Upcoming Skill Changes; Protector/Commander and More! - Page 7 - Turan Temple - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Upcoming Skill Changes; Protector/Commander and More!

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#151 cosi4zara

cosi4zara

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Playing:Requiem
  • Server:Valdes

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

Even with 20k hp, 5% would only be +1khp. While a mage class, who probably shouldn't even have a hp buff has +2k possible hp buff >.>.

Protectors protect, not just survive. We may not need to buff others defense quite as much, but dont need to get rid of it.  Same with heal. 1 single target sacred hand is fine I would say.

Trust me i wouldn`t mind a good hp buff for prot,would be quite neat but knowing how everyone thinks prot is op i thought it would be better if i only hoped for a 5% rather than the hp recovery one thats currently active.Also as i stated above as long as i can still use all 3 of my HoT`s  just like i use them now i ain`t gonna mind that much about healing others even though it barely does anything in pvp for others considering they have 20k hp and such.

#152 Nikio

Nikio

Battlemagician Class Rep

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Wait, wait...  You can't read feedback about other class changes, which you suggested like... one year ago? Well, okay, korean studio ignored it, but... What are you doing now? Since there are new devs, so why you not making a skill changes on classes, which should be changed like months ago?  PPL which posting their feedback might feel a  bit iggnored.  If you will do it like you doing it right now, all classes are gonna be revamped in 3-4 years, so... lol And im sure, to revamp one class you need  like just 2 weeks or even one is enough.

#153 OKEAH

OKEAH

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

We players Russian server Requiem Online, would like to introduce you to the most serious errors and changes to game balance, we'd like to see in the near future.
Some of the errors exist for many years and have a negative impact on the gameplay.
Please check and correct if possible.

1) Shadow Runner. Skill - Chaos Sniping, incorrect skill operation at 1-2-3 levels, level 4 blocking skills with preparation. Option of error correction - change skill work to analogue Druid ability - Gravity Up. Something like - 1lvl +0.5 sec / 2lvl +1 sec / 3lvl +1.5 sec / 4lvl +2 sec. Remove the preparation from Chaos Sniping, make skill paralyzing for 2-5 seconds.

2) Shadow Runner. Skill - Piercing Arrow, decreases melee protection, should decreases distant protection. Remove the preparation from all shots, that will allow to use abilities in movement, like other professions.

3) Shadow Runner. Skill - Trap of Silence. increase the Totem Duration to 20 seconds, increase the Magic Disabled to 24 seconds, Effective Range 20 m.

4) Elementalist. Still one of the weakest and most useless professions in the game. Need to change the mechanics of skill - Mind Enhancement. Skill should remove the silence from Elementalist and players who are in the squad with him, even under silence.

5) Elementalist. Skill - Bliss of Fairy must be returned to their original values, about 400 magic attack at level 10, considering the maximum gene level.

6) Sets . No CAD sets after level 72+. It should not be. All 75/79/85 sets are designed to SCAD, that is unfair to certain professions. When you create a 90 sets - consider this option, we need the choice between CAD ​​and SCAD.

7) When using skills - Forward Dash, Retreat, Charge, Burning Dash, Rush, Approach player can push back to starting point or even throw up a great distance. Must be corrected.

8) Commander, skill - Face Strike, has too long duration. Reduce the duration at 5-6 seconds or increase the ability cooldown for 5-6 seconds.

9) Defender, skill - Taunt, increase power in 5 times , up to 5000 at level 10. This will allow to keep Raid Bosses on Protector, regardless of the strength of damage caused by members of his squad. Now it is almost impossible.

10) Avenger (Hunter), skills - Explosion Trap, Guided Trap, Bomb Trap, make this abilities instant ( reaction time ) as before. Skill - Paralysis Trap, leave a current time of preparation, but do instant reaction time.

Edited by OKEAH, 16 April 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#154 Viole

Viole

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1148 posts
  • LocationTR
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

Oh yes, those amazing healing and clamor changes!
Totally what the game needed addressed, we've been complaining about mystic totems and healing fairy being far too low for too long. I can almost see full +30 mystics HP go down when they're mindlessly farming, such improvement!

And clamor, clamor is too strong still, I think you should nerf it to one second of duration, we as a community are appalled at it being two seconds too much!

Edit: Too bad the feedback from the Russians that is especially on-point will be ignored too, although considering they have some differences in class popularity there the feedback they have shown is well done, oh well! Gravity. :/

Edited by Viole, 16 April 2014 - 11:42 AM.

#155 warjat69

warjat69

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam
  • Server:somewhere over the raibow

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

OKEAH watch out uncle Putin will cach you for this avatar picture hehe.

#156 Blackbid

Blackbid

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

nerf WL Silence the main ones to stop a group , now want nerf the commy  silence and casters continue crit  2.5 k + in cap resist...

#157 warjat69

warjat69

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam
  • Server:somewhere over the raibow

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

Well i know one tempest which can hit me for 3k+ with bolts on max res so....

#158 Helium

Helium

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 1472 posts
  • LocationGravity Interactive, Buena Park, California
  • Server:Trifri

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

Even comments wildly off topic or simply stating they've been ignored or will be ignored ARE NOT being ignored. (This does not mean they will all be implemented, obviously.)

Old feedback efforts in Job Skills can and will be considered on whole, but IS NOT a reason to neglect gathering new feedback.

After the (week 1) Defender, Commander, and Protector thread: Templar (and 2nd Jobs); Warrior (and 2nd Jobs); etc.

- At that pace it will take 8 weeks to complete the initial feedback. Then 2 to 4 weeks to make changes. Then proposals post and feedback (which will not  be divided into per Job threads), so 1 week there. Then (to be safe) another 2 to 4 weeks to make changes. All for a total of 13 to 17 weeks, not 3 years!

Also keep in mind, when we discuss the Warrior, Berserker, and Warlord Job Skills: Overbearing Clamor will surely be on the table. Also, for each Job class with a heal, on the table when we discuss that Job.

Please keep the Job Skill feedback coming; try not to be discouraged from posting by others negative expectation or destructive feedback and try to post constructively (as non-biased as you can) about what you disapprove of or what you believe would improve the Job on topic.

#159 razorEdge

razorEdge

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

Indeed. I will see about taking a look as far back as season 1 for these data sets. Instant Moving was in the Commander Tree, I did not remember that. I certainly remember my Radiant with Blunt Strike... That was pretty OP to have a stun (probably too OP). Also, Please note: Beam Slash ignoring defense =  BROKEN (in my opinion).

Interesting idea, Maybe we should also take a look at Season 1 skills and try to introduce them again like Commander_Blink.gifBlink for commander and Templar_Disruption.gifDisruption for casters to decrease melee attack power of opponent. And also make them lvl85+, This way there will be more skills to choose from with limited skill points. This will be helpful in creating different versions/builds of not only commander but other races as well and provide with more choices. 

I would definitely would like to play my commander with blink and other skills. This skill also could help commander disrupt enemy formation.

some awesome S1 skills to have:

Commander_Blink.gifBlink      Defender_Equilibrium.gifEquilibrium    Defender_Provoke.gifProvoke   Templar_Disruption.gifDisruption   Shaman_Torrid_Slash.gifTorrid Slash    Shaman_Flame_Shield.gifFlame Shield   Rogue_Fata_Morgana.gifFata Morgana   Rogue_Reward_for_Pain.gifReward for Pain    Soul_Hunter_Chaos.gifChaos   Soul_Hunter_Pain_Sharing.gifPain Sharing   Soul_Hunter_Self_Sacrifice.gifSelf Sacrifice   

Soul_Hunter_Stealing_Mana.gifStealing Mana  Avenger_Gopok_Trap.gifGopok Trap

Edited by razorEdge, 16 April 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#160 Jabrody

Jabrody

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

For Reference: If you guys feel like necroing removed skills, here's a skill overview article I made just for this topic. Whatever I could find I added to the list.

http://requiem.irowi...#Removed_Skills

also! wiki season 1 skill view just for kicks, http://requiem.irowi...Defender_Skills

Edited by Jabrody, 16 April 2014 - 05:16 PM.

#161 zombi3

zombi3

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

I agree some Season 1 Skills should be brought back, and i think 1 skill that would be pretty cool for protector would be 183.gifpain sharing, (an old soul hunter skill that allows the caster to select 1 person as a target, and the caster will share the damage the target receives for a set amount of time.) this seems like something a protector would do, think paladin's cover skill FFIV. Also  40.gif Provoke skill which taunts & reduces accuracy for protectors. 

#162 Nerthu

Nerthu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

I agree some Season 1 Skills should be brought back, and i think 1 skill that would be pretty cool for protector would be 183.gifpain sharing, (an old soul hunter skill that allows the caster to select 1 person as a target, and the caster will share the damage the target receives for a set amount of time.) this seems like something a protector would do, think paladin's cover skill FFIV. Also  40.gif Provoke skill which taunts & reduces accuracy for protectors. 

i would like to get counteratack back XD and this dmg reflect from rads

#163 ExcelHound

ExcelHound

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:57 AM

I'm sorry once again, ladies and gentlemen, but our Putin, who's called OKEAH, wrote a little wrong information about our proposals.

Here's a link to the original version of thread, where we discuss it with RU players:

http://forum.ingamba...ead.php?t=45563

And here is the right message:

Hey guys, hi everyone!

We - players from Russian server Requiem Online - would like to introduce you to the most serious errors and changes to game balance, we'd like to see in the near future. 

Some of the errors exist for many years and have a negative impact on the gameplay. 
Please check and correct it if possible.

1) Сlient сritical errors, client memory overflow (information residues after a long game), C + + errors.

2 ) Shadow Runner. Skill - Chaos Sniping, incorrect skill operation at 1-2-3 levels, level 4 blocking skills with preparation. Option of error correction - change skill work to analogue Druid ability - Gravity Up. Something like - 1lvl +0.5 sec / 2lvl +1 sec / 3lvl +1.5 sec / 4lvl +2 sec.

3 ) Shadow Runner. Skill - Piercing Arrow, decreases melee protection, should decreases distant protection. Remove the preparation from all shots, that will allow to use abilities in movement, like other professions.

4 ) Elementalist. Still one of the weakest and most useless professions in the game. Need to change the mechanics of skill - Mind Enhancement. Skill should remove the silence from Elementalist and players who are in the squad with him, even under silence.

5 ) Elementalist. Skill - Bliss of Fairy must be returned to their original values, about 400 magic attack at level 10, considering the maximum gene level.

6) Sets. No CAD sets after level 72+. It should not be. All 75/79/85 sets are designed to SCAD, that is unfair to certain professions. When you create a 90 sets - consider this option, we need the choice between CAD ​​and SCAD.

7) When using skills - Forward Dash, Charge, Burning Dash, Rush, Approach player can push back to starting point or even throw up a great distance. Must be corrected.

8 ) Commander, skill - Face Strike, has too long duration. Reduce the duration at 5-6 seconds or increase the ability cooldown for 5-6 seconds.

9 ) Defender, skill - Taunt, increase power in 5 times , up to 5000 at level 10. This will allow to keep Raid Bosses on Protector, regardless of the strength of damage caused by members of his squad. Now it is almost impossible.

10 ) Avenger (Hunter), skills - Explosion Trap, Guided Trap, Bomb Trap, make this abilities instant (reaction time) as before. Skill - Paralysis Trap, leave a current time of preparation, but do instant reaction time.

Sorry that we put it in the topic about Protector/Commander, but we think it is wrong to consider the classes separately, when you need to look at the entire balance as a whole.

Thx for your attention!

Just worried.

We really appreciate your feedback, thank you! <3
And yeah, we are waiting for MOOORE your opinions, If they exist.  :)

Edited by ExcelHound, 17 April 2014 - 03:20 AM.

#164 IVixxl

IVixxl

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Server:Trifri

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

Some classes are very "dead" and need some good things for "reborn" again.

{I am totally agree with that msg "Russian players" said}

Edited by IVixxl, 17 April 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#165 Sandyman

Sandyman

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1677 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

well...

talking about a Single Class or lets say Turan Race is not useful if you don`t set other Classes/Races in Content.

f.e :why Playing a Defender? when i can be a Warrior/Rogue! - if you compare then, Defenders can`t win.

so is Defender just a waste of Time? you have to go through to reach a better Job?

(if you add here a "Rush" or "Charge" the Races+Classes become Twins and nothing Sticks positive out)

that`s like sacrificing a full Class or saying its meaningless.

-

on one Side: some skills like "Charge" are simple OP and the Block Rate regarding Defensive Potential can`t keep up at 49 FoC / lower lvl BF.

on the Other Side: you have to ask yourself does make 49 FoC any Sense anymore? 

- if yes you need to adjust Offensive to Defensive / Heal Potential fairly.

- if no then you have to consider giving up on saying lvl 50 is border to reach the Second Job.

Does a First- and Second Job only makes any sense anymore? many suggested already that we could need a Third Job.

next is a bit far future/dream:

Spoiler

short saying: does we still need the old Job lvl Borders?

and if you on it change Server Properties regarding PK - Valdes not forgotten ^>_>

#166 ShazamO

ShazamO

They pay me to post.

• Retired
  • 5764 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Playing:ROSE Online

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

Just a friendly reminder guys and gals. This thread regrading the Commander and Protector Skill changes will be closed(most likely on Saturday-ish).

The focus will be shifted to 3 other classes(Thread will be posted on Saturday) and the development team will look over the suggestions/feedback made on this thread.

Thanks!

#167 xXxZeneroZxXx

xXxZeneroZxXx

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

Instead of you seeking to improve the game are a stupid way, making the game stand still, so we have players on Day 60% reinforcement that is the only thing that provides event, if they continue the trend and fail , why not make the new boss closed map, this game very monotonous, the same things every day, and to get good make ya wanna get bad grades invez to improve, I do not understand, has everything to be the best mmorpg game, but there are people who care about the server without even playing the game, not ridiculous if GM sees online, and this bull-_-!

#168 Apokrif

Apokrif

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Server:HAMMERINE

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

Ok guys how about this:
1. Make Taunt hostility 2.5-3x more and in pvp lure target to defender, but increase its downtime to 6 sec. (Can be useful against players with dashes)

2. Move taunt cry to protector tree, make its hostility 2.5-3x more and in pvp lure all targets to prot. But increase its downtime to 13 sec. This way prot is more useable in pvp.
3. Move Physical Blessing to prot tree and make it a HP buff, or make a new skill lvl 50 or max 60 HP buff 1% /level is fine. NO DNA! With increased HP and hostility is easier to tank even on lower lvls. (Not everyone lvl 85+ in +30 8/8 gear and new ppl - if there are any – should enjoy the game in lower dungeons 2 not just go ST with high lvl and instant 60)
4. Remove Fighting Will and give MP Rec % buff instead on all physical class. Even AA Chars dont spend more than 1 point on this skill, or use it as filler (unless they cant put points anywhere else). MP rec comes handy in higher lvls as tank or maybe on commy 2. 5-14% (1% / level)
5. Increase Low Blow hostility 2.5-3x
6. Leave Prot Heals as they are. (But check broken morale im not sure about working)
7. Skin of Stone: Extended DNA is useless. Why have 68 min buff? Make it a Long Range def extension maybe useful if ranger/SR ever be fixed.
8. Adamant and Face Strike: Vital skills for commi so nerfing them 2 much is going to kill the class like it did for elem, ranger... But yes constant adamant is a bit too much maybe lvl 9-10 down times should stay on 44 sec. Giving chance to players to stun, slow... commi. Face Strike is a bit more complicated 22 sec is pretty long time but a radical decrease in duration makes commi even more vulnerable to casters but make it 20 sec max with 10 DNA and a bit decrease in success rate is acceptable like 65%-85% from 1-10 lvl
9. Promise of Victory: nearly unused skill but if you make it add accuracy + Evasion on same amounts may make AA sins /zerks less dominant in BF

10. Beam Slash: mostly filler skill a great decrease in downtime is needed to make it useful again.

And the +1is more likely an advice: Make more skills useful so force ppl to choose what to keep! Not only for this class but all of them.

P.S.: Sry about my english

#169 RoxCore

RoxCore

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1016 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:02 AM

ShazamO what do u think?

#170 Skid

Skid

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1034 posts
  • Server:Warframe/Smite

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:23 AM

- At that pace it will take 8 weeks to complete the initial feedback. Then 2 to 4 weeks to make changes. Then proposals post and feedback (which will not  be divided into per Job threads), so 1 week there. Then (to be safe) another 2 to 4 weeks to make changes. All for a total of 13 to 17 weeks, not 3 years!

How much time are you putting in testing all this? ... none!
You'll end up "fixing" bugs more than 3 years, as usual.

On a sidenote, you all realize that you are sending these suggestions to a "developer/s" who wanted to merge Aveneger and Ranger class, and also said that Forsaker deals CURSE damage, now correct me if I'm wrong. Also should I mention the happy hours (you blamed korean developers back then), so....wth???!....this is just a huge joke, lol.

#171 otinane

otinane

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1443 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

oe oe what happened to bm skill changes ?;/

#172 razorEdge

razorEdge

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

I dont think we should nerf AM or face strike, every race have some OP skills which can counter the AM. like defiler/dominator can cast Soul_Hunter_Lithifying_Terror.gifLithifying Terror or use slow from pet, sin/SR can use stealth and soccerkick, Berserkers have reflect, avengers have pet to remove  AM and other buff. and mystic with their healing totem and AOE skills doent recieve any damage and even 22 sec of face strike isnt enough. Also it takes long time for commander to kill anyways.

#173 zombi3

zombi3

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

1. Make Taunt hostility 2.5-3x and move to protector skill tree more and in pvp lure target to defender, but increase its downtime to 6 sec. (Can be useful against players with dashes)

2. Move taunt cry to protector tree, make its hostility 2.5-3x more and in pvp make all enemies in range target change to the protector 

11. Add Pain Sharing to Protector Skill tree. 

everything else i somewhat agree with. good job on list aprikof.

Edited by zombi3, 18 April 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#174 Justtank

Justtank

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

Just some final thoughts of my own, and a few from others, on improving skills and balance overall, in both PvE and PvP, while addressing some very important issues on skill/dna-points.

These changes are just for example and would need fine-tuning from the devs, in order to check and calculate the skillpoints shared on different character builds to make sense.

Commander Tree

Chain Slash: Make it 9 Targets, 10m radius, Maxed at level 10. Atleast triple the damage on this skill, with Hostility added like Lowblow has.

I still have my doubts if it would be useful after all that.. without lowering the amount of skillpoints needed on Tactical Skills, we would not have the points left for this.

Chain Slash, at the moment has longer cooldown, and yet the same amount of targets, not to mention the lower damage than all the other AoEs ! Including Defender/Protector. No added DoT here either..

While it used to have a few more targets.. that alone never made much difference. To me it would make more sense for AoE Chain Slash to damage much more than any of the other AoEs we have.

Promise of Victory: Maxed at lvl 5, add Evasion/Accuracy both (10k). Atm it needs 10 SP to max.

Rush: Maxed at lvl 5+5dna points(-17sec). Atm it needs 10 SP/DNA to max. (Move to defender tree, if you think is fair)

Moonlight Slash: Maxed at lvl 10+5dna on reducing cooldown (-10). Atm it needs 10 DNA to max.

Face Strike: Maxed at lvl 5+10dna (20 seconds total duration, if both maxed).. keep cooldown at 30 secs. Atm it needs 10 SP to max.

Uplifting Cry: Either keep in Commander tree, or move to Defender Tree and create a new level 80 Commander skill..? Another useful Party Buff, Physical attack power for example, or perhaps something more tactical. S1 skills are worth looking into.

Passive Weapon Mastery: Replace with a Party Buff, atleast to be of some use in Raids ! But to do that, we would have to look back to the way skills used to be, so that we can actually spare the points on some of these skills. Meaning a few skills currently on the Commander/Defender Tree, would need 5 skillpoints to max.. instead of the 10 points currently. Same goes for DNA.

Defender Tree

Shield Strike: Keep it as is ! Maybe give it a new name, something that has no mention of shields, swords etc. This is Defender's only stun, I would not recommend moving it to neither 2nd job.

Defender Buffs: Fighting Will/Physical Blessing.. we still need them, and right where they are, but mainly as fillers in PvP.

You may consider changing HP recovery to MP recovery though, and Fighting Will to add some MP instead of the very low accuracy it now has. This would be good for any Defender starting out.

Taunting Cry: Keep Taunting Cry for Defender, Commanders too should have the option of being useful in PvE. Increase hostility to around 6000.

At the moment it has 11 targets, adding a few more targets will help in some dungeons. Range is okay at 19m maxed.

Some last thoughts..

I propose to change the way Hp recovery in PvE works to the same way that Mp recovery does.. This would help all of the classes currently without any healing abilities.

In PvP, Shield is vital for any Commander to do it's Job.. however, in PvE as a DPS support, while not tanking, we could use another option.

Commanders always have and should always be able to tank raids, grinding and farming parties. There is absolutely no reason to change that now.

Make Defender/Commander skills work with both Shield and 2-h weapon.. This way we have the choice, but nobody will be forced to make new gear or change class.

We will still deal low damage, for those concerned about this. I have tested both weapons on cap def.. not much difference at all.

Shield+1h will always be the better Commander, but why can't we use 2-h weapons as well?.. Warlords can use all their skills with Shield+1-h.

We do not have enough diversity, too many skills cost 10+10dna to make any good.. (or even half-useful). That goes for many classes out there !

Please try and forget about the mentality of only nerfing things, for this is only the easy way and often breaks things more than fixes them.

Changes could be made for not only rebalance reasons, but for more interesting and diverse gameplay..

In the end, the huge difference in gears between players, and unfair teams, are what causes imbalance the most.

I never believed in making any class worse as the only way to balance. Start by thinking what your class could do better first.

A level 90 skill is also long overdue, so if you have any ideas on this, anything really.. you can make it happen now. Look to the S1 skills, if nothing else comes to mind.

Edited by Justtank, 22 April 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#175 Ninnghizhidda

Ninnghizhidda

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationAthens, Hellas
  • Server:Hammerine

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:47 AM

OK, as I see, a lot has been added already in this thread and many ideas and suggestions, some of them interesting and valid.

I have been playing Commander since 2009, virtually it has been my main (and only) character during all these years. Perhaps I know a few things about the class, what is for sure I have seen all the changes it has gone through. I am less familiar with the Protector class, but I do have a fair idea about it too.

Right, let me start with a basic argument. The most important thing is, how would you classify these two classes, by design, and how do they fit in the whole concept of the game and how they related to the background story and such. The answer is quite simple: they are tanking classes. Of course, the Protector is the true and superior tank. However, people tend to forget completely, that the Commander, although a lot more dps (and thus also PvP) oriented, is still a tanking class.

Any class that carries and uses a shield, a melee class that is, in any game I know and I have played in the last 20+ years, is a tanking class, to a lesser or greater degree. So, if we begin with this assumption, then maybe we can move forward.

I will not say much about the Protector, so let me start with this class and get it done. In a few words, I believe the Protector is fine as it is now. Some people moaning about their inability to do very well in PvP, ah well, sadly the Protector was never designed as a PvP monster. They are there for support, distraction, they have high survivability, but nope, they are not killing machines. If you want to view them as team players, and protecting their party members, they can be pretty good in this role.

Protectors used to have absolutely insane healing capabilities, this was fixed  (or "nerfed" as people like to say), because, well, it was a bit over the top to have a toon with massive HPs, def and blocks, running around also spamming heals with over 2k per tick, wasn't it...

The only thing that Protectors need, and every other class with tanking capabilities needs, is a massive boost to their aggro-keeping skills. Not that they are not capable to do the job now, but it is indeed possible that some funky caster will spew out such insane dps that not even a Protector can do the job without sweating or losing attention for a few seconds.

Which also brings me to the Commander now. Why on Earth would you have the class use taunts and aggro-keeping skills in the first place, if it isn't meant to be a tanking class? Why you give them a shield to block incoming attacks? Why do you give them plate armour and skills so they can also have very high def? Oh, for a moment I thought... because they are supposed to withstand punishment... thus... tank?

Then, in this context, perhaps, their aggro skills could have a real effect too, and not be there as a joke. I will agree, you can fine tune it, you can change the effect and the level you get the upgrade, you can change the DNA, you can do anything, so that the Protector using the same skills is better, and the Commander is less effective. But still, should be able to do the job. What this means, how about the aggro skills have a much higher power by a factor of 5, 10, whatever?

I have been tanking with my Commander for years, done countless raids, even the hardest bosses, it all used to be alright (yeah, I know, my character has been a "+30 mallwhore" for a very long time indeed). Except with the emergence of the "+30 mallwhore" caster and the combination of advanced debuff effects, those darling casters can just about sit there and throw spell after spell with enormous damage, that no aggro skill can keep up with. Ah, I forgot to mention that a good dps Commander isn't exactly powerless, can certainly deal some decent damage too, although, wait for it... most high-end bosses have such huge def that any melee dps is going to be far less than any magic based dps, since, yep, resis cap is 80%, and you can smash this down with debuff combos a lot easier than you can decrease a 3k+ def.

I guess, it is not really just a problem with a particular class anymore. It is a problem that has to do with the whole game now. It is a problem that started to pop its ugly head years ago, and has turned into a farce. A farce where any freaking magic based class is the real deal. Requiem is maybe a unique case, where melee (physical dps) classes are so left behind magic using classes. You can go and test all you like, try different situations, but when you really get to the "+30 everything" case, there is not much to be said.

Requiem is unique, in that just about any "fragile" and cloth wearing mage, is actually a rock solid beast, give enough +30 items and enough beneficiary buffs. They can get their lovely def up to very high values (cap?), capped resistances, have 30k HPs, and at the same time spew out annihilating damage. All-in-one, one lovely package. All strengths, no weaknesses. Just go out and compare classes in most other games, even the pay-to-win ones, anywhere, you will not find any madness like this. Sure, magic classes can and should be uber damage dealers. But, no, nope, they will NOT tank the bosses, they will run for the love of their lives when the attention and attacks are set upon them, and yes, they will also die very fast indeed in such situations. Yes, even with the very top gear for their class and level. Now, I would like to see where this is the case in our lovely Requiem.

OK, enough with that, and back to the Commander, I have a couple more points I would like to discuss. Commanders have a little stun, using their shield, I read some comments that people think this is... too much? Sure it is, you can certainly compare it to an assassin, for example (although, of course this is the very trade of the assassin).

I read a lot about the silencing effect. OK, this one is probably where I would even agree that with full DNA invested, the duration is probably too long. I would not mind if it got shortened, although, again, read above about the uberness of mage classes. Besides... it is a 1-to-1 ability, it isn't really going to ruin a whole party is it.

And for those people who also seem to forget, the Commander is not an "aoe class". They have skills with aoe effects which are, at best, a good laugh. Seriously... you would compare even the strongest Moonlight and its lol DoT, to some true aoe magic skill? Commanders are quite good and can be deadly 1-to-1. So, yep, tough poops, if some weaker (???) caster somehow engages into a waltz with a good Commander in a 1-to-1, it would be expected that the poor caster would receive some smacking... Oh dear! How people get sooooo frustrated about this!

The Commander is a shock troop, sure. Will rush into enemy lines, and create some distraction and fuss, may even down one or more weaker people there. In the process, will have probably lost up to 50% of the health through all sorts of aoes, and targeted ranged attacks. And here comes the "adamant mind" issue. People also tend to forget that this very skill is the epitome of the class. What Commanders have is adamant mind, this is ALL they have got.

And for those with short memories, the adamant mind has already been toned down, a lot. It used to be that you had full 60 seconds of it. Now even fully DNAed you have 10 seconds without its protection between cooldowns. 10 seconds is an eternity in mass PvP. Chances are during those 10 seconds, something is going to hit you, hard, there are endless skills and options. Unless you play the "pussy way", keep hiding and only picking on single / weak targets, and only doing so, when adamant mind is in full effect. I didn't even mention that some assassin could always kick it just like that, out of nowhere. Plop goes the awesome Commander.

So, no, leave the freaking adamant mind skill as it is, do not even think to touch it, ever, again. Unless you want to screw the class totally, in that case just tell everyone to not bother building a Commander (at extreme cost).

Finally, I also read several suggestions about the use of 2-handers. I don't know really how this would work. You want to turn the Commander to what? A half-arsed, weak Berzerker? The Commander will never be a Berzerker. Commanders lack the skills, and even if given some parallel skill chain...what for? You could not possibly replace or match the skills a dedicated 2-hander class uses and is very good at. And what about all the 1-handed and shield skills? The Commander was created with a 1-hander and a shield for a reason, replacing this will lead to a real screw up, will mess the whole class up and destroy its "flavour" and unique character. This is Requiem, not Elder Scrolls, HELLO???

I could have gone on and on, with more points but I think they are fairly minor.

Bottom line: the Commander is more or less alright, except for a little bit of fine-tuning. What really needs to be addressed, is the aggro-keeping skills and capacity, but this is a general problem (don't forget the Druid too, hell where are the tanking Druids of past days?) that is really screaming for a solution and is important for the whole game.

These are my very long and very cheap two cents. They can be ignored, laughed at, mocked, you can also write your very own abuse and spite, as usual, sure why not, it is always fun. After 5 years in Requiem (this coming June) these are my suggestions and testimony. Have a very good day and awesome gaming experience!

Edited by Ninnghizhidda, 19 April 2014 - 02:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users