This game is awesome. - Page 5 - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

This game is awesome.

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#101 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Between Servers

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

I often wondered if I was accidentally playing the old RO2 or some heavily modified private sever because the game was so unbelievably dull I couldn't fathom how anyone could enjoy the game. The combat was so -_- slow and uninteresting, like just spam 2 skills for a minute to kill one monster that ignores how much range you have on it because of buggy gameplay. Every single quest is either talk to "blank" or kill 10 boars.
My theory is people have such limited exposure to mmos they find this simple watered down wow clone, they set zero expectations for a free game, and are absorbed into the music and kawaii. How can a game "this good" be free, they feel lucky that found it. It's not difficult, or confusing, it's so linear, you just do the same mundane quest over and over, skills and stats have no bearing on gameplay so there are no nasty negative consequences.
If you can't believe mcdonalds sells double cheeseburgers for ONLY $1 you probably think this game is tops. If $1 cheeseburgers from mcdonalds make you less hungry thinking about them, you probably think this game is colorful trash.
By all means if you enjoy simple gameplay, colorful environments, and soothing music, then play this.
If you have real expectations of a free game, there is by all means much, much better mmos out there, free mmos that actually work for intuitive and pleasantly challenging gameplay.
Path of Exile, often called the real Diablo 3, Serenia Fantasy, described as the first playable browser mmo (it is gorgeous, fun, and surprisingly deep), League of Legends which proved free doesn't mean cheap. These previously mentioned titles are all free to play and show that we should expect a great deal from free mmos.
If you want the mmo equivalent of colored sugar water then sit and enjoy this purple drink. If you want nutrients, caffeine, challenging flavors, there are real mmos out there and we should not pretend to expect nothing from a free mmo.
Yes I realize I used all food metaphors.

Edited by IronPlushy, 15 May 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#102 Atrytone

Atrytone

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

I love this game ^_^

#103 sevenup

sevenup

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Server:Odin-Channel 20

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

I often wondered if I was accidentally playing the old RO2 or some heavily modified private sever because the game was so unbelievably dull I couldn't fathom how anyone could enjoy the game. The combat was so -_- slow and uninteresting, like just spam 2 skills for a minute to kill one monster that ignores how much range you have on it because of buggy gameplay. Every single quest is either talk to "blank" or kill 10 boars.
My theory is people have such limited exposure to mmos they find this simple watered down wow clone, they set zero expectations for a free game, and are absorbed into the music and kawaii. How can a game "this good" be free, they feel lucky that found it. It's not difficult, or confusing, it's so linear, you just do the same mundane quest over and over, skills and stats have no bearing on gameplay so there are no nasty negative consequences.
If you can't believe mcdonalds sells double cheeseburgers for ONLY $1 you probably think this game is tops. If $1 cheeseburgers from mcdonalds make you less hungry thinking about them, you probably think this game is colorful trash.
By all means if you enjoy simple gameplay, colorful environments, and soothing music, then play this.
If you have real expectations of a free game, there is by all means much, much better mmos out there, free mmos that actually work for intuitive and pleasantly challenging gameplay.
Path of Exile, often called the real Diablo 3, Serenia Fantasy, described as the first playable browser mmo (it is gorgeous, fun, and surprisingly deep), League of Legends which proved free doesn't mean cheap. These previously mentioned titles are all free to play and show that we should expect a great deal from free mmos.
If you want the mmo equivalent of colored sugar water then sit and enjoy this purple drink. If you want nutrients, caffeine, challenging flavors, there are real mmos out there and we should not pretend to expect nothing from a free mmo.

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Alot of people are saying it's a "wow clone" but every mmo that came after wow has been labeled a wow clone. LOTRO, Conan, SWTOR.

I feel like that's saying every RPG that came after Dungeons and Dragons (like mid to late 70s) was a clone. Most RPGs have stats like Dex, Str and so on. But it may have very similar styles, but if people like it then who gives a flip. I feel like every time a new MMO releases the bandwagoners jump right on board and try to look at all the negatives, when all I want is to play a fun game with people who enjoy it. Yea it's gonna be similar to WOW, if the formula works then why change it?

But that's just my little rant, and it's not towards you, it's just in general. Thanks :)

#104 Odysseys

Odysseys

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationEST
  • Server:Odin

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

Going to be honest, I don't disagree with anything you said. Combat is terrible, there are redic amount of bugs for a game months old, and yes the quests have no variety at all. Kill such and such or catch this creature with the dumb mallet. With that being said, I doubt many people play this game for any of that. More over I doubt many of these people will be playing as actively in a month. The main draw of RO2 is the fact it's lore follows RO. Besides that, it's a niche game. I think the biggest feature for me that I like personally is probably going to be WoE. Colo is kind of blahhh imo, due to the current combat bugs and sloppy interface. But it'll slat my hunger for blood for now. Hey and anyway, you can always take a month off and come back. I promise to rage enough to change at least some of the bad in this game.

#105 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

Everything in this thread pretty much comes down to different strokes for different folks.

Anyways, I'm just going to leave this here and see what the reaction is.

http://www.examiner....ong-steam-users

#106 Bonburner

Bonburner

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

RO2 is a fun game .. but when you critique it - it's pretty bad.
It's running on a severely outdated/weak engine, very buggy, terrible target mechanics, awkward pvp and pvp 'balance', boring items: either offensive/defensive, outdated Tank/Healer/DPS/Hybrid roles, etc.
Still its fun, unfortunately this game won't last very long .. I'm already looking around for a different game .. or I might go back to RO2 2

#107 Kiryu

Kiryu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • LocationLily of Elon -Crystal Desert
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows - GW2

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

- Stealth\Hide mechanics (it basically feels and plays 100% same as WoW Rogue /w Vanish&Prep).
- Deadly Blow (as Eviscerate physical finisher)

Actually Hiding is the 3D version of "STALK" the original Rogue skill from my point of view...

The only explanation to replace Stealth with smoke bomb copy is that I guess its too OP to try to adapt in RO2 current levels/classes (more with the STR bonus)...

maybe for third class they will put the signature ways from the current RO1.. Since Rogues are the mirror of the Assassins and psicological warfare is their main modus operandi

Buuuuuut still they should have make a passive skill that let them go in hiding freely like RO1 in place of a smokebomb -_-...

and in other way...

Deadly Blow and Rolling Cutter are originally GX skills on RO, Actually I was pissed that Rolling cutter was put for rogue but i guess getting dual wielding knives>claws(wolverinekatars), that means in planning for third class they can get "Cross Ripper Slasher" and that skill actually would be scary since is a combo skill (works with spins originally in RO1)

Well I'm happy to have Meteor Assault since thief... but at the same time Rogues have it too T_T

In general if third class are launched like they Devs said, I can see them suffer with this background of skills to try to adapt.

http://irowiki.org/~himeyasha/skill4/

Hell, 36 shortcuts for battlemode plus 2 extras for FA and I still need space on BM for supporting a party on ET/WOE/TI/PVM/MVP/PVP/Randomevents/Questing

anyway, I guess I love RO2 because is "Relaxing" right now... But I know once Woe implement the drama will start again.

#108 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

Yeah, I noticed a bunch of the 1st Class and 2nd Class skillsets in RO2 are 3rd Class and Trans in RO1. In terms of lore, it makes sense since we all have the Heart of Ymir implanted in us.

That just means the ball is in kRO2's court to come up with some unique RO2-exclusive skills for 3rd Classes and Trans here. But I'm not holding my breath.

#109 sephiroso

sephiroso

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

Everything in this thread pretty much comes down to different strokes for different folks.

Anyways, I'm just going to leave this here and see what the reaction is.

http://www.examiner....ong-steam-users

See you'd like to believe that its just a case of different strokes for different folks but the fact is its not. If this was any other IP other than Ragnarok online, i gauruntee you this game would be been regarded as complete and utter -_-. This game has 0 polish, we've basically been delivered a crap-filled sandwich and told its Filet Mignon. The only reason we're all playing is because of how much we loved RO1 and we're hoping this game gets its -_- fixed, but deep down inside we know that never happens. Especially when it comes to f2p games. But we continue our suspension of disbelief and keep trugging along playing until something new and (most likely) better comes along.

I really do want to see this game fix its -_-, but the decisions the devs are making just don't seem like they match up to the promises that they have also made.

#110 Zeonsilt

Zeonsilt

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationZimbabwe

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:31 AM

Like a lot of people in this thread are doing, you're comparing RO (which has 10 years of content) with RO2 (which is just getting started) and that's not really fair to compare the current versions of both games in that regard. If you're going to compare the two, you should be comparing the first version of RO because that's what this version of RO2 is essentially is. If both games had years of content, then I can see some validity in their comparison but to compare them as they are now isn't fair to RO2. Same with WoW.

The problem is RO2 copy/stole many of the key mechanics of WoW and gameplay/classes mechanics in general.I can't feel anything unique from it and this is sad.The only thing that keeps me playing is that nostalgie feeling from RO1.
p.s. Summary,i'm tired of WoW and RO2 is just like 90% of it, /w very little differences(and not a good ones).There's nothing original in this game currently(don't ever try to insert a Colosseum here,even as S rank player it's a joke and not fun,just forced farm for equips).
That's my 50 cents in the ocean of other opinions.

#111 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:41 AM

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Alot of people are saying it's a "wow clone" but every mmo that came after wow has been labeled a wow clone. LOTRO, Conan, SWTOR.

I feel like that's saying every RPG that came after Dungeons and Dragons (like mid to late 70s) was a clone. Most RPGs have stats like Dex, Str and so on. But it may have very similar styles, but if people like it then who gives a flip. I feel like every time a new MMO releases the bandwagoners jump right on board and try to look at all the negatives, when all I want is to play a fun game with people who enjoy it. Yea it's gonna be similar to WOW, if the formula works then why change it?

But that's just my little rant, and it's not towards you, it's just in general. Thanks :)

No see this is the problem. People with limited mmo experience think they have to settle for wow clones when there are genuinely good mmos that are free and inventive. For example all the mmos I mentioned couldn't by any stretch be considered wow clones.
Serenia Fantasy is a low key pixel based browser mmo that is truly old school and a delight to grind for more gears and eggs.
Path of Exile strongly resembles Diablo 2 but the way the indie developers manage core game mechanics makes it truly unique and well designed, managed by a small group that genuinely wants to make a better mmo instead of exploit the broken free to play model.
League of Legends is an amazingly well balanced mmo that is extremely dissimilar to wow that broke the stereotypical pay to win formula so common in free games.
Ragnarok 2 is a cute wow clone with delightful music.
To say any mmo can be considered a wow clone shows how little experience you really have with mmos.
For the record im sunk into guild wars 2 and can't play archaic mmos anymore. Theyre just too slow and formulaic. For people that still enjoy golden era mmos like wow, ragnarok, or maplestory, there are genuinely decent mmos, they're not all wow clones. Geez even dragonsaga was an amazing mmo before gravity got their cheap paws on it and made it a latency nightmare.
If gravity wants their first successful ragnarok sequel they must fix the combat system because it is even duller and slower than wow clones.
The environment is gorgeous, the music is delightful, but the combat is bad, and bad combat won't keep any serious players, and the only way for a free to play mmo to work is to attract hardcore players that dump hundreds per month into the game.
Quiet little wow clones that cant distinguish themselves from the hundred of other wow clones cannot last long.

#112 SOS101

SOS101

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

I baked you a pie!

Edited by SOS101, 16 May 2013 - 02:44 AM.

#113 Zeonsilt

Zeonsilt

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationZimbabwe

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:47 AM

maybe for third class they will put the signature ways from the current RO1.. Since Rogues are the mirror of the Assassins and psicological warfare is their main modus operandi

Buuuuuut still they should have make a passive skill that let them go in hiding freely like RO1 in place of a smokebomb -_-...

and in other way...

Deadly Blow and Rolling Cutter are originally GX skills on RO, Actually I was pissed that Rolling cutter was put for rogue but i guess getting dual wielding knives>claws(wolverinekatars), that means in planning for third class they can get "Cross Ripper Slasher" and that skill actually would be scary since is a combo skill (works with spins originally in RO1)

Well I'm happy to have Meteor Assault since thief... but at the same time Rogues have it too T_T

anyway, I guess I love RO2 because is "Relaxing" right now... But I know once Woe implement the drama will start again.

And i have a Sonic Blow too! Posted Image [Moonlight Dance]
Where's my Full Strip/Weapon strip/Armor strip?RO1 reference here~ :( [offtopic.Rogues in WoW have Disarm /w 8s duration.]

When WoE starts class disbalance will finally "step out from the shadow" and...well..maybe many people will reroll to ranged classes or quit the game.Gravity is very lazy /w major balance updates.(i was keeping my eye closely at kRO1 renewal updates back in the old days).

When i was talking about Deadly Blow,i'm not talking about skill names,but skill mechanics.The more Combo Points you have -> the more skill damage improves.Basic damage + bonus damage on # of combo points.If this skill,for example,was having a Poison dot effect,then it will be different,but it's not.

p.s. You don't need to mention RO1 skills in details,since i played many years in RO1 x))
I wonder what they do /w Rebirth|3rd Classes in RO2.

http://forums.warpportal.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=236&t=116850&qpid=1333634

The Closing part.

Edited by Zeonsilt, 16 May 2013 - 02:55 AM.

#114 Darkeshi

Darkeshi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

re-reposting because its worth it http://forums.irowik...628&postcount=6

#115 Hinano

Hinano

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

Excellent post. The only thing I'd add to that is the fact that ranged classes are now forced to be melee classes. In Ro1 we could hide behind a rock or a wall and snipe if we were archers/mages. Nowdays, stuff goes and attacks THROUGH walls, sniping only brings the monster closer to you and they can magically jump over hills and walls etc. If I didn't have a leveling buddy, I would have quit my wizard ages ago. Sure I sometimes will "tank" the monster while his assassin is healing but I can't constantly be tanking aggro monsters I'm a mushy magic caster! :pif:

#116 sephiroso

sephiroso

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

that truly was an excellent post, couldnt have asked for anyone to put it down any better than that.

#117 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

While I completely agree with the analysis of RO2, RO1 is not like how he described at all. He/she must be referring to when RO1 just started because the vast majority of drops and cards are utterly worthless and if you dont have an AoE build with VIT post 99 then you're gonna struggle.
Anyway solid analysis of RO2, bizarro world comparison to RO1

#118 sephiroso

sephiroso

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

While I completely agree with the analysis of RO2, RO1 is not like how he described at all. He/she must be referring to when RO1 just started because the vast majority of drops and cards are utterly worthless and if you dont have an AoE build with VIT post 99 then you're gonna struggle.
Anyway solid analysis of RO2, bizarro world comparison to RO1

his description of RO1 was pretty solid. you act like you have to use 1 and only 1 stat/skill build to be successful in RO1, you may not be the most efficient but you most certainly weren't locked into only statting vit and aoe build. and when did he ever say every card and drop was the best thing since sliced cheese? all he said was most of the etc drops had a purpose, you could make pots, juice, or save for the hats, making them always useful to -someone- and that sometimes people would need cards that dropped in places they never even set foot on yet because in RO1 there was alternate level spots and plenty of them.

#119 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

his description of RO1 was pretty solid. you act like you have to use 1 and only 1 stat/skill build to be successful in RO1, you may not be the most efficient but you most certainly weren't locked into only statting vit and aoe build. and when did he ever say every card and drop was the best thing since sliced cheese? all he said was most of the etc drops had a purpose, you could make pots, juice, or save for the hats, making them always useful to -someone- and that sometimes people would need cards that dropped in places they never even set foot on yet because in RO1 there was alternate level spots and plenty of them.

Get a clue. If you dont have AoE with VIT no guild or party will want you. And even without a party or guild you'll level painfully slow. And he specifically mentioned baby desert wolf card even though its a trash card that no player should ever use. No one makes their own pots unless theyre ranked. No one makes gear since its far cheaper to buy the weapon from an NPC and enchanting it with an element is an expensive joke. There is no diversity in leveling, everyone knows where to level.
The only 3 cards in the first 40 levels of any remote value is creamy, thara frog, and hydra.
99% of drops are worthless, any other belief is idiotic.

#120 Illana

Illana

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

If they at least kept the card and elemental system in this game it would have been interesting for more than 5 minutes..

#121 scerviche

scerviche

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

If they at least kept the card and elemental system in this game it would have been interesting for more than 5 minutes..

Oh yeah cuz have 5 cards worth using was so interesting back then.

#122 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

In RO1, you mess up your stat build and you mess up your character big time. If you think everyone's stat build in RO1 is different, you're dreaming. Even in Renewal, if your character's stat build doesn't cut it, you're in for a world of hurt. With RO2, they wanted to eliminate the possibility of gimping your character with auto-stats, but still give you some sort of control via the bonus stats. But either way I see it, it's pretty much the same as RO1's problem of everyone making their characters into certain formulaic builds. No one's building their character their own way because no one wants to end up gimped.

#123 Illana

Illana

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Oh yeah cuz have 5 cards worth using was so interesting back then.

I used plenty of different cards on different equip sets depending on where I was actually.

#124 scerviche

scerviche

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

I used plenty of different cards on different equip sets depending on where I was actually.

Yeah i guess its cool to gimp yourself for no reason. There are a handful (if that) of builds/cards worth using. You can use other builds/cards but no one will take you seriously.

#125 coded

coded

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • Location自分の夢に

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

I admit, they have gotten really really greedy which is the reason why the economy is or is going to be horrible. I still think this game is somewhat fun but I know it's just another remake in 3D to make money.
I mean the first one did so well they could of not make it free and gotten more than 3000 people to play it and pay subscription plus have more server , more mod etc, but the choose it to make it non-pay because like I said many times, they know they can make more money this way and cut some budgets and hire only a few people. I mean people have spent $60 just to finish a quest in one month, how much would they have to pay next month to complete another quest? or how much do they have to pay again this month to complete another quest? or get the newest costume they want but can't because it's random? who knows?
The only way we can change if everyone start realizing. We are bending down and taking it from big greedy companies like this one and trusting their words.

Edited by coded, 16 May 2013 - 08:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users