A Post Regarding Client Edits and Third Party Programs - Ragnarok subforum archives - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

A Post Regarding Client Edits and Third Party Programs

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#1 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

These are some compelling arguments but ultimately that is something I will have to discuss with the department head and possibly the studio,

#2 Calza

Calza

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:20 PM

These are some compelling arguments but ultimately that is something I will have to discuss with the department head and possibly the studio,

The longer you take to make a decision on this, the more people are going to be googling private server forums and posts bundled with more questionable mods.

It's like the government saying drugs are legal, but we're not selling them - you'll have to source your own.

#3 Themes

Themes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1412 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

What about assembling specific packages that contain the edits that are "allowed" and then have them hosted on irowiki. It gives you guys some space to say "We dont support edits, but we're not banning for <specific edits>" and allows the community to get the legal edits on their own terms from a safer place.

#4 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:24 PM

The longer you take to make a decision on this, the more people are going to be googling private server forums and posts bundled with more questionable mods.

It's like the government saying drugs are legal, but we're not selling them - you'll have to source your own.

or you could just wait until final word is given? it's like you haven't been able to play this game so far without all these edits or something.

#5 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

Pretty much

#6 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:28 PM

Btw, cast circles are ok right? Mine took a f* lot of work to make :c

#7 meli

meli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2688 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:35 PM

But I want to play with cool jro sprites (for cosmetical reasons ok) QAQ

Edited by meli, 10 November 2015 - 12:36 PM.

#8 Calza

Calza

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:38 PM

or you could just wait until final word is given? it's like you haven't been able to play this game so far without all these edits or something.

Why should I wait?

We've been told it's 100% legal to modify to a larger card sprite, so why shouldn't I upgrade now while I'm waiting for a party to fill up? It's quite eye opening how many private servers and mods there are for Ragnarok! 

Edited by Calza, 10 November 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#9 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:43 PM

then do so at your own risk. you're expecting a turnaround time of ZERO for something that is a pretty drastic departure from their original stated policy. Camp already said he needed to discuss with other people, including his bosses. did you expect a definitive answer and a brand new client with a whole working set of legitimate edits up and available in 15 mins?

#10 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:47 PM

I just want know wich kind of unfair advantage does jRO class sprite gives -.-

#11 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10841 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:49 PM

Why do you even allow any grf edits at all to begin with?  :heh:  :heh:  :heh:

#12 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:49 PM

I just want know wich kind of unfair advantage does jRO class sprite gives -.-

So here's what I think the issue is:

Editting player sprites can cause some really, really messed up things to happen (legitly bad cheats) and those could be done under the guise of the jRO sprites. So it's best for them to be never touched ever.

On that note, I heard once pallet swaps would be ok?

#13 Tanzanito

Tanzanito

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:51 PM

Why do you even allow any grf edits at all to begin with?  :heh:  :heh:  :heh:

Because there was already people doing it. So it's better to discuss and put some rules than ignoring and letting those who know how to edit to whatever they want and if they get caught say something like:  But I've never been informed x edit was forbidden.

#14 Calza

Calza

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:59 PM

then do so at your own risk. you're expecting a turnaround time of ZERO for something that is a pretty drastic departure from their original stated policy. Camp already said he needed to discuss with other people, including his bosses. did you expect a definitive answer and a brand new client with a whole working set of legitimate edits up and available in 15 mins?

I think you're fishing for an argument, as per.

I'm not asking the WP team to post a solution in the next 3 minutes. I want to be able to openly ask on the forum about doing something which is fully legal, yet I've been told I can't ask. I can do it, I just can't ask.

Clearly people have already done this and far more for years so the knowledge is out there.

Edited by Calza, 10 November 2015 - 01:01 PM.

#15 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10260 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:00 PM

jRO sprites are not ours to approve. A card sprite change or grey world modification is not adding content that is literally new and exclusive to another version of the game. 

#16 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

jRO sprites are not ours to approve. A card sprite change or grey world modification is not adding content that is literally new and exclusive to another version of the game. 

Oda just pointed this out to me as well. I was not considering this when I originally said no. But that does into into light some licensing issues that also come with using sprites from other versions.

#17 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:04 PM

RIP my pserver sprite with sonic spikes and tails tails

#18 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10841 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:04 PM

Because there was already people doing it. So it's better to discuss and put some rules than ignoring and letting those who know how to edit to whatever they want and if they get caught say something like:  But I've never been informed x edit was forbidden.

Then ban people who post a video of their edit'ed client. Technically it is almost impossible to know whose client is edited until they post a video of themselves doing WoE, MVP, or Instances, etc and it happens to leak. I dont care about what edits are legal and what are. I am not planning to use any legal edits either becaues I like to play with original and unmodified client ie my WoE videos. However when Camp legalizes certain edits, it always gives me a laugh and I always ask myself ... why is he trying to open another can of worms  :heh:

#19 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10260 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:08 PM

RIP my pserver sprite with sonic spikes and tails tails

That is illegal for very different reasons

#20 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:09 PM

Then ban people who post a video of their edit'ed client. Technically it is almost impossible to know whose client is edited until they post a video of themselves doing WoE, MVP, or Instances, etc and it happens to leak. I dont care about what edits are legal and what are. I am not planning to use any legal edits either becaues I like to play with original and unmodified client ie my WoE videos. However when Camp legalizes certain edits, it always gives me a laugh and I always ask myself ... why is he trying to open another can of worms  :heh:

This change happened long ago in regards to RCX and by past employees such as Heimdallr and Calanor. This is merely an attempt to formally it down rather than it just being word of mouth, whispers that jump from ear to ear always changing but a rumor of such a policy existing.

I remember when word came down about the change as I was a mere GM back then banning bots and not really chewing gum.

#21 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:10 PM

That is illegal for very different reasons

Wow. I'll have you know there are activists for furries rights and stuff.

I'm not one of them, but wow.

#22 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

I'm not asking the WP team to post a solution in the next 3 minutes. I want to be able to openly ask on the forum about doing something which is fully legal, yet I've been told I can't ask. I can do it, I just can't ask.

Clearly people have already done this and far more for years so the knowledge is out there.

it sure does look like you're telling them to make snap decisions here.

the ban is on sharing client edits or how to actually edit your client. you can ask about what's allowed vs. what's not to your heart's content. if you're looking for an actual sanctioned client with approved edits from WP, that is what Camp needs to meet with people to discuss.

and if you need it RITE NAO, you could reach out to the people who have these clients individually.

#23 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:15 PM

Cast circles?
Old RK sprite?(< this one data does exists in RO folder by default, is just not being used anymore)
Custom aura/effect?(like shiny pokeball for Hawkeye Proc)

#24 WarlockFier

WarlockFier

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Server:Silph Road

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:18 PM

632.png623.png6426.png

#25 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac