO, theyve let it completely go to hell. our forgable items list is a joke. its so outdated now it makes me wanna cry that i ever even made a forgesmith.

ro2 might not have graphics compared to skyrim, but they are much better then alot of the other 3d mmorpgs out there that have bigger fan bases then ragnarok. who cares if they copied WoWs model of gameplay? WoW set the standard for how an mmorpg SHOULD be. they took the best of every rpg out there and put it into 1 game and shattered world records because of it (although WoW has gone to complete hell now)

i would like to see them fix ragnaroks problems to be equally as good as RO2, but its just not going to happen. well most likely see them fine tune RO2 until it starts succeeding (apparently the first version was a complete failure and they started over from scratch lol) and then give RO1 the axe, or put it on the backburner running on some lousy servers never getting any updates at all. i love my RO, but im not opposed to them releasing a better version of it

That's not exactly true. graphic are good but storyline and content are what keeps players. I know of one company who lost a lot of sales to other companies with semi crappy graphics even tho they had the best graphics at the time because the game content for that system sucks ass. Also look at all those phone games and other cheezy games online that soo many people find addictive and can't stop playing even tho they look like crap.

Graphics mean nothing is the game can't keep you entertained with it's content.

#56 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

Whether you guys like it or not, RO2 is coming and no amount of bashing is going to stop the developers from working on it. Besides, if it's going to be as bad as people say it is, then players are going to flock back to RO since RO will stick around regardless. The playerbase isn't going anywhere, what's the big deal?

Besides, I think you guys should be more concerned about all the WoW elements Gravity is slowly slipping into RO:

- Character Window: You can also hide the stat window just like in WoW. Oh, crap.

- Colored Skill Icons: At least it's not retroactive. RO's just not RO without its monochromatic skill icons.

- Skill Tree: Next thing you know, they'll change them into talent trees and let us use active skills sooner. The horror!

- Status Icon Timers: Don't care if it looks different from WoW, it works the same darn way.

- Instance Dungeons: What next, a dungeon party finder? Wait...

- In-Game Lore & Stories Worth Reading: What is this witchcraft?

- Auction Houses: At least ours are all disconnected and there's a ridiculously high service fee. Can't have it be practical in RO now, can we? Sure dodged that bullet.

- Item Description Boxes: Item description boxes WITHOUT scroll bars? AND it'll allow us to compare item effects? NOOOO....

- Quest Window & Quest-tracking: The end is near!

- Costume tab: Oh, wait. This is a LOTRO feature. I guess that's fine since LOTRO's version lets you use ANY gear in the game whereas RO's version only lets you use gear designated as costume gear...

So unless you guys send thousands of stern and angry letters (in Korean) to the developers telling them to stop all these modifications, RO is going to turn into a 2.5D version of WoW and we can't have that!

#57 Frah

Frah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Server:Chaos RO1 Odin RO2

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Okay, this has gone on long enough. For those people hating on RO2... NEED TO GET OVER IT. NEWS FLASH, TIMES CHANGE!!

#58 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

There is a place for both games, they are so very different from each other and designed to cater to different audiences. If you are looking for a fully polygonal take on a similar universe RO2 is the way to go, if you prefer the mouse movement, beautiful sprites and mechanics of RO1 it will still be there for you-there are still loads of updates being developed on kRO that we will be getting in the not-too-distant future.

It doesn't do either side justice to squabble over it.

#59 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

But we like squabbling. :(

#60 MrTyranitar

MrTyranitar

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2298 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

There is a place for both games, they are so very different from each other and designed to cater to different audiences. If you are looking for a fully polygonal take on a similar universe RO2 is the way to go, if you prefer the mouse movement, beautiful sprites and mechanics of RO1 it will still be there for you-there are still loads of updates being developed on kRO that we will be getting in the not-too-distant future.

It doesn't do you guys justice to add yet another game when you guys complain about being horribly understaffed (and it shows) as it is. Especially when the games you DO have have horrible issues that block people from playing/make them not want to play because it's unenjoyable.

I also like your sig mocking the whole lag situation like it's a joke. No wonder nothing has happened...

Usually when a company is experiencing server issues they try to replace hardware or something. WarpPortal instead tells us to stop playing immediately when we lag and take tracerts (which have NEVER helped anything), play in a neutered environment (without /effects), and to take advantage of a Beta version of a program (LowerPing, check the sticky "Anti-Lag Program" or something) instead of actually addressing the ongoing issue which has been ongoing for numerous months with zero sign that anything is being done to fix it. Yes, I know you're aware of it. I'd hope you are. Being aware and doing something are two different things entirely.

And yes, Oda, this was a bit of an "angry" post even if nothing derogatory was actually said. There's a difference between blind rage and rightfully being annoyed at what appears to be poor management. Paying customers having their face spat at by the people they're paying isn't too nice.

Edited by MrTyranitar, 08 March 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#61 dkitty

dkitty

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

It's funny how people complain that RO2 is a "copy" of WoW. WoW mechanics have greatly influenced several other MMO's, because they're good, so why shouldn't RO2 work on becoming what players enjoy in an mmo? It's the same as saying "Apple made the first touch-screen phones, I'm NEVER EVER going to buy an android touchscreen because its a fake and gay copy." Seriously, if it's a positive change, go for it.

#62 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

I think the reason there's so much hostility is that us RO players who like RO (RO 1 that is) see RO 2 as a threat which could possibly pull players away (even though, as oda mentioned, the intended audience is quite different, and most people who like RO 1 don't like RO2 anyway) from the game that we would continue to play, so thus we have an interest in derailing it it in any way possible. That's certainly the case for some of us - we feel our way of life is being threatened.

That said, RO2 sucks and none of you should ever play it. I know I haven't! :-P

#63 Anubis1101

Anubis1101

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

In short, I dont care about RO2. A game is a game, it will be what it will. As long as they dont sacrifice RO's greatness to work on yet ANOTHER clone of WoW, I'm okay with it. And the reason I don't like WoW clones is because if I wanted to play WoW, I WOULD PLAY IT. So just keep making RO great, and your fans will be happy.

In more detail, I was excited that they were making RO2, with new graphics and updated gameplay. I didn't even mind that they added linked quests and borrowed gui features from WoW. But when I played the beta a couple weeks ago, I found a game that was just WoW with a different coat of paint. The same mechanics, the same quest system, the same flavor of progression,
the same
boring
classes.

I liked RO mainly because the classes were different. They had depth, diversity. When I played WoW, I grew bored of the class system, which is repetitive even by MMO standards. I don't like RO2 because it moves much closer to that. The classes are shallow, with few skills, and even fewer designed to work in conjunction with each other.
I will not give up on RO2, because they can always change and update for the better, but as it stands it is not worth my time, much less my money.

Edit:
I should restate, it did some outstanding things. I was not at all unsatisfied with the Job system, I think its a great addition.
But for the love of Freyja
make the classes more interesting.
Also fix the world layout. Have you looked at it? its about as linear as it can get. RO's world was much more open, with many possible directions to travel.
Its no fun traveling in a straight line. Hell even WoW had a pretty great world design.

Edited by Anubis1101, 08 March 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#64 Exvee

Exvee

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1777 posts
  • LocationZaius (Magma Fire)
  • Server:Chaos/Odin

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

That's what we got angry about it. With the name of RO2, there is no need to erase many contents from RO1. If they change many things on it, they can just make a new name for the game. Rose Online borrow some RO monsters like Spore/Orcs but entirely different contents...

#65 BoingBoing

BoingBoing

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Why do the popular kids get all the hate?

#66 zr0rieu

zr0rieu

Universal Translator

• Members
  • 3475 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

It doesn't do you guys justice to add yet another game when you guys complain about being horribly understaffed (and it shows) as it is. Especially when the games you DO have have horrible issues that block people from playing/make them not want to play because it's unenjoyable.

http://www.warpportal.com/careers.aspx

AFAIK they are trying to get more staff members as they expand their game titles. It's just being done outside of the forums.

#67 MrTyranitar

MrTyranitar

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2298 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

http://www.warpportal.com/careers.aspx

AFAIK they are trying to get more staff members as they expand their game titles. It's just being done outside of the forums.

It hasn't helped.

#68 zr0rieu

zr0rieu

Universal Translator

• Members
  • 3475 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Point is they are trying to do something about the "understaffed" part.

#69 JohnNooodles

JohnNooodles

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Location....
  • Server:Classic

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

RO2 isn't the only reason the community is getting smaller and smaller is because RO doesn't advertise much...who seriously doesn't use Adblock these days? Advertising on websites is pointless. We need commercials for RO! Get the word around more efficiently and have more players on, seeing an increase of novices and first job classes that aren't bots or alts would make the game seem more alive, it's just 2nd job trans, and third jobs (depending on the server) in a world of 1st job bots. The GMs don't really need to rush for content because there's not a lot of people, if a larger population wants something then they need to work faster to give it to them.

Edited by JohnNooodles, 08 March 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#70 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

Curious, does kRO have any commercials/advertisments we can subtitle and repost on Gravity's YouTube page? Since Gravity doesn't have the manpower to create effective advertising. I'm more than happy to share videos, but there kind of needs to be actual videos to share.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 08 March 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#71 JohnNooodles

JohnNooodles

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Location....
  • Server:Classic

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

There's so many people who are amazing at making videos for RO, Gravity should just hold a contest or something like the video contest a while back and award some kind of in game prize for whoever makes a commercial that sums up Ragnarok Online, shows it's features and that it's still alive (Could even make an event about it...save Rune Midgard before it's too late! kinda thing)...even mention the classic for those who've forgotten about the game and haven't played in a while who would love to get into the game without renewal mechanics.

#72 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

It's funny how people complain that RO2 is a "copy" of WoW. WoW mechanics have greatly influenced several other MMO's, because they're good, so why shouldn't RO2 work on becoming what players enjoy in an mmo? It's the same as saying "Apple made the first touch-screen phones, I'm NEVER EVER going to buy an android touchscreen because its a fake and gay copy." Seriously, if it's a positive change, go for it.

People use the term "wow clone" because if you really want to play wow, why wouldn't you just play the original? In this case (maybe not in apple's, but this one for sure) wow is GOING to be better than any spin off with a different name.

I know I'm not afraid RO2 is going to negatively affect RO1's population. I fully expect RO2 to fail. What worries me about it is that with yet Another game to warpportal's roster, it might overstress the staff and give RO1 even LESS attention, thus upsetting the community further, and ultimately, leading to warpportal's closure.

Oda, can you answer me this: Are you guys hiring the appropriate (more than 1) staff to manage RO2 or just splitting the current staff's duties further? (I will assume that Z's link to the job page is a result of adding RO2, but confirmation would be pleasant)

Please, answer this for everyone's sake to settle down everyone's concerns regarding it.

Edited by Tkwan, 08 March 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#73 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

easy doesn't necessarily mean good. Wow style mechanics tend to appeal to a more mainstream and casual oriented market. It's more profitable, but is it better for the genre as a whole? Thanks to WoW, all modern MMO's have had the exact same problems - shallow, linear, no endgame content.

#74 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

I know I'm not afraid RO2 is going to negatively affect RO1's population. I fully expect RO2 to fail.

This. I'm not worried at all. If I am mad about RO2 in the slightest, it's how much money was wasted into developing this sad excuse of a successor. RO2 is probably going to massively fail and gravity is going to lose money. That is what I'm worried about!

#75 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

the quality of RO2 is what most people complain about. I wanted it to be a really good game too. Like, so badly. But it ended up being a westernised, limp noodle of am MMO that doesn't really do anything better than it's competitors.

At least the official art for it is gorgeous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users