Monster Backstory? - Page 2 - Game Discussions (archived) - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Monster Backstory?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#26 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Valk

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

It can be a bit tough digging up RO backstory. It seems like the newer towns like Lighthalzen, Einbroch, etc. have more backstory written in for the monsters compared to the older monsters, most of which are based on mythological critters.

As a thought/research exercise, (anyone in the thread is welcome) give me a list of 5 monsters you would really like to know about and I will try to find the history behind them. I'll ask around about old versions of the site, I do remember the monster, and item database.

Oh thanks ODA that would be great. Even if it is just five that still would help. Plus im sure if anyone else gets info they will share it with me as well. So my list will be:

Detard
Myst
Thanatos
Orcs (any of them or all of them if you can)
Baphomet (is he a gardian of somthing? or is he just evil)

Also i have a question about Endless Tower. Is it just a world created by naught where the monster and MVP's in the tower are just replicas of real monsters or are they real monsters protecting the tower?

#27 morphine

morphine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1123 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:19 AM

As a thought/research exercise, (anyone in the thread is welcome) give me a list of 5 monsters you would really like to know about and I will try to find the history behind them.

Injustice - I mean really. What the kinky hell was going on in GH?

Aliigator - Who went to the trouble of putting shirts on all these gators? Putting hats on random animals seems bad enough. Who's doing this? It isn't natural. Why are they shirts from a prison? Maybe they're fugitive alligators.

Alarm - Just wtf. Look at them.

Hylozoist - It is adorable, to be fair, but always seemed like they had a particular story besides randomly possessed bunny dolls.

Sting - It's a puddle of sentient goo wearing a giant cartoony glove. That shouldn't be.

#28 Forzando

Forzando

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

I think there was an NPC speaking about Alarm somewhere. I think it's the one that makes an Alarm mask for needles or something, but I could be wrong. And I also vaguely remember something about Sting... but yeah, it was probably on that old site.

#29 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

Usually you can find lots of info about monsters near their respective towns.
Lightzalten = Biolabs and fields(metalings)
Glast Heim(No one even levels there anymore huh?) = Geffen and Prontera
Nifflheim = some of the dead monsters

And sometimes you can find info at random.
Monster Museum at Juno

#30 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

Baphomet (is he a gardian of somthing? or is he just evil)

Baphomet is a very old pagan god (god of fertility) that was once worshiped in Europe. Worshipers were branded as witches by the Christian church. It's been theorized that Christianity got their imagery of the devil from Baphomet. (NO, I read up on this stuff LONG before I glimpsed at Dan Brown's books.)

I think RO's the only game I've ever played that features this guy. :rolleyes:

#31 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

Baphomet is a very old pagan god (god of fertility) that was once worshiped in Europe. Worshipers were branded as witches by the Christian church. It's been theorized that Christianity got their imagery of the devil from Baphomet. (NO, I read up on this stuff LONG before I glimpsed at Dan Brown's books.)

Oh man that is really interesting. Thanks for the info

#32 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

Although you only gave a general backstory to the real life version and not the RO version. Your practically describing the Amatsu monsters.

Here is a very general story about Baphomet RO version.
Evil monster sealed away in Prontera Maze.

I admit i used to know more, but hey, i took a break.

#33 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

Although you only gave a general backstory to the real life version and not the RO version. Your practically describing the Amatsu monsters.

Here is a very general story about Baphomet RO version.
Evil monster sealed away in Prontera Maze.

I admit i used to know more, but hey, i took a break.

Even though Baphomet was in RO long before the culture towns came into play, I never really understood how it fit into the RO world. So, yeah, all we really have to go on him is through the real world version as I haven't seen much in the game that explains the reason for him being there.

RO was supposed to be based on the Ragnarok manhwa, which was supposed to be based on Norse mythology. The culture towns and their corresponding monsters pretty much messed up the lore of RO with their existence. Unless Ragnarok is now a blend of different cultures' mythologies coexisting in an ancient world, which would be interesting if not for the fact that that's a LOT of mythology to make work into one cohesive game. If that is to be the case, I demand a Dynasty Warriors job class in Louyang.

#34 AtlasThunderbeef

AtlasThunderbeef

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:22 AM

Ro is mostly a collaboration of different mythological, old and modern beliefs and history. It's like the biggest get-together since rome.

#35 Recette

Recette

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:57 AM

I think RO's the only game I've ever played that features [Baphomet]. :rolleyes:

Actually, Alakazam from Pokemon is based off Baphoment. Pentagram-shaped head, ears that look like goat horns, and a moustache instead of a goatee.

#36 Rosenthrall

Rosenthrall

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:26 AM

Hylozoist - It is adorable, to be fair, but always seemed like they had a particular story besides randomly possessed bunny dolls

I always imagined the story behind the Hylozoist was about the same as the story behind the Teddy Bears in-game, being that they were dolls that were sold to children in Nifflheim and then came alive, but I doubt that there would really be two stories so similar.

On another less interesting note, though, hylozoism is a belief that matter (or material things, I guess) possess life; a believer of hylozoism being of course, a hylozoist. It sounds a lot like the backgrounds of the Greatest Generals and the Karakasas. XD

Pentagram-shaped head, ears that look like goat horns, and a moustache instead of a goatee.

Was that a pun? XD

Edited by Rosenthrall, 16 January 2011 - 07:27 AM.

#37 Allysia

Allysia

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationIn a better Place.
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:My Company

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

When 2 years ago my husband and I sent a private message to GMs to have info on KH monsters and their Generations, since I'm a pro illustrator and writer in real life and I needed of that material for some doujinshi and light novels to sell in Japan and France I thought that I could ask them to write the right things. The answer that we received in that context has been that we already knew and also that the materials that the players have is the same that GMs have...So well my advice is make the quests and read it, where there are quests about monsters (for example the story of Margaretha Sorin appear in the Redemptio Priest Skill). While for the monsters from legends, in Europe there are many good monster dictionaries and the same I think in US. Anyway remember that many monsters has been adapted and they are quite different from the original version.
For example the Valkyries, in the legends they are without wings and on horses. Another example the Anubis, is drawn a bit different from the Egyptians myth, Anubis had only the Jackal Head and not also the body, except in the first version that he was drawn as a Jackal more similar to a Matyr.

Anyway if I remember well around 5 years ago on the site there was a little dictionary with a short description...I can remember the Magnolia, the ghost of the Peco Peco egg never born cos he has been eaten from an adventurer.

As other persons said, in Juno there is the monster museum and there, there is some description. Unluckily on iRO there aren't the Orange Pages as fRO, this is a special NPC put in various city that explain you a little background and stats about the monster that area.

Last thing, about Thanatos. His story was in the Dandelion Quest unluckily not active anymore.;___:
And the Endless Tower in my opinion take it as an alternative story not in the normal storyline, it has been created based on Mirage Tower in DS game, so it is a sorta of side story.

Edited by Allysia, 16 January 2011 - 11:44 AM.

#38 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts
  • Server:EU abyss

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

Injustice - I mean really. What the kinky hell was going on in GH?

The Injustice Card is the really bizarre part. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#39 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

The Injustice Card is the really bizarre part. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

One of my favorite card arts. xD

#40 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

Hey does anyone know what is the deal with Ymir? Cause i found this the other day...Seems like somthing i could use if i knew more about Ymir:

A long and grueling holy war waged on for many years.

The war between God, the humans and the demons caused a great deal of damage to everyone involved. After the war, human beings entered into a truce with God and the demons.

This uneasy period of peace would last a thousand years. In the times of peace, in the world of Midgard, the humans would eventually forget about the miseries and hardships of war. They became conceited and selfish with little knowledge of their part in the war of the past.

Bizarre occurrences begin to break the balance of peace in several places of Midgard. A roaring sound that blocks God, humans and demons suddenly appears. Unprovoked attacks from wild animals along with earthquakes and tidal waves ravish the people of Midgard.

As the peace begins to break down, legends of the mysterious demons begin to be told by various adventurers. Stories of Ymir, which has been responsible for maintaining the peace for so long, begin to circulate as well.

Excited adventurers begin to search for these pieces. Some search for wealth, others to make a name for themselves and some for their own twisted goals. The search begins without anyone knowing the true essence of the pieces of Ymir....

#41 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

Actually, Alakazam from Pokemon is based off Baphoment. Pentagram-shaped head, ears that look like goat horns, and a moustache instead of a goatee.

But he doesn't have a scythe, which is a trademark of Baphomet because he's the god of fertility (which refers to fertile farmlands in addition to human reproduction).

Anyway if I remember well around 5 years ago on the site there was a little dictionary with a short description...I can remember the Magnolia, the ghost of the Peco Peco egg never born cos he has been eaten from an adventurer.

That's kind of depressing. :rolleyes: Then again, after having it steal my stuff most of the time, I feel justified in killing it because I never ate a Peco Peco Egg. :P

Hey does anyone know what is the deal with Ymir? Cause i found this the other day...Seems like somthing i could use if i knew more about Ymir:

Well, if we go by the context of the Ragnarok manhwa...

I don't remember in detail since it's been a while since I read the manhwa, but I think Ymir was like the creator of the Rune-Midgart world and his heart became the heart of the world. I think the Norse gods were supposed to watch over the world, but some of them wanted to rule over it instead and that was what caused the war of the gods prior to the Ragnarok manhwa. Baldr died during the war and the Heart of Ymir was shattered to prevent the gods from becoming the lords of the world. A thousand years later, Baldr and Fenrir are reincarnated into human denizens of Rune-Midgart and they go on a journey to stop the god Freya from acquiring all the pieces of Ymir's Heart and become all powerful.

And then Lee Myung-Jin kind of spoiled the rest of the story by saying that Freya was defeated by Chaos and Chaos goes into hiding and that's when the story of Ragnarok Online begins. :P

#42 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:51 PM

Don't quote me on this, but if memory is right. As far as Baphomet is concerned, you can get a decent amount of info about him by doing alot of quest in the Rune Midgard country. And by country, i mean quest from all the cities. Trying to go off of old memory here but i deffinetly remember getting tidbits of info that were spreaded out between the Midgards.

Some quest being more lengthy than others like the Kiel Hyre quest. Also the monsters in Freya temple can get gotten in Rachel as well. I cant remember if you have to do the Freya Temple quest first or if you can pull the info from random NPC's from the get go though.

#43 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

Looks like im going questing for a while doesnt it lol. Anyone want to join me one day? http://forums.warppo...tyle_emoticons/default/happy.gif

Edited by CheddarJack, 16 January 2011 - 09:00 PM.

#44 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

Looks like im going questing for a while doesnt it lol. Anyone want to join me one day? http://forums.warppo...tyle_emoticons/default/happy.gif

I wouldn't mind if you're on Ymir.

But regardless of servers, how would you go about doing the quests with no direction? Does it matter what order you start an arc quest in? I would like to see a quest map tree of the best way to experience these quests. How would you guide a newbie who's interested in directed lore questing like what you see in WoW and LOTRO?

Edited by ZeroTigress, 16 January 2011 - 09:08 PM.

#45 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

Another thing i would mention is that you also get monster info for doing certain class change quest. So if you don't have or tried all the classes, your missing out on some info.

#46 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

Another thing i would mention is that you also get monster info for doing certain class change quest. So if you don't have or tried all the classes, your missing out on some info.

Well then looks like im missing some info then hahaha

#47 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

I wouldn't mind if you're on Ymir.

But regardless of servers, how would you go about doing the quests with no direction? Does it matter what order you start an arc quest in? I would like to see a quest map tree of the best way to experience these quests. How would you guide a newbie who's interested in directed lore questing like what you see in WoW and LOTRO?

Aw too bad your on Ymir...im on valk, but i think i would use wiki and probly just go down the list if i could. Some quests though do have stories to them, which i might wan2 bust out first cause they take the longest.

Who would have though doing research for a story that you wan2 create would be this involved...sigh. Maybe ODA will come through for me soon with the info i asked about http://forums.warppo...tyle_emoticons/default/happy.gif

#48 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:10 AM

Someone could start some pages on irowiki for Monster Lore or what not...

#49 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:46 AM

As a old school quester. I can say from experiance it doesnt really matter that much what order you do the quest in. Since i've been in RO since the beginning i suppose technically, you can do the quest in the order they were released. Also if your into hat collecting like me and my guildmates were, you were bound to run into lore info as well. Which brings up another point, doing quest with freinds is loads of fun. I remember a conversation i had with one of my buddies.

Myself: Wow.......
buddy: Dude, this NPC turned out to be a total****.
Myself: I know right? He seemed like such a good guy at the beginning.

Also some quest have level requirements, so if your too low a level to do one, then put it on your to-do list.
If you were never a quester, then you would have alot of catching up to do. So you could just start in Rune Midgard and work your way to the other countries. I always made it a habit to get the Fruit Juice quest outa the way first for all my freinds and future new characters since i'm always making juice for my pets. It was also one of my usual Alchemist selling points. "Welcome to FirePhantom's Juice Bar!"

Quite a bit of Lore quest directly tie in to certain monsters. Like some Einbroch quest.

Also, your be surprised how interesting alot of the quest can be. I either main my Sage/Assassin/Priest and this one quest i did actually forced them to take the Knight job class change test. Man, that was sure fun for my Preist(Sarcasm).

P.S.
Nemma-chan!!!
Posted Image

Edited by Tetsamaru, 17 January 2011 - 01:04 AM.

#50 Kiehl

Kiehl

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:51 AM

As an addition to Allysia's post (since she's now unable to post), there are also signs outside some dungeons that tells information about the monsters inside.

There are also NPCs outside some dungeons that tell about moster stories. For example in Einbech there's an NPC that tells you about how the Ungoliant emerged after some excavations and another that tells the story of the Teddy Bears.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users