Post Your TRACERT here! - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Post Your TRACERT here!

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#1 Javsy

Javsy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

As many of you may already know, there are a lot of players have been reporting lag spikes during WoE 2 (especially at Valfreya realm) which started after the server merge. Tons of tickets and forum threads have been opened about the problem and it seems that the only replies we received from the technical support and GM team are either:
  • use /effect off
  • make a tracert and send it to technical support via ticket
The only problem I noticed is players were instructed to perform a tracert command to warpportal/playragnarok URLs which what we all know (or maybe not) that they pertain to the Warp Portal forum/patch/website server resides. and not the game servers. This is the main reason why most of our tracerts are fine while we lag in game (since we've been told to check a different place) and the management insisting that it's a end-user/client (that means YOU) problem which they advise to turn down the effects off. *facepalm*

List of Misleading addresses to do a tracert
playragnarok.com - official iRO website
patch1.playragnarok.com - file server where the patches reside (this is the place where the patcher downloads the files)
warpportal.com - official Warp Portal website
forums.warpportal.com - official Warp Portal forum (duh!)

Here's an example thread
http://forums.warppo.../96587-tracert/

To enlighten everyone, the map servers are a different entity. They are not the same as where the websites, forum, and other things they put live in the internet resides (I have already confirmed it). Which means all the tracerts you've been doing in the past using the said addresses will not gain the actual result.

To get the IP address of the map server you are currently roaming:

1. Log in to RO and choose a character go to the map where you do you want to get the IP address. Please make sure you stay at logged in at the map while doing the whole process

2. Open Task Manager and click the "Processes" tab and look for the ragexe.exe item and get its value at the PID column.

If you don't find any, click "View" at the menu bar and click "Select Columns".
Posted Image

Posted Image

As for my example, my ragexe.exe is set at PID 5000.

3. open cmd and type the below command
netstat -no

4. Look for the PID of ragexe.exe you got from Task Manager and get the IP address at the "Foreign Address" column.
Posted Image

And now you're ready to go!

So I put an extra effort to get the correct IP addresses of the map servers for each and every WoE 1 and WoE 2 realm for the ease of our fellow players. Please note that the addresses may change without prior notice from Warp Portal so please check it if it has already been changed from time to time.

AS OF MARCH 11, 2013

Chaos War of Emperium 1 Realms (same map server inside and outside the castle)
Greenwood Lake - 128.241.92.116
Luina - 128.241.92.116
Britoniah - 128.241.92.117
Valkyrie - 128.241.92.118

Chaos War of Emperium 2 Realms (same map server inside and outside the castle)
Valfreya -128.241.92.117
Nidhoggur - 128.241.92.118

Other Notable Servers (For people having problems checking their connection to other important parts of the game)
Chaos Character Server - 128.241.92.98
Chaos Prontera - 128.241.92.101
Chaos Eden HQ (1st and 2nd floor) - 128.241.92.112
Classic Character Server - 128.241.92.203
FTP (Patch) Server - patch1.playragnarok.com (check 128.241.93.38 also if you need to verify if you're having DNS server issues)
Login Server - 128.241.92.162 - can't be pinged nor tracert'ed. Only accepts connection to port 6900 so you need to the below

• If you're using Windows Vista or later, then install the telnet client.
  • Open Command Prompt (which is located in the Accessories folder of the start menu).
  • Enter "telnet 128.241.92.162 6900".
  • If the window turns blank, then you have successfully connected to the server.

Credits to Axylus for the above quote (with some minor edit I made). His post can be found here.

Once you have already identified the map server you want to check, do the usual tracert by launching command prompt (cmd) and type tracert <ip address of the map server>

Posted Image

Once you're done, send the logs to customer support for them to check.

DISCLALIMER: I would not the be held responsible if anyone accidentally posts sensitive info here, so please be careful :p_idea:

If you want to share your tracert logs and discuss it here by replying to this thread, please don't forget to censor some of the details especially the first few hops from the originating address for security reasons, just like what I did above (and yeah, my packets are running through international routers from Japan lol). I would suggest censor each and every hops except for the last hop.

If you want to discuss your experiences, please also take note of the EXACT time when you did the tracert.

Hope this helps everyone. If you can manage to post your logs during WoE, post it hear and let's talk about it. :p_hi:

My suggestion to the GM Team
I'm seeing that the whole realm (specifically Valfreya) both inside and outside of the castle are placed on 1 specific map server. And I know that the server has been lagging a lot during WoE 2 due to a lot of players both inside and outside of the Valfreya castles buffing stuff and killing stuff.

I think it would be a possible remedy to put the map inside and outside of the castles into separate servers to cut down the load. Speaking on a technical perspective I think this would be possible to be implemented without introducing additional cost to purchase another server by putting the outside map of the castle (or creating a clone of it) on another server which has less load (New World map servers perhaps?). I think map cloning and portal redirecting have already been done in the past just like what you guys did with gramps TI maps and the second floor of Eden HQ (yeah! I know it's only a clone and not the original one)

Posted Image

In the past, the second floor was originally at the same map with the floor (moc_para01). When the clone map of the second floor was introduced, the portal at the stairs going to the second floor have been redirected to a clone which is the main reason why the loading screen now pops up when you go upstairs which wasn't the case back then . The same method could be done as well with the map outside Valfreya which I hope would cut the server load dramatically and improve gameplay. :p_smile:

Edited by Javsy, 27 April 2013 - 04:28 AM.

#2 Temp3MonthAcct

Temp3MonthAcct

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 649 posts
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

I thought this was going to be a troll topic, but it wasn't. This is useful information. Questions: what is iro.ragnarokonline.com? Because that's what I use for tracert.

Suggestion: your disclaimer is in a good spot, but maybe copy it and put it big at the top of the post too, in case someone skims the whole thing. Not necessary though.

#3 VolunteerMod09

VolunteerMod09

Amateur Blogger

• VMod Retired
  • 483 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

This thread will be pinned for GM/CM team and RO players references as it contains REALLY useful information on how to tracert on a map server during WoE and not to tracert on the wrong server.

#4 Javsy

Javsy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

I'm glad you liked it! :thx:

Basically iro.ragnarokonline.com is the same as the iRO's official website (playragnarok.com). If you try to ping the two, you'll notice that they are pointing to the same IP address.

playragnarok.com - 128.241.93.60

Posted Image

iro.ragnarokonline.com - 128.241.93.60

Posted Image

As you can see, they have the same IP address of 128.241.93.60. They are the same thing. Just different names.

Edited by Javsy, 11 March 2013 - 11:44 PM.

#5 MrTyranitar

MrTyranitar

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2298 posts
  • Server:lol

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

How did you find out the IP addresses for those map servers?

Edited by MrTyranitar, 11 March 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#6 Javsy

Javsy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

you can get the IP addresses if you have a packet analysis tool like wireshark to monitor your own traffic (which I believe is legal if you're just checking your own and not other people's). You just need to know what packets to check.

Edited by Javsy, 11 March 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#7 Temp3MonthAcct

Temp3MonthAcct

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 649 posts
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

you can get the IP addresses if you have a packet analysis tool like wireshark to monitor your own traffic (which I believe is legal if you're just checking your own and not other people's). You just need to know what packets to check.

I thought wireshark had stuff in it that makes it easier for people to hack you, but then I went to the wiki and it said it had a bunch of bugs fixed. Did wireshark get safer to use? lol

#8 Ultimate

Ultimate

Ultimate Event Inventor

• Members
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationValhalla Dwarf NPC

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

The mid-tracert gateways you start hopping through are where the delay begins, the final handful of IPs on the tracert aren't going to do much. The map servers aren't somewhere else in the US, just somewhere else at the final destination. So, if you're lagging and you run a tracert to playragnarok.com you'll still get useful results.

#9 neko09

neko09

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:47 AM

Is this applicable for in-game lag as well?
Or just woe lag? Sorry, tbh I dont understand it a bit.

#10 zeldaz3

zeldaz3

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:56 AM

Inside Valfreyja 3 Castle Outside of WOE.
Spoiler

Inside Valfreyja Realm Outside of WOE.
Spoiler

Does that first ping mean it is lag on my side or server side?

#11 Javsy

Javsy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

I thought wireshark had stuff in it that makes it easier for people to hack you, but then I went to the wiki and it said it had a bunch of bugs fixed. Did wireshark get safer to use? lol

I haven't been watching the change logs in wireshark but I guess it won't be a problem if you already know what you're doing. :)

The mid-tracert gateways you start hopping through are where the delay begins, the final handful of IPs on the tracert aren't going to do much. The map servers aren't somewhere else in the US, just somewhere else at the final destination. So, if you're lagging and you run a tracert to playragnarok.com you'll still get useful results.

What I was suspecting what causes the lag spikes during WoE 2 (which I still have to confirm) is due to the high server load which you won't capture if you tracert a different server in the same network. But if you just want to check how the routing affects your latency, it would be fine if you do it on their web server.

Is this applicable for in-game lag as well?
Or just woe lag? Sorry, tbh I dont understand it a bit.

Pretty much it would be applicable to any type of in-game lag but you need to get the map server of the current map where you are lagging to get a more accurate tracert result.

Spoiler

Spoiler

You need to have at least all 3 ping attempts to be consistent with the result. Tracert by default tries to ping each hop 3 times so you won't get a high ping result just because your connection lagged for a split second the exact time you did it.

As of now you won't get much data since you did the tracert outside of WoE time. But at least you now know what is your latency on normal conditions and compare the results on Saturday.

Edited by Javsy, 12 March 2013 - 06:19 AM.

#12 Easly

Easly

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1716 posts
  • Server:ymir/valk

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

The problem with putting the inside/outside of castles on different servers is that some skills (like preserve and rising dragon) go away once you change map servers. this would mean that any shadow chaser walking into a castle thats being precasted at the entrance would lose whatever skills they have copied. this is true for some other skills too but im too lazy to look up which ones.

Edited by Easly, 12 March 2013 - 06:44 AM.

#13 Javsy

Javsy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

The problem with putting the inside/outside of castles on different servers is that some skills (like preserve and rising dragon) go away once you change map servers. this would mean that any shadow chaser walking into a castle thats being precasted at the entrance would lose whatever skills they have copied. this is true for some other skills too but im too lazy to look up which ones.

Now, this really makes sense. If you haven't mentioned it, I wouldn't notice. :wah:

If this would be the case, then moving the outside map to another map server not a viable solution otherwise we'll be seeing another 400+ posts about people raging why they lose their buffs after entering the castle. :pif:

I'm already running out of ideas to make a good suggestion to have the lag fixed. But I'm still not giving up that network and hardware upgrade would be the only thing do :hmm:

Edited by Javsy, 12 March 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#14 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts
  • Playing:Requiem

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

I think you guys are mistaken if you think your ping will be what's causing any sort of freezing or jumping during these times. A ping is simply asking the server hey can you hear me? If it was a problem that would be caused by ping, than you would have this problem all the time. If you are talking about a problem that only occurs during peak times, than the issue is the server not being able to handle the increased load. A ping will not tell you what kind of load the servers are experiencing.

When we think about what the server does. It takes input from the players, calculates the result, and updates the info for the player. Now during normal times, the player typically interacts with around a dozen players if they are not in a town. This means, during each refresh each player sends the server 1 packet for what they are doing, and each receives 12 pieces of information and info on surrounding monsters. Excluding mob information due to how low the data size of this information is. The server sends out a total of 144 pieces of information. Now during WoE, the player could be interacting with 256 players at a time. This means the server gets 1 packet from each player, and sends each player 256 pieces of information during each refresh. That's a total of 65536 pieces of information sent for only 256 players. When you multiply this to the scale of a few thousand players, you can see the server is offloading a lot of information at one time during these times when you have hundreds of players interacting with each other. You also have to remember player data is larger than monster data. The server also does not need to send information to mobs since their data is local.

Edited by Cleffy, 12 March 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#15 zeldaz3

zeldaz3

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

So could the merge have multiplied the packets enough that it would be receiving a substantial difference in packets than before. Lets say it was receiving 1 packet per player could the merge with its massive amount of information caused it to receive 2 packets per player causing an overhaul on the system to handle less than normal? Or am I just making up hooey in my brain :D.

#16 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 15 ms 13 ms 210 ms ae-1.r20.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.1
0]
9 60 ms 451 ms 36 ms ae-5.r20.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.1
68]

This is am sending up to our ISP, looks like a problem occurring on our side of things. About what time was this captured, if you remember?

#17 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts
  • Playing:Requiem

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

So could the merge have multiplied the packets enough that it would be receiving a substantial difference in packets than before. Lets say it was receiving 1 packet per player could the merge with its massive amount of information caused it to receive 2 packets per player causing an overhaul on the system to handle less than normal? Or am I just making up hooey in my brain :D.

Nope, a merge does not make a game magically do something completely different. The problem I see with a merge comes from size of saved character data. It takes all the character data on all the servers and puts them together. So a game like Ragnarok that has had millions of players, its one server holding millions of player data. However, this should not be an issue that causes lag for the server during specific times since that character data size is constant.

The other avenue to look at is the size of character data that makes it into memory. If a player has been playing for a while, the game needs a lot more info than a fresh player. However, this info does not need to be refreshed often so it won't be an issue.

Really the only effect the merge should have had is that there are now more people participating in SvS than before because they are consolidated on 1 server.

#18 zeldaz3

zeldaz3

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

0]
68]

This is am sending up to our ISP, looks like a problem occurring on our side of things. About what time was this captured, if you remember?

2 minutes earlier than the post containing them.

So 2:54 AM PST.

Edited by zeldaz3, 12 March 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#19 Javsy

Javsy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

I think you guys are mistaken if you think your ping will be what's causing any sort of freezing or jumping during these times. A ping is simply asking the server hey can you hear me? If it was a problem that would be caused by ping, than you would have this problem all the time. If you are talking about a problem that only occurs during peak times, than the issue is the server not being able to handle the increased load. A ping will not tell you what kind of load the servers are experiencing.

When we think about what the server does. It takes input from the players, calculates the result, and updates the info for the player. Now during normal times, the player typically interacts with around a dozen players if they are not in a town. This means, during each refresh each player sends the server 1 packet for what they are doing, and each receives 12 pieces of information and info on surrounding monsters. Excluding mob information due to how low the data size of this information is. The server sends out a total of 144 pieces of information. Now during WoE, the player could be interacting with 256 players at a time. This means the server gets 1 packet from each player, and sends each player 256 pieces of information during each refresh. That's a total of 65536 pieces of information sent for only 256 players. When you multiply this to the scale of a few thousand players, you can see the server is offloading a lot of information at one time during these times when you have hundreds of players interacting with each other. You also have to remember player data is larger than monster data. The server also does not need to send information to mobs since their data is local.

Actually I have already thought about this. sending pings and tracerts won't capture the actual processing inside the server. But if the server is stressed with a very high processing load, you would notice it by seeing a few milliseconds of increase.

We can check how long the map servers sends the reply for each requests (character commands like, walking, using a skill, item etc) using the available packet analysis tool on the internet and monitor actual packets the game client sends and get the time it takes to get a reply. Unfortunately only a few players are equipped with the knowledge how to use this kind of diagnostic tool so the next best thing to help them out is (you guessed it) by sending a tracert and pray that the actual pings to map server will reap the actuals.

If gravity could introduce a diagnostic tool which can provide the time distance traveled from end-user to server and time for each request to be processed before sending a reply back, that would help a lot of people report such problems in a very efficient way. Of course I'll say this with full of disclaimers since I must be dreaming that such thing would happen. :p_laugh:

Increase in requests sent to the server will definitely increase the load in one way or another. Sometimes it's just negligible to be noticed. :p_smile:

As far as much as we gather inputs on everyone who posts here, I could only think of 2 possible options at the moment:
  • upgrade server connection and hardware - costs more money
  • ask kRO dev team to retain all the buffs and status of characters everytime you change a map server. Move the map outside of the castle (or make a clone map) to another map server and redirect portals to the map to cut down server load. - cost less (not sure. I don't know if they pay kRO for every request they send) but takes more time to be implemented due to the development cycle needed (code -> testing -> implementation)

#20 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
  • Server:Chaos -> Ymir -> Chaos

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

this got pin but not the whole "bug" thread? ~_~

#21 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 2448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:retired

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

0]
68]

23ms between Dallas and Los Angeles looks very good to me. The variance was already high at hop 1 indicating a problem at the user's end.

Actually I have already thought about this. sending pings and tracerts won't capture the actual processing inside the server. But if the server is stressed with a very high processing load, you would notice it by seeing a few milliseconds of increase.
Increase in requests sent to the server will definitely increase the load in one way or another. Sometimes it's just negligible to be noticed. :p_smile:

Not only does handling ICMP echo requests take minimal resources, it's not the responsibility of the "server" at all ("server" meaning the RO software application, AEGIS or whatever they're calling it now). The OS doesn't care or even know that the puny, unimportant, (relatively) low-priority user-mode application is falling behind in its work. It's just like queueing up video encoding jobs faster than they're being completed--it doesn't affect your ping at all.

Now, this really makes sense. If you haven't mentioned it, I wouldn't notice. :wah:

If this would be the case, then moving the outside map to another map server not a viable solution otherwise we'll be seeing another 400+ posts about people raging why they lose their buffs after entering the castle. :pif:

I'm already running out of ideas to make a good suggestion to have the lag fixed. But I'm still not giving up that network and hardware upgrade would be the only thing do :hmm:

One way is to add a neutral "staging area" to each server. They could be clones of a very small map, such as tha_scene01. Then modify the warps between *_gld/*_cas* so that they go through the intermediate maps. Buffs could be cast on these maps and they wouldn't be lost upon entering the castles because the maps would be on the same server.

E.g. instead of one server hosting sch_gld, schg_cas01, schg_cas02, ..., schg_cas05, you have:
1. server #1 hosting sch_gld
2. server #2 hosting cloned_area_01 and schg_cas01
3. server #3 hosting cloned_area_02 and schg_cas02
etc.

#22 Javsy

Javsy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

One way is to add a neutral "staging area" to each server. They could be clones of a very small map, such as tha_scene01. Then modify the warps between *_gld/*_cas* so that they go through the intermediate maps. Buffs could be cast on these maps and they wouldn't be lost upon entering the castles because the maps would be on the same server.

E.g. instead of one server hosting sch_gld, schg_cas01, schg_cas02, ..., schg_cas05, you have:
1. server #1 hosting sch_gld
2. server #2 hosting cloned_area_01 and schg_cas01
3. server #3 hosting cloned_area_02 and schg_cas02
etc.

Adding a staging area where people can cast the buffs would be a good idea, but if I would be a player using alts to cast buffs, I would probably place it there inside the staging area. And pretty sure everyone will still overload the map server since the staging area and the castle map are theoretically both hosted at the same map server.

And I don't think restricting alts inside the staging area would be a good solution to cut down the traffic. I can forsee people would get mad about it. :ani_swt3:

Edited by Javsy, 12 March 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#23 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

We are compiling a big report for our ISP, if we can get together more tracerts showing an issue happening once the connection reaches our NTT server it would help us quite a bit.

#24 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Our ISP has investigating, and some changes may have been made. For the people who sent in tracerts, please confirm or deny that you are experiencing the same latency. If you are we can get them to escalate further.

#25 jsquishy

jsquishy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

Hi.. I'm experiencing general lag everywhere... Here's my tracert to iro.ragnarokonline.com. Can someone post a guide on how to find the ip for specific (non-woe) maps?

I've tried everything in the forums with little improvement. I always play with /effects off (even though starcraft 2 runs perfectly smoothly). I've tried lowerping and wtfast. I've done the tcp regedit thing. I'm still getting 2s lags between each click and move and get frequently disconnected.

Any solutions?

Tracing route to iro.ragnarokonline.com [128.241.93.60]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms
2 15 ms 70 ms 15 ms
3 22 ms 12 ms 12 ms
4 15 ms 38 ms 14 ms
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
7 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
8 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms
9 66 ms 65 ms 82 ms as-1.r25.tokyjp01.jp.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.114]
10 66 ms 67 ms 65 ms ae-0.r21.tokyjp01.jp.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.72]
11 163 ms 164 ms 164 ms as-0.r21.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.145]
12 175 ms 176 ms 171 ms ae-2.r05.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.86]
13 166 ms 166 ms 173 ms xe-0-0-0-15.r05.lsanca03.us.ce.gin.ntt.net [198.172.90.170]
14 173 ms 176 ms 182 ms portal.demarcation.gravityus.com [204.2.170.50]
15 173 ms 168 ms 168 ms www.playragnarok.com [128.241.93.60]

Trace complete.

Edited by jsquishy, 05 April 2013 - 12:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users