Game running at painfully low FPS - Page 3 - Technical Support - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Game running at painfully low FPS

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#51 Madoenz

Madoenz

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBehind you
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos, Odin

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Boost as in passing 30 FPS or just staying at 30 consistently. Only reason why Im saying 30 cause apparently thats how high it can go.

Mmm... that's odd. I can get as high as 60 FPS, and in a severely populated area it could be down to 20, but rarely goes down any lower. The average FPS is not stable though, about 35 to 55, making the game pretty unsmooth, but playable.

#52 LunareticDawn

LunareticDawn

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Server:Odin

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

I'm having this exact same problem as well, so glad to hear I'm not alone!~

Any official word from WP on this at all, or even an acknowledgement?

Also, for those that are effected by it, do you notice it just in-game? Honestly, I run the launcher and I immediately notice the choppiness. I have all the settings turned down as low as possible, shadow and sun turned off, windowed mode at 32-bit and I'm at a loss for why this is happening even when I'm not connected to anything...

#53 santari.san@gmail.com

santari.san@gmail.com

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

I did as Madoenz suggested my going into the SHIPPING folder and disable those two animations, also since I used steam to install right clicked Ragnarok
2 selected properties went to the third tab down and clicked "Verify integrity of game cache" and repaired some files that were broken. So far the game is running smooth will update if anything changes.

Also I feel like there has been a difference between running in full screen vs windowed at least for me. Windowed I've had no trouble, while previously I used just fullscreen.

Curse steam for setting my nickname as my email...

Edited by santari.san@gmail.com, 04 May 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#54 GunWing91

GunWing91

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

All these "solutions" seem to be coincidence I think you guys really need to look at processes running (in your task manager) and see what's eating up CPU cycles. I'm going to guess it's most likely Windows Defender or some other sort of anti-virus/anti-malware program running a scan on RO2 for some reason.

I say coincidence because eventually the scan stops and your game returns to normal while you've been messing around with settings or looking for solutions.

After a good grind, this same issue happened for me.

Looking through this thread trying the different solutions, this seemed to make sense. Checking Task Manager and processes running, I noticed my CPU usage was going to a program called MsMpEng.exe (Antimalware Service Executable). Upon closing RO2, which was displaying low FPS in the login screen from the get-go, the CPU usage dropped for the program. Opening RO2 caused the program to reactivate, leading to low FPS once again. So building on thegir's post, I agree there is a process conflict with RO2 and the antimalware program.

With Google being my friend and some research, the program is usually associated with users running MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and/or Windows Defender.

The solution is a bit iffy though. So MY immediate response would be to end the process. What happens is an "access denied," which the process wouldn't close. Something I couldn't get around. Running MSE, I checked if there was any scans happening. None. I check Windows Defender (which should be turned off if running MSE) and get prompted to turn it on.

This is where it gets iffy. With the game running in the background, I click to turn on Windows Defender; what happens is a program stall while in the meantime RO2 kicks back to a stable FPS. I had to force close Defender since it was stuck, but upon reopening, it was still turned off.

With Defender off, MSE running, and RO2 stable, I didn't question it, everything was back to normal. I thought to contribute to anyone that can verify and/or build upon my half-butt solution.

INSTRUCTIONS (Run RO2 in the background):
  • Go to Control Panel
  • Find Windows Defender. Open.
  • Depending if you're running MSE, it should be already turned off.
  • Turn it on. (If already on, let me know. I wouldn't know of this scenario yet.)
  • What happens is the window getting frozen. Check RO2 to see any changes.
  • If none, force close the frozen program and check again.
  • If it works or not, leave feedback. For credibility, please check your own security software to see if it's still running for those skeptical about making any unknown changes.
From what I have observed, it seems to reset the background program conflicting with RO2. Responses and feedback from friends so far works. Any questions or concerns please ask.

UPDATE:
So far I have one person not getting a fix from this solution. Helping him out with possible fixes, will update eventually.

UPDATE 2:
We were able to get it working after restarting his computer and trying the process all over. He seemed to be able to turn on Windows Defender and view the menu, but froze after a few seconds. In the meantime, his RO2 picked back up and worked.

Edited by GunWing91, 05 May 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#55 omfgheart@hotmail.com

omfgheart@hotmail.com

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

Guys I have solved this problem for myself while tinkering with my computer. The solution is fairly simple!

It started happening after a day of playing ragnarok 2 with perfect fps, and then all of a sudden I play with 2 fps.
I looked up similiar problems on the internet and found that a common connection people had was windows defender (you should never disable this).

What you should actually do is find the folder that contains all the Ro2 files, and exclude it from the windows defender ( Go to windows defender, Go to settings, Go to exclude file types and locations, and find the files for Ro2, [ for steam users this file location is under steam -> steamapps -> common])

Edit: this method doesn't require you to do anything from task manager, its best not to mess with the processes and stuff. Nor will it require you to redownload Ro2 because I know how painful that can be.

Edited by omfgheart@hotmail.com, 04 May 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#56 thegir

thegir

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:13 AM

Looking through this thread trying the different solutions, this seemed to make sense. Checking Task Manager and processes running, I noticed my CPU usage was going to a program called MsMpEng.exe (Antimalware Service Executable). Upon closing RO2, which was displaying low FPS in the login screen from the get-go, the CPU usage dropped for the program. Opening RO2 caused the program to reactivate, leading to low FPS once again. So building on thegir's post, I agree there is a process conflict with RO2 and the antimalware program.

With Google being my friend and some research, the program is usually associated with users running MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and/or Windows Defender.

The solution is a bit iffy though. So the immediate response would be to end the process. What happens is an "access denied." Something I couldn't get around. Running MSE, I checked if there was any scans happening. None. I check Windows Defender (which should be turned off if running MSE) and get prompted to turn it on. This is where it gets iffy. With the game running in the background, I click to turn on Windows Defender; what happens is a program stall while in the meantime RO2 kicks back to a stable FPS. I had to force close Defender since it was stuck, but upon reopening, it was still turned off.

With Defender off, MSE running, and RO2 stable, I didn't question it, everything was back to normal as was.

I thought to contribute to anyone that can verify and/or build upon my half-butt solution.

Guys I have solved this problem for myself while tinkering with my computer. The solution is fairly simple!

It started happening after a day of playing ragnarok 2 with perfect fps, and then all of a sudden I play with 2 fps.
I looked up similiar problems on the internet and found that a common connection people had was windows defender (you should never disable this).

What you should actually do is find the folder that contains all the Ro2 files, and exclude it from the windows defender ( Go to windows defender, Go to settings, Go to exclude file types and locations, and find the files for Ro2, [ for steam users this file location is under steam -> steamapps -> common])

Edit: this method doesn't require you to do anything from task manager, its best not to mess with the processes and stuff. Nor will it require you to redownload Ro2 because I know how painful that can be.

You probably shouldn't disable any anti-virus/anti-malware programs or exclude files/folders from getting scanned. This is a perfect way for people to leave their computers open for attack! There really needs to be a response from WarpPortal about this and some sort of "fix"...and not disable/exclude things.

#57 wasago

wasago

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

hmm same problem here very low fps on Intel cor2duo E7300 2,66 Ghz 2gb ram Nvidia Gforce 210:(

#58 Metalslinger

Metalslinger

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:59 AM

This is stupid, i was playing fine until today, extremly low fps, i want this fixed. For people that can't play, go play neverwinter in the meantime, awsome game.

So after being mad for the whole morning and messing with my computer, everythings seems to be just fine with what i did, so here's whatt worked for me.
For those who are using nvidia, open your nvidia control panel and then go to manage 3d settings, then select a program to customize, search(or add if not here) for launcher2.exe, ro2client.exe and rag2.exe, and turn on Tripple buffering and vertical sync on those three. (Must be using the high-performance nvidia processor as the preferred graphic proccesor and not the integrated one).

Edited by Metalslinger, 05 May 2013 - 05:15 AM.

#59 Acidus

Acidus

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

The solution is a bit iffy though. So the immediate response would be to end the process. What happens is an "access denied." Something I couldn't get around. Running MSE, I checked if there was any scans happening. None. I check Windows Defender (which should be turned off if running MSE) and get prompted to turn it on. This is where it gets iffy. With the game running in the background, I click to turn on Windows Defender; what happens is a program stall while in the meantime RO2 kicks back to a stable FPS. I had to force close Defender since it was stuck, but upon reopening, it was still turned off.

With Defender off, MSE running, and RO2 stable, I didn't question it, everything was back to normal as was.

I thought to contribute to anyone that can verify and/or build upon my half-butt solution.

I tried this with a friend and bazinga it worked! thanks for the solution GunWing91, it seems to just resetting whatever executable was causing it to drop the fps lag.

#60 GunWing91

GunWing91

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

You probably shouldn't disable any anti-virus/anti-malware programs or exclude files/folders from getting scanned. This is a perfect way for people to leave their computers open for attack! There really needs to be a response from WarpPortal about this and some sort of "fix"...and not disable/exclude things.

I was explaining my process to the solution and getting closer to the root of the problem.

NO, there is NO need to run TASK MANAGER or turn off WINDOWS DEFENDER or ANY SECURITY SUITE SOFTWARE.

Q: Is Microsoft Security Essentials (XP/Vista/7)designed to replace Windows Defender?
A: No but if you are running Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need to run Windows Defender. Microsoft Security Essentials is designed to disable Windows Defender in order to manage the PC’s real-time protection, including anti-virus, rootkits, Trojans and spyware.

Q: Does installing Microsoft Security Essentials (XP/Vista/7) disable Windows Defender?
A:
Microsoft Security Essentials should disable Windows Defender on Vista and Windows 7 and uninstall it from XP. In some cases, this does not happen automatically.

Q: What happens if I do not disable or uninstall Windows Defender if I am using Microsoft Security Essentials (XP/Vista/7)?
A: If Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender are both running, your system may experience performance degradation and other problems caused by the conflict of two services providing real time protection simultaneously.
SOURCE: http://answers.micro...4f-0dcedb9ab9fd

Like I said before, depending if you're running MSE, Windows Defender should be turned off automatically so not to conflict with MSE. Similar to running a security suite such as Norton and McAfee, what you get is two programs causing resource hogging and conflict with each other because both programs perform the same function but priority goes back and forth.

Edited by GunWing91, 05 May 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#61 Tastey

Tastey

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

Hmm simple Question, though. If u have got MSE and this problem appears, which does around playing some time mostly over the day like for me it works after repairing the files again, but doing it every day kinda sucks, so should MSE dont have this problem?

#62 GunWing91

GunWing91

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

Hmm simple Question, though. If u have got MSE and this problem appears, which does around playing some time mostly over the day like for me it works after repairing the files again, but doing it every day kinda sucks, so should MSE dont have this problem?

Can you rephrase that, having a hard time following, sorry.

#63 thegir

thegir

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

I'm going to guess that if you closed RO2 when you started to get low FPS and "repaired" the files (guessing you're using Steam) the scan stopped and it's just a coincidence that you went back into the game and had no problems.

#64 Velouce

Velouce

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

Just wanted to point out that I use neither Windows Defender nor MSE and still got FPS reducing attacks from the very first time I played iRO2. To add is also, I can run seaRO2 smooth WHILE I have a iRO2 with FPS bug open at the same time.

#65 Tastey

Tastey

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

Can you rephrase that, having a hard time following, sorry.

Ah nvm, just asking, if the FPS problem also appears with MSE. Because everytime the FPS Drop starts, I go to steam and repair it. 7 files seem to be damaged or something, that what Steam told me after the verfiy of Data. So afterwards I repaired it, it works fine. Launcher just downloads some files and finished. I suppose, that the "reinstalling" is kinda the same, but takes a lot more time, than steam repair. So if its really not based on MSE(Where I now excluded RO Files & Exe), than this problem maybe not related to Malwareprogram. Not for everyone though.

@thegir

So you think, that the damaged Data is caused by MSE? I mean, I never really saw it scaning or anything while playing. Also why should the files be broken? I will try it again now without MSE or Defender activated, just in Case I also excluded Ro as i wrote before. If my Problem appears again, than ive got proof, that its not related to Malewareprogrames for everyone, just guessing, why should people reinstall if its a Scan Problem of Defender or MES, when they could just shut it off/exclude and run RO again.

Edited by Tastey, 05 May 2013 - 09:41 PM.

#66 LancelotLake

LancelotLake

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

For Steam users who have this issue while having memory to spare, such as myself, I suggest verifying the integrity of the game cache. Doing this, steam found 7 broken files, replaced them, and now it works fine for me.

To do this, right click the game on your steam library -> click properties -> click the Local Files tab -> The bottom option should be to "verify integrity of game cache..." -> Click that, wait for possibly a few minutes and if it's the same problem, you'll be good to go. Note that it sometimes likes to stop at 99% or 100% for a while, give it time and it usually finishes.

#67 Tastey

Tastey

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

For Steam users who have this issue while having memory to spare, such as myself, I suggest verifying the integrity of the game cache. Doing this, steam found 7 broken files, replaced them, and now it works fine for me.

To do this, right click the game on your steam library -> click properties -> click the Local Files tab -> The bottom option should be to "verify integrity of game cache..." -> Click that, wait for possibly a few minutes and if it's the same problem, you'll be good to go. Note that it sometimes likes to stop at 99% or 100% for a while, give it time and it usually finishes.

yeah thats what I am doing like everyday^^ Its the same as reinstalling except its much faster cuz u just redownload the broken files. But u will have this issue like once a day dunnow why, but its really only a temporary solution.

#68 thegir

thegir

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:45 AM

Just wanted to point out that I use neither Windows Defender nor MSE and still got FPS reducing attacks from the very first time I played iRO2. To add is also, I can run seaRO2 smooth WHILE I have a iRO2 with FPS bug open at the same time.

Note:
  • This may not just be a MSE/WD problem, this may happen with other anti-virus/anti-malware programs.
  • Sudden and short drops in FPS is a problem but probably more from partical/spell effects.
  • *RO2s could be completely different executables with differing data given: localization, patch level, generally different builds for each region, meaning this could be an iRO2 specific problem when scanning.

Ah nvm, just asking, if the FPS problem also appears with MSE. Because everytime the FPS Drop starts, I go to steam and repair it. 7 files seem to be damaged or something, that what Steam told me after the verfiy of Data. So afterwards I repaired it, it works fine. Launcher just downloads some files and finished. I suppose, that the "reinstalling" is kinda the same, but takes a lot more time, than steam repair. So if its really not based on MSE(Where I now excluded RO Files & Exe), than this problem maybe not related to Malwareprogram. Not for everyone though.

@thegir

So you think, that the damaged Data is caused by MSE? I mean, I never really saw it scaning or anything while playing. Also why should the files be broken? I will try it again now without MSE or Defender activated, just in Case I also excluded Ro as i wrote before. If my Problem appears again, than ive got proof, that its not related to Malewareprogrames for everyone, just guessing, why should people reinstall if its a Scan Problem of Defender or MES, when they could just shut it off/exclude and run RO again.

Alright, let me try to explain this a little better. Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows 7 and below) and Windows Defender (Windows 8) have a real-time protection feature. Basically it scans processes that are running and probably look at any new files that have been/are being created. Once in a while something happens (don't know if it's RO2-side or Windows Defender-side (can't really find anything about it here so it's probably something happening to the RO2 process)) where Windows Defender will begin "scanning" RO2 and does so in such a way that it will slow down the operation of RO2 (I say this because I don't think 14% CPU, at least on my computer, will generally cause this much of a drop in framerate or execution). When the real-time protection "scan" is complete, everything will return to normal. Sometimes this will take several minutes or a lot longer.

MSE/WD will NOT damage any of the data/files anywhere. It is just running heuristics to determine if a file/process is malicious.

I know that this is not the problem for everyone reporting a problem with FPS but I'm going to guess it's a majority and that while people are messing around with settings/whatever the "scan" completes and it is just coincidence that people are seeing the problem "resolved".

As for scanning with Steam finding files that are broken, I would guess that if you were to run the scan twice in a row you will still get the 7 "broken" files (or once, open RO2, and scan again, hashes for files are probably different after running the patcher and whatnot).This is the whatever you are doing that will coincidentally "solve" the problem.

Edited by thegir, 06 May 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#69 Tastey

Tastey

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

As for scanning with Steam finding files that are broken, I would guess that if you were to run the scan twice in a row you will still get the 7 "broken" files (or once, open RO2, and scan again, hashes for files are probably different after running the patcher and whatnot).This is the whatever you are doing that will coincidentally "solve" the problem.

So its just a coincidence? seems funny. So whats ur Solution? Just excluding Ro Files from getting scaned by MSE/Defender?

Edited by Tastey, 06 May 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#70 thegir

thegir

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

So its just a coincidence? seems funny. So whats ur Solution? Just excluding Ro Files from getting scaned by MSE/Defender?

Most likely. My personal solution is just to wait it out. I wouldn't exclude the files because for some reason RO2 needs to run with elevated privileges. I don't like the idea of leaving that unprotected in case there is some sort of compromise, which could happen anyway...

It is however your computer and your choice to exclude RO2.

I have opened a ticket with WarpPortal and hopefully they respond to something.

#71 kheizzer

kheizzer

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

is a bottleNeck CODE problem is a big problem with the game engine they make and im really sure they cant fix them

Edited by kheizzer, 06 May 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#72 Yenova

Yenova

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

I had the same problem with the fps suddenly being extremely low and just as GunWing91 mentioned it seemed to be the fault of Windows Defender, even tough it didn't used up much CPU usage.
My Solution (at least for Win8):
  • Open Windows Defender (Control Panel)
  • Go to Settings
  • then "Exceptional Processes" (or something like that. I don't know if the translation is right)
  • Search for "Rag2.exe" (default path: C:\Programm Files (x86)\Gravitiy\Ragnarok Online 2\SHIPPING\)
  • Add it
  • done
I hope it helps at least someone.

#73 Amagam

Amagam

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

I also just set down the Sunlight Effekt and i don't really know what's wrong with the game but it worked x'D
i was wondering because games like Aion and WoW worked all with High FPS on my PC without laggs or something else :D

#74 notxok

notxok

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US
  • Server:Odin - Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

I have tried just about everything in this thread. My FPS never really goes past 60 generally this is do to vsync which I think may be forced on within the client. Regardless my FPS is on the high end 50-60 until I hit towns or certain NPCs when it doe snot get past 30 and can drop to 22. I have tried setting all settings to absolutely nothing and have seen no change. I believe the issue is within the games engine / programming.

#75 codifieri

codifieri

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

http://youtu.be/OUCqWDj_FoE I recommend 720p to see that it clearly runs smooth as butt and there isn't any graphical stuttering.

This is a Ragnarok Online 2 video SEA version. Just look at the video, how smooth the gameplay is. This is how the game should be. But nope, in here we are getting graphical stuttering and FPS drops everywhere. This has to be an issue that only happens in Warp Portal's version of Ragnarok Online 2.

I hope Warp Portal will response for this issue, atleast it's not our PCs or any programs that are causing it. If you still don't believe it from the video I linked, you can look up to more SEA videos, because they are all smooth as butt.

PS. I tested all the "solves" for these problems people have posted here in forums, none of them worked, just too bad.

Edited by codifieri, 07 May 2013 - 01:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users