US Themed Map - Page 3 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

US Themed Map

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#51 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:29 PM

Being from the North East, I have to say there's really nothing terribly inspiring out there (except maybe the chance of a giant mutant lobster MVP). Who cares about equal representation. I want cowboys.

#52 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:04 PM

Even better: Cowboys vs Fast food restaurants.

#53 firewind

firewind

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:13 AM

a Dung like a Gold Mine

#54 AsuraStrike

AsuraStrike

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationJust a RO Player passing through
  • Server:RO1 - Chaos, RO2 - Odin

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

a Dung like a Gold Mine

Golding!!!

#55 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:53 AM

I remember an episode of that old hercules tv show where one of the minor characters was investing 'fast food' with a roadside cart, and it didn't catch on. As long as they make it fit with the setting, there could be a crazy chef in the cowboy town trying to push his new personally invented 'fast food' concept, and then the town would satire the USA pretty completely.

#56 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:37 PM

I've lived in America all my life, and never have I thought of it being a cowboy themed place. In my opinion America as a whole more so resembles the 1950s ideal. If anything that should be the type of town we get. A little pharmacy, with barstools where they serve ice cream and soda pop. Some Huckleberry Finish looking areas. Maybe a stream or river we can fish in, and sell to NPC's for zeny. A school house. Stuff like that would be more USish.

Edited by Maka, 05 September 2011 - 11:40 PM.

#57 darkagentx

darkagentx

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:46 AM

Mmm... milk bar...

#58 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:25 AM

I agree with the 50s style, but somehow I think it's too modern for RO.
If it would be "ruins" like we see it in the wasteland of the Fallout Series, it would fit better, still, this was caused by a nuke - what explain could we have for ancient RO to have gone wrong? And, of course, it could result in Copyright issues with Bethesta...

#59 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Server:Valk

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:43 AM

I've lived in America all my life, and never have I thought of it being a cowboy themed place. In my opinion America as a whole more so resembles the 1950s ideal. If anything that should be the type of town we get. A little pharmacy, with barstools where they serve ice cream and soda pop. Some Huckleberry Finish looking areas. Maybe a stream or river we can fish in, and sell to NPC's for zeny. A school house. Stuff like that would be more USish.

Well this 1950's ideal got me thinking, maybe we shouldnt be thinking of places or items. America is about democracy and diversity. So what if we have a place with characters and npc's that have come from every place town in RO. We could still have this 1950's look, but maybe have some of them interact with each other.

Edited by CheddarJack, 06 September 2011 - 05:44 AM.

#60 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:12 AM

I think you could split the difference and have a turn of the century style "main st. USA" type map as the port of entry for the map.

Posted Image

Players then travel over a dangerous terrain to reach the old west frontier town at the other end of the maps.

Posted Image

The frontier town acts as a hub for level 150s to do repeatable quests and instanced dungeons
Posted Image

Haunted mine (for priest classes) and bandit's canyon (lots of demihuman mobs) come to mind as places for people to run around in parties fighting.

Well this 1950's ideal got me thinking, maybe we shouldnt be thinking of places or items. America is about democracy and diversity. So what if we have a place with characters and npc's that have come from every place town in RO. We could still have this 1950's look, but maybe have some of them interact with each other.

Yes. having merchants, NPCs and such from different parts of Rune Midgard is one thing I definitely want to put in.

#61 Pururu

Pururu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:19 AM

Militarty themed map:

The map would be like a modern city
Monsters:
mechanical eagle airplanes piloted by a squirrel firing rockets or dropping bombs
goblins or whatever cute monster wearing military suits equipped with guns of different sorts and combat knives
Tankrings
ufo piloted by cows

Food themed map:

The map would be like made of sweets, cookies and lollipop as tree for example
Monsters:
Hamburgerings
Caterpillar looking like hotdogs
fries in some sort of package throwing fries at you from the package
volatile soda can/bottles with legs running like a boss going like "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!" at you and exploding if they hit you.

Cowboy themed map:

Cause it's probably the most obvious one. And less reta...
Monster:
PONIES
Other stuff

------------------------------------------------------------

Now you take all those and pretend the map are in like a movie production facility and throw a mad super hero movie realisator as MVP in the last map.

Edited by Pururu, 06 September 2011 - 06:22 AM.

#62 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

@ODA how come you keep pushing the old west/fontier theme? Did kRO already decide on the old west theme without asking?

#63 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:59 AM

@ODA how come you keep pushing the old west/fontier theme? Did kRO already decide on the old west theme without asking?

I doubt kRO's given it much thought, personally an Old West town is something that would be

-an aesthetic that is distinctly American, but still allows thematic flexibility
-would be interesting to other versions of RO to import (more likely for kRO to do)
-Be a way to expand on the gunslinger class
-would fit in the "lore" and tech levels of RO
-something that not a lot of MMORPGs/video games have explored

#64 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:09 AM

TBH all i can think that would do is give kRO a place to expand gunslinger and that is it. It honestly doesnt represent how we are today. I know that we need something that can be represented in RO, but there are much better ideas in this thread that could better represent our country.

#65 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:17 AM

Well, Lou Yang doesn't represent the china of today as well, or Amatsu doesn't fit to the today's Japan.
The only map that has a modern setting is the new Phillipine map, and I feel very strange with having car's on their streets, that doesn't fit into RO at all.
I also think that the old west isn't exactly fitting to the US of today, but I agree that it's the best you can do to fit in to the RO feeling.
Also, it's a great possibility to include the native americans, cause, be true, every today american that hasn't relatives from native americans, have their family roots outside of the US...
That's nothing really important, but I think, it's a nice touch to include native americans as well as it was originally their country.

#66 Lovebane

Lovebane

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

I think you could split the difference and have a turn of the century style "main st. USA" type map as the port of entry for the map.

Posted Image

Players then travel over a dangerous terrain to reach the old west frontier town at the other end of the maps.

Posted Image

The frontier town acts as a hub for level 150s to do repeatable quests and instanced dungeons
Posted Image

Haunted mine (for priest classes) and bandit's canyon (lots of demihuman mobs) come to mind as places for people to run around in parties fighting.

Yes. having merchants, NPCs and such from different parts of Rune Midgard is one thing I definitely want to put in.

Oda, Why don't you just say we're building a Disneyland in RO?

If you do a Frontiers type of thing.. I hope you put in something Oregon Trail-esque. players would be walking around on the map all of a sudden.. (sorta like Umbala Bungee instant death) and they "Died of Dysentery".

#67 Beyond

Beyond

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationThe Cloud
  • Server:Loki -> Ymir -> Chaos

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:44 AM

It's a small Midgard after all?

#68 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:14 AM

If you do a Frontiers type of thing.. I hope you put in something Oregon Trail-esque. players would be walking around on the map all of a sudden.. (sorta like Umbala Bungee instant death) and they "Died of Dysentery".

Unfortunately Oda has drowned while you attempted to ford the river.

#69 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:34 PM

Drew this up on my lunch break for funsies:

Posted Image

#70 Alca

Alca

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:06 PM

damn that looks awesome Oda.

Btw, for anyone who hasn't seen port malaya, there are cars there. No reason for gunslinger 3rd class not to get steam cycles or something for mount >:|

#71 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:41 PM

Oda is really into this.

I like.

#72 darkagentx

darkagentx

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

That made my day, that'd be so awesome.

#73 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:49 PM

Drew this up on my lunch break for funsies:

Posted Image

Hey what happened to the Saloon we talked about?

#74 Astraeos

Astraeos

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 666 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

hamburgler mvp~

that or make it like old school mafia themed... and yes jackalopes... more freakin jackalopes... mafia jackalopes!

#75 Mayhem

Mayhem

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:29 PM

Lol Ok im from Texas,

Is this an American Themed map or a Texas Themed Map?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users