costumes to lose all their effects eventually - Page 4 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

costumes to lose all their effects eventually

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#76 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:06 PM

Still the problem of people obviously preferring to buy the effect costumes over the homogenized ones. How would WarpPortal make money if the demand for effect costumes exists? Pretty sure there's going to be a thread about this down the line if effect costumes are kept in along with costumes with that have no effects. The only argument that can be made for people who still have effect costumes would be "we were here first, too bad" to which newer players would be "fine, off to another MMO."

#77 Hissis

Hissis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3901 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:07 PM

It would be announced well it advance, as well as warning put on the patcher, the in game notices, and other places. The goal would be to bring all costumes in line with each other so that they could be selected for looks and not best build. Certain costumes would unfortunately be restricted in their ability to be broken into enchant stones, however all would be able to receive enchants.

:rice:

Waiting it :v  ​

#78 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed.
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:17 PM

If you add enchantments that reproduce the effects of all current effect costumes, then any existing effect costumes could be grandfathered in by replacing them with the effectless version plus the corresponding enchantment.

#79 meli

meli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2688 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:31 PM

Still the problem of people obviously preferring to buy the effect costumes over the homogenized ones. How would WarpPortal make money if the demand for effect costumes exists? Pretty sure there's going to be a thread about this down the line if effect costumes are kept in along with costumes with that have no effects. The only argument that can be made for people who still have effect costumes would be "we were here first, too bad" to which newer players would be "fine, off to another MMO."

I don't understand what you mean. Costumes with special effects such as full moon, tarnished lamp, promethean crown, blue xmas cheer and such, aren't the best for everything you do. Malangdo enchants are superior according to what class you play, therefore people will spend in lucky boxes or do quests to get the special costumes, but also spend on costumes that would be malangdo enchantable. Both will still have a market. Not to mention kro is developing new malangdo enchants.

#80 xnatsumark

xnatsumark

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • Server:Thor pRO Server

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:39 PM

Thor players already spent dollars to get that aspd enchanted costume, knowing that now WP is now planning to remove it.

LOL ROFL LMAO...

seriously i want to see the end of this discussion... hahahahaha

#81 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:46 PM

Just thought of something. How about making it so current effect costumes keep their effects, but if you try to enchant them, they lose their effects in place of the enchantments? Seems like a good compromise.

#82 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:58 PM

Thor players already spent dollars to get that aspd enchanted costume, knowing that now WP is now planning to remove it.

LOL ROFL LMAO...

seriously i want to see the end of this discussion... hahahahaha

That is actually exactly the opposite of what were considering. The goal is to make it so all costumes can be enchanted that way.

#83 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:03 PM

Also the aspd enchanted costume is the wings (garment slot) and we're talking about headgears here.

#84 aralee73

aralee73

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationJelly Land
  • Server:chaos

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:05 PM

So mean... Indeed. Well if this is it, I guess the end.

#85 xnatsumark

xnatsumark

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:22 PM

but OP's title is about the costume, wings are costume too. thanks for clearing that up,

still want to see the end, they already spent money considering they wanted that effect and not the costume.

this is what thor players want, we want the effect of the costume rather than what it looks like.

i don't like the costume, but the effects are indeed helping our style of play. that is why i forced myself to get one.

#86 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:30 PM

I can see your point and it is something that needs to be addressed in the planning stage of anything should it happen. If its compensation or the creation of legacy versions of the items I don't know yet.

This is merely an idea we were kicking around to future proof the enchanting npc for all new costumes instead of added 384 (existing costumes) + 120 (incoming costumes this year maybe!) one by one to it by hand. It would be like if I had to script an if case for every single piece of gear for the refiner npc, the script will grow to unreasonable lengths, cause a massive load on the server when being used, and open us to so many more possible errors or bugs.

It shouldn't be happening at all in my opinion.

There's not going to be any true diversity and people will still look homogenized.

To me this just sounds like lazy practice instead of wanting to week through headgears one at a time.

Just my opinion though, but I won't be happy with current effects being removed.

A better idea would be to let us vote on current headgears we would want to see costumes of.
Or make an NPC that allows you to just clear a costumes of all enhancements AT OUR DISCRETION.
Otherwise, you're just royally screwing us out of new costume in the future from kRO and you're screwing yourselves out of sales.
The majority of iRO only things end up being terrible and I firmly believe this to be one of them.

Edited by Myzery, 15 October 2015 - 08:35 PM.

#87 jebjebMANGTAS

jebjebMANGTAS

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Server:Chaos / Thor

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:58 PM

is it possible to enchant a shadow costume in the future?

#88 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:13 PM

It shouldn't be happening at all in my opinion.

There's not going to be any true diversity and people will still look homogenized.

To me this just sounds like lazy practice instead of wanting to week through headgears one at a time.

Just my opinion though, but I won't be happy with current effects being removed.

A better idea would be to let us vote on current headgears we would want to see costumes of.
Or make an NPC that allows you to just clear a costumes of all enhancements AT OUR DISCRETION.
Otherwise, you're just royally screwing us out of new costume in the future from kRO and you're screwing yourselves out of sales.
The majority of iRO only things end up being terrible and I firmly believe this to be one of them.

He is actually trying to find a solution now to what will become a future problem. A lot of people are asking for costume headgears to be enchantable. If they just keep adding favourite ones to the list then eventually they will hit a point of no return where the list of conditionals is so long that it will slow things down.

This is why Kriticals solution seemed smart, simply flag costumes that CAN'T be enchanted and that way they could make it more streamlined to enchant others. If it is a costume that already comes with an effect, then simply add it to the black list.

And to anyone saying about removing enchants and stats all from costumes together, once again, this is another case of damage already done.

I hope not...

#89 xnatsumark

xnatsumark

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

yesssss please, with the risk of 90% breakage..

#90 jebjebMANGTAS

jebjebMANGTAS

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Server:Chaos / Thor

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:24 PM

yesssss please, with the risk of 90% breakage..

enchanting a costume wont break the item . for now. idk in the future

#91 FatDrunknSTUPlD

FatDrunknSTUPlD

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • LocationBurbank Buy More
  • Server:iRO Beta Server

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:36 PM

enchanting a costume wont break the item . for now. idk in the future

WAT

#92 1392140604170018137

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:31 AM

Simple. WP continues releasing the original special effect costumes. New players are happy and WP still gets their money. Not sure what your complaint is.

#93 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:05 AM

On this subject, would it be possible to set a blacklist on current existing costumes with effects rather than white-listing all the costumes without them? The blacklist if possible would limit to like 10 costume headgears that have effects right now? (not sure how many there are, not too too many if irc?) And if all future costumes don't get built in effects then the list should forever remain the same length?
Or would this method still cause too much of a load on the server or whatnot?

this guy gets it.

but OP's title is about the costume, wings are costume too. thanks for clearing that up,

you're the only person who made this assumption lol.

#94 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:35 AM

I still think it's a bad idea unless Gravity can give us new enchants that kRO doesn't care about.

Homogenization in games is so boring and unless this is a set in stone kRO change, it's a really dumb move.

What are the pros to this? There really isn't many other than for Gravity and it's through trying to make fast money.

We'll get boxes stuffed with craptacular headgears that have been around for 10 years that only a select few would enjoy.

Things like the full moon costume add a little more variety to the game.

You're just going to have the same boring enchants with old worn out headgear.
kRO, etc. will end up with these amazing and dynamic costumes that we will never see.

#95 Ambur

Ambur

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3403 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:10 AM

Just thought of something. How about making it so current effect costumes keep their effects, but if you try to enchant them, they lose their effects in place of the enchantments? Seems like a good compromise.

Compromise to what? Sounds like the current system with an added part that hardly anyone would do because the effect > enchant when it's only for limited costumes.

+1 to doing it like Kritical put because new players can still buy/get the costumes with effects without them being gimped.

Edited by Ambur, 16 October 2015 - 07:10 AM.

#96 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:38 AM

I still think it's a bad idea unless Gravity can give us new enchants that kRO doesn't care about.
Homogenization in games is so boring and unless this is a set in stone kRO change, it's a really dumb move.
What are the pros to this? There really isn't many other than for Gravity and it's through trying to make fast money.
We'll get boxes stuffed with craptacular headgears that have been around for 10 years that only a select few would enjoy.

Things like the full moon costume add a little more variety to the game.
You're just going to have the same boring enchants with old worn out headgear.
kRO, etc. will end up with these amazing and dynamic costumes that we will never see.

For goodness sakes, they're COSTUMES! They're not supposed to have any practicality outside of being decorative!

You talk about boring, we have so many people wearing same stinkin' Lamp and you think that adds variety? How does it add variety to the game when everyone wears the same costumes for the effects? Barely anyone wants to use costumes to individualize their characters out of fear of being unable to compete with those who wear effect costumes. If you were talking about regular gears, you'd have a point, but homogenization of COSTUMES is what the system has been crying for since it was first implemented.

Compromise to what? Sounds like the current system with an added part that hardly anyone would do because the effect > enchant when it's only for limited costumes.

+1 to doing it like Kritical put because new players can still buy/get the costumes with effects without them being gimped.

And herein is my point exactly. Why would anyone buy any other costumes when most are already devalued by the few that have effects? What benefit does WarpPortal have to introduce costumes with no effects when people are more interested in costumes that have effects?

#97 Hissis

Hissis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3901 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:42 AM

what?

they already give stats.

#98 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:48 AM

Then make so that you can extract the effect of a costume into a stone to enchant another costume. Like exchanging lamp into a +10 luk stone to be enchanted on any other top costume and so on. This certanly solves any problem with costumes variety and ppl would still search for the effect costumes.

#99 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:09 AM

Honestly, the only costume I see as a bigger impact on this is the Lamp. It is the only consistent costume with a +10 increase to LUK (or any stat for that matter outside of EXP).

cake hat

#100 meli

meli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2688 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:09 AM

And herein is my point exactly. Why would anyone buy any other costumes when most are already devalued by the few that have effects? What benefit does WarpPortal have to introduce costumes with no effects when people are more interested in costumes that have effects?

...because the rest of costumes with no effects will be open for malangdo enchants. You keep talking like costumes with effects are the one and only option for all classes. Wrong. I certainly don't see many people defaulting lamps, or full moon, or dragon helm. Guess why? malangdo enchanted costumes are way more versatile, and they'll still be wanted because kro will keep developing new effects for them. I don't know how you can't see this.

To make my point clear, costumes that already have effects such as tarnished lamp shouldn't be enchantable, they should have their specific effects and that's it. The rest should all be malangdo enchantable, so you're free to wear whichever you want.

Edited by meli, 16 October 2015 - 08:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users