Malaysia/ Singapore RO - Page 4 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Malaysia/ Singapore RO

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
109 replies to this topic

#76 PedroProplayer

PedroProplayer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO Chaos/Renewal

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:17 AM

Could someone list here all the official RO servers still open? And all the ones that closed already, too.

Also, I am all in favor of carrying over Character accounts ONLY. No zeny or Items whatsoever.

#77 Krystabelle

Krystabelle

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

I wouldn't mind meeting more SG/MY players too! I'm SG, living in MY atm.. :) I volunteer for that guide-to-newcomers program.. But I will require some training on the new novice grounds first though :heh:

#78 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

That novice grounds is the only reason I havn't volunteered. I havn't brought a single character through it, and it looks lengthy and confusing.

#79 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

We're working on a quest line that will take players through the new training grounds, clear up some of the confusion. 

#80 meli

meli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2688 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

I'd suggest that you make the default Izlude channel #1 for newly created characters, I've seen some people randomly assigned to other channels and finding the start up place totally empty, they were completely lost. If anyone wants to change channel for a quiet personal learning experience (mainly avoid bots and people crowding some areas) please leave that option, but it's for the best if they start at the main channel where people are walking around and they can ask other players.

Edited by meli, 08 October 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#81 Krystabelle

Krystabelle

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

We're working on a quest line that will take players through the new training grounds, clear up some of the confusion. 

That would be nice.. I got lost myself when I made a new char.. Just one new char and I decided not to make any more.. Haha.. I think the place is too big.. Could it be made into a 1-way kinda place? So new players will know where to go after each npc.. Just a suggestion..

#82 XIII_Eraser

XIII_Eraser

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1448 posts
  • LocationBehind You
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

Our server drop rate is 0.5x, which is 50% lower than usual server. And sorry for those who don't expect bots to be brought into iRO, 99.9% of us are using bot to maintain our characters, out of which, at least 70 to 80% uses bot to farm for Zeny, MVP Cards and rare equipment. Game population for one of the server(Prontera server) in MYS/SGP server is about 2,600 to 3,000 "players" who online every 24 hours/7 days. But, only 1% or lesser, at constant time, are identified human race.

Cool try to bot here and see what happens now we know to watch out for you mRO players.

#83 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

That novice grounds is the only reason I havn't volunteered. I havn't brought a single character through it, and it looks lengthy and confusing.

The main problem with the original Training Grounds and the new Izlude is that the developers are, and still is, in the old-school gaming mindset. Back in the day, video games were all about exploration and experimentation. No one held you by the hand, you had to learn things by trying stuff out. That's why video games have manuals (and still do). It's only in recent years when video game developers actually started put tutorials in their games.

Many first generation MMORPGs followed a similar process: no tutorials in the actual game, instructions on the official website. But nowadays, it seems that many western MMOs have moved on from that while Asian MMOs have lagged behind significantly. Gravity is no different. That is why RO is so open-world in regards to questing (in that you have to actually look for them instead of having quest characters highlighted). But the newer generation of gamers want their hands held because now we live in a time where the phrase "time is money" is king and everyone wants to do things as quickly as possible. Gravity has yet to understand that we live in an age where people don't want to spend time to explore and experiment anymore.

#84 PedroProplayer

PedroProplayer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

The main problem with the original Training Grounds and the new Izlude is that the developers are, and still is, in the old-school gaming mindset. Back in the day, video games were all about exploration and experimentation. No one held you by the hand, you had to learn things by trying stuff out. That's why video games have manuals (and still do). It's only in recent years when video game developers actually started put tutorials in their games.

Many first generation MMORPGs followed a similar process: no tutorials in the actual game, instructions on the official website. But nowadays, it seems that many western MMOs have moved on from that while Asian MMOs have lagged behind significantly. Gravity is no different. That is why RO is so open-world in regards to questing (in that you have to actually look for them instead of having quest characters highlighted). But the newer generation of gamers want their hands held because now we live in a time where the phrase "time is money" is king and everyone wants to do things as quickly as possible. Gravity has yet to understand that we live in an age where people don't want to spend time to explore and experiment anymore.

1379684526207_zps239cdb77.jpg

I don't want to live in this planet anymore.

#85 xLoli

xLoli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1143 posts
  • LocationVirginia, U.S.
  • Server:Valkyrie > Chaos

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

I didn't find the new novice training grounds that confusing, other than a couple of glitches I encountered the last two times I've made chars. You just talk to the moose looking NPC, which directs you to another NPC. Eventually you end up in the Academy (as the second NPC tells you to go North) and you randomly take any little quest in that building you'd like to level up until you're Job Level 10, at which point you're directed upstairs to where the Job Change NPCs are located, and they teleport you out to your respective city. *Huffs.* Run on sentence. o.o But yeah, even though it's not that hard, the original training grounds was a lot simpler I guess. Still, with this layout, you receive a lot more information about game basics that normally you wouldn't know anything about until you've either A.) Played for a few weeks to a month, or B.) Took the time to actually read up on the game. Heck, it was months before I learned about food creation.  :p_laugh: Plus with the new Navigation System, NPC and map locations are now laid out on a silver platter.

I wouldn't mind helping out the newcomers when they arrive. A lot of the friends I have in game already are Malay, and most of the people from that country seem so mellow yellow. <3 Plus Omniscient, a guild I'm in, has lots of new players already who would probably be more than willing to help them out as well.  :p_smile:

#86 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

But yeah, even though it's not that hard, the original training grounds was a lot simpler I guess.

I (and other old generation gamers) were fine with the original Training Grounds. I mean, the NPCs did actually tell you to go explore the castle before setting off to kill monsters. But how many people besides me actually went into that room on the right which had NPCs that explained status effects and went in-depth about skills?

All they really had to do to the original Training Grounds was add more NPCs in the beginning that explained keyboard and mouse mechanics and then connect all of the NPCs into a simple linear quest. First Class jobs are already explained on the official website, did we really need them in-game?

I guess so, seeing as how we now have the Critura Academy. Welcome to the babysitting generation of gamers.

#87 xLoli

xLoli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1143 posts
  • LocationVirginia, U.S.
  • Server:Valkyrie > Chaos

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

I (and other old generation gamers) were fine with the original Training Grounds. I mean, the NPCs did actually tell you to go explore the castle before setting off to kill monsters. But how many people besides me actually went into that room on the right which had NPCs that explained status effects and went in-depth about skills?

All they really had to do to the original Training Grounds was add more NPCs in the beginning that explained keyboard and mouse mechanics and then connect all of the NPCs into a simple linear quest. First Class jobs are already explained on the official website, did we really need them in-game?

I guess so, seeing as how we now have the Critura Academy. Welcome to the babysitting generation of gamers.

I think the new training grounds makes it a bit more interesting when you first start, and the little quests are a fun introduction to the game. I agree, the original training grounds was fine, the website explanation was fine as well,  but eh. I rather like the new system, and hopefully it'll help the newer generation, because as said, gaming has changed significantly in the last ten years. I'd rather see some minor changes made for people who weren't doing MMOs ten years ago and hook more new players then see iRO's player count dwindle bit by bit. 

#88 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

I personally don't mind the new Izlude intro since it actually caters to the explore-and-experiment generation of gamers with a bigger area. And I've come to terms with the new generation of gamers' desire to be babysat.

My only pet peeve with the new Izlude, however, is that there is an Arunafeltz fountain in the middle of a Rune-Midgarts town. What the heck is that about? :hmm:

#89 Toxn

Toxn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3511 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

that fountain is extremely out of place..

#90 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

Uhh, obviously it is a gift of friendship donated by the Arunafeltz States when an airship traveling from there to izlude crashed into old Izlude, and had to be rebuilt. Since the pilot was based out of Rachel and was drunk on Warg Bloog Cocktails, Arunafeltz had  to pay out insurance claims (if only Morroc had taken out a pre-Satan policy) and with this the Criatura Academy was funded.

#91 Toxn

Toxn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3511 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.

#92 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

Uhh, obviously it is a gift of friendship donated by the Arunafeltz States

Funny, 'cause this reminds me of the story of the Trojan Horse... <<

#93 PedroProplayer

PedroProplayer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

When I first made a character there, it reminded me VERY STRONGLY of when you make a character in TES:Morrowind. I almost expect Jiub to wake me up, and then the NPC inside to tell me "Ah yes, we've been expecting you."

#94 T3chnowitch

T3chnowitch

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • LocationNiffelheim

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

This is absolutely true, and I hate it.  I hate in-game walkthroughs and tutorials, especially in RPGs and MMOs.  It's insulting to my intelligence and it's destructive to the community.  If everything is spelled out for you right from the get-go, you have no incentive to explore your class and experiment with builds or talk to other, more experienced people for advice.  It's horrible.

#95 D111

D111

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4543 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Here's the official word regarding transfers:

Aww, at the very least allow them to transfer their characters. :(

I agree adding life to our servers would be nice.

By letting them bring characters over at least they may choose to stay.

I would even be fine with letting them bring gear, as long as it was the same gear we have on our server.

But if we only say they can make characters we are not going to get many at all.

Such a shame.

#96 T3chnowitch

T3chnowitch

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • LocationNiffelheim

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Funny, 'cause this reminds me of the story of the Trojan Horse... <<

To be fair, the tensions between Rune-Midgard and Arunafeltz are not due to aggressive actions taken by the theocratic government of Arunafeltz.  The people who've polluted Rachel's holy ground and started picking fights with the Odinists of Rune-Midgard are basically a seperatist sect within the Church of Freya that don't really seem to answer to the child Pope.  The other priests and priestesses of Freya within the Grand Temple are perfectly sane, reasonable people that are happy to speak with adventurers from Rune-Midgard.

At least, that's what I got out of the Sanctuary entrance quest storyline.

#97 albaoregine

albaoregine

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

don't

#98 Krystabelle

Krystabelle

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

I sort of agree with this too.. The original training grounds were nice.. It gave people a chance to be done with the first 10levels and can begin to explore the actual world of RO & meet new people.. Being stuck in the current novice place is so dark & lonely.. ^.^ I still think it's too big as a start up point..

Uhh, obviously it is a gift of friendship donated by the Arunafeltz States when an airship traveling from there to izlude crashed into old Izlude, and had to be rebuilt. Since the pilot was based out of Rachel and was drunk on Warg Bloog -_-tails, Arunafeltz had  to pay out insurance claims (if only Morroc had taken out a pre-Satan policy) and with this the Criatura Academy was funded.

LOL~ Drunk on Warg Blood! Is that an alcohol???

#99 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Well it is a cocktail. 

#100 Exvee

Exvee

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1777 posts
  • LocationZaius (Magma Fire)
  • Server:Chaos/Odin

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

This is absolutely true, and I hate it.  I hate in-game walkthroughs and tutorials, especially in RPGs and MMOs.  It's insulting to my intelligence and it's destructive to the community.  If everything is spelled out for you right from the get-go, you have no incentive to explore your class and experiment with builds or talk to other, more experienced people for advice.  It's horrible.

It's kRO and jRO. Nobody will share you class guides unless they get profit from it. I said many times culture differences affecting MMO games across servers. Korean loves grinding outside TI and alt-tabbing feeding homunculus, we're not...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users