Say hullo to our Community Mods! - Page 4 - Archives - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Say hullo to our Community Mods!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
131 replies to this topic

#76 Kiryu

Kiryu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • LocationLily of Elon -Crystal Desert
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows - GW2

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

I'm really happy about the three choices, especially Makk but that is because I'm a fangirl of his comics lol

#77 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

I disagree, I play.

Who are you again?

#78 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

Who are you again?

Check your PMs in game.

#79 Tigra

Tigra

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1656 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

how do i become a mod?

Apparently you need to be in love with the GMs, which can only come from not actually playing the game.

#80 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

Moderating the forums does not require in-game experience. Just saying. =P

#81 aurum

aurum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

then why not make lazerus or droyd be moderators?

#82 CyFire

CyFire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

Hi Mods! Both new and old.

#83 Nolanvoid

Nolanvoid

Nolan Smash!

• Retired
  • 2024 posts
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:57 PM

Welcome new mods!

#84 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

then why not make lazerus or droyd be moderators?

I never said what it DID require, only that you don't need to play the game to tell what should and shouldn't be on the forums.

#85 lightmike

lightmike

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:53 AM

Hello, how are you, and welcome.

#86 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

Makk! :) MakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakkMakk!!!

They should have made me off topic moderator or some really token position just to show everyone I'm important.

Sera for Off-Topic mod! :)

Where's Heim's introduction? *Pokes him*

About 5 years too late.

#87 Makk

Makk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • Location@ work. always.
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:50 PM

An Off Topic mod wouldn't be a bad idea, but finding someone to be lawful neutral for it may be difficult. :)

#88 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

I beg to differ. Lawful Evil still follows rules, just not ones you might agree with.

#89 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Server:Valk

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

Hello all you happy people *read in droopy voice*

Some of you may remember me from the old forums before I took a little break. There I created about 10 pages of sprite comics and then promptly procrastinated it out of existence. I've played since about the comodo patch and happily lived on Loki until the merge. There I ran a silly guild but have since retired from the lovely world of guild leading while I still have some hair left. I've been described as suicidally optimistic and I'm pretty sure that's accurate. Other little known facts:

• Some say I can't see the color fuchsia.
  • and that I actually have a lead foot.

All I know is, I'm called the Makk. :)

Oh cool Makk is a Mod now. I remember back in the day (by that i mean a year ago lol) he drew me this, just because i asked ^_^

Posted Image

I think it came out well. Actually because he drew my hair purple in this pic (it was originally brown/black) i changed my sins hair to purple to match ^_^

Now i cant picture it being any other color than that, and niether can my guildies lol

Edited by CheddarJack, 14 July 2011 - 04:50 PM.

#90 Makk

Makk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:51 PM

hehe, I remember that one. Sorry I did it really quick, if you want me to give it another go, just give me a pic and see how little of a difference 2 more years of practice makes :)

EDIT: and as far as that comic goes, I'm honestly thinking of turning it into a flash animation deal, but I'll have to see how that goes.

Edited by Makk, 14 July 2011 - 05:01 PM.

#91 Pyrasia

Pyrasia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

I'm really happy about the three choices, especially Makk but that is because I'm a fangirl of his comics lol

So it's not about his/her ability to actually mod then xD

#92 Makk

Makk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

Well it's not like Kiryu has any past experience of me modding to draw from.

Hmm, all this talk of alignment kinda makes me want to make an alignment chart for the forums. Anyone care to beat me to it?

#93 Kiryu

Kiryu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • LocationLily of Elon -Crystal Desert
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows - GW2

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

actually, since the old forums, makk always looked kind of neutral to everyone's point of view until he take a side and a lot of drama free compared to a lot of people here.

also, the post of inu and maka that I have read before even if they go against something I think is wrong doesn't piss me off like other people present.

Sera for off topic mod... o.o good I rarely pass over there

#94 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

If you really want to know why some of the things I set as criteria for being asked to be a Mod it was the following.

• Been around awhile as a poster
  • The posts are intelligent and exhibit patience and understanding.
  • Isn't a reactive personality
  • Can follow the rules
Things I don't require: I don't require that you always agree with me/decisions/company, but if you do have a disagreement it is a polite discussion not flamebait. Lord knows we here at the office have had some heated debates but we always kept it civil even when we are 180 degrees apart. A mod needs to be able to see the opposing points of view and be able to comment on them honestly without having to "toe the company line" otherwise they will have no creditbility from you the community. It isn't the hardest job but it is much easier if you have that sort of personality. There are of course other potential mod personalities out there in the forum.

#95 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

Hmm so you want my introduction..

Well I've been working here since just after the Transcendant update (I had applied 3 times prior starting in 2002). I've been playing since 2001, and the thing that attracted me to download RO was how free the camera was and how much freedom of movement there was. The way we (my friend and I) found RO was via a fanartist that did alot of work we looked at and a couple doodles were of RO characters, so we followed the Rabbit Trail and arrived at the ancient eRO site.

I went to skool got a degree then promptly had problems finding work, finally getting the call in to interview here was a god send and frankly a dream of mine at the time. I knew realistically it was a office job, not a fantasy game company kind of job like I've had so many relatives and younger friends ask. But what kept me working here through the years went beyond the fact I was working for a "game Company" or Ragnarok, it was the people I worked with. Working as a GM is stressful as it never ends, you can NEVER finish a project because there is always 1 more bot, one more report, one more email, and if you have all those done you literally have infinite things you could do like writing events, helping players etc to do. Gradually I moved around positions a bit to the fledgling RO CM position from a senior GM position I had prior. I've always been a part of the event process since I started, and I've always been more of a "do it for the community" mentality back when that wasn't my job.

So eventually it became my job and as we gradually transitioned to handling more event/update development work (rather than just translate and implement) I started to move more into planning stuff rather than just trying to be the community guy. A lesson learned over the years is that passion and ability can only take you so far when you have restrictions such as time/manpower. So gradually we became more of a team rather than a couple of GMs that put in what time we could for events. We started doing TONS of events because that was what we determined we needed. RO is a very Eastern style game that we are working with a Western audience, so we have worked very hard at trying to make the different gameplay styles work.

I think we have done very well from a game update side, and keeping events going constantly in-game, but we still have hard times with various issues. I personally hate when we put a lot of effort into something and it doesn't go well, worse when the angry kids come out and just crap over our creation. But I suppose those are the users, and the vocal angry kids really only amount to about 1% of the actual community, so the happy ones and the silent ones are what we now aim to please. By now I've developed the attitude "there is never enough time to be perfect, but every thing you do try to leave it better than it was"; and that is how we are working on events, to make them become a permanent asset so that new and old players can benefit from the updates and not have the steep decline that everyone has been saying will happen for the past 6 years :)

My personal life outside the company is really boring.. as anyone that has gone on the RWC or something can attest to. I'm an average person, that likes to stay home and watch old movies, read books and play whatever games I can with my friends, my work day is the most interesting thing about me. I guess I do have one interesting thing, I've not been bored, not even for one moment, since 2004, so thanks for that folks.:)

#96 Makk

Makk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

I guess I do have one interesting thing, I've not been bored, not even for one moment, since 2004, so thanks for that folks.:)

I just imagine you having to have to say this about once every three days or so:

"Wait, they did what?!" :)

#97 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

There are of course other potential mod personalities out there in the forum.

Yeah, like me.

Hmm so you want my introduction..

Well I've been working here since just after the Transcendant update (I had applied 3 times prior starting in 2002). I've been playing since 2001, and the thing that attracted me to download RO was how free the camera was and how much freedom of movement there was. The way we (my friend and I) found RO was via a fanartist that did alot of work we looked at and a couple doodles were of RO characters, so we followed the Rabbit Trail and arrived at the ancient eRO site.

I went to skool got a degree then promptly had problems finding work, finally getting the call in to interview here was a god send and frankly a dream of mine at the time. I knew realistically it was a office job, not a fantasy game company kind of job like I've had so many relatives and younger friends ask. But what kept me working here through the years went beyond the fact I was working for a "game Company" or Ragnarok, it was the people I worked with. Working as a GM is stressful as it never ends, you can NEVER finish a project because there is always 1 more bot, one more report, one more email, and if you have all those done you literally have infinite things you could do like writing events, helping players etc to do. Gradually I moved around positions a bit to the fledgling RO CM position from a senior GM position I had prior. I've always been a part of the event process since I started, and I've always been more of a "do it for the community" mentality back when that wasn't my job.

So eventually it became my job and as we gradually transitioned to handling more event/update development work (rather than just translate and implement) I started to move more into planning stuff rather than just trying to be the community guy. A lesson learned over the years is that passion and ability can only take you so far when you have restrictions such as time/manpower. So gradually we became more of a team rather than a couple of GMs that put in what time we could for events. We started doing TONS of events because that was what we determined we needed. RO is a very Eastern style game that we are working with a Western audience, so we have worked very hard at trying to make the different gameplay styles work.

I think we have done very well from a game update side, and keeping events going constantly in-game, but we still have hard times with various issues. I personally hate when we put a lot of effort into something and it doesn't go well, worse when the angry kids come out and just crap over our creation. But I suppose those are the users, and the vocal angry kids really only amount to about 1% of the actual community, so the happy ones and the silent ones are what we now aim to please. By now I've developed the attitude "there is never enough time to be perfect, but every thing you do try to leave it better than it was"; and that is how we are working on events, to make them become a permanent asset so that new and old players can benefit from the updates and not have the steep decline that everyone has been saying will happen for the past 6 years :)

My personal life outside the company is really boring.. as anyone that has gone on the RWC or something can attest to. I'm an average person, that likes to stay home and watch old movies, read books and play whatever games I can with my friends, my work day is the most interesting thing about me. I guess I do have one interesting thing, I've not been bored, not even for one moment, since 2004, so thanks for that folks.:)

tl;dr please

#98 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Server:Valk

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

hehe, I remember that one. Sorry I did it really quick, if you want me to give it another go, just give me a pic and see how little of a difference 2 more years of practice makes :)

Well tbh i thought this came out quite well. If you wan2 draw it again go right ahead. How about this time you draw how he has changed, since he is a GX now.

Here take a look:

Posted Image

I've got nothing to hide and niether does he

Edited by CheddarJack, 14 July 2011 - 07:19 PM.

#99 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

Yeah, like me.

Me first.

#100 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

Down woman. Down.

But... You do have a head start, if you know what I mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users