RO2 & iRO Timeline - Page 4 - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

RO2 & iRO Timeline

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#76 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

I still find it cute when people complain about the cities/geographic differences between RO1 and RO2.

I seem to recall only one person delving into why in iRO you have the city of Payon, but in the Manga you have Fayon. (which has, supposedly been destroyed and is buried under Payon). Yet you rename a city in RO2 or you turn Prontera around and it's like holy -_-, you can actually do that? THINGS CHANGE OVER TIME?

But seeing the actual inconsistencies in the story is interesting. Then again, isn't RO1 supposed to go to episode 15 before the story wraps up? And we're in like... 14.1? It'll be stupid if they end up trying to retro-fit the story line to segue into RO2 "properly".

Edited by Jaffer, 23 May 2013 - 07:31 AM.

#77 ODKN

ODKN

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Location????, Nebraska
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Odin

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

Posted Image

THat picture has the same eyes as the Saintess. >_> I wonder who that is.

ALso, I could have sworn it was mentioned somewhere that Geffen exploded... Hence the lake?

Edited by ODKN, 23 May 2013 - 07:42 AM.

#78 AmiiMii

AmiiMii

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1537 posts
  • LocationWarpportal Forums (RO2)

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

But it gives me a desperate hope that there might be a dimensional crack into the "Past of Rune-Midgarts" where we could see old fields, towns and dungeons recreated in the same style, but in RO2 assets. I think it would make the game feel more RO than it does if they decided to do it.

Possibilities.

#79 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Loosely based as I mentioned earlier. They share names and some relationships and events, but they're not the same settings. Kinda like alternate universes, "based on" and stuff like that.
Even if we can see lots of familiar names in RO2 from RO1 like Eremes Guille, Holgrem and Zeras Hyperion, they're not supposed to be the very same people as in RO1 (well, not sure about Eremes since I haven't been through the Sograt Desert part of the game yet). Assassin Cross in RO1 also don't have the same strength and implications as in the manwha.

Just picking Chaos. If the manwha happened at any time, it was before RO1, right? The ravine we see in Divided Plains was caused by Randgris after Day of Destruction, and Chaos fought in that "war", so if manwha Chaos and RO2 Chaos are the very same person, that would mean that the ravine and the barren environment was created before RO1. However, all the way from Payon to Alberta in RO1 is lush green forest without any kind of high or deep obstacle. That would mean that Randgris created the ravine between RO1 and RO2 and Chaos fought Frayja then and there. However, the manwha can't take place AFTER RO1.

RO2 occurs 300 years after the end of RO1. Eremes in RO2 is either a clone or a reincarnation. Same could be said of Zeras.

Assassin Crosses in RO1 don't carry the symbol of the Assassins of the Cross, hence they're two different groups of Assassin Crosses.

The manhwa and RO1 are actually part of the same era, considering events in both stories have the A.W. appended to their years. Day of Despair is the conclusion of RO1, which caused the Ragnarok event to happen and hence explains why the world of RO2 is so vastly different from RO1. (Ragnarok marks the rebirth of the world.) I can't remember where I read it, but it's said that RO1 is a continuation of the manhwa (since Lee Myung-jin abandoned the manhwa after starting work on RO1).

Come to think of it, I got into RO1 AFTER Morroc's destruction, and sadly I never got to complete Thanatos Tower. How did those work?

From what I gathered from a New World quest, Rayan Moore got a group of people together, all of them partially controlled by Satan Morroc (makes me think of Call of Cthulhu), and through some rituals around Morroc (and foolish help from adventurers in another quest. "Protect R" was it?) managed to revive Satan, but he was still damaged and fled to Sograt Desert, where he was defeated and, before dying, managed to escape to Jottunheim.
As for Thanatos, I know that he and a group of adventurers went after Satan, with only him and a priest surviving. In the end, Thanatos gave his life away to seal Morroc and a palace was built over the seal. However, I don't know how this relates to the tower and his twisted memories. All that I know is that Rekenber wanted to harness some power related to Satan.

Thanatos died LONG before Morroc was destroyed by Satan Morroc. The one you fight in the tower is his ghost.

That's the pope of Arunafeltz. If you played RO1, you'll find that
Spoiler

As for Geffen, we can't be sure about Geffen yet as the game is still in development. It's possible the developers will add it later and the lake we see on the in-game map right now is just a placeholder.

#80 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

ALso, I could have sworn it was mentioned somewhere that Geffen exploded... Hence the lake?

She's Arunafeltz's Pope. The Pope is always the reincarnation of Freyja (either the body or the soul, I don't remember) and can channel Freyja's words and will.
When a Pope dies, they have to look for a new one. And only the one that physically resembles Freyja can be the pope. For that, they look for a girl that has fair hair and that specific kind of heterochromia.
So yeah, if Miss Lady suddenly appeared in RO1's Arunafeltz, she would cause an uproar.

Yet you rename a city in RO2 or you turn Prontera around and it's like holy -_-, you can actually do that?

What's funnier about Prontera is how it almost completely keeps its old relative shape. I guess turning it around is the only way they found to make the player get to Prontera without going through the castle and without altering the relative arrangement of Prontera-Mt. Mjolnir-Lost Woods. Not like it mattered much for Izlude-Payon-Alberta, though.

#81 Raidius

Raidius

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Locationmy chair

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

aione=randgris

#82 Scott

Scott

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1590 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

Come to think of it, I got into RO1 AFTER Morroc's destruction, and sadly I never got to complete Thanatos Tower. How did those work?

You could still do Thanatos Tower, since it's there, but Thanatos was the seal the held Satan Morroc back. When Adventurers got a little too busy-body with the Tower, they broke the seal and killed Thanatos, which allowed Satan Morroc to burst out a little easier. Adventurer's Adventurin' is literally what ruins the world.

It's briefly touched on in the Manwha.

Edited by Scott, 23 May 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#83 Kiryu

Kiryu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • LocationLily of Elon -Crystal Desert
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows - GW2

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

adding to the answer above, High Priest Zed is one of her keepers in RO1

She's Arunafeltz's Pope. The Pope is always the reincarnation of Freyja (either the body or the soul, I don't remember) and can channel Freyja's words and will.
When a Pope dies, they have to look for a new one. And only the one that physically resembles Freyja can be the pope. For that, they look for a girl that has fair hair and that specific kind of heterochromia.
So yeah, if Miss Lady suddenly appeared in RO1's Arunafeltz, she would cause an uproar.

What's funnier about Prontera is how it almost completely keeps its old relative shape. I guess turning it around is the only way they found to make the player get to Prontera without going through the castle and without altering the relative arrangement of Prontera-Mt. Mjolnir-Lost Woods. Not like it mattered much for Izlude-Payon-Alberta, though.

Actually why it throw me the directions out of the loop (they move the castle) the old training grounds ingame are actually north of the south prontera, the original trainign grounds exist between the labyrinth with original baphomet and more north it exist the Sealed Baphomet... I think all those BBs and DBs damage the place too much...

You could still do Thanatos Tower, since it's there, but Thanatos was the seal the held Satan Morroc back. When Adventurers got a little too busy-body with the Tower, they broke the seal and killed Thanatos, which allowed Satan Morroc to burst out a little easier. Adventurer's Adventurin' is literally what ruins the world.

Actually, like usual there is more to it... What is more amusing is that Satan Morroc himself was escaping something from the "Ash Vacuum/New World" and the Assassin Cross guild was in charge of stopping the human sacrifices until we fail... and the current situation arised...

And for people asking about izlude, izlude population is made know to the player that is slowly sinking more each year... and the current izlude could actually be the small hill by the south prontera beach.

#84 Scott

Scott

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1590 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

Actually, like usual there is more to it...

Yes, but it's fun to explain one core aspect in such a way.

#85 AmiiMii

AmiiMii

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1537 posts
  • LocationWarpportal Forums (RO2)

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

The Day of Despair is pretty interesting, as its like between the RO1/RO2 Timeline during the time
(Baphomet was dead, guardian fuses himself into baphomets body and bapho is alive again)

I wonder what the rebuilt morocc would look like too, since the destruction of morocc and the years after which hops onto the RO2 timeline, we've seen road of blessings which is partially the ruins of it too.

Edit: This is also the seal morocc was under

Posted Image

Edited by AmiiMii, 24 May 2013 - 02:53 AM.

#86 Kiryu

Kiryu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • LocationLily of Elon -Crystal Desert
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows - GW2

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

Yes, but it's fun to explain one core aspect in such a way.

Yeah well, I have done a lot of quest and click a lot of stuff... I still don;t know if Eremes was the famous sinX who was gonna get married on those newspapers at Juno Library xD

also those Jellopies recipe from RO2... are in the Juno library of RO1 xD

#87 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:42 AM

Hmm. Weird to see that Thanatos' sealed "dark" memories and emotions in a tower in the other corner of the world acted as a seal over Morroc too.
If I'm not wrong, Rekenber thought the the power con actively CONTROL Satan Morroc was hidden in the tower, right? I'd say karma got them back for their greed, but it didn't affect them in the slightest.

Anyways, the place was in ruins. A couple centuries more without Rekenber restoring its lower floors and the tower would have collapsed.

Yeah well, I have done a lot of quest and click a lot of stuff... I still don;t know if Eremes was the famous sinX who was gonna get married on those newspapers at Juno Library xD

It was a different one. Eremes is the only 2-1 class in Regeschim that isn't found anywhere else. As I heard someone say once, it means he was very good at his work.
-Seyren Windsor: an NPC goes by that name in one of the god items quests, I think
-Margaretha Sorin: redemptio quest. A priest that learned redemptio on her own when the rest of her party had been wiped out. She was promoted to high priest, sent to Lighthalzen to investigate and has been mising ever since (each time you kill her, you're killing the most proficient and generous priest known to the Rune-Midgards kingdom).
-Howard Alt-Eisen: the blacksmith in the Sign quest is called Alt-Eisen and is looking for his missing father
-Cecil Damon: an NPC in the (old?) hunter guild went by the name of Cecil
-Kathryne Keyron: I actually don't remember this one, but I think it was like Cecil.

adding to the answer above, High Priest Zed is one of her keepers in RO1

And even funnier is that he was a pacifist at heart and resented how his moderate faction was collaborating with Rekenber's research (who were also collaborating with the extremists by giving them weapons, the bastards were in a win/win situation).

The manhwa and RO1 are actually part of the same era, considering events in both stories have the A.W. appended to their years.

I guess I'll have to re-read it. I remember putting it aside because there were lots of inconsistencies between RO and it.

Edited by Nereida, 24 May 2013 - 01:47 AM.

#88 FallingGrace

FallingGrace

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:16 AM

The timeline of RO reminds me of the Legend of Zelda...

Posted Image

#89 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

I guess I'll have to re-read it. I remember putting it aside because there were lots of inconsistencies between RO and it.

I think most of the inconsistencies between Ragnarok and RO are due to translation errors. We need someone who has read the original Korean version of the manhwa and played kRO to be sure of the stories' connections.

#90 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

I think most of the inconsistencies between Ragnarok and RO are due to translation errors. We need someone who has read the original Korean version of the manhwa and played kRO to be sure of the stories' connections.

The inconsistencies I detected back then were much larger than just words or how homunculus look. Like settings, kingdoms and else.

Speaking of settings, I heard that the ruins inside Payon cave could be Fayon. But that kinda clashes with RO2 saying that the cave was built to honour the ninetails that lost his life protecting Payon. Not to mention that Fayon being more ancient than Payon would contradict Chaos existing after RO1, according to RO2.

#91 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

The inconsistencies I detected back then were much larger than just words or how homunculus look. Like settings, kingdoms and else.

Speaking of settings, I heard that the ruins inside Payon cave could be Fayon. But that kinda clashes with RO2 saying that the cave was built to honour the ninetails that lost his life protecting Payon.

Keep in mind it's kind of unreasonable for Gravity's developers to recreate Ragnarok's towns and cities in RO in full. Prontera in the manhwa is HUGE and the castle was even bigger (since it housed a Heart of Ymir). The RO recreation of the manhwa towns are simply a fraction of their manwha size. (Do you REALLY want to walk through the manhwa version of Payon, which would take up about 5-6 maps if accurately portrayed in RO?)

As for Payon's story, I speculate that RO's Payon was built over the manhwa Payon, since in the Payon Cave's deepest levels you eventually come across the ruins of old homes and such. In addition, the village lord you meet in RO's Payon is not Lord Irine, which reinforces the notion that RO's Payon is pretty much New Payon. The cave in RO2 was to honor the Nine Tails that lost his life protecting Payon during the Day of Despair, which happened LONG after Sara's attack on (old) Payon.

So in short:

manhwa Payon --> destroyed by Sara --> rebuilt in RO ---> destroyed by Day of Despair --> Payon ruins in RO2

At this point, I wouldn't say RO1 happened before or after the manhwa. From what I can gather, since both stories take place within the same era, it makes more sense that they're taking place around the same time. So while Chaos and company are traveling through Midgard in the manhwa, we're having our own adventures in other parts of the Ragnarok world in RO around the same time or between events in the manhwa. Think of it as a cubism painting, in that several moments from the past and present are shown to us all at once.

Not to mention that Fayon being more ancient than Payon would contradict Chaos existing after RO1, according to RO2.

Chaos isn't supposed to exist after RO1, according to Gravity developers.

#92 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

Chaos isn't supposed to exist after RO1, according to Gravity developers.

Then how could he stop a rampaging Freyja, which couldn't happen but a few years after RO1 at its earliest?

Anyways, I never talked about the size of the cities, but rather their alignation and other important details, like that Ymir heart piece. I'd also expect that in Payon were destroyed and rebuilt in such a short timespan someone would mention it.

As I see it, RO1 is a retelling of the Ragnarok manwha. A similar setting with some similar events but a different story altogether. Of course there will be parallel elements that fit perfectly, but there will also be many others that can't co-exist.
Like the Black Rock Shooter OVA vs the TV anime... let me think about a better analogy... the bottomline is "a story based on another story with parallel names and elements but that isn't meant to happen in the same universe".

#93 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

Chaos and the others sealed away Freyja during the Day of Despair, which ends the RO1 story. Ragnarok happens and A.W. era ends at that point. Once the world was reborn after Ragnarok, we begin the Neu Era. Then 310 years after the start of Neu Era is when our story in RO2 begins (because the Freyjanity kidnapped us 10 years ago). Our job in RO2 is to make sure Freyja stays imprisoned, no help from Chaos required.

The world map as it is in RO2 is a work in progress so I'm not taking the current locations of Prontera and such as definitive yet. I'm going to wait until they release more cities before I start analyzing the geographical changes that occur between RO1 and RO2.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 28 May 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#94 hermengarde

hermengarde

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

Though nobody made reference of it yet, there's one more apparent inconsistency in the games' timelines.
Maya has been around RO1 for quite a long time. However in RO2 when we read through Jacob's journal he talks about a girl named Maya (I'm assuming Maya Rembrandt whom we meet in the Trauma) who ran away with a part-bug chimera body. From a Chimera creation project he himself worked on for the Freyjanity, as far as I was able to understand.
So... If we're to take the events in both games as true and consistent:

1. For just HOW LONG has the Freyjanity been around? Weren't they supposed to have shown up only after Arunafeltz was gone?
2. What about Jacob, is he really over 310 years old or...? Though that would seem to justify his madness. Who the hell lives for that long and remains sane?

This whole thing only makes sense if we're talking about two different half-bug Mayas in two different eras. But I find that a bit far-fetched... Unless the Freyjanity tried to recreate the original Maya. (The name sounds way too coincidental though ._.)

I don't know if introducing a new inconsistency from the ones already stated here is a good idea, but I never got to do many quests in RO1. To this day I still want to find some place on the internet with walkthroughs of every major quest (that isn't simply a guide).

#95 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

The Maya thing is one of those times when they try to give a story to a loved "character" as fanservice but then mess up the cronology unintentionaly. Let's just assume these are two different Mayas. Afterall, Maya Purple here doesn't live to flee and get to Morroc as he is intercepted as soon as he's born.
If we want to be funny, in addition to "a wizard did it" we can say "she fell down one of those dimension cracks the Freyjanity has been opening".

Although this makes me doubt how reliable Wolyahwa's story is, but that can still be shielded in that we don't know how long ago the original nine tails arrived, how long ago Payon died and how long ago the nine tails started attacking.

Edited by Nereida, 01 June 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#96 ODKN

ODKN

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Location????, Nebraska

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

The Maya thing is one of those times when they try to give a story to a loved "character" as fanservice but then mess up the cronology unintentionaly. Let's just assume these are two different Mayas. Afterall, Maya Purple here doesn't live to flee and get to Morroc as he is intercepted as soon as he's born.
If we want to be funny, in addition to "a wizard did it" we can say "she fell down one of those dimension cracks the Freyjanity has been opening".

Maya Purple is just a failed clone of Maya, as is shown in the Hell cutscene and mentioned in her card.

#97 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

1. For just HOW LONG has the Freyjanity been around? Weren't they supposed to have shown up only after Arunafeltz was gone?
2. What about Jacob, is he really over 310 years old or...? Though that would seem to justify his madness. Who the hell lives for that long and remains sane?

This whole thing only makes sense if we're talking about two different half-bug Mayas in two different eras. But I find that a bit far-fetched... Unless the Freyjanity tried to recreate the original Maya. (The name sounds way too coincidental though ._.)

I don't know if introducing a new inconsistency from the ones already stated here is a good idea, but I never got to do many quests in RO1. To this day I still want to find some place on the internet with walkthroughs of every major quest (that isn't simply a guide).

Freyjanity (the group) is inferred to be a recent development in the Ragnarok timeline. (Formed after the fall of the Ashkaron Empire, which was formed some time after Rune-Midgarts was re-established in the current era.) Dr. Jacob being in his 40s or 50s would fit in fine with the kidnapping of Rune-Midgarts children (us players) for the Heart of Ymir experimentations.

As for Maya, I believe RO1's Maya was destroyed during the Day of Despair and the RO2 Maya is a different incarnation. RO2's world is pretty much a realm reborn since Ragnarok took out the RO1 world.

#98 HunkSurvivor

HunkSurvivor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1433 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

RO2 is a prequel, Eremes is Alive, Drake is not an undead guy, Randrigs not unleashed yet, Maya purple creation; etc.

#99 Disenchanter

Disenchanter

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

RO2 is a prequel, Eremes is Alive, Drake is not an undead guy, Randrigs not unleashed yet, Maya purple creation; etc.

Is a sequel...

SPOILER Aionne is the "Randris's Reincarnation" (almost...).

Drake is undead (is a cursed ghost ship after all):

Card Description:

On the Day of Despair, Drake courageously led a group of pirates to face Valkyrie Randgris but lost the battle. Only the darkness of the eternal deep sea surrounds him now. "Where are you!! You with the bloody, cursed spear carried in abominable white wings!! I, Drake, will tear your wings off and pierce your body with your own spear!!"

Eremes is alive because (spoiler):'

Spoiler

Edited by Zanbee, 02 June 2013 - 11:24 AM.
Added the spoiler tag

#100 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:01 AM

Maya Purple is just a failed clone of Maya, as is shown in the Hell cutscene and mentioned in her card.

That doesn't change what I said: the Maya Purple in RO2 never got the chance to meet Maya.

Drake is undead (is a cursed ghost ship after all):

Card Description:

On the Day of Despair, Drake courageously led a group of pirates to face Valkyrie Randgris but lost the battle. Only the darkness of the eternal deep sea surrounds him now. "Where are you!! You with the bloody, cursed spear carried in abominable white wings!! I, Drake, will tear your wings off and p...

That makes it sound like Drake was ALIVE before day of destruction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users