12/2 Latency, Disconnections and what is being done about it - Page 7 - Archives - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

12/2 Latency, Disconnections and what is being done about it

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
224 replies to this topic

#151 Freedom

Freedom

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1630 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:08 AM

Does anyone find this just as funny as I do. Everyone is yelling and screaming about the lag and d/cs at the gm team, and they are blaming us for not taking care of our computers. Telling us to do a virus scan. So its all our fault we are having all these problems.

#152 Brindizer

Brindizer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LocationDuluth
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:14 AM

It's called Troubleshooting. You have to tackle one problem from many, many different angles until you are able to find a solution. This is just another angle.

#153 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts
  • LocationAFK in Ymir pront

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:23 AM

Most people are in the telephone book with name and address regardless so it's not about confidentiality unless you consider playing iRO a dirty little secret want to hide. Even if Gravity don't volunteer the name and addresses of those most likley to be behind the attacks, you end up making wrong assumption that either of those two authorities couldn't just ask for your information and have it handed to them legally anyways. I see nothing wrong with supplying name and address to a goverment organisation in a nation of which the server is located (which btw already has access to your information anytime it wants) in a bid to stop the person(s) behind the attack.
It's no different to when you get robbed and the police ask you for the names of anyone who you believe has a grudge against you or who may be behind the robbery followed by they ask you "do you know where he lives" of which I promise you would tell them unless your a vigilante. So your arguement has no merit from my viewpoint on that aspect. As for EA being their allies they had forged very close bonds with Insur or atleast some members had and they then went off and raged over it, quiting or threatening to quit..
For the mere fact the level of sympathy for those who got banned for exploiting was shown in their reaction to it so can't rule them out.
However I personally believe only the ones banned from (Insur) should be checked out first. Then if not them sure go after those who in EA reacted the most, hell give them my information if wish if will help its not like your giving your information to random stranger in the street, your giving it to someone who at a whim could access your information anytime they want anyways.

You obviously have no idea how privacy laws work. ABSOLUTELY _NO_ government agency can "access your personal information at any time they want". It's called a court ordered subpoena, and they STILL must show probable cause. Sorry to say that "These guys got banned about the same time the attacks on our servers started" is only circumstantial evidence. No judge in their right mind would issue a subpoena on that. Any company that voluntarily gives away user data to government agencies will get found out ( ATT&T comes to mind from a few years ago.... ) and customer backlash is not a nice thing.

How do I know this? Maybe because I have had to deal with crap like this. Government offices have requested stuff from the servers I admin and I have told them straight up either to show a warrant or leave.

#154 Sevi

Sevi

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:38 AM

Yes, because I'm from EA, I'm totally quitting because I sympathize with my allies. Not because I'm tired of the fact that 8/10 times when I try to log on, the servers kick me off or reject me from connecting. It's because I feel so terrible that someone else got banned.

I'm one of those that quit recently, would you like my phone number and address to check if I'm wasting my time trying to ruin your play time?

#155 Snoopy

Snoopy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

iRO is starting to sound fun again! ;p

#156 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:04 AM

AVG is good, but I would shy away from Symantec / Norton or McAfee. Those two are extream system hogs and not worth their weight or cost.

Anyone should quit the internet if they use Norton. Just saying.

#157 Kahlev

Kahlev

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:36 AM

Anyone should quit the internet if they use Norton. Just saying.

If you use Norton, the first virus you catch will force you to quit internet anyways (while also forcing you to quit your pc) so...

Speaking of which, has anyone tried Panda Cloud yet?

#158 CyFire

CyFire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:19 AM

You obviously have no idea how privacy laws work. ABSOLUTELY _NO_ government agency can "access your personal information at any time they want". It's called a court ordered subpoena, and they STILL must show probable cause. Sorry to say that "These guys got banned about the same time the attacks on our servers started" is only circumstantial evidence. No judge in their right mind would issue a subpoena on that. Any company that voluntarily gives away user data to government agencies will get found out ( ATT&T comes to mind from a few years ago.... ) and customer backlash is not a nice thing.

How do I know this? Maybe because I have had to deal with crap like this. Government offices have requested stuff from the servers I admin and I have told them straight up either to show a warrant or leave.

You havent heard of RIAA and the laws that let them persue you even when all they have is suspicion? It is what the RIAA is using to sue everyone and their mother (literally). With the laws on the books now we have no privicy on our computers. I would look up some of the RIAA cases if I were you.

Now with that said... I agree that proclaiming someones guild just because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time is absurd.

#159 pomdjyer

pomdjyer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

i'm innocent

#160 Studmanly

Studmanly

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:44 AM

free insur

#161 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

Free insur before you merge all the servers and we can have fun big woes maybe...

#162 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:38 PM

Yes, because I'm from EA, I'm totally quitting because I sympathize with my allies. Not because I'm tired of the fact that 8/10 times when I try to log on, the servers kick me off or reject me from connecting. It's because I feel so terrible that someone else got banned.

I'm one of those that quit recently, would you like my phone number and address to check if I'm wasting my time trying to ruin your play time?

Well, tell your friends to stop exploiting bugs, etc. and they wont get banned.

Free insur before you merge all the servers and we can have fun big woes maybe...

NO! Gravity needs to remain firm on banning people who violate the Terms of Service.

#163 Chisami

Chisami

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCali
  • Server:Transcendence (currently)

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

This is not an attempt to freak people out in any way or does it mean anything, but I will say that attempting to unzip a recent version of RCX gave a warning from AVG antivirus. Please be very careful and scan your folders if your a user of RCX to ensure that your copy is clean. This is not a warning about RCX itself, it is merely something noticed and I'm passing that info along.

#164 Doddler

Doddler

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1035 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

I honestly wouldn't be suprised if the ddos was the result of the increased player/bot population (valk has probably 1k more average online players than it did a few weeks ago), mis-configured 3rd party programs (more bots), and broken skills like reflect damage that spam packets exponentially as you get bigger mobs. More packets is more packets.

Edited by Doddler, 03 December 2010 - 01:55 PM.

#165 Ardi

Ardi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:57 PM

Who said EA was mad that they got banned?... Yes they are our friends/allies and yes it sucks that they got banned when so many other exploits happened with no repercussions, but hey they are big boys and girls and can do what they want and take what happens and deal with it. I laugh when I see people in the forums trying to say Insu did this EA did that. It honestly just makes me realize how many people really never tried to talk to people in either guild and based their assumptions just on the fact that we are better at WoE than the rest of the server was for a VERY long time.

Also EA being not so active in the WoE scene was determined before renewal and hell even before the Loki/Chaos server merge. Have fun figuring out how a not so competitive woe guild still kicked your asses for so long with the help of some really good allies.

#166 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 2448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:retired

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:58 PM

NO! Gravity needs to remain firm on banning people who violate the Terms of Service.

They need to perm ban everyone who bought OCAs from that NPC. Oh, and also anyone who bypassed the Thanatos cooldown back in the day.*

#167 Sevi

Sevi

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:05 PM

I'm pretty sure the point of my post is to say that their bans have no effect on how I view this game or whether I play it or not. I don't see where in my post I said that they were unfairly banned. I just pointed that it that it was dumb to assume that people who weren't banned but knew the people would be the root of the problems. Oh, sorry, blatant sarcasm doesn't work with some people on this forum.

Also, pom is innocent as a lamb. His irowiki signature is proof of sheer kawaii innocence. ^__^

#168 Frappuccino

Frappuccino

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

congratulations on taking sharon's post about quitting because of insur seriously. you're retarded.

I was part of the E|A/Insur alliance (though not actively in WoE due to crap internet), and i'm not quitting because insur got banned. i'm quitting because

a. the game is being run worse then a constipated fat guy
b. the game has srsly bad connection issues
c. gms don't take notice of their player base
d. i have more important things to do

if we banned all the people that abused bugs (no matter how small), we'd probably be left with like 10% of the current population, if that.

#169 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts
  • LocationAFK in Ymir pront

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:29 PM

You havent heard of RIAA and the laws that let them persue you even when all they have is suspicion? It is what the RIAA is using to sue everyone and their mother (literally). With the laws on the books now we have no privicy on our computers. I would look up some of the RIAA cases if I were you.

Now with that said... I agree that proclaiming someones guild just because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time is absurd.

Actually the RIAA has to have proof that a specific IP address _UPLOADED_ a portion of copyrighted material ( it can't be a file named as a copyrighted file that is NOT what it is named ) to file for a "John Doe" subpoena to try to find the person associated with the IP address at the time of suspected infringement. Judges may or may not grant them the subpoena, there actually have been large numbers turned down due to lack of evidence.

Tidbit of fact: DOWNLOADING anything is not illegal, uploading or "making available" is all they can sue for.

So yeah, I think I knows a little about it.

#170 Kamikadze

Kamikadze

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

I not part of Ins/EA ally and i always against full domination of one guild, but my voice go for free Ins... if before gravity down all chars that used it Kha-bug to novice 1/1. It see fair *imho*.

#171 jake0619

jake0619

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1019 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:42 PM

some1 get 4chan against these ddos'rs

#172 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:23 PM

Who said EA was mad that they got banned?... Yes they are our friends/allies and yes it sucks that they got banned when so many other exploits happened with no repercussions, but hey they are big boys and girls and can do what they want and take what happens and deal with it. I laugh when I see people in the forums trying to say Insu did this EA did that. It honestly just makes me realize how many people really never tried to talk to people in either guild and based their assumptions just on the fact that we are better at WoE than the rest of the server was for a VERY long time.

Also EA being not so active in the WoE scene was determined before renewal and hell even before the Loki/Chaos server merge. Have fun figuring out how a not so competitive woe guild still kicked your asses for so long with the help of some really good allies.

Insur for the most part stopped liking E|A when the Wasa people merged in.
They even called you guys Wasa and a huge group of the old core E|A members left because they didn't want to be in "Wasa".
Just saying!

#173 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:24 PM

I not part of Ins/EA ally and i always against full domination of one guild, but my voice go for free Ins... if before gravity down all chars that used it Kha-bug to novice 1/1. It see fair *imho*.

They would just exploit something else.
The GMs have been very lenient in the past, and they finally decided to put their foot down. Maybe you don't know their history of exploits and harassment.

#174 Haibane

Haibane

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

Mmm, running smooth again for now - fingers crossed!!!
Thanks to the GMs / ISP team if they fixed it, thanks to the vigilantes if they 'fixed' the DDOSers! (in the veterinary sense...)

Heheh - as to all this discussion about the exploiters, others not getting caught or punished for exploits in the past is hardly a valid excuse!!!

Edited by Haibane, 03 December 2010 - 06:02 PM.

#175 ephinyus

ephinyus

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA
  • Playing:Requiem
  • Server:Trifri

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

Update December 2,

So we have finally gotten a good read on the metrics data from the attack... And yes it is a ZDOS this means infected computers around the internet are a part of the coordinated attacks. While this likely isn't surprising, the data from the history is suggesting this DDOS may have been slowly building since October and is a contributer to the overall lag...

Matching those IPs that are hitting us now matches many IPs of normal RO players.. so with that in mind I request

VIRUS SCAN YOUR COMPUTERS!!!!1!

I'm assuming this message is for RO players only? Or because it effected everyone, should we all heed this warning?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users