The state of Classic (last ditch effort) - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 7 votes

The state of Classic (last ditch effort)

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

Hi, it's been a while since I done one of these.... Why so long? Well I stopped caring and gave up. But Classic has been open for almost 5 years now so maybe it's time for a little chat about the problems with it.

I made a topic with all the effect I felt I could expend toward classic (it ended up as about 10 words) pointing out the small issues that make the server seem like a forgotten wasteland. Little things like not updating the automatic announcements for almost a year, not announcing maint (tho they claimed this was an error), forgetting to open the patch server.... That's all still valid and relevant.

Do you know green ales still work? That's another "little thing" that they haven't checked. 

Anyway, back on topic, so PVM is a wasteland. The cache system isn't going to fix the problems with PVM, what would fix it is changing up the current TIs (really we've had titans for years now), making them more friendly toward level 70+ players who are stuck after janeway. I mean Titans are pretty noob friendly, but rely on some key classes that aren't always available, mainly pullers. It'd be nice to see the return of magma/nogg road dungeon or something similar. 

Part of PVM is MVPing. MVP loots sell slowly due to small population and already geared players. Now I know this problem was addressed on renewal with the introduction of "eat gear". MVPing could easily be revitalized with the DIRECT addition of stuff like slotted mids. 

We have the challenge dungeon that still feels half finished. You know after spending some time on renewal in old glast heim it's disappointing to see it in the state it's in now. So much could have been done with that dungeon, including a quest line/kill count. It's just sad in it's current state. Maybe we need a new one. 

We have people bugging entire maps full of monsters on to a single tile so they can farm freely whilst ruining the map for those others who may wish to use it.... That's not PVM. That's just abusing AI. 

The current "event!" we have going on with the rockridge monsters... it feels half baked. I'm not trying to poopoo the staff's efforts (or am I?) but giving us some mobs to kill and saying hang on to the drops for mysterious reasons is really unmotivating. Give us real events! Talk to us! Classic is stuck in this state of "Seeing what we can do next..." it's been like that all year!

Look, I like Classic. It isn't perfect. It's far from it. We have bugged reflect in WoE that bypasses woe reductions (I wonder if that is to do with how reflect is applied, is it a special or is it in the db?), we have infinite range bowling bash and a problem where certain skills that are disabled in WoE or on WoE realms can be used via scrolls etc. It can't be that hard to disable assumptio scrolls outside of castles, or AR scrolls, or even consider disabling skills like battle chant that allow extremely powerful buffs to be gotten and carried over with no danger of dying.

Also there is abuse that can happen due to save points on the realms. I don't want to get into it too much, but the savepoints exist because of load issues from recall back in the day on old chaos/Ymir. Classic has none of that but all of the abuse that can come from saving on the realm. I'm not just talking about TKMs. 

And yet the thing GMs police most is emblems because of renewal's slow load times. It's silly. Very silly. 

As far as WoE goes, we have too many castles and too few guilds. I econned the whole Valfreyja realm for 3 weeks, and 3 of those castles for a month. I didn't even go there except to summon guardians. In this time we've gained 500+ OCAs. Which is going to produce a nice number of MP/DR/GR. Not to mention all the free ygg items. It really needs to be looked at. It's not right.

The smaller Classic gets the more vitriol and spite the community push on each other since they literally have nothing else to do. These people who have been playing vs each other for 5+ years (10 years in some cases) get quite vicious sometimes and those precious new players we do get (and it's quite a few tbh) see all of this and either jump into the toxicity themselves or just leave. In fact as I'm typing this an older player who returned somewhat recently is complaining about aforementioned toxicity.

However, it's time to stop blaming the players for that and start looking at what the toxic behaviour is symptomatic of - the server having nothing to do.

The cache system may be a start, but it's not going to occupy players for long. Killing plant property monsters is one of the most boring aspects of the game I can think of. We need TIs that provide GSBs and bring the community together. Give all those older players a reason to interact with new ones. 

We need interesting and fun challenge dungeons. Old Glast Heim is a fun instance the first few times - but to port it over to classic it doesn't have to be instanced! It could function similar to the kiel hyre quest. It would just be something to do. 

Okay I've ranted and I know there is so much more to be said, but that's up to other people too. It's not just me that feels like Classic is on it's last legs. 

#2 Macman1001

Macman1001

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

Yeh I agree 1000% and it all needs to change .... This isnt fair for us to be -_- on this server

#3 DoentMatter2U

DoentMatter2U

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 342 posts
  • LocationGreenland
  • Server:Loki - Chaos - Odin

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

Scrubs fighting scrubs = Futile efforts. Come on Xellies, rest your case. I love you. Come to Renewal. I cannot believe I am saying this but pvm has been very fun and enjoyable to me.

#4 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:54 PM

Scrubs fighting scrubs = Futile efforts. Come on Xellies, rest your case. I love you. Come to Renewal. I cannot believe I am saying this but pvm has been very fun and enjoyable to me.

I'm enjoying the time I spend on renewal - there's a lot there that could/should be applied to classic in pvm.

It can't hurt to try and have a little improvement can it? 

#5 Chorvaqueen

Chorvaqueen

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1099 posts
  • LocationMiddle Earth
  • Server:Teyvat

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

I jumped back to Classic (again) a few months ago out of frustration.

There's nothing else for me to do in Renewal for a non-trans 99/50 class. I'm stubborn, sue me.

I enjoy a lot of grinding and collecting/selling pvm trash but it doesn't feel rewarding anymore to do in Renewal.

I haven't been playing RO for a while but I'll probably hop in tomorrow for pRO's cbt then come back when the hype's dead. :heh:

#6 teresias

teresias

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationWest Prontera / Geffen
  • Server:Loki / Chaos / Odin

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:01 PM

I wish TIs on Classic are more like in Renewal's. Players are given lots of options per town whichever would work for them and their class. Can give more ways to progress after Janeway. And not just heavily rely on anolian skins abd/or fencer scrolls after 70. It can be a good way to revitalize PvM and revive empty towns.

Also, better starter gears. Like the Eden gears which get upgraded as you progress in game. And the good thing bout them is that those gears are still viable even after you transed; hence making the player not feel empty handed as he/she work on better gears. Currently, cursed set may be good but the Janeway weapon can't do much after lvl50.

#7 EaGle35SE

EaGle35SE

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Twitter:AllegedEaGle
  • Server:iRO - Classic

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

Leaving out all the guild drama, yea this is true for the most part.
IMO though this is a double edged sword where the player base isn't there so they aren't making much money off of it.
So Instead of fixing it they neglect it...
We've all made our suggestions numerous times with no avail.

At this point I don't even know what to say. I fee as though it'll just fall on deaf ears anyway. I'll just continue my little solo adventures until the inevitable happens.

I bet you anything in about 30 mins this will turn into insults and drama and get locked.

#8 Macman1001

Macman1001

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

Guilds wouldnt have to band together if a guild that holds a castel for weeks would sell or do something with the parts.... but nope you people can keep crying and being lazy good job good job

#9 DoentMatter2U

DoentMatter2U

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 342 posts
  • LocationGreenland

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:21 PM

Guilds wouldnt have to band together if a guild that holds a castel for weeks would sell or do something with the parts.... but nope you people can keep crying and being lazy good job good job

I'd rather being lazy then being bad well played well played. For the record I rarely do not woe in classic here. I do not care about the guild drama at all.

Edited by DoentMatter2U, 18 June 2017 - 04:25 PM.

#10 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

There's so much more to this than petty guild drama, try to stay above it. 

#11 Macman1001

Macman1001

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:28 PM

Ok I'll be good :)

#12 ClickyHpen

ClickyHpen

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Locationtwitch.tv/chpenn
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

woe is actually cool and good when there are enough sides, and ice titans are the perfect zzz exp with friends pvm experience, if there was a mid ground (i hate 70-89 i burned myself out on goats years ago ok) then life is grand.

#13 ChaoticRK

ChaoticRK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3228 posts
  • Locationprt_fild08

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:14 AM

Classic should be merged. Nothing else to do there unlike in renewal. Time after time youl guys will keep asking about renewal content on classic when nothing else left to do. Ragnarok was made to be like that then came renewal so why not? Merge classic to renewal please. TY.

#14 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:29 AM

no

#15 meli

meli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2688 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:10 AM

Classic should be merged. Nothing else to do there unlike in renewal. Time after time youl guys will keep asking about renewal content on classic when nothing else left to do. Ragnarok was made to be like that then came renewal so why not? Merge classic to renewal please. TY.

Yes, so classic players can quit making a profit RMTing the mvps they farmed on a dead server, good idea! ...not.

I would play classic if they took the data of the previous servers (Ymir, Valkyrie) before renewal update happened, and dumped it all together, in a classic server without stupid customization. But that won't happen, rip :D

#16 Rastaban

Rastaban

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:08 AM

Higher res sprites for more vendor trash will fix classic.

#17 bgmds

bgmds

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:11 AM

rofl, saying the number of guilds that participate in chaos woe will get your post deleted

#18 Bohem

Bohem

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1939 posts
  • LocationMage Class Forum..?

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:07 AM

how is classic server for newbies? (not new at RO but people who does not have characters in classic).

Are prices overpriced ? is it hard for new comers to do any WOE/MVP becuase major guilds has control over everything?

#19 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9326 posts
  • LocationBehind you?
  • Server:Chaos- Renewal

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:17 AM

rofl, saying the number of guilds that participate in chaos woe will get your post deleted

I don't think saying that there are only ~5 guilds woeing would be a reason, sure there wasn't another reason? lol

#20 DoentMatter2U

DoentMatter2U

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 342 posts
  • LocationGreenland

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:36 AM

Both classic and chaos are not for newbies. I think server wipe then merge the two a way to go :)

#21 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:01 AM

ragnarok itself is in a state long past to focus on aquiring new players. Too bad gravity doesnt seem to realize it.

#22 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:07 AM

I don't think saying that there are only ~5 guilds woeing would be a reason, sure there wasn't another reason? lol

I don't know what he posted, but if people spam report you, it'll get removed usually.

#23 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9326 posts
  • LocationBehind you?
  • Server:Chaos- Renewal

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

Would really like to see GM's say or do anything this week, we all know there was a bunch of woe threads the other week discussing hacking/cheating and other aspects of WoE but there was never anything said or done about it. Community is reaching out to try and fix something and it feels like it's just been swept under the rug and ignored. And these are some serious issues.

#24 Demeris

Demeris

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2213 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

Too bad the threads are always filled with shady activities being discussed.

I wouldn't also say the community is really reaching out to discuss WoE. It's the same people who posts about WoE being important when it's really not.

The higher paying community doesn't care abot WoE.

Edited by Demeris, 19 June 2017 - 08:32 AM.

#25 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10855 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

Nothing CMs can do about it because both sides will always accuse the other side for cheating. The only way to solve the problem is to take the matter into your own hand and fight cheaters legitimately. Unfortunately, RO is not another anime or a movie where justice'd always prevail upon evil. Cheaters always have advantages over legitimate players (justice warriors) in WoE by double. It would really take skills to outplay cheaters but this's possible and been done many times. Although justice has already prevailed in Renewal WoE 1/2 and TE, Classic WoE seems to have lost into the darkness :^)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users