legit or illegal ? - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

legit or illegal ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

#26 BlackMeow

BlackMeow

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2929 posts
  • LocationTree
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Both

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:39 AM

I'm doing TI with gene. I use flywing to get into the middle of a mob. Q and W are the hotkeys for candies. Using the rolling cutter logic, candy macros are legal right? I might destroy my Q and W keys when spamming candies.

pssst! *they don't have ways to know if you're using macro keys so you can use that* 

#27 yamasakai90

yamasakai90

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3030 posts
  • LocationUnder the Ground
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:07 AM

I'm doing TI with gene. I use flywing to get into the middle of a mob. Q and W are the hotkeys for candies. Using the rolling cutter logic, candy macros are legal right? I might destroy my Q and W keys when spamming candies.

As long as it is manually pressed (with a chance of overpotting) and you can make an active decision when to start and stop. Its fine.

But if its like IF hp is less than 70%, press Q. then no. Thats autopotting already

#28 DoentMatter2U

DoentMatter2U

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 342 posts
  • LocationGreenland
  • Server:Loki - Chaos - Odin

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:48 AM

making a macro that spams RC (for example) for you just so you dont have to break your keyboard is completely different

​Using Macros to spam skills, say Vanishing Point or Rolling Cutter vs a 50 MILLION HP monster I beleive is justified and actually makes sense to use over manual clicks that will:
​    destroy your laptop's Function keys
​    sprain your finger
    and in other cases like mine, sprain your back (YES I ACTUALLY DID).

Still very beneficial because macros can execute vanishing point and rolling cutter at a much faster rate than a human can do and it definitely gives advantages to users. Good thing is pvm does not care and woe is not active. As long as a user is not AFK, no way anyone can prove whether the user is using macros to spam skills or he is literally just that good at spamming skills. The point is as long as you can respond to GMs like a real human would respond, you are innocent.

Coming down to this is using macros to spam skills is advantageous but it is definitely legal because you are literally sitting on your computer to press down the assigned hotkey to spam the skill. 

Edited by DoentMatter2U, 15 June 2017 - 08:54 AM.

#29 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

how much you spam an ability is still capped by cooldowns, delays, aspd and animation. You can reach the maximum speed manually just fine,

#30 Fuuton

Fuuton

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2230 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

lmao.. everyone in here knows they used a ps1/ps2 turbo controller at some point.

whether or not it's allowed by GMs is one thing, but lets take a different approach to macros and morals: if you really feel the need to macro, you're basically telling yourself that you're either too lazy to play a game the way it was supposed to be played, or that your body's muscle-memory movements are way too slow for you to even keep up, or that you dont have patience, or you're too lazy, or possibly that you might rage quit if you can't be at 100% functionality the entire time (and maybe your normal human self is simply not capable of being 100% without an automated system enhancing your life lol).

there are simple little things like potting or skill spamming where its considered useful, but half the people vouching for the commonly accepted gray-area grounds are likely only trying to justify those small, understandable details to take macroing passed that "morally correct/accepted" line and into the red zone.

by the way, the only thing ever worth using a turbo controller for was MGS1.. that torture chamber and ridiculous X-button spamming just to save Meryl for the bandana... yikes.

#31 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:17 AM

btw, check what /q2 does :v

#32 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

lmao.. everyone in here knows they used a ps1/ps2 turbo controller at some point.

whether or not it's allowed by GMs is one thing, but lets take a different approach to macros and morals: if you really feel the need to macro, you're basically telling yourself that you're either too lazy to play a game the way it was supposed to be played, or that your body's muscle-memory movements are way too slow for you to even keep up, or that you dont have patience, or you're too lazy, or possibly that you might rage quit if you can't be at 100% functionality the entire time (and maybe your normal human self is simply not capable of being 100% without an automated system enhancing your life lol).

there are simple little things like potting or skill spamming where its considered useful, but half the people vouching for the commonly accepted gray-area grounds are likely only trying to justify those small, understandable details to take macroing passed that "morally correct/accepted" line and into the red zone.

by the way, the only thing ever worth using a turbo controller for was MGS1.. that torture chamber and ridiculous X-button spamming just to save Meryl for the bandana... yikes.

Or maybe people don't want RSI. 

#33 Latsabb

Latsabb

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:41 AM

This is pretty much me. Too lazy, too slow, cant be assed.

#34 Fuuton

Fuuton

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2230 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

Or maybe people don't want RSI. 

what's RSI?

dont "deez nuts" me plz.

#35 Latsabb

Latsabb

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

It is an injury due to repetitive actions, such as button mashing for days on end.

#36 awesomegeek

awesomegeek

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1629 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

you know this logic contradicts the perfectly legal and built-in /noctrl attack.

​No you're too lazy, you're supposed to hold down the left mouse button to manually hit the gazillion monsters for you to level up.

​You shouldn't use /noctrl cause IT AUTOMATES THE GAMEPLAY.

#37 Sewasan

Sewasan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1195 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:20 PM

Well, that torture part was a pain in the ass, and worst part is that i have to do it a couple of times fml.

#38 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

what's RSI?

dont "deez nuts" me plz.

https://en.wikipedia...e_strain_injury

#39 Exvee

Exvee

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1777 posts
  • LocationZaius (Magma Fire)
  • Server:Chaos/Odin

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

whether or not it's allowed by GMs is one thing, but lets take a different approach to macros and morals:

The moral is macro stupidly make some MMOs successful, when I asked ex-RO players in "another RO" they basically can't stand to feed homunculus/pet without being away, the stupid manual waiting when you recruit big party ala Bio 4 (really RODEX can built for "party advertisement"), no-warning alert when your vend got disconnected, and pressing 1000 times for pharmacy....

It's probably small things but they have valid reason to dislike those... Not even some MMOs, why people play Ragnarok Journey when the UI and concepts are so terrible? Because you can leave your PC and do something else....

Edited by Exvee, 15 June 2017 - 01:07 PM.

#40 Fuuton

Fuuton

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2230 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:20 PM

thanks for the RSI clarification. i thought it might've been related to carpel tunnel or something like that.

i guess it comes down to which generation you come from. i was born in the mid 80's and nintendo was my first system growing up. button mashing was what everyone did, until you had enough practice to learn intelligent button combos and such. but not on nintendo it was alllllll about button mashing lol. if you came from that generation of gaming then yeah it's kinda looked down upon to use macros simply because we already did it the hard way.. and to us, the hard way is normal mode challenge.

i know they say you gotta change with the times, but i just cant do it in this case. but then again, i dont really do anything that requires the use of macros now that i think about it.

#41 Latsabb

Latsabb

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

That is something about you, not the generation, as I, my wife, and basically everyone I am close with are from the same generation, and were quite happy to move on from the terrors that were cramping fingers and sore elbows. And it was never a test of skill anyway. It was just a way to make the game seem harder to prolong its life. It is like playing old Neo Geo games from the arcade on an emulator today. I spent hundreds of dollars on some of those games way back, especially the Simpsons and Ninja Turtle one. And then on the emulator, where you can just keep playing, you realize that not only were the games only like 20 minutes long, but they were only "hard" because they had basically undodgable kill stuff just to make you jam more quarters in. Your parents gave you 5 bucks, and even if you spent all 5 on the game, that is only 20 lives, which was unlikely to get you through the game. So you spent 5 years playing the same section that you could do on 5 bucks.

#42 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

my megadrive/genesis controllers had turbo buttons.... So did my atari joystick now I think about it....  what's this about generations lmao

#43 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

my megadrive/genesis controllers had turbo buttons.... So did my atari joystick now I think about it....  what's this about generations lmao

This! My first console was a nintendo (actually second, my first was an Atari... the one with a one-button joystick), but when I got a SNES, a few months after its release, there were unofficial controlers with turbo buttons for sale, which were bought right away.

Also, what Latsabb said. I remember replaying my childhood games on emulator and thinking "was it all?". I remember that ALL games seemed WAY harder when I was a child... Well... not all... Battletoads was still ridiculous. :P Still "less hard" than when I was a child.

#44 Diskence

Diskence

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1311 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

The moral is macro stupidly make some MMOs successful, when I asked ex-RO players in "another RO" they basically can't stand to feed homunculus/pet without being away, the stupid manual waiting when you recruit big party ala Bio 4 (really RODEX can built for "party advertisement"), no-warning alert when your vend got disconnected, and pressing 1000 times for pharmacy....

It's probably small things but they have valid reason to dislike those... Not even some MMOs, why people play Ragnarok Journey when the UI and concepts are so terrible? Because you can leave your PC and do something else....

Imagine if there was a megaphone sort of thing that let's you tell the whole server that you are recruiting for Bio4 instead of you having to sit there 24/7 doing nothing :). But of course the immature population (aka no one because no one logs on, not to mention WoE is dead) cannot handle the megaphone cause it will make the server more "toxic". Oh wait, every other server has it except for iRO. 

#45 Sewasan

Sewasan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1195 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:54 PM

Battletoads is still hard xD, also back then games were more about memorize patterns, thats where The difficulty came, you have unavoidable stuff but if you knew is coming then thats not really a problem. Also when i first play sunset riders on an emulator i find it extremely short aswell hahahaha.

#46 yamasakai90

yamasakai90

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3030 posts
  • LocationUnder the Ground

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:55 PM

I grew up with SNES, Gameboy, then the first Generation of PS. We mash a lot. Even the arcade games have joystics and like 6 buttons to mash around.

I believe grewing up with it and are used to it is one thing, but adopting an easier and more comfortable way is better. 

Believe me, mashing buttons as a kid was fun, but as we age... you have to be aware of all these injuries that come with age. RSI and Carpal Tunnel being one.

/q1 and /q2 were lifesavers before I learn that macro's are legal.  :heh:

Edited by yamasakai90, 15 June 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#47 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3959 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

RSI is another form of wankers cramp, the most deadliest if all known british diseases.

Edited by PervySageMarty, 15 June 2017 - 04:11 PM.

#48 Caturae

Caturae

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:01 PM

So... we should allow botting (aka macros) because people have a gaming addiction and develop "RSI" as a result? How about you... I don't know, stop playing for a little bit and take breaks?

#49 mildcontempt

mildcontempt

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3483 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

just for ze record: https://en.wikipedia...lse_equivalence

#50 Caturae

Caturae

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:25 PM

FYI, you're not going to get a "repetitive strain injury" just playing normally. If you play for way more hours per day than you should, maybe, but "repetitive gameplay" isn't your problem, addiction is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users