Developer's Corner - July 2015 - Page 2 - Patch Notes Archive - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Developer's Corner - July 2015

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#26 pdfisher

pdfisher

Champion Representative

• Members
  • 5246 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, in the heart of PA dutch country
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:23 AM

+1 ^

If it wasn't for the fact that cleric charm/buffing gear is basically trash when it comes to war/pvp then I would be OK with buffs getting cleared as we enter, but since that's not the case then I do totally agree that cleric and stat buffs NOT be removed upon entering this new pvp zone. 

If all buffs are removed upon entering, then you can expect people to camp the spawns for players in charm/buffing gear. Since we can't change gear in battle, it would just be a big mess of buffing players getting spam 2-3 shot as they're trying to buff their pvp geared clan members... as a cleric I can tell you I would not find that fun at all. I would have to set my cleric auto buffing as I just sit there clicking revive to prevent my head from exploding.

You do realize that using a bot, while playing on another client is illegal don't you? That can get your account permabanned.

#27 MaxTheDragon

MaxTheDragon

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Server:Arua

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:27 AM

My experiences while levelling up my new Cleric-to-be Shinrael:

Level 1 to 10:

Very doable, without buffs and use of the boosters. It required just the completion of the Adventurer Plains quests and the occasional extra monster kills, some of them in the Pumpkin Patch to get level 10 for the job quest. It didn't feel like a grind and the quests, being starter quests, were enjoyable. I'd even say that I turned level 10 sooner than I expected.

Level 10 to 20:

I started getting buffed here a lot, so this might not reflect a truly solo experience, but the quests to get the blue gear in Valley of Luxem Tower were enjoyable. It felt rewarding to equip this set and continue questing and levelling with it. There was a healthy variation in quest objectives. A few kill X monsters along with go here and there type quests. I went to Zant quickly after I reached level 20.

Level 20 to 35:

At this point I did the Zant quests and later did some grinding at the Woopies. The quests were enjoyable but sometimes a bit confusing, because although the NPC conversation mentioned clearly what steps to take next, the quest objective messages didn't always update to reflect the next step. I noticed that it was beginning to take longer to level up, but it also made level ups feel more as an accomplishment. The monsters were getting noticeably tougher, with both higher defense/more HP as well as more damaging attacks. Getting the weapon from the Zant welcoming quests was nice. I moved to Breezy Hills when I was getting closer to level 30.

The Breezy Hills quests were fun but killing the monsters start to take longer, making completing the quests more time-consuming. Although I had some food to use, I found myself having to sit in between individual battles to heal up back to full health before taking on another monster. Although being a muse does logically imply lower defenses, I felt that monsters were effectively getting stronger than I was getting stronger after level ups. In this area there was also a significant increase in kill X monsters type quests, which were not necessarily unappealing, but it did contribute to the fact that it did take significantly more time to tackle this area. I think in a party of equally leveled players this stuff is very doable, but solo it was taking a little longer than necessary. Regarding quests specifically: At some point I was doing two quests (Windmill Plans and Plants VS Visitors) which had almost identical quest objectives. It felt a bit redundant. Also, the quest involving placing the windmills (Life's a Breeze in the Hills) was nearly impossible to complete without the use of a guide or specific coordinates of the windmill spots found elsewhere online. This quest could really use some directions like dots on the map, an arrow pointing you in the right direction or a visible hint in the map when getting close (a colored beam of light that you can see from a distance, perhaps).

It got pretty tough with the dalping quests in the northeast corner of the map. The rangers/hunters/leaders are aggressive and ranged attackers. It took a lot of time to kite the monsters into a safe spot so you wouldn't get attacked from multiple directions. The mobs would seem to roam around close to eachother as well. I don't mind these quests being more difficult, but there was definately a ramp up in difficulty. I'd suggest this:

- Make just the leaders aggressive, to reduce the relatively high danger level in this part of the map and to make the kill X monster type quests easier.

- Reduce the number of monsters to kill during these quests and to compensate add a quest where or you could turn the aggression into something fun: require the player to fetch something like an item from a spot where there are leaders and possibly others guarding. Picking up the item would then possibly turn the nearby hunters/rangers aggressive as well. You could then kill them if you're a more defensive class or try to escape with the item if not.

All in all, it wasn't too bad, but I'd replace one or two kill X monsters quests into other type quests such as the one suggested above. Perhaps, given that this is an area with a lot of water, you could have a fishing quest where people would just stand on a few spots near the rivers or near the sea to pickup a fish item and they'd have to get like 10 of them from different spots, to bring food to the nearby settlement.

Level 35 to 45:

I went on to El Verloon Desert. The leveling started to get more grindy here. I liked the quest like that when from NPC to NPC all around the desert, but the quests involving getting items from monsters could take quite some time, again due to monsters being harder to kill consecutively if you're relying more on sitting than on food. The item boosters help out here but the problem is that they last only 10 minutes while quests take longer to complete. It would make more sense if completing a quest would in practice only require you to use one of such boosters per stat affected to be able to complete the quests. I'd make the quests involving getting items from monsters (such as turtles, beetles, aquas) have higher drop rates, or even 100% drop rates. To compensate you could add one or two fetch item quests that for example require you to go up the hill on the north side of the map. The quest Orias' Debt seems to be broken. Stepping onto the spots where the money is supposed to be found yielded no results. I found the ruins with Aqua's to be a big danger spot with multiple aggressive monsters ganging up and the occasional ranger firing away at you. Again I had to constantly kite monsters away, which isn't bad, but with the non-100% drop rates it made everything a time-consuming ordeal. The last quests involving the devil pest honey bees were tricky as well, with high monster density and the queen bees being captains (silver stars). I'd reduce the amount of honey to get somewhat and perhaps add a little quest in between with a different type objective.

Level 45 to 50+:

I visited Anima Lake at this point. The Porky kill quests seemed to be a lot easier. Although it would still take some time to down the required number of monsters, the monsters weren't aggressive so I could manage things well. This early part of Anima Lake felt better than El Verloon. Also, the epic armour set you get felt really rewarding and encouraged me to complete the rest of the quests. The quests involving killing Aquas felt really monotonous though. Getting 32 halberds, 12 bows and 10 shields took a very long time given the fact that you didn't even get a drop every kill. There's some aggressive monsters among them as well, so this took longer than necessary. I'd make the drop rate 100% and reduce the numbers to make them more balanced as well, like 16 halberds, 12 bows, 8 shields. Then add a little quest where you would fetch an item from the center of the lake, like an amulet or something, which could be explained as the secret to the Aqua's success and fertility here. Getting the amulet would weaken their forces. The other quests (involving the Gorilla and killing Grunters) were reasonably fun too, but again could use some variation in quest objectve types. Perhaps you could bring the Gorilla back to Edone and on the way get attacked by a couple of Grunters and Porkies rather than killing X of them. I'd also slightly reduce some of the numbers on quests like Grunter Raid. Killing 60 of them felt really grindy.

At this point I moved on to Moldies in Junon and completed the remaining quests in Junon up to the Mayor giving you the epic weapon. This did feel quite rewarding and I thing that apart from the mentioned things the whole levelling path seems already more polished that from what I can remember a long time ago.

Perhaps there could be another quest line starting from here taking you through the remaining areas (Forest of Wisdom, Kenji Beach, etc.). I just went to Kenji Beach at this point to do some mass levelling up at the Krawfy's. I think I'll make myself unpopular and say that levelling up there felt almost like cheating. xD

#28 pdfisher

pdfisher

Champion Representative

• Members
  • 5246 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:54 AM

Wow! You have put some serious thought into this, and the result is outstanding! I love your quest ideas! Please feel free to write some, and submit them. The progression quests were to eventually continue, but I am not sure how long into the game they were to go. Of course, the main story line quest does continue up until Eldeon.

#29 helloitsme

helloitsme

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

Goodbye fairy and stat buffers would be inside tg now hahah.. have fun killing em

Oh and no goulash, no buff pots bye crit pots, no puri pots

Edited by helloitsme, 14 July 2015 - 07:16 AM.

#30 KatsuraKujo

KatsuraKujo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 744 posts
  • LocationPotato

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:36 AM

My experiences while levelling up my new Cleric-to-be Shinrael:

Level 1 to 10:

Level 10 to 20:

Level 20 to 35:

Level 35 to 45:

Level 45 to 50+:

Perhaps there could be another quest line starting from here taking you through the remaining areas (Forest of Wisdom, Kenji Beach, etc.). I just went to Kenji Beach at this point to do some mass levelling up at the Krawfy's. I think I'll make myself unpopular and say that levelling up there felt almost like cheating. xD

I'm getting very tempted to try leveling a newbie by questing now. There's so many things i missed when i was a lowbie and it sucks that i didn't notice it before. I might do it during this weekend. Nice feedback, and nice ideas as pam said. Also i think your experience as a lowbie further from now on can be posted on Angel's experiment thread, just make sure you edit your own post to update it there instead of posting something new. I plan on doing that myself when i get the time to do this experiment =3

Edited by KatsuraKujo, 14 July 2015 - 07:37 AM.

#31 VisitorX

VisitorX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:29 AM

You do realize that using a bot, while playing on another client is illegal don't you? That can get your account permabanned.

He/She said auto-buffing while clicking revive. There was no mention of mulitple-clients.

#32 carlosrose

carlosrose

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

New level cap: meh what ever as long as a new area is available so we aint force into doing those boring easy dungeons and we get some decent exp with mobs that actually represent a challenge shouldactually be "fun"

New map: well ABOUT TIME.... how long has it been since a new map was added into a planet? 2-3 years?

New weapons: would be actually nice to have something REALLY RARE.... A weapon really worth fighting for... With a concept design that is not just a cheap color change of an older item.

#33 pandasoup23

pandasoup23

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Draco

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

New level cap: meh what ever as long as a new area is available so we aint force into doing those boring easy dungeons and we get some decent exp with mobs that actually represent a challenge shouldactually be "fun"

New map: well ABOUT TIME.... how long has it been since a new map was added into a planet? 2-3 years?

New weapons: would be actually nice to have something REALLY RARE.... A weapon really worth fighting for... With a concept design that is not just a cheap color change of an older item.

yep, this new leveling area should have purple mobs that give proper exp and rewards...its stupid by the time u get to 227? maybe 228 all mobs are blue and green

as carlos said, the new gear better be new...new concepts, etc .-. stop with the recoloring BS and get creative...

#34 Leeny

Leeny

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 857 posts
  • LocationUSA New York
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:07 PM

Topic keywords: Training Grounds (TG), boosters, PvP, competitive game play

Not to be cleared of any buffs. Allow cleric buffs or stat buffs. Just remove Im pots, eggs and boosters. Allow ghoulash and red potions

This is actually how i envisioned it to be also. But hey, whatever works.

#35 pdfisher

pdfisher

Champion Representative

• Members
  • 5246 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:35 PM

He/She said auto-buffing while clicking revive. There was no mention of mulitple-clients.

Oops my bad, I thought they meant respawn.

#36 HoneyBunz

HoneyBunz

ROSE Online Community Member for July

• Members
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

About the new player gameplay, leonis, we have to be honest with ourselves.  There is a reason for everything and there is a reason why there are not enough new players sticking around and playing.  There are enough new players that log in everyday but the percentage of them sticking around is very low and there is a reason for that.  We, as a community, has stated atleast 5 times on why no one is staying.  Whether you are willing to accept what that reason is or not, it is there.  I am making this post because I still feel you are not understanding the importance of how serious it is for your company to keep new players coming in and actually staying and how much better this game could be when the ratio of new players coming and staying goes from 1:100 to atleast 1:10.  We have to start being honest and start stating the real facts and the real reasons why this game isn't "reviving" or atleast just improving.  It's time Leonis.

I'm curious- do you have access to this server's game logs? You're making statements as if you do. If you post something that is your opinion (or your guess) then it's certainly not a fact nor is it necessarily true.  I'd never make a statement like 1% or 90% because I do not have access to that information, but just judging from the people that I speak to or help in-game every day especially since the merge, we have a nice mix of brand new and returning players that stay. For the most part, they don't like posting at forums for their own reasons but that doesn't mean they don't exist. A big forum like this can be very intimidating. It's also misleading because a small number of players make the most posts. Generally they are long time players so their perception is very different from someone who is new to the game. On the surface it can distort things because everything is based on the experiences of a limited amount of people rather than a true majority of the players.

Can some things be improved? Of course and that's always true because life itself is a work in progress. But making statements that are not based on actual fact is more harmful than helpful.

#37 CharasX

CharasX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:30 PM

Hello Roserians,

I know there's been quite a bit of chatter, discussion and explosive voices lately on many a subject.

I'm going to go over a few things about what we're doing, what we're working on, and help acknowledge a few concerns from the community, so you know we do hear you!

Topic keywords: lag, latency, game arena, game performance
First, let's talk about what we've been focusing on. This does go in part with what the community has been asking for attention on, but we also see that it has reached a point where it is greatly hurting the playing experience for many of you.

Latency, or "lag" as many refer to it, has been experienced throughout game play, as we have been introducing more and more game features and mechanics. We have spent a great amount of attention looking into the reasons why this may be experienced. Some of it is due to the client being inefficient with handling a lot of the new mechanics we've been adding, some of it is older issues that just need updating. Without going into details, some of it is also contributed to the server side as well, same reasons, new mechanics, some old code needing updating.

Nevertheless, know we are looking in to it and will be rolling out with any updates, enhancements, bug fixes, and optimizations we can in the upcoming days.

We originally had planned to be working on expanding game content this month, however we saw that the severity of impact this had to game play would ultimately hurt any additional content we would come out with, so we changed our focus and will pick it back up once we see game play is less frustrating because of performance issues.

I understand that for some of you, this may be cause for an upset, because we changed direction on working towards new content, but as mentioned, we felt it wouldn't have been as enjoyable, if everyone was unhappy with how the game play was performing and your interactions were with it. I'm sure many will think it is all PvP related, but it isn't, many complaints have been also through our dungeon designs as well. So it is a global issue for both PvP and PvM play styles. One we are taking seriously and committed to improving on, so we can focus more on content related issues, then performance issues making game play appear to be poor.

Good.

Topic keywords: content, level cap increase, new gear
As mentioned above, we had set up this month to go over a level increase, content additions, which would have included new, higher tier gear and weapons. We had plans to update and expand a bit throughout Orlo, with new maps, monsters and quests, and even help make Orlo easier to navigate, as we have heard many complaints over its confusing nature.

We have had the next tier of armors created. Other items have been put to concept to add to the fun of hunting for rare and powerful items in-game. We've even begun review over the changes that were mentioned long ago regarding general crafting abilities. We've had one of our community members contribute some weapons for us to use as well, we're likely going to be using as some of the rare weapons to obtain.

Unfortunately, because of the bugs and follow-up needs we've had to give attention to, with recent updates, timelines change, and as mentioned above, the focus of concern has also changed as well. And while we still are excited to unveil more about it, we don't want to give too much away about what we have in the works. But it will add more to the dynamics of game play to consider, and add more excitement to considerations of venturing out in to the worlds of ROSE Online.

Good, let s give it a try, I m hoping for some clan pvp related stuff, as you litterally murdered Clan fields and previously existing Clan pvp features in profit of a p2w IM system. I m also expecting those armors to be usefull... outpowering exalted set / Honor and Valors sets... being worth a good farming. Same goes for the weapons... if they are to be too easy to drop, there s no point in it.

Topic keywords: Training Grounds (TG), boosters, PvP, competitive game play
We're aware there are many opinions behind this, and what we're going to work towards is this. We will be retrofitting an existing zone, called the Junon Cartel, to behave just like a Game Arena's PvP Zone, where upon entry, you will be cleared of any and all buffs, (you will be warned before entering!) and behave just like any Game Arena PvP Zone. While this may sound simple enough to put in, there is a tiny bit of supporting code that we'll need to do before we can offer this new zone.

Well, If you are to create a zone like this, I can already predict that noone is gonna use it. Players asked for a booster/IM food free pvp zone... you answer with a map where buffs will be wiped, all food but red pots is forbidden. It means practically that buffed pvp wont be possible, unbuffed pvp only with red pots, no clans wars. Do you really truely believe that you met your player s expectation with what you are proposing right there? all that was asked is to unable IM boosts and pots in pvp zones, and this you can easily do, you just don t seem to want to.

Topic keywords: starting players, leveling, needing buffs
While we know leveling can sometimes feel daunting and grindy, we've put in a lot of effort to ensure that starting game play is not that difficult and can ease you in to game play.

However, it has become the opinion of some in the community that you cannot properly level without buffs from a high level Cleric. This is simply not the case. While you may be used to a certain speed or expectation because of your experiences in ROSE, starting players do not need this kind of support. Again, we can appreciate the feeling of being super powered and thrashing monsters with breezing ease. It doesn't mean it is needed. From our investigations into these claims, they tend to come from experienced players, or players who are so new, they only know the feeling of game play while under the support of a Cleric. Obviously if that is your introduction to game play, you are going to feel the withdrawal of power once you no longer have a Cleric with you.

I can agree with the fact starting players do not need support, but can you level all the way up to 230 without having cleric buffs? Would it be fun to do so? Does this gameplay would be entertaining and exiting enough for old players as for new comers who are discovering ROSE? This is the questions you need to ask yourself, and this is precisely what your players were talking about. You seem to dodge the issue, or try to find a way around it to not face it.

Does this mean we as developers need to supplement this power gap, to make things super easy and simple? No. However, we still hear the cries of those who would prefer this experience, getting in to the game. Originally, these are what the boosters were intended to be, supplements for a lacking support character.

Yes, as developers, your duty is to make this game an enjoyable experience for everyone, be it hardcore old players, or fresh newcomers. What you disrespectfully called "cries" are feedbacks. and some of the feedback you recieved were given by players who arent even playing anymore this game... they tried it... disliked it... and felt like giving their opinions to help for possible further improvement... instead of acting like you do, you should be thankfull, and take in consideration what message those players tried to voice.

As for the part where you try to make us believe Booster were actually designed to help players having no buffs while leveling... this has to be a good joke. How many thousands of dollars would it cost to full boost your way from lvl 1 till 230? I wonder... were you serious while writting this... or not.

I would also point out that I do not see anywhere your opinion, or plans on nerfing buffs (including the so called stat buffs) strength. It appears that the game is pretty balanced (pvp wise) when classes are fighting without buffs... but as soon as buffs or stat buffers are here... it just becomes a real mess. Atk speed multiplicate any melee dmg based classes, acc becomes insane, same goes for critical rates... defence and m def becomes messed up due to their design (low def classes once buffed reach enough defence to see their %dmg reduction being not so far from what other classes supposed more tanky have).

Do you consider this as an problem? or is it something that seems for you completly irrelevant and that you ll keep on ignoring?

I'm curious- do you have access to this server's game logs? You're making statements as if you do. If you post something that is your opinion (or your guess) then it's certainly not a fact nor is it necessarily true.  I'd never make a statement like 1% or 90% because I do not have access to that information, but just judging from the people that I speak to or help in-game every day especially since the merge, we have a nice mix of brand new and returning players that stay. For the most part, they don't like posting at forums for their own reasons but that doesn't mean they don't exist. A big forum like this can be very intimidating. It's also misleading because a small number of players make the most posts. Generally they are long time players so their perception is very different from someone who is new to the game. On the surface it can distort things because everything is based on the experiences of a limited amount of people rather than a true majority of the players.

Can some things be improved? Of course and that's always true because life itself is a work in progress. But making statements that are not based on actual fact is more harmful than helpful.

If you were right, the server would be croweded! imagine that... new players starting the game and keeping playing on it.... old players coming back and sticking around... That would be amazing!

Unfortunatly you are not... obviously... unless you happen to see way more player than I do when I m online.

Another evidence of how wrong you can be is... for exemple, that you can nearly never see new players getting to 230! in TG, Dg or AA, you always get to see the same old faces... seeing newcomers getting to max level and farming endgames gears? this has to be pretty damn rare.

The server is loosing population.... steadily, and that since years. The merge did do good, but IM focused updates and P2W features made sure to make many of those players who came back to check on how active the game would be... quit it again. I do not have access to the server datas, as a matter of fact, but seeing that up to 3 AAs were active a few weeks ago.... and running 24/24... and seeing that now 16 hours a day we can't seem to gather the 30 players needed to start it... makes me believe quite strongly that I m pretty damn right.

#38 Banrukai

Banrukai

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts
  • Location中国China
  • Server:.¤·°­·.¸ Arua ¸.·°­·¤.

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:05 PM

@CharasX, You seem to be disatisfied with the current state of the game, and how the developers are running things.

Nobody is forcing you to stay and play this game. We all want the nostalgia of how Rose Online used to be, but now we need to face reality. We can't be children again. We are growing up, and the game is getting older.

#39 Tormented

Tormented

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Locationlvln my lil chars ;)

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:28 PM

Apologies  :bow:   that this turned into a marathon type post :blahblah:   

Hopefully if you read it all and put it together I hope I've gotten over some points of view that you may or may not agree with.

Some items and topics are more involved and I appreciate they cannot be discussed properly with a quick sentence or two or a couple of comments :thumb2:

@ MaxTheDragon nice post with some good points made.

Also, I agree that you sometimes need to use a variety of gameplay and tactics with different monsters to be successful against them.

I have thought for years though that gameplay for the starting characters has been broken.

The updates we have had over this time has still not fixed what I see as some of the main problems with the starting characters progression through the game.

Recent updates Leonis has brought in has been to try to make the game more friendly for players.

For new players to make actual friends ingame, join in with parties and to make the game a more enjoyable experience overall even if you solo .

I feel that this has generally worked as intended, I do see new players partying up and seeming to enjoy themselves in their battles againt the monsters on the various maps, doing their quests together and helping each other and having a good time and making new friends. After all, don't we all really want some of that?

With all of my characters I have always tried to explore and visit each part of a map to experience them all as far as I can, to learn all the NPC characters and locations and see what drops I get and what monsters are around etc. It's all a part of the having fun and experience ingame mentioned earlier.

And even though I may be on my 80th character I will still try to visit the different locations - even though I know what is there, I consider it to be a part of that character's experience and levelling up, a part of the fun of playing a new charcter..

But I still see characters not bothering to explore the maps, missing entire sections of maps out - or even entire maps, and entire worlds, Luna for example, not being bothered to visit and experience them at all - because they don't actually need to.

For example, while being on Kenji beach while solo or in various parties on many of my characters, I have seen characters of level 20, 30 40's etc levelling there, as some were so low they couldn't join any of the parties that I was then in or party with me if I was solo.

I have seen players in GOS doing exactly the same, as well as on various other maps ingame.

This is a part of the problem with the gameplay - as Banrukai mentioned he was able to quite happily be playing against Moldies with his level 22 soldier.

Ingame it is quite easy to play against monsters that really should be too hard to fight compared to the character's level, or should at least be really challenging considering the map level. Whether with or without buffs.

Some have commented previously in the forums that levelling up for beginners is really hard. If a player is expecting to one hit kill everything then they need to change their ideas and realise that it just doesn't normally happen at the lower character levels (unless wildly overbuffed etc in which case it's dead easy).

But no,.it's really not all that hard to level up, you just have to change your tactics etc against the various monsters and maps - they react differently and you need different ways to survive against some of them. Whether playing solo or in a party this holds true. But in a party it is of course so much easier.

Some players do not use the various HP and MP foods and pots, as well as the various boosters and potions that are available ingame - in some cases you have to, or otherwise as Banrukai said "found myself having to sit in between individual battles to heal up back to full health" so it will take longer to complete a task or continue killing.

As Banrukai mentioned he had to lure some monsters away to a safer spot in order to kill and survive, he was using some dfferent tactics and methods which he was finding in some ways helped him out - some players don't even try to do this and then die and complain about how hard it is to level up.

I know that some newer players don't realise they have to do things differently depending on where they are - it's up to us players to suggest to them to try things out, that they then hopefully get into a mindset where they can start thinking about their gameplay and start killing and surviving succesfully and enjoy the game.

I know that players are concerned with lack of retention of new players - maybe if advice etc is given to help the newer players we would end up keeping more like 1 in 10 instead of the 1 in 100 as mentioned by turnermanxi (Figures I'm taking as just examples as no-one apart from Leonis knows the true figures)

Some new players come to Rose after playing other games, where they maxed out their character levels so fast that they then expect Rose to be the same. And that is potentially the cause of some of them then leaving.

It can be very fast to get a character to max level, as other forum sections have stated it's quite possible to max out a new character very fast indeed if that is what you want to do and have the resources to do it.

So sometimes lack of knowledge ingame can be a cause of non-retention of players.

Sometimes it turns out that the player finds that the game is not what they are looking for - everyone has different likes and dislikes that influence their decision making on whether they enjoy one game over another, and react and decide accordingly.

I, for example, totally hate the WASD type games - I'm all thumbs and always have been - and don't get me started on console games :wall:   (my brother just dies laughing so much he can't control his character :rofl: )

But although I try new games out, even consoles, and I do try to persevere and play despite my problems with the controls and some scrolling type games, I eventually decide whether the game is just not for me and drop it, or it may just become an occasional game to dip into every now and then just for a change of scenery.

@ carlosrose I agree with what you say about harder maps and monsters, new weapons, new rewards and new maps etc.

But get ready for the complaints to start pouring in after they bring them into the game :wink:

I remember high level players complaining so much that certain maps/monsters/dungeons/quests etc were waayy too hard and that they were actually dying :huh:

Really, what do they expect - make it so easy to one hit kill or just 2 or 3 hit kills etc all the time? And not die??

Or have something of a challenge, as you mentioned, and have the benefit of the rewards tied in with the risk of the challenge.

No-one should play the game and not expect to die. If they do they're just too needy and self absorbed and need to reassess their thinking.

If they are at the high levels they need to have a challenge so that they can feel that they have actually accomplished something.

Not to have it handed to them on a plate.

People don't appreciate it and they become even more self-absorbed and it just bolsters their view of their own self-importance.

Edited by Tormented, 14 July 2015 - 05:33 PM.

#40 pdfisher

pdfisher

Champion Representative

• Members
  • 5246 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

Don't you dare apologize Tormented! One of the key things for me in a game, is the community. It doesn't matter how much fun a game is, if the community sucks, I won't stick around. Overall I find the community here wonderful. So, go ahead and say your piece, you have the right to do that! It's wonderful to hear honest, constructive criticism, instead of the incessant cries of kids that don't get their way. Kudos to you!

#41 DoubleRose

DoubleRose

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1217 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:17 PM

If you were right, the server would be croweded! imagine that... new players starting the game and keeping playing on it.... old players coming back and sticking around... That would be amazing!

Unfortunatly you are not... obviously... unless you happen to see way more player than I do when I m online.

Since you only pvp that's a likely case. Maps aren't bustling, but personally I see a lot more people leveling. If you only look at orlo you'll still see mostly botters, but that's because those last levels are a grind which is something leo specifically mentioned in this thread.

Speaking of pvp, shouldn't things be better soon? The community has totally been listened to in order to make improvements. Dead players can no longer be targeted and we have a pvp zone that clears buffs. You asked for a test run on a new booster zone, and look what we are getting. So stick to offering specific suggestions instead of making claims that you can't be positive about.

#42 Tormented

Tormented

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Locationlvln my lil chars ;)

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

Don't you dare apologize Tormented! One of the key things for me in a game, is the community. It doesn't matter how much fun a game is, if the community sucks, I won't stick around. Overall I find the community here wonderful. So, go ahead and say your piece, you have the right to do that! It's wonderful to hear honest, constructive criticism, instead of the incessant cries of kids that don't get their way. Kudos to you!

Hi :wave:

Thanks for your comment.

I too, have always found the community great in general and mainly friendly and helpful. (There's always some exceptions  :wink:  )

Having been around since the start of the open beta, (I didn't enter the closed alpha/beta etc), it was one of the first things I took notice of ingame and it still is the same today - so it shows that over the years people in Rose have always been friendly and helpful.

From some of my memories of the various older players who are no longer with us one way  :wave:  or another  :puppyeye:  , to the newer players that have joined us over the years, we seem to have been so lucky in having a majority of particulary nice, friendly people playing and to have been able to make friends with.

Like you I tend to dislike a bad game community - and have left games because they ruined my enjoyment of the game.

A good game but with a dead or nasty community will eventually lose types of players and then only attract a similar player as the community it has.

But I think that those types of players eventually get fed up and bored and move onto other games to cause more disruption elsewhere - maybe eventually causing a good game to close.

But I don't think we have any possibility of that happening with Rose, as we really do have a great community both here in the forums as well as ingame :adorable:

And besides - for most of us Rose is a great game :kiss:

#43 KatsuraKujo

KatsuraKujo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 744 posts
  • LocationPotato

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:01 PM

@CharasX

You're wrong, it is well increasing but its just not as obvious as "HEY LOOK AT ME!" I sit in zant all the time readying myself to help newbies when needed and possible. I've seen quite a number of new players coming in everyday. Now i'm not sure if they are new to the game or just a sub character by other people, but either way there's new players coming into the game. My clan has some of them, my clan is actually becoming quite active because of them, i still need to do some clan management but hey, it works.

If looking for PvP arena perspective, then you're right, because you don't see new players going into AA straight off the bat. Even I adviced the people in my clan to at the very least learn their class well, get good enough gears which would be Rein or Exalted or mix of both to go into a PvP arena, because it is tough there. I've also seen a few newbies in dungeon, not a lot but still a few inside. I can tell cuz they die too fast sometimes.

@Tormented

I agree with your post in general. Nice post and you're right on a lot of it. You deserve that +1 =3

Finally this is just whatever i want to say.

Newplayers are coming in, that doesn't mean that old players won't tend to quit at some point of playing the game. If they are bored, they have every right to leave or take a rest from the game. Do you see many old players doing that? The prove is in AA itself. Everyday you see the same faces of AA, everyday you see the same people around Junon. So the matter of this is rather small which sort of balances out cuz you see old players returning and new players coming into the game. Again, my clan is an example of new and old players coming in. I've had a lot of friends quit as well in the past few months, but that's just 3-4 players, as compared to the daily 4 newbies i see if i'm online and in weekends it maybe more.

Don't count ROSE out of the count yet

#44 CharasX

CharasX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:52 PM

@CharasX, You seem to be disatisfied with the current state of the game, and how the developers are running things.

Nobody is forcing you to stay and play this game. We all want the nostalgia of how Rose Online used to be, but now we need to face reality. We can't be children again. We are growing up, and the game is getting older.

So what you are saying is basically that we all have to get used to the fact ROSE is turning into a bad game... because it s getting old and it's a natural process for a game to get worse and worse within the updates.... and that if I m not happy with it... I can -_- off.... instead of trying to make things better by taking on my free time to give my very own feedback, wich I truely believe... could be helpfull.

... and you said something about "we are all growing up"?

Since you only pvp that's a likely case. Maps aren't bustling, but personally I see a lot more people leveling. If you only look at orlo you'll still see mostly botters, but that's because those last levels are a grind which is something leo specifically mentioned in this thread.

Speaking of pvp, shouldn't things be better soon? The community has totally been listened to in order to make improvements. Dead players can no longer be targeted and we have a pvp zone that clears buffs. You asked for a test run on a new booster zone, and look what we are getting. So stick to offering specific suggestions instead of making claims that you can't be positive about.

You see a lot of people leveling... ahhhh ye, on wich server are you playing if you don't mind me asking? (lol). And so... while you see yourself many "new" players leveling... It happens that none of them would happen to at some point be leveling in ORLO, because there, there is only bots... okeeeey... so what are all this multitude of new players doing to level? Dungeons? I don't believe so... I m not seeing them there either.

And NO, the community hasn't been listened about the pvp improvement we asked for. Its a bit like if we asked Leonis to paint a room in yellow.... he comes up and paint it all in orange and be like "See my dear community!!! I m totally listenning to you."

@CharasX

You're wrong, it is well increasing but its just not as obvious as "HEY LOOK AT ME!" I sit in zant all the time readying myself to help newbies when needed and possible. I've seen quite a number of new players coming in everyday. Now i'm not sure if they are new to the game or just a sub character by other people, but either way there's new players coming into the game. My clan has some of them, my clan is actually becoming quite active because of them, i still need to do some clan management but hey, it works.

If looking for PvP arena perspective, then you're right, because you don't see new players going into AA straight off the bat. Even I adviced the people in my clan to at the very least learn their class well, get good enough gears which would be Rein or Exalted or mix of both to go into a PvP arena, because it is tough there. I've also seen a few newbies in dungeon, not a lot but still a few inside. I can tell cuz they die too fast sometimes.

Well, goodluck with those new daily clan mates of yours!

Edit : KatsuraKujo, you are saying that you can see an average of 4 newbies everyday. Just to make you see what it would mean... it s 120 new players a month or 1460 new players every year. Knowing that, we would have to put this number in relation with the amount of new players we saw in the past years getting to enjoy and farm endgame content and gears, wich I believe is fewer than 50 a year ( and I m extremly optimistic there)... It would mean that (rougthly) out every 30 players, only 1 would appreciate this game enough to explore it. Do you truely believe this is a satisfying number? What does it say about the work made by our devellopers and the way it s beeing recieved by those "new players"? With a ratio of 1/30 could you talk about success?

And again, I believe that I m extremly optimistic there.

Edited by CharasX, 15 July 2015 - 12:03 AM.

#45 thetrangdamvn

thetrangdamvn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1671 posts
  • LocationHanoi, Vietnam - GMT +7
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:10 AM

It's not their jobs from the start, it depends on the promotion team.

Whining over and over again doesn't help.

#46 VisitorX

VisitorX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:14 AM

You're welcome for both of those suggestions btw. I feel like if I didn't raise hell in game and on the forum then nothing would have been done. Even though I was told multiple times "they won't listen" "they won't fix it" blah blah blah

#47 Banrukai

Banrukai

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts
  • Location中国China
  • Server:.¤·°­·.¸ Arua ¸.·°­·¤.

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:44 AM

@CharasX, No, what I meant was the game is getting older, and so are you, and everyone else. The feelings we had for the game when we were younger won't be the same as now. We all have nostalgia of how the game used to be in the past, and it seems everyone wants it to come back.

But as I said, we have to face reality, the game is not the same, and neither are we. Changes are being made, and many people are unsatisfied with it. But there are also many people that are happy about the changes, such as myself.

I'll say it again, there is nobody here forcing you to play the game. If you are no longer satisfied, then you can move on to a newer, more populated game, with a bigger team of developers.

But I'll make one more point here; this game is very old, and now rather small. Everyone here is lucky to have the communication they have with the developement team. You are all very lucky that they take the little time they have to review your posts, rants, suggestions, tickets. Although they can't always reply to you, or give you everything you ask for, but they are trying to satisfy the community.

#48 CharasX

CharasX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:30 AM

@Banrukai,

indeed noone forces me to play this game, I play ROSE because I love this game since many years. But, as a matter of fact, I'm forced to play on this server if I want to play on an official server, as only japonese are allowed to play JRose (wich would be the only other official alternative possible).

I find it very constructive to do like I do... criticize and voice my opinion about things I dislike. It is indeed obvious that a few of you guys, on the forum, are total white knight, you never criticize anything, defend the dev team with all u've got like if they were your children... you probably think it s somehow cool to be this way, but in my opinion, this is completly useless, you'll never make anything change for the best, and you'll never get some special treatment for it.

In my post, while quoting Leonis, I shared my opinion and fears about the points he was talking about. If you read it again, you'll see that I'm not unhappy with everything. And I'll be as always waiting for an answer, that I probably won't get.

About your last point, I can't even find appropriate words to tell you how much you can be wrong about it. The devellopers should be thankfull about the privileged communication they "could" have with their player base, in companies, getting feedback from your clients cost money and is not a given, here on NaROSE, there s enough motivated players to actually spend time posting their thoughts, make proposal, and share what they dislike about the current state of things without leaving right away. This could have been a wonderfull oportunity to make this server be very successfull, but the team seem to prefer doing their own thing and ignore most feedbacks not coming directly from the very few player they selected within their white knight guards. I can understand that it's always more pleasant to listen to positive things, but really, it's not how things in general can get better.

You see, things in life aren't going the way you think it does.

You can ofcourse desagree with me... and it s okey, but please, when I'm posting something directed to Leonis... quoting his own post, refrain from jumping in like if it was any of your concern, and let him comment or not my post, because as a matter of fact, you cannot give me the answer I'm expecting from him, and he doesn't need anyone to protect him, anyway my post wasn't even offensive at all I believe?

#49 blaze10

blaze10

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:25 AM

I'm surprised that so many ppl haven't realize that the new pvp map isn't what was asked for.

#50 pdfisher

pdfisher

Champion Representative

• Members
  • 5246 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:14 AM

You're welcome for both of those suggestions btw. I feel like if I didn't raise hell in game and on the forum then nothing would have been done. Even though I was told multiple times "they won't listen" "they won't fix it" blah blah blah

Just goes to show that "they" don't know what they are talking about doesn't it? :P

I'm surprised that so many ppl haven't realize that the new pvp map isn't what was asked for.

That may be, but I think it is a nice compromise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users