Buff Bots - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Buff Bots

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#26 Exuro

Exuro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3267 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:48 AM

Not sure how this exaggeration of bots being legal since public service bots are "legal under agreement" is coming out but really what we have to worry about more are those bots roaming around fields and remain unpunished. It's pretty obvious that they're bots and nobody's taking action on them...

#27 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:50 AM

bots that bring no benefit to the user and to be used as public service considered legal. it is easily masked.
lets say, i want to make buff bot to help me brewing which clearly brings me benefit as the user. then it is ilegal. okay, now i just have to put it into public service so me and everyone can use. and now it is legal.

masked.

#28 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:51 AM

Vend scanners, public buffers and spam busters all have one thing in common -- they're available for use by everyone. Autofollower buffers, on the contrary, will only follow select players/certain groups and will therefore not be considered as "public service" bots.

If you're talking about "autofollowing priest bot service," then that's a different story and I don't think CMs will agree to that (I hope lol).

It seems far-fetched now, sure, but once upon a time people thought the same way about the vend scanner "that violated their privacy, did the work of a player for market research in one-thousandth of the time, and prevented them from making tactical decisions about placement and naming". Same deal with ROPD, doubly so on the privacy part! Buffers were considered to "bypass the party-play of the game" since you didn't need to party up with or even just alt your own Priest. You could just ask for buffs from an automaton, warp to wherever, then warp back and rebuff, all for free.

We're letting too much stuff slide lately :/

#29 3305141201055603410

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:04 AM

I honestly thought botting was legal now, after I've returned after a few years. I had to search the forums for their bot policy. Turns out it's still illegal on paper.

Then you look at maps like sleepers, grand pecos, harpies, bathories. These are high level trans'd characters, not just Janeway'd 99s, although there are more monks now that Janeway is here. Monks are even better than rogues since they can heal themselves, but are presumably harder to bot to a high level. With janeway that's not an obstacle anymore.

There are probably a few more maps filled with these higher level bots.

It's all so very blatant. They don't instantly warp, they just do their thing. Hell, even the shops in prontera are listing dozens of cards from botted maps. Why can't they check ragial (a good bot), look for venders who sell high amounts of botted cards/goods, then put them on a watch list.

It has to be obvious that there are certain maps that will be botted. Why don't GMs go and nuke them every day? It would be like shooting fish in a barrel. I get that zapping the low level bots only results in more accounts being made, as they can get to spores in about 10 minutes after account creation, but with trans'd characters? It would set them back a while.

#30 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 2448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:retired

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:04 AM

It seems far-fetched now, sure, but once upon a time people thought the same way about the vend scanner "that violated their privacy, did the work of a player for market research in one-thousandth of the time, and prevented them from making tactical decisions about placement and naming"

The comments I recall seeing about iro.snipah and Tom's RO Shopper were overwhelmingly positive.

#31 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:06 AM

I honestly thought botting was legal now, after I've returned after a few years. I had to search the forums for their bot policy. Turns out it's still illegal on paper.

Take a quick look at RMS (first and only time I'll ever recommend RMS for anything) searching for iRO keywords in their forum, and you'll find a lot of people think the same thing.

#32 needmorezleep

needmorezleep

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1013 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:08 AM

Then you look at maps like sleepers, grand pecos, harpies, bathories. These are high level trans'd characters, not just Janeway'd 99s, although there are more monks now that Janeway is here. Monks are even better than rogues since they can heal themselves, but are presumably harder to bot to a high level. With janeway that's not an obstacle anymore.

There are probably a few more maps filled with these higher level bots.

It's all so very blatant. They don't instantly warp, they just do their thing. Hell, even the shops in prontera are listing dozens of cards from botted maps. Why can't they check ragial (a good bot), look for venders who sell high amounts of botted cards/goods, then put them on a watch list.

It has to be obvious that there are certain maps that will be botted. Why don't GMs go and nuke them every day? It would be like shooting fish in a barrel. I get that zapping the low level bots only results in more accounts being made, as they can get to spores in about 10 minutes after account creation, but with trans'd characters? It would set them back a while.

Basically 3000 online looks better than 800~1600 to them and quite possibly to new players, and for woe supplies.

#33 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:12 AM

The comments I recall seeing about iro.snipah and Tom's RO Shopper were overwhelmingly positive.

I recall them being mixed. Mixed to negative on other forums and BBS' like the RO Neoseeker Forum.

Sure they performed well but they really did marginalise the efforts of vendors to place themselves in good locations. At least that's my take on it.

#34 Exuro

Exuro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3267 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:31 AM

I recall seeing a topic like this somewhere here in the forums, and it was closed by Heimdallr (did I spell that right) with a comment stating something about that agreement (hence I got to know about it).

#35 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:42 AM

i would be just fine without them... we DO have in game items that do the same thing as Ragial... and i have no use for ROPD...

You would lose a lot more than that.

#36 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:12 AM

just bring back the ban list so people can see that there's at least something being done with their bot reports. just don't post account names; people are only reporting characters anyway and would have no idea what the account name was in the first place.

otherwise you get people assuming like some have that bots are allowed on iRO. a banlist would also encourage people to continue or increase bot reports since they see that progress is being made.

#37 KirinKishi808

KirinKishi808

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • LocationThe Silver State Union
  • Server:Chaos / Sakray

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:44 AM

I'm pretty sure those buff bots in izlude will be gone as soon as the Janeway event ends... Back in 2003 I have to pay 200z to an acolyte for a heal (no buff included) :P so i'm kinda thankful for their assistance that requires the word "please".

When I start playing iRO I tried the in-game catalog and have no idea how it works. So I abandoned it and never bother to look again. When I learn about Ragial.com, that is where miracles start happening. I know what to buy, where to buy and nothing is more thrilling than to rush buy the items appeared in "Cheap" list. :p_laugh:
My RO life without ragial would be a dull, static and aimless :p_ang:

#38 cory

cory

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1719 posts
  • LocationSt. Pete, FL

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:51 AM

Feel free to donate.

#39 xLoli

xLoli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1143 posts
  • LocationVirginia, U.S.
  • Server:Valkyrie > Chaos

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:56 AM

I noticed the buff bot in PvP Pront was gone... Was slightly disappointed when I was making my poison bottles, not gonna lie. :P

#40 belld1711

belld1711

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1730 posts
  • LocationWhere ever you want me to be.

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:20 AM

So...I can make a "public service" bot legally, ask it nicely to party, ask it nicely to follow me, and to buff/heal me? Just as long as anyone who passes by gets buffed who asks nicely, then it's okay to have, right?

And also, when making pots and such, I can use bots to buff me... Sounds legit... and 1 step away from autopot, nodelay, etc. Those don't hurt as well.

Also, by the same logic, we could also make leveling bots legal. As long as the bots don't pick up any drops, they aren't profiting. And if someone asks for a party (while asking nicely) the bot could party them, then set party to share (if possible) and so everyone would be able to use it... Yeah. Sounds legit indeed.

#41 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:23 AM

So...I can make a "public service" bot legally, ask it nicely to party, ask it nicely to follow me, and to buff/heal me? Just as long as anyone who passes by gets buffed who asks nicely, then it's okay to have, right?

And also, when making pots and such, I can use bots to buff me... Sounds legit... and 1 step away from autopot, nodelay, etc. Those don't hurt as well.

Also, by the same logic, we could also make leveling bots legal. As long as the bots don't pick up any drops, they aren't profiting. And if someone asks for a party (while asking nicely) the bot could party them, then set party to share (if possible) and so everyone would be able to use it... Yeah. Sounds legit indeed.

And this is why we can't have nice things.

#42 Exuro

Exuro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3267 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:25 AM

Pretty sure there's limits to that. Like I said, it's not legal per se, but rather it's legal under agreement. Besides, I don't think you can party with the buff bots in Prontera, right?

#43 NoxiousOrchid

NoxiousOrchid

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 755 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:35 AM

The bots are under strict rules.  Fiolina isn't even allowed to leave cities from what I have been told. The original agreement was made when the spam bots were a huge problem.  They made bot parties that walked around town and warped the spammers so people could navigate in peace.  While that is not an issue anymore, they are still looking at ways to assist the GMs in dealing with the bot situation.  I am happy that they made this exception.  They have helped the server quite a bit.

#44 Exuro

Exuro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3267 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:44 AM

The bots are under strict rules.  Fiolina isn't even allowed to leave cities from what I have been told. The original agreement was made when the spam bots were a huge problem.  They made bot parties that walked around town and warped the spammers so people could navigate in peace.  While that is not an issue anymore, they are still looking at ways to assist the GMs in dealing with the bot situation.  I am happy that they made this exception.  They have helped the server quite a bit.

Exactly. I'm at a loss as to how this is being interpreted as having bots completely legal.

It is true that one can play around with the definition of a "public service bot," but that alone isn't enough for it to be allowed in iRO. I believe that it has to:

#1 Benefit everyone in iRO (hence, public service bot).

#2 Adhere to limits set by iRO administration (hence the agreement)

It's not like "hey I have a public service buffer bot that can buff everyone... but I'll place it somewhere inconspicuous so other players will have to discover it themselves" kind of thing...

#45 Shippou22

Shippou22

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • LocationMexico
  • Server:chaos

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:07 AM

there's always people that go to the far extremes and stand on dumb ground. having an autofollow buff slave will never be legal.

#46 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3959 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

That's true. But if they're trusted enough by WP and by the people then I'm pretty sure they only use their knowledge for the good. Some might have been ex-botters who have abandoned their old ways and have started using their knowledge to help out the server. :)

^First class cheesy carebear, anime friendship speech material there...........

#47 OniichanN

OniichanN

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1812 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:16 PM

Fiolina isn't even allowed to leave cities from what I have been told.

That's kinda sad. :c

I'll make lots of special shrooms for her (inside joke, if she reads this). :>

#48 Exuro

Exuro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3267 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

^First class cheesy carebear, anime friendship speech material there...........

Some imaginary uplifting tune is actually playing while you were reading that...

#49 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3959 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:08 PM

Some imaginary uplifting tune is actually playing while you were reading that...

Something called Teppan Gurren Lagon.............

#50 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:17 PM

then i demand other bots except Fiolina to be banned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users