International Ragnarok Online - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

International Ragnarok Online

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#26 Rafa07

Rafa07

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 909 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Valkyrie/Classic

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

You're saying everyone? xD

lool, wrong value, i mean 5.2b

1- International doesn't mean American or English language.
2- English isn't the international language. There's no such thing.
3- Two people that share the same mother language would want to speak in that language, not English.

View PostErelen, on 14 January 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:
I don't see a problem with only English language. I quited euRO because couldn't get any answer from French based people, as I don't know French. Also it would be really hard for iRO to implement all foreign languages. Even with help of Wiki, it would take many of days to do something like this. So English based server is in my opinion the best choice.
Wouldn't you like to speak Polish in-game properly with your Polish friends? I sepak Spanish with my guild, it would be unnatural for me to speak English with guildmates or Spanish speaking friends, even with Brazilians.

View PostcandyZ, on 14 January 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:
who can't read english nowadays -_- :blah:
Many people. Many people from Spain, Chile, Argentina, Italy, France, etc, can't read English.

I the last 6 years i play ragnarok with alot of brazilian ppl and only 4 of them can read/speak english

Edited by Rafa07, 14 January 2012 - 08:29 AM.

#27 Agahim

Agahim

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1036 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

ragnarok is the reason i never write umlauts (öäü) even when chatting with germans.
i kinda developed my typing habits when i was a teenager of 15-16 and that was the time when i played RO all day.

umlauts should be allowed though, there's even one in the game title "ragnarök online"

Edited by Agahim, 14 January 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#28 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
  • Server:Chaos -> Ymir -> Chaos

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

ok ok for ppl who tlk about understanding english, i didnt mean it like some ppl cant understand english, and I deff doesnt mean USA :blah:, i was js would be nice that
it would support other text thats all. im not demanding for it either, i was just expressing an opinion

#29 Ririna

Ririna

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationUruguay
  • Server:Valkyrie/Ymir

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

ok ok for ppl who tlk about understanding english, i didnt mean it like some ppl cant understand english, and I deff doesnt mean USA :blah:, i was js would be nice that
it would support other text thats all. im not demanding for it either, i was just expressing an opinion

Yo jugaba en una guild hispana, sé muy bien lo que se sufre al no poder escribir correctamente -_-

I used to play on Spanish speaking guilds... And I hated not to write properly :P

Edited by Ririna, 14 January 2012 - 09:12 AM.

#30 Macromega40

Macromega40

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • LocationMexico City

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

Yo jugaba en una guild hispana, sé muy bien lo que se sufre al no poder escribir correctamente :blah:

I used to play on Spanish speaking guilds... And I hated not to write properly -_-

Se bien lo que se siente.... uno esta tan acostumbrado a escribir con todas las letras de nuestro alfabeto, y no poder decir siquiera "hasta el otro día" es algo....

I know how it feels... one is so used to write with all the letters of our alphabet, and don't being able to say "see you tomorrow" is something....

#31 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

i kinda forgot how to spell alot of stuff in spanish, but i still remember enough to speak it fluently xD

#32 MasterKnshn

MasterKnshn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Server:Old Loki

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

My 2cents is to allow more languages in the chat filter, but obviously not in the character creation.

Boom problem solved.

#33 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

i woldnt mind if they charged as long as its not more than a dollar lol

#34 iZola

iZola

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

Basically every bit of spanish I know, comes from RO. I used to play somewhere you can use the ñ's and ó's.
I quit for a long time, so my spanish got rusty. I've been dying to recover it, but it's hard here. /pif
They should at least enable accentuation on chat, I always try to type properly.
And with that habit that supposedly is good, it's annoying to have to re-read your whole phrase again because of an annoying filter.
RO is one of the best places to learn foreign languages while fun, I'm having a hard time teaching a friend my language in-game. >_>

#35 NiteWolfX13

NiteWolfX13

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

So, say iRO allowed foreign languages in game. I think it's a neat concept too. But, with all these other languages floating around, we'd need GM's to support them as well.. Otherwise, if User X cannot understand a lick of English and is seeking support via Warp Portal for example, he's going to have one hell of time. I don't think they'd stick around very long as language barriers can be very frustrating.

#36 lainee

lainee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 729 posts
  • LocationOceanic Eternity
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

In relation to using other languages

CM Calanor

Languages.

• We understand that our community is not made up of only English speaking gamers, heck our office has a number of languages that is spoken, many which I don't and our support team doesn't always understand. We offer English only support, we supply our web content, the games, and our support tools in English only so this is also expected for the Forums.
  • We will try to give as much support as we can and know that native languages are easier at times to use when dealing with technical explanations. Threads not in English that are outside of the Technical Support sections will be locked / removed*. This isn't because we don't like you, it's because we don't understand you and will try to help you with support questions but the games we publish are for English speaking players and do expect that you understand enough English to play the games and participate in the community forums in English as well.
  • Our support team at times has individuals who can offer specific language support, but not all of us can so we ask that you post in English and do your best to post in both English and your native language for Technical Support posts.

http://forums.warppo...be-posted-here/

Edited by lainee, 14 January 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#37 iZola

iZola

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

So, say iRO allowed foreign languages in game. I think it's a neat concept too. But, with all these other languages floating around, we'd need GM's to support them as well.. Otherwise, if User X cannot understand a lick of English and is seeking support via Warp Portal for example, he's going to have one hell of time. I don't think they'd stick around very long as language barriers can be very frustrating.

We already have that problem, there are some players who either ask for friends to help with support or don't get support at all. xD
They could just keep offering us their services in english as it always has been, and allow us to use those characters that have minor differences, at least. :blah:

#38 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

Seems like many aren't aware that licensing agreements also cover translations and language support.
I found this out when trying to
get a price estimate for licensing a certain manga/anime series from their marketing company. I shall
explain for you guys.

When a company agrees to license a creative work, aside from the usual stuff we expect these sorts of agreements
to include, they usual include a clause about translations. Many companies will charge for each language separately.
If an entity buying the licenses doesn't want to pay for the rights to spanish, french, etc. those rights
can be sold to another company and often are. Some companies won't resell rights that have already been sold,
other companies don't give a f--k and don't keep up with what rights was granted to whom and when (The macross/robotech fiasco for those familiar with the industry).

It's very likely that gravity USA has the rights to host in english and only in english.
Which means if we started to support say spanish, bRO could sue for copyright infringement on their authorized
translations among other things.

#39 Macromega40

Macromega40

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • LocationMexico City

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

We aren´t asking to have a translation of the game, or support in other lenguages, we are asking to allow non english characters in the chat.

#40 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

umm the fact people can't use those characters in game chat doesn't PREVENT them from speaking in their mother tongue, it just hinders them, but they still do it.

So whats the point gravity? Just let them talk and let me flip tables.

#41 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

why is everyone getting so mad lol i was just asking if it was possible... :X

#42 Ririna

Ririna

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationUruguay

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

It's possible, just they don't want to.

Edited by Ririna, 14 January 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#43 lainee

lainee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 729 posts
  • LocationOceanic Eternity
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

I think the other reason is this. If you have the client set to be able to input any character set, the net result would be guilds and social circles totally based upon ethicity, region and language spoken. iRO would then not be iRO, it would become nRO - 'nationalist' RO. That would kind of suck to be honest. People would just stick to their 'own' (trust me and go check out some pservers if you don't think this would happen) and not be part of the larger community. This would be a shame, because in the 9 years or so that I have been playing this game on 2 of the official English language servers (iRO and oRO), I've learned to curse, utter wonderfully vile obscenities and even learned to say 'hello' in a variety of languages, just because I've been lucky enough to be in some very diverse guilds made up of players from many different cultures.

#44 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

Considering how badly they translate things into English at times do you really want them to translate into other languages?

#45 thomascgty

thomascgty

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, CA
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

Seems like many aren't aware that licensing agreements also cover translations and language support.
I found this out when trying to
get a price estimate for licensing a certain manga/anime series from their marketing company. I shall
explain for you guys.

When a company agrees to license a creative work, aside from the usual stuff we expect these sorts of agreements
to include, they usual include a clause about translations. Many companies will charge for each language separately.
If an entity buying the licenses doesn't want to pay for the rights to spanish, french, etc. those rights
can be sold to another company and often are. Some companies won't resell rights that have already been sold,
other companies don't give a f--k and don't keep up with what rights was granted to whom and when (The macross/robotech fiasco for those familiar with the industry).

It's very likely that gravity USA has the rights to host in english and only in english.
Which means if we started to support say spanish, bRO could sue for copyright infringement on their authorized

This is very like the reason of English only language in iRO. Having or allowing translations or input of foreign language characters in the game would defeat the purpose of having regional official servers like jRO, pRO, bRO, kRO, etc.

#46 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

I think the other reason is this. If you have the client set to be able to input any character set, the net result would be guilds and social circles totally based upon ethicity, region and language spoken. iRO would then not be iRO, it would become nRO - 'nationalist' RO. That would kind of suck to be honest. People would just stick to their 'own' (trust me and go check out some pservers if you don't think this would happen) and not be part of the larger community. This would be a shame, because in the 9 years or so that I have been playing this game on 2 of the official English language servers (iRO and oRO), I've learned to curse, utter wonderfully vile obscenities and even learned to say 'hello' in a variety of languages, just because I've been lucky enough to be in some very diverse guilds made up of players from many different cultures.

they kinda already do that anyways, and allowing other text wouldnt exactly mean RO would split, if they rly wanted to do that they wouldve done it already

#47 MasterKnshn

MasterKnshn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Server:Old Loki

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

umm the fact people can't use those characters in game chat doesn't PREVENT them from speaking in their mother tongue, it just hinders them, but they still do it.

So whats the point gravity? Just let them talk and let me flip tables.

ITS LIKE YOU KNEW WHY I WANTED THIS!

#48 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

How the heck does the fact that everything is in english relate to special characters being disabled?

Are we asking for game text translations and support in other languages or what? Geez.

People just want to chat in a game that's essentially a fancy messenger with boring gameplay, but gravity is just too lazy to change some bit of data. How surprising.

And as pointed out, the damn game is called
Ragnarök Online. :blah:

Edited by Charon, 15 January 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#49 TsukishiroSayuki

TsukishiroSayuki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • LocationRune Midgard

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:19 AM

If they started support spanish, bRO wouldn't give a :blah:.
The bRO means BRASIL RO.
BRASIL main language is not Spanish, where never Spanish and never will be Spanish![and no joke to never say never!]
Some US people have that idiotic thinking we talk spanish sigh.
We speak Portuguese, and not from portugal, brazilian portuguese.

the net result would be guilds and social circles totally based upon ethicity, region and language spoken. iRO would then not be iRO, it would become nRO - 'nationalist' RO.

we already there, people of the same contry stick together mostly, this is natural, they undestand you more then foreigner.

Back to the topic, we not asking to translate anything, just asking to add those cool other language characters ingame chat XD

Edited by TsukishiroSayuki, 15 January 2012 - 06:22 AM.

#50 Ririna

Ririna

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationUruguay

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

Aren't English language guilds based on English language?

Maybe you think that everyone should speak English and English is the international language. That isn't true. Not everyone speaks English. Even more, many people with a decent level of English would still prefer to play with people that speak the same language. It's not nationalism. There's nothing wrong about a language based guild.

Anyways, we just want to write properly in our mother languages. We aren't asking for support.

Edited by Ririna, 15 January 2012 - 09:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users