CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Valk

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:02 AM

I remember a while back a GM mentioned that monsters have backstories. I was wondering if there was a place that had these backstories somewhere. The reason i ask is because it would help with the RO based stories i am writing. I was thinking of sending a ticket for the information, but i dont wan2 take up room for ppl who actually have problems that need help. So if the GM's or even a player who could point me in the right direction it would be really appreciated.

#2 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

bumping...still looking for an answer. I tried google, but couldnt find anyting.

#3 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

Nowhere outside of the game can you find the backstory to the monsters. Would be nice if someone created a lore wiki for RO.

#4 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

I actually kinda found somthing that some ppl in RO talked about in wiki. There was a small thread talking about some monsters there. Some info came straight from the game. Some even said that the libraries and the monster museum. So ill head in game to see what i could find. Maybe talking to a bunch of npc's in each town will give me more info.

If you wanted to see the wiki thread here:
http://forums.irowik...ead.php?t=61192

#5 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:29 PM

Oh, I thought you were referring more to the exclusively RO monsters (Rune-Midgart Kingdom, Schwartzvald Republic, Arunafeltz States). Culture town-based monsters pretty much came from the mythology of the culture they represent (i.e. Louyang = ancient Chinese mythology, Amatsu = Japanese mythology, etc.).

Regardless, aside from a few forum threads, there's really no solid place to find backstories to the monsters in RO. If I had the money and time, I'd be willing to start up a fansite dedicated entirely to RO lore and monster backstories.

#6 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

Well im looking for all monsters. Those were just what they talked about the most, which is useable information still. The one thing i couldnt find is stuff on MVP's. Anyone know anything about them?

#7 morphine

morphine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1123 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

There are a few engrishy tidbits around, for example, from the Prontera Library's outdated monster encyclopedias:

Hydra
Vegetable Monsters that live near water or in the deep sea that attack using tentacles. As a group, they're a pain in the ass.

Fabre
The weak and small larva of Creamy. Although some say it is cute, the author must disagree. Whole-heartedly.

Chonchon
Fly monsters that move with great speed. Amazingly, they can heal in the presence of fecal matter.

Coco
A small squirrel with dark, piercing eyes. It's always holding an Acorn, and would be cute if it didn't always have a look of utter contempt.

Bongun
A male oriental zombie who volunteered to be a monster to protect a girl who became Munak. It seems he fell in love in Munak.

Greatest General
Once a greatest patoron god protecting a village but it has been forgotten by the people. Its sadness became anger and it stays in one spot and started to attack people.

Skel Worker
A reanimated skeleton of a miner that has died, but come back to abuse its health insurance policy.

Phreeoni
An extremely strong bastard that is forty percent tongue.

Bathory
A wart-nosed Witch wearing bunny boxers that will attack anything prettier than her. In other words, she attacks everyone.

Magnolia
Cute looking creatures that appear as large frying pans cooking an egg. They mercilessly spank all that oppose them.

I kind of miss that section on an old version of the site with a list of monsters and short descriptions for them... XD

Edited by morphine, 14 January 2011 - 04:50 PM.

#8 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

Yea the pront libraries were my first stop. Then i headed to juno and then to the monster museum.

#9 Forzando

Forzando

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

I kind of miss that section on an old version of the site with a list of monsters and short descriptions for them... XD

That's what I was thinking too. I wonder if they still have backups of that old website or if it was all trashed. It'd be neat if they could add this to the current version of the site, somehow. If I remember correctly, there were also info on some maps / areas.

#10 Fureedo

Fureedo

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationIn a wind tunnel...in my dream~
  • Server:All of em?

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

I remember a few npcs in morroc would talk about some monsters...ants and pickies being some of them /ok

There are some scattered in pront too...

#11 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

Yea i found a few of them. One that i can remember off the top of my head was a sage in juno talking about "The Paper"

#12 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

lol @ Phreeoni's description.

I'm curious about Vanberk and Isilla. I know the Rachel Sanctuary lore, but I don't think they were ever explained. Are they fanatic Freya worshippers or something else?

#13 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

In-game RO Pokedex, please.

#14 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

In-game RO Pokedex, please.

This would be awesome lol

#15 Akami

Akami

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1121 posts
  • LocationHell
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:27 PM

I remember reading a story about the 3 Payon monsters; Munak, Bongun, and Sohee. It was actually pretty good, it was kind of depressing, but still good.

#16 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

I remember reading a story about the 3 Payon monsters; Munak, Bongun, and Sohee. It was actually pretty good, it was kind of depressing, but still good.

If im not mistaken about Munak and Bongun is that Munak ended up dieing somehow, and Bongun died as well to protect Munak even in this undead state.

Edited by CheddarJack, 14 January 2011 - 08:40 PM.

#17 Miii

Miii

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1219 posts
  • LocationIn this dazzling world
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

I wanna know Skogul's and Bio monsters history :rolleyes:

Edited by Miii, 14 January 2011 - 08:45 PM.

#18 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

I wanna know Skogul's and Bio monsters history :rolleyes:

Bio monsters are basically the sad victims of a mad scientist's experiements, aren't they? I remember someone told me the story is similar to Final Fantasy VII.

#19 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

Going off of old knowledge so bear with me folks.

But between Payon and Comodo. There is actually a "Munak" quest. It tells the story in detail between Munak and Bongun. I was big quest fanatic back in the day so i learned alot about RO lore.

I believe the reward for that quest was a component item to make Munak's tame item.

Payon also had a Kitsune quest as well.

#20 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:29 AM

I think that is to make the kitsune mask. Doesnt that guy need 999 nine tails so that he can be normal again? or somthing like that?

#21 antikv

antikv

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1285 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:42 AM

all i remenber is that lord of death was called william and is from a chapter from the bible.

#22 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

Most of the monsters in Amatsu are based on Japanese ghosts known as Yokai, traditional animistic representations of the natural world.

Tengu: The red faced monster is depicted primarily as a crow demon, predisposed to drink sake, confound humans with its long nose and sitting in trees

Kapha (Kappa): A water spirit, sort of a humanoid snapping turtle with a dish of water on their head. Alternately playful or dangerous, this creature loses all of its power if the water in the head dish spills. You can get them to do this by first bowing politely to them, when returning the gesture, they are defeated. This is how the importance of bowing is introduced to Japanese kids.

Karakasa: This odd one legged creature is part of a specialized breed of ghost, in Ancient Japan it was believed that mistreated inanimate objects like paper umbrellas, lamps, dolls, sandals, etc. would become resentful ghosts when they reach 100 years of neglect. Karakasas are deranged umbrellas, with one eye and fiendish tongue.

#23 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

OMG A GM REPLIED? Tbh i didnt think they would. Any more info you could throw my way ODA would really help me with my RO based story. If you didnt see in my story post i want to make an RO story of my own design that is chapters and chapter. Descriping skills and some ideas that would help me write will come from the DS game, RO itself, and other information i found on the internet, but the stories and characters will be all my own. So again anything you guys could give me on the monsters or even NPC or w/e would be really great and help me make that story even better. Even if its the mythology that may have been used would help. Cause to be honest nors mythology is very confusing and kind of hard to find.

#24 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:28 AM

It can be a bit tough digging up RO backstory. It seems like the newer towns like Lighthalzen, Einbroch, etc. have more backstory written in for the monsters compared to the older monsters, most of which are based on mythological critters.

As a thought/research exercise, (anyone in the thread is welcome) give me a list of 5 monsters you would really like to know about and I will try to find the history behind them. I'll ask around about old versions of the site, I do remember the monster, and item database.

#25 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:43 AM

Most of the monsters in Amatsu are based on Japanese ghosts known as Yokai, traditional animistic representations of the natural world.

Tengu: The red faced monster is depicted primarily as a crow demon, predisposed to drink sake, confound humans with its long nose and sitting in trees

Kapha (Kappa): A water spirit, sort of a humanoid snapping turtle with a dish of water on their head. Alternately playful or dangerous, this creature loses all of its power if the water in the head dish spills. You can get them to do this by first bowing politely to them, when returning the gesture, they are defeated. This is how the importance of bowing is introduced to Japanese kids.

Karakasa: This odd one legged creature is part of a specialized breed of ghost, in Ancient Japan it was believed that mistreated inanimate objects like paper umbrellas, lamps, dolls, sandals, etc. would become resentful ghosts when they reach 100 years of neglect. Karakasas are deranged umbrellas, with one eye and fiendish tongue.

Why are we missing mekomatas also missing kamaitachis... maybe make onis live around tengus, or better, have big kameosa as tengu slaves xP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users