International Ragnarok Online - Page 3 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

International Ragnarok Online

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#51 AtlasThunderbeef

AtlasThunderbeef

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

I also get the same prob whenever I try to bring my friends ingame, since most of em cant read romajis and understand english, at time I need to type it in Kanji-Furigana thru MSN (kinda annoying with the msgr lag) or just voice talk w/vent.

Furigana is incredibly annoying because you often need to explain which word you are meaning to use since you can't see the kanji. /fail
It does make for some fun conversations.

#52 Erelen

Erelen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWarsaw, Poland
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

Kanji in that small window? That would be scary. But on second hand, it would be good for me, if there would be possibility to speak with Japanese using kanji.

But coming back to main topic. If they would allow to use kanji wouldn't this "steal" players from jRO. Wouldn't this be a bad thing for Gravity? This same we can say about Portuguese taking players from bRO, Spanish and German from euRO, etc.

Of course that I would love to hear someone trying to say things like "Król Karol kupiÅ? królowej Karolinie...", or at last to knew my name (and to do it in other way than sending an link to wikipedia), but when I downloaded game I knew that this is an American based server, with English as base language (it is reply to question asked by Ririna).

#53 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
  • Server:Chaos -> Ymir -> Chaos

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

Back to the topic, we not asking to translate anything, just asking to add those cool other language characters ingame chat XD

Exactly lol

#54 MasterKnshn

MasterKnshn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Server:Old Loki

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

It isnt a matter of stealing other players from the listed servers, its just being more "internationally" accepted. Besides I know a lot of germans who play iRO instead of any server in Europe.

#55 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

I think the other reason is this. If you have the client set to be able to input any character set, the net result would be guilds and social circles totally based upon ethicity, region and language spoken. iRO would then not be iRO, it would become nRO - 'nationalist' RO. That would kind of suck to be honest. People would just stick to their 'own' (trust me and go check out some pservers if you don't think this would happen) and not be part of the larger community. This would be a shame, because in the 9 years or so that I have been playing this game on 2 of the official English language servers (iRO and oRO), I've learned to curse, utter wonderfully vile obscenities and even learned to say 'hello' in a variety of languages, just because I've been lucky enough to be in some very diverse guilds made up of players from many different cultures.

Like I said, the current client doesn't really stop them anyway.... so that's sorta moot. the majority of guilds communicate on their VOIP servers.

Restrictions or no, there's still group of people (some guilds) that keep their guildchat entirely in spanish/german/tagalog

Which is why this restriction is pointless. It doesn't DO anythin except annoy.

#56 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

i just wanted some character available ;_;

#57 lainee

lainee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 729 posts
  • LocationOceanic Eternity
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

Which is why this restriction is pointless. It doesn't DO anythin except annoy.

Which is I think why it is set this way, to actively discourage to use of non-English language on an English language server.

If you don't have the particular character sets installed, this is what you see and also what you would see in your client.

Posted Image

Also, do we then update the word filter/manners.txt in the grf to include every offensive word from every major language, or do we just block the English words?

#58 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

1326669887[/url]' post='724849']
Which is I think why it is set this way, to actively discourage to use of non-English language on an English language server.

If you don't have the particular character sets installed, this is what you see and also what you would see in your client.

Posted Image

Also, do we then update the word filter/manners.txt in the grf to include every offensive word from every major language, or do we just block the English words?

This is a English server. The word international is used simply because the server is open to anyone who wants to join, but the server is mainly for US and Canada. This is a american based server. Having people speaking other languages would be a problem. Having one universal language being spoken makes then game easy to play and makes it easy for everyone to ask questions and communicate.
Also Ragnarok Online has never been officially spelled with the ö.

#59 Hinkypunk

Hinkypunk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

A few ethical points to consider in addition to those already raised:

• As with most games and online communities, there is no 'freedom of speech' in-game. There is a chat filter for rude/offensive words (which is currently not necessarily English-centric, but more English(US)-centric) and individuals are held accountable (and punished) for subverting that filter to harass others. Currently, individuals using insulting words from other languages have to romanize the term or phrase, but this at least gives others who may not be familiar with that language (i.e. the one being harassed) the ability to passably translate (google, urban dictionary, etc.) what's been said to them and whether or not they should lodge an ill-mannered complaint to the GM team.
  • If all languages were enabled in open chat, it would then put the burden of installing every supported character set on every single player if they want to see more than just blocks/dinbats in their chat window. That's a lot of overhead for the marginal benefit of a few.

#60 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Do people get banned for using foul language in other languages? :blah:

#61 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

read manner.txt and find out for yourself!

#62 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

This is a English server. The word international is used simply because the server is open to anyone who wants to join, but the server is mainly for US and Canada. This is a american based server. Having people speaking other languages would be a problem. Having one universal language being spoken makes then game easy to play and makes it easy for everyone to ask questions and communicate.
Also Ragnarok Online has never been officially spelled with the ö.

I hate people that say this. It's like nobody who plays now played iRO before euRO existed. :blah: Certainly shows that our dear mods lack a little insight into the background history of iRO anyway. So if you're going to say things like this that contradict the experiences of people who have played this server -since it opened-, I'd sure like to see your sources cited.

#63 lainee

lainee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

read manner.txt and find out for yourself!

There is a really funny absence of a certain word in the manners.txt, where they have blocked all variants of that word (that use spaces between the letters etc) but not the actual word itself. lol.

#64 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

but sometimes i type www and it says "i dont think so buddy".... i dont get it lol

#65 lainee

lainee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

I hate people that say this. It's like nobody who plays now played iRO before euRO existed. :blah: Certainly shows that our dear mods lack a little insight into the background history of iRO anyway. So if you're going to say things like this that contradict the experiences of people who have played this server -since it opened-, I'd sure like to see your sources cited.

I was playing back then and tried to give a little insight into the iRO/euRO split that took place at the time in post 11. It was at that point when iRO basically became an English language only server and International only in name.

#66 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

There is a really funny absence of a certain word in the manners.txt, where they have blocked all variants of that word (that use spaces between the letters etc) but not the actual word itself. lol.

They removed the word some time ago for who knows what reason and many many hours were spent in guildchat using said word.

And funny, I find that to be the most offensive word out there.... Even I don't use it. And Troopers swear like I do.

#67 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

I was playing back then and tried to give a little insight into the iRO/euRO split that took place at the time in post 11. It was at that point when iRO basically became an English language only server and International only in name.

The restrictions were still the same though.

So doesn't that invalidate that as a reason? Even when iRO was actually international....

#68 lainee

lainee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

but sometimes i type www and it says "i dont think so buddy".... i dont get it lol

That's not blocked anymore in the current manners.txt. It was to prevent gold sellers spamming web page addresses.

#69 Hinkypunk

Hinkypunk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

If you'll remember right, it was the creation of euRO (et al. regional servers) that marked the shift of iRO from International to North American RO.

#70 Susan

Susan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1024 posts
  • Server:ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

If you'll remember right, it was the creation of euRO (et al. regional servers) that marked the shift of iRO from International to North American RO.

yah i remember.
the fine way this change was introduced was,
whenever some european iRo Player said something, the answer was "gtfo and play on Euro"

#71 Hinkypunk

Hinkypunk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

yah i remember.
the fine way this change was introduced was,
whenever some european iRo Player said something, the answer was "gtfo and play on Euro"

What's kind of amusing is that after the iRO/euRO split, I thought I'd track down some friends who transferred, so I registered for euRO and was then banned a week later due to my IP address being outside of the EU. Talk about GTFO! :blah:

Edited by Hinkypunk, 15 January 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#72 lainee

lainee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

Yep and the ones that were created about this time outside of the east Asian market, were - euRO in 2004, oRO (Oceania) in 2004, inRO (India) 2004, bRO (Brazil) in 2005, ROh (Spanish speaking RO www.rohispano.com) in 2006 etc. Only bRO actually survived. lol

#73 Ririna

Ririna

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationUruguay
  • Server:Valkyrie/Ymir

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:41 PM

If this isn't an international server, it should be renamed to naRO (North American), usRO (USA) or enRO (English language).

If the server claims to be international, it should allow non-English characters and other languages. Many games allow non-English language, and they don't claim to be international (e.g. North American realms in WoW).

BTW, we'll keep speaking in our languages. it's unnatural for me to speak English with another Spanish speaker, for example. A Filipino or German would say the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users