Bring back polying in town - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * - - - 12 votes

Bring back polying in town

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#26 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

Xellie, fun-gineer this back ingame plz!

;)

/harrasses GMs

#27 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

just enable it and put in like some power chord effect in towns so priests can ress for free

This is a nice idea. Especially considering merchants caught in the crossfire were almost always ress'd once things cleared out.

#28 morphine

morphine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1123 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:14 AM

I think the one thing people always seem to overlook is that the players on iRO have no concept of things like restraint or moderation. It's not like people will murder Pront's population once or twice a month.

IMO, I think having some designated places where it's allowed would be fun, but the towns, especially the main towns, shouldn't really be part of it.

#29 igozuvi

igozuvi

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 657 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Gurlz
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

I'd rather have dead players able to continue vending; destroying a town of people was half the fun.

#30 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

yeah, but lets be real about it. =/

You know that probably won't / can't happen - otherwise it'd be awesome

#31 igozuvi

igozuvi

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 657 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

I recall Heimdallr discussing its possibility, but I don't remember when/where/feel like searching for it.

#32 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:42 PM

Maybe oda or heim can clarify that a bit then

#33 shurareki

shurareki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Server:valk

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

we have become a community of children asking for a lollipop getting said lollipop smashing it to the ground and then asking for a larger better one.

#34 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10262 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:42 PM

Possible to make certain towns polyable during events and such, I doubt if Prontera or the eden group would be viable due to the large numbers of players AFKing or vending there. I'd like to do a "give x number of items to NPC to spawn y numbers of monsters.

Personally, if mobs were able to properly fight each other I would have a kind of tower defense style event where players try to overwhelm the other team's castle guardians with large numbers of monsters.

#35 shurareki

shurareki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

Possible to make certain towns polyable during events and such, I doubt if Prontera or the eden group would be viable due to the large numbers of players AFKing or vending there. I'd like to do a "give x number of items to NPC to spawn y numbers of monsters.

Personally, if mobs were able to properly fight each other I would have a kind of tower defense style event where players try to overwhelm the other team's castle guardians with large numbers of monsters.

That would be awesome

Hey i just thought of something how about a Halloween event like summon zombie scrolls that drop from pumpkring and then have like a little map where people can summon there zombies to fight one another call it like necromancer mode... LOL

#36 peeweehonda

peeweehonda

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

It's fun and you don't lose exp. I wish we could summon mushrooms in town and poly it up like the old days.

yes bring back pollying but with a twist. instead of the person dieing make it so the one that polys the monster to die

#37 Hanfeizi

Hanfeizi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

Back in the days, we used to have fun triggering biolab monsters to fight each other when we were bored. Generally, a sniper's trap would hurt another bio monster, leading to a smackdown. You can also trigger that effect in Ein mines. It will take some tweaking, but I think the mechanics is there already.

#38 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

yes bring back pollying but with a twist. instead of the person dieing make it so the one that polys the monster to die

The person doing the polying often would end up dead.

Not that it mattered.. Seeing as it was generally in town.

#39 shurareki

shurareki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

yeah i saw that in ein too.

has a feeling this is going to lead to underground monster fight gambling or pokemon... ragnamon!

Raydric uses bash
its super effective!

#40 Hanfeizi

Hanfeizi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

The person doing the polying often would end up dead.

Not that it mattered.. Seeing as it was generally in town.

HP Sages > Poly. You haven't played RO till you saw 5 MVPs jumped on your ass when you were respawning.

At this point, I'll take poly though.

#41 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

NO

#42 Hanfeizi

Hanfeizi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

yeah i saw that in ein too.

has a feeling this is going to lead to underground monster fight gambling or pokemon... ragnamon!

Raydric uses bash
its super effective!

It will be Comodo's most popular attraction.

#43 Krispin

Krispin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:18 PM

b-bBUT WHAT ABOUT THE MONSTERS
WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE MONSTERS
helenlovejoy.jpg

#44 KataiKou

KataiKou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

Man, I really want Hocus Pocus back. Even if they take out MVPs altogether from the spell, I would love to run around spamming that spell. I wish there wasn't that irreducible gem cost on the thing, though.

Edited by KataiKou, 11 October 2011 - 03:24 PM.

#45 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

HP Sages > Poly. You haven't played RO till you saw 5 MVPs jumped on your ass when you were respawning.

At this point, I'll take poly though.

HP had pretty low rates but, yes, the diligent could make quite a mess with it.

Though, regarding MVPs and random monsters in town, the old invasion events were the best for those. I actually recruited a good friend to RO during one of the old Halloween events where invasions would periodically occur throughout the day. Having him call me to ask why he got steamrolled in town by "a bunch of little black demons, some goats, and a huge guy with a skull face" is still one of my fondest RO memories. He was also able to laugh it off.

#46 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:39 PM

In my opinion Polying in towns was always a stupid idea. What good purpose did it ever serve, besides people mobbing other players with monsters for the joy of seeing all the venders die. That was all people ever did with it. Mob trained in towns. Justified by the fact that you don't lose exp.
What it did was frustrate people who didn't get to sell their items due to their merchant being incapacitated all night. Scare new players off, and upset them. As they would have to take a walk back to from where they came. It's purely fun based upon a sick sense of enjoyment of massacring the town with monsters. Town invasions serve the same purpose and at least those are GM controlled and don't happen every 3 hours like polying did. If anything have some fun town invasions, where the monsters announce they are coming and players need to defend the gates of each town and protect a certain point on the map. It would be like tower defense, which sounds much much more fun then a bunch of people getting together to drag monsters through the town killing innocent bystanders. ;)

Edited by Maka, 11 October 2011 - 03:41 PM.

#47 igozuvi

igozuvi

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 657 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

Poly sure is a touchy subject (as it always was). I guess there can't be a compromise.

#48 Akami

Akami

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1121 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

I used to lol so hard when I could see a swath carved through the vending shops because someone poly'd a Frus or something of equivalent ass-kickery.

#49 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:08 PM

In my opinion Polying in towns was always a stupid idea. What good purpose did it ever serve, besides people mobbing other players with monsters for the joy of seeing all the venders die. That was all people ever did with it. Mob trained in towns. Justified by the fact that you don't lose exp.
What it did was frustrate people who didn't get to sell their items due to their merchant being incapacitated all night. Scare new players off, and upset them. As they would have to take a walk back to from where they came. It's purely fun based upon a sick sense of enjoyment of massacring the town with monsters. Town invasions serve the same purpose and at least those are GM controlled and don't happen every 3 hours like polying did. If anything have some fun town invasions, where the monsters announce they are coming and players need to defend the gates of each town and protect a certain point on the map. It would be like tower defense, which sounds much much more fun then a bunch of people getting together to drag monsters through the town killing innocent bystanders. ;)

I suppose if you didn't read that people were talking about ways to have polying and not kill venders being mad at the topic would be justified.

#50 eerie

eerie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • Server:RIP: Valkyrie

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:15 PM

If polying were to be brought back in towns... Why not simply make it available in buildings only? Which is a slight yet reasonable compromise? People get their kicks/have fun, and vendors/etc remain happy.

Edited by eerie, 11 October 2011 - 11:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users