how is magician class (sorc & warlock) these days ? - Mage Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

how is magician class (sorc & warlock) these days ?

• Please log in to reply
1914 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteHerb

WhiteHerb

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

hey guys,

Since i have started playing RO, I never tried to play "magician" class.

so i figured it may be a good time to try out ! 

I am considering of making Sorcerer.

how is sorcerer in PvM ?

My guess is that it has a lot of limitations compare to RK, sinX, sinper, genes and RG.....

but is sorcerer capable of doing soloing some instances? and even MVPs? (not field MVPs..i am pretty sure gene & sura got those..)

how about solo-ability on normal maps ?

#2 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:43 AM

Don't know about sorcs, but Warlocks are fine, thanks.

#3 Casval17

Casval17

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationAxis Debris
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

Sorcerer is independent killing class now since the introduction of jRO's King of Spirit Ring :heh:

just spray your spammable DD and Earth Grave FTW :heh:

#4 CadburyChocolate

CadburyChocolate

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3553 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

MDEF scaling SUCKS!!!!! 

#5 WhiteHerb

WhiteHerb

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

warlocks are fun too ? hmmmm should i try taht?

#6 Casval17

Casval17

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationAxis Debris

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

Warlocks if you want to be extreme ghostbuster and extreme firefighter :heh:

they also LOL-ing at 100% MDEF piercing ability on some race now with the recent introduction of Pororoca Shoes+Lac stick combo :heh:

#7 WhiteHerb

WhiteHerb

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

it may be just me, but its kinda hard to get updated guides on build for sorc/warlocks..

is there anyone who can advice me on pros and cons of two classes?

#8 kubikyuu

kubikyuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1046 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

Yes, try Warlock. They can be super fun! :p_hi:

(Sorc is very nice, too. I'm just biased towards Warlock.)

I recommend you check out the Mage Class Replay section, there are quite a few Warlock instance/MVPs replays in there.

The cards from Nightmare Pyramid/CT as well as the Pororoca Shoes from the Overseas Care Boxes really boosted Warlocks.

So you might find them to be much stronger than they were before all that stuff came ingame.

For solo abilities: Both Sorc and Warlock can solo just fine.

If you don't mind buffslaves both also greatly profit from Kaahi, a Soullinker skill that makes you almost immortal.

Edit:

You can check irowiki for general Warlock information, it's up-to-date there.

Edited by kubikyuu, 05 April 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#9 CadburyChocolate

CadburyChocolate

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3553 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:39 AM

just remember, 1 handed staves are generally more powerful (and defensive obviously) than 2 handed staves

#10 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

IMHO, warlocks have always been the most fun to play class, even when they were weak. Now they're not top tier, but are strong, specially against ghost/undead/fire property MVPs, specially if there's water in the map. XD

Still, they're are quite harder to level than GXes, Genes and Rangers, even when you have triple the money invested in gears. Kubikyuu updated iRO Wiki's warlock build guide quite recently, and the job was very well done. You should check it.

The Core items are:

- Ordinary Black Magician Hat

- FAW with Nightmare Ancient Mummy Card

- Temp Dex/Int [1] with Nightmare Verit Card

- +7 Pororoca Shoes (no need to +9 it)

- La'Cryma Stick (pref very highly upgraded) with Nightmare Mimic/Big Ben cards (I have a set of 4 of them with specific cards)

- Elvira Cards in accessories (RWC Pendant MATK+6% or Pendant of Maelstorm or Geffen Rings)

- Neo Punk/Nightmare Arclouse cards in shields. Pref MBS, but Valk Shield is good enough if you cannot afford the MBS [1], since the other gears are quite expensive.

Give the class a try.

Also, we're always here to help if you need in the Mage Class section.

Edited by Kusanagisama, 05 April 2017 - 09:58 AM.

#11 kubikyuu

kubikyuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

Still, they're are quite harder to level than GXes, Genes and Rangers, even when you have triple the money invested in gears.

Imho Warlocks are not harder to level.

It's very possible to find maps where you oneshot outside of Turn Ins (Juperos, Scarabas, etc) and can also be a very effective help to any TI party with the appropriate gears.

The "hard" part starts at 150, when you will be going to NCT. Even then it's not hard, you can easily reach a comfortable 2-shot without using Mystical Amplification latest at 160.

NCT just is the point where you become a slower grinder than any decently geared GX/Ranger/etc.

Edited by kubikyuu, 05 April 2017 - 10:01 AM.

#12 WhiteHerb

WhiteHerb

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:02 AM

thank you for all the info guys ! 

its always exciting to try new class ! 

#13 Casval17

Casval17

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationAxis Debris

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:24 AM

You can also buy your leveling to the top, lots of people offering leech leveling service nowadays in exchange of handful zeny :heh:

just my 2 cents, in case you despise grind the hard way to the top :heh:

#14 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

Warlock is very fun to play, but you need to invest billions of zeny in order to make a decent Warlock character(at least 4-5x more than how much you need to invest for RK/GX). Are you ready for this? If not, you will have to lower your expectation, accept that you will have a rather weak character or move on to something else. But if yes, then welcome to the warlock party.

Edited by LordYggdrasill, 01 September 2017 - 05:04 AM.

#15 WhiteHerb

WhiteHerb

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

LOL ! billions of zeny ! i am not ready for that !!!! 

what abt sorc? nobody talks abt sorc =(

#16 kubikyuu

kubikyuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

Going by ragial's avg prices for stuff that gives descent results:

+7 Pororoca Shoes - 240m (+0 would be ~70m)

+0 Temporal Dex Boots (clean) - 5m

+7 La'Cryma Stick - 5m

Nightmare Ancient Mummy - 300m

+9 Spell 667 FAW - 800m

+0~9 Ordinary Black Magician Hat - 50m~90m

2x Alchemy Glove - lul

Red Lichtern Card - 8m

= 1.2b~1.5b

Big Ben Card - 180m

Neo Punk Card - 250m

Nightmare Arclouze Card - 200m

Nightmare Mimic Card - 120m

= 750m

You can also try to farm the cards yourself, or wait for an enriched Hammer event to upgrade the gears on your own.

There also is no need for a max Spell FAW, you can settle for (slightly) lower values. The FAW's refine level combined with Nightmare Ancient Mummy Card is what brings the big numbers.

Then for leveling until 150 you can technically ignore Nightmare Arclouze, Nightmare Mimic, Big Ben and Neo Punk Cards and just default La'Cryma + Pororoca.

You can just farm those cards once you are 150 or buy them when you have more founds.

Which is why I left those 750m is a second calculation. :v

Comparing to GX:

+7~9 Immune HBP - 250~390m

+9 Rideword Hat - 300m

+7 Malicious Thanatos Katar - 90m

+0 Temp Str Boots (clean) - 10m

2x Rogue's Treasure - 2x 135m

= ~1b

~1b and ~1.35b is not really too big of a difference if we're being honest.

And both lists are pretty much what I'd consider basic gears.

#17 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:47 AM

Imho Warlocks are not harder to level.

It's very possible to find maps where you oneshot outside of Turn Ins (Juperos, Scarabas, etc) and can also be a very effective help to any TI party with the appropriate gears.

The "hard" part starts at 150, when you will be going to NCT. Even then it's not hard, you can easily reach a comfortable 2-shot without using Mystical Amplification latest at 160.

NCT just is the point where you become a slower grinder than any decently geared GX/Ranger/etc.

My lowest level warlock finishes Mid TI in the same time my lowest level genetic finishes it TWICE, and in comparison with my GX, which is in High TI phase, the GX is still quite faster, and this is because there are Ceneres in High TI, and killing them suck because of their HP numbers. I remember leveling my 3rd warlock just a little bit earlier than my ranger and my early GX levels, and it was good that I leveled him earlier, because even so, they made me really disappointed in warlocks in general. So much that I stopped playing ranger (and seriously considered quiting) when he was level 149.

Not everyone has a couple linkers to Kaahi them. :P Maybe the disparity is lower with Kaahi.

Spoiler

About basic gears, Kubi is right, about end game gears, LordYggdrasil is right, though. But IMHO, you should take your time building your gears if you can't afford to buy them. I started from zero, have always mained warlock, always made my upagraded gears, and last time I updated my warlock's gear inventory, I had ~15b not counting my +12 GDS, and it's been quite some time ago.

Edited by Kusanagisama, 05 April 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#18 kubikyuu

kubikyuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

My lowest level warlock finishes Mid TI in the same time my lowest level genetic finishes it TWICE, and in comparison with my GX, which is in High TI phase, the GX is still quite faster, and this is because there are Ceneres in High TI, and killing them suck because of their HP numbers. I remember leveling my 3rd warlock just a little bit earlier than my ranger and my early GX levels, and it was good that I leveled him earlier, because even so, they made me really disappointed in warlocks in general. So much that I stopped playing ranger (and seriously considered quiting) when he was level 149.

Not everyone has a couple linkers to Kaahi them. :P Maybe the disparity is lower with Kaahi.

Genetic with or without Cylinder? If with Cylinder it's nothing that should be compared against while in mid TI range, instant aoe oneshot is too ridicoulus. Maybe once/if we get -fct costume enchants. :v

Warlock performance in TI is largely dependant on the mobs. If you can Crimson Rock them you're golden, else eh.

Also everyone can make themselves some Linkers, doesn't even take long. :P

They make grinding outside TI extremely relaxing, so I really recommend them for WL/Sorc.

About basic gears, Kubi is right, about end game gears, LordYggdrasil is right, though. But IMHO, you should take your time building your gears if you can't afford to buy them. I started from zero, have always mained warlock, always made my upagraded gears, and last time I updated my warlock's gear inventory, I had ~15b not counting my +12 GDS, and it's been quite some time ago.

Basic gears is what you start with though. :v

I also recently managed to finish HTF on a 149 WL. Works with no deaths, too. Need to record more videos again.

Lags please stahp so I can finally max my first WL. Then I'll go back to practicing instances and recording more. (And make a male WL once all of my current ones are 170+. D: )

Edit: I do admit that having a Deviant and a Syringe Toy really helped with surviving. Also damn you sleep.

Edited by kubikyuu, 05 April 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#19 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:08 PM

Genetic with or without Cylinder? If with Cylinder it's nothing that should be compared against while in mid TI range, instant aoe oneshot is too ridicoulus.

:ho:  :ho:  :ho:

Still can do it faster using +7 Leaf Cat Hat, but uses 3x more pots and a lot of strawberries, versus none with cylinder. :P I leveled my first genetic past Mid TI before Cylinder was even released... though the time spent was way higher. Still faster than my warlock.

Warlock performance in TI is largely dependant on the mobs. If you can Crimson Rock them you're golden, else eh.

This is true, and also compromises Warlocks' leveling performance either way, since we're restricted to what we can Crimson Rock, since no other skill is as good for leveling. Fortunately we have NAM cards now, and killing centipedes from level 110 is gold.

Also everyone can make themselves some Linkers, doesn't even take long.  :P

aint-nobody.jpg

I also recently managed to finish HTF on a 149 WL. Works with no deaths, too. Need to record more videos again.

Lags please stahp so I can finally max my first WL. Then I'll go back to practicing instances and recording more. (And make a male WL once all of my current ones are 170+. D: )

Edit: I do admit that having a Deviant and a Syringe Toy really helped with surviving. Also damn you sleep.

This will be great to watch. Lower level NTF is difficult because your Safety Wall won't last with low flee, and your ASPD will make Celine Kimi laught at you, also you can be easily killed if you mob. I recorded one fight agains Kimi (clumsy as hell... even forgot to change garments, and was surprised by the fact that the damage was higher than usual XD), but couldn't capture it with OBS. If I can beat my laziness again when I'm at home, I may PM you asking for some advice.

Edited by Kusanagisama, 05 April 2017 - 12:12 PM.

#20 Sewasan

Sewasan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1195 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:11 PM

Sorcs are retardedly easy to lvl tbh, i think is faster than wl, and in nct part they are pretty decent with spirit king rings.

Wls and sorcs are fun to play, but i think i save more supplies on my wl at end game, but maybe is just me.

#21 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

Sorc is definitelly much easier and faster to lvl than Warlock. It's survivability with kahii is by far superior than WL(infinite mp), its general survivability too, has much more sustained AoE damage and skills that align in cooldown.

WL has the upper hand on DPS when paired with Strings or against stuff that takes a lot of dmg from SE :v

#22 mlmf

mlmf

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Server:iRO Thor

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:15 PM

This post has been deleted

Edited by mlmf, 05 April 2017 - 04:21 PM.

#23 mlmf

mlmf

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:03 PM

Dont think of a warlock as infantry in an army, instead you think of them as siege weapons.

They are slow, fragile, and costly. They do not function well battling infantry alone or one on one. They always need infantry and walls by their side to survive. They always need a proper location to shoot from. But when all these things are set, they become one of the best defenders, capable of choking the offense and wreaking havoc in the field. They can be ballistas, single target weapons taking down even the most armored infantry with the variety of their ammo. Or they can be onangers, raining down damage, slowing down, or weakening the opponent army in large areas before both sides even do battle.

#24 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:03 PM

WL has the upper hand on DPS when paired with Strings or against stuff that takes a lot of dmg from SE :v

And Waterball. XD

#25 mlmf

mlmf

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

And Waterball. XD

Woe right now is full of burst damage, since everyone carries potions and spam the hell out of it. Waterball is 25 separate hits at 200% matk each iirc making it 500% with the set. While the total would reach 12500% which is on par with tetra vortex, its continues damage of around 5 hits per second (2500% p/s) will just be out-potioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users