Feedback [Holiday Card Art Contest] - Page 3 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Feedback [Holiday Card Art Contest]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#51 yamasakai90

yamasakai90

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3030 posts
  • LocationUnder the Ground
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

+1 for making Costume Muffler as Participation prize and account bound!

#52 mrricebox

mrricebox

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2194 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Canada

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:14 AM

It's still a mystery as to why they're not account bound. If the money hungry spammers could be weeded out the prize values wouldn't be as big of a problem (not saying the prizes in this contest would be fine if they were simply account bound). Looking back at old contests from 2014-2015 and the RWC 2013 contest, there's a pretty big difference in the quality of submissions when one would think they should be improving.

#53 Erydanos

Erydanos

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1159 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

Hi there! To address this concern, I'll be switching the Participation and Grand Prizes to make up for the price discrepancy that was present between them. Cheers!

I'm fine with that, I like both of them and I plan on keeping my prize.

Now back to the drawing board.  Being amateurish its no excuse to deliver half baked stuff of Rockerox-level.

#54 mrricebox

mrricebox

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2194 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

I'm fine with that, I like both of them and I plan on keeping my prize.

Now back to the drawing board.  Being amateurish its no excuse to deliver half baked stuff of Rockerox-level.

Better get your toilet paper and Crayola ready.

#55 sylwen

sylwen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:52 AM

So the selfish few win again? The ribbon would of been a nice prize for the average player, and the less than average artist (like myself) and the people who are pushing for muffler as grand prize, do they even plan on entering the contest or are they more interested in keeping items out of the hands of others. Similar to the fuss about the leopard hat. Greed is bad.

#56 ShenYuel

ShenYuel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationPayon

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:53 AM

Better get your toilet paper and Crayola ready.

That's just disrespecting... ^

Any Problem?...

BwLFrsD.jpg

If you are "that" talented go and make real money with your arts.

#57 ShenYuel

ShenYuel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationPayon

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

So the selfish few win again? The ribbon would of been a nice prize for the average player, and the less than average artist (like myself) and the people who are pushing for muffler as grand prize, do they even plan on entering the contest or are they more interested in keeping items out of the hands of others. Similar to the fuss about the leopard hat. Greed is bad.

Exactly, I see 3 people here at least, that they don't even draw and they still complaining about Muffler become average prize, that's other reason why thinking about people just want keep this item as "rare" to can keep the current price in market, once again they all just thinking about money/zeny.

#58 Leronovan

Leronovan

I am New.

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:48 PM

Hey, 

Just out of curiosity, will the winners get both the winning and participation prize?

Both of them are so cool :D

Thanks for your answer and for hosting this contest!!!

#59 Toxn

Toxn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3511 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

lol if you think the ones against the previous prize positions care about their own zeny or wealth

#60 ShenYuel

ShenYuel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationPayon

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

lol if you think the ones against the previous prize positions care about their own zeny or wealth

If that's not the reason then, let's get back to previous prize positions.
also.. if that not the reason, tell me and let me know whats the reason why they are against previous prizes?
if they "don't care" about their own zeny or wealth, then we can get back to previous prizes and everyone happy. 

#61 WarlockFier

WarlockFier

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Silph Road

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

:v Coming from an artist that used to win multiple contests on the forum in the past, as well as host contests and not benefit anything out from it than headaches and frustration...

If I were to speak up here I'd get more backlash than people who don't draw or are ever going to benefit from these events, and be accused of trying to hog big prize to myself or something (Despite I don't always win contests, just a few.) I think their opinion are a little bit more neutral than anyone that are planning to participate at all.

I think you are getting a little too worked up on the prize option yourself. You should use those energy to focus on making an impressive entry instead, who knows you come up with something pretty good (no sarcasm) and win the grand prize? Wouldn't that be more satisfying you earn something more rare by putting in effort? :)

I really look forward to all the entries, regardless they win or not. Good luck guys!

Edited by WarlockFier, 19 December 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#62 ShenYuel

ShenYuel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationPayon

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:22 PM

:v Coming from an artist that used to win multiple contests on the forum in the past, as well as host contests and not benefit anything out from it than headaches and frustration...

If I were to speak up here I'd get more backlash than people who don't draw or are ever going to benefit from these events, and be accused of trying to hog big prize to myself or something (Despite I don't always win contests, just a few.) I think their opinion are a little bit more neutral than anyone that are planning to participate at all.

I think you are getting a little too worked up on the prize option yourself. You should use those energy to focus on making an impressive entry instead, who knows you come up with something pretty good (no sarcasm) and win the grand prize? Wouldn't that be more satisfying you earn something more rare by putting in effort? :)

I really look forward to all the entries, regardless they win or not. Good luck guys!

Your point is good and could be sense, just if they were not talking about "1b costume" since very begin, as Sylwen said... it's happening the same happened with the Leopard Hood, since even people who will not even draw or going to participate, they are also complaining about get muffler as participation prize.

#63 WarlockFier

WarlockFier

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Server:Silph Road

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:27 PM

Aren't you doing the same now though fixating on the prizes so much? I don't really want to start a fight here, but I think we all need to just chill and hope for more events that allow players of all kinds a chance to compete for good prizes. :v

I have seen none artist come up with pretty impressive card arts before using crafts and creative materials, I think you guys can do it. It's all about trying and be creative. :)

Edited by WarlockFier, 19 December 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#64 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10855 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:30 PM

Some people are so quick to judge WP's greedy 12 days of Xmas give away event but when it comes to event prizes, most of them turn to blood suckers  :heh:

#65 alvehu

alvehu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Runeterra
  • Server:chaos

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

iCizGQG.jpg

there are no limitations, no excuses, if you really said you are an artist then you can perfectly draw like a pro in a piece of toilet paper... 

oh wait i'm not an artist and i didn't put effort on my work, also i don't have crayola geez ... ''

artist can make awesome arts no matter the subtract/canvas or materials he/she use. don't be selfish, stop complaining and let everyone do their best and enjoy this contest. 

XWv1fjK.jpg

Edited by alvehu, 19 December 2017 - 01:47 PM.

#66 KamiKali

KamiKali

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 5143 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:03 PM

b> alvehu commissions

#67 sylwen

sylwen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

b> alvehu commissions

I second this!
I would like to as well~

#68 BlackBird17

BlackBird17

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationPayon

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

'-'

I just finished my card and they decide change prize...

Edited by BlackBird17, 19 December 2017 - 06:46 PM.

#69 MyNameIsTaken

MyNameIsTaken

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1363 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

Thank you for switching prizes, they make more sense. Don’t think I have ever seen a contest where participation prize was better than winners.

Next step make them account bound pls.

Edited by MyNameIsTaken, 19 December 2017 - 07:02 PM.

#70 MikaKuchiki

MikaKuchiki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:29 PM

So sad. Actually so many people want to express themself because beside they want to say happy holiday, they can get the prize. I even try to teach them and support them to move and do their best. And now their dreams maybe crushed.

Why the contest really inconsistent?

#71 ShenYuel

ShenYuel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationPayon

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:29 PM

[Poring] Rich people who can spend tons of real money crying about the prize, just want monopolize it or what?
when there's a chance to everyone get a cute and cool item for christams you all just ruin it.

Do what ever you want with this damn contest and prizes at the end soon or later we all gonna leave this game and our "1B ZENY" gonna stay in the -_-ing game stuck and you will can not take it out from it, you all should take this game not that serious and remember is just A GAME with tons of pixels we suppouse to enjoin and have fun and help each other since we share the game, instead just complaining about "some prize is more expensive than other one"

I'm anger right now bcs she done her card with hype and excitate and now she won't join just because all your crying agh... you all just dont understand and grow up.

Edited by VModCinnamon, 19 December 2017 - 08:34 PM.
Mod Edit: Removed.

#72 MikaKuchiki

MikaKuchiki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:44 PM

I just wanna ask the warpportal consistence here. IMAGINE. You joining a run race. You already run halfway. Then suddenly the prize is changed. Isn't it like.... "What? Seriously?"
And when the race hold again, don't you think people will doubt to join?
Think again please!

#73 mrricebox

mrricebox

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2194 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:58 PM

Okay, since everyone seems to be getting rowdy it's serious post time:

What I've gathered from this thread is exactly the point I've been trying to prove from the very beginning. People are interested in the contest for the participation prize, which defeats the purpose of a contest where the participants compete for a coveted top prize.

The point of a participation prize in the first place was to offer a small consolation hat to thank you for your effort. It was never meant to be a highly coveted item that everyone wanted, or could be sold for money. The headgear used to be a simple named hat that matched the theme for the contest.

Right now, there's outrage over how the prizes were reversed. Why are you all upset? The answer is simple: because the prize you wanted is now harder to obtain. You didn't want the winner's prize. You wanted the consolation prize because the consensus was that the muffler was more valuable a prize than the snowflakes. That in itself should tell you that the prizes should be reversed without even touching the subject of money. If the argument is that the more valuable prize should be more widely available to people who couldn't snag it in the first place, then make a suggestion to introduce it in-game. Giving them away as a participation prize defeats the purpose of hosting a contest.

And now onto the topic of monetary value: everyone keeps using words like "rich", "sell", "buying", etc. yet continue to argue that the value of the hats has nothing to do with why they want it. Of course not everyone is after the hat just to sell it - let's be real, I'd be thrilled if I got the muffler as a participation prize, and selling it would do me no justice if there's nothing I'd buy with the money, and it's pretty evident by all the people arguing here that they feel the same way. But I'm not the only one entering this contest, and neither are all of you. Fact of the matter is, this is a public contest where anyone can join. One would be naive to think that there wouldn't be tons of people entering for the sake of snagging that rare consolation prize for themselves to make a quick buck. Look at the Extra Life campaigns. Look at the saturation of Leopard Hats that flooded the market shortly after. Clearly there were tons of people that donated simply to grab that hat and sell it as fast as they could to make a quick buck. Now apply the same logic here and I think you see the problem.

How does this reflect on the contest? Why the hell do you care? You're just a retired player who wants to ruin our fun!

Right, I don't play the game anymore but I still stand by fairness. Watching the art contests drop in quality over the years is pretty depressing when you think about it, and many very talented artists have stopped entering after watching them become money-makers. And this isn't to say that the quality of good art has decreased. We still have our fair share of artists that can draw professional-grade art and they should be applauded for their efforts. But the number of entries that are just scribbles has increased immensely. Take a look yourself at the difference between entries like this by tshin23 or this by NyuX from 2015. Are they top-of-the-line entries? No, but it's pretty evident they put their best foot forward. Now I'm not gonna post any entries from recent contests as I'm not here to call out any individuals, but you can dig through archives yourself and you'll see the difference in overall effort. I mean, take a look at the RWC 2013 Art Contest and you'll see what I mean.

Why are the contests becoming worse and worse? Where did many of those talented artists go (some are still active in-game by the way)? If you read above, I'm sure you'd see what went wrong over the last couple of years.

[Poring]

Edited by VModCinnamon, 19 December 2017 - 08:32 PM.
Mod edit: Removed response to hidden content.

#74 mildcontempt

mildcontempt

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3483 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

IMO, make all costumes account bound once you "open the box".

#75 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:13 PM

This marks end of the thread, thank you all for the feedback.

In future please refrain from calling out each other or asking one another to "shut up", this is never constructive nor helps the cause.

Posts of such have been removed along with their responses.

On topic,

The prize has been adjusted to be more appropriate, please see CM Astra's post here.

Saying that, please cast away your stress and anger and enjoy the festive season with your loved ones.

Happy Holidays.

Topic is now closed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users