Wingcovers

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

While I know this will, in all probability, NEVER happen, I just have to say --------- Can I PLEASE have some female sprite designs that ACTUALLY wear some professional combat attire? Like... you know... much much more than bits of cloth and metal underwear?

I loved rolling my fem Crusader, only to realize that most of my clothes seemed to fall off along the way as I moved up the ranks. Last I checked, sports bras and chastity belts weren't classified as standard issue armor.

Edit: This just says it all for me - right here. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTGh0EMmMC8

Edit 2: A little idea just dawned on me that MIGHT actually be realistic for future development. :lamb: (Still very unlikely, but not improbable nonetheless) What if the sprites were organized into a system of upgrades similar to the Eden armor upgrades, only in regards to fashion?

For a simplified hypothetical example:

NPC: Oh you're ready to upgrade to a Paladin/Royal Guard! Congratulations! As a small recognition of your new rank, you're free to choose some new armor! (Paladin/Royal Guard Sprite design) Of course, you may choose to remain in your current attire if you wish, (Crusader Sprite design) but you are welcome to upgrade at this time.

ME: I'll keep my clothes on, but thanks though! *walks away* :D

This is of course very exaggerated, lol, but I don't feel the concept is unbelievable. That way no one would have to suffer engineering countless new sprite gear/costumes and people would just be left with the simple option to choose between their own class looks once they become available. It could provide a healthy feeling of choice/customization without impeding the system, while at the same time giving people access to their personal preferences.

Yes? No? :thumb:

Edited by Wingcovers, 16 February 2012 - 01:52 AM.

#2 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

This is a Korean MMO, decent clothes do not exist for women.

#3 morakdais

morakdais

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

Make an AB she has plenty of clothes on

#4 Wingcovers

Wingcovers

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

Make an AB she has plenty of clothes on

If by AB you mean Arch Bishop, the front of her dress looks like it was torn off up to her underwear like a paper towel dispenser.

#5 amicable

amicable

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Server:Ygg

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

crusaders were fine until trans, i really liked their full armour.

and i'm pretty sure ro was still being developed in korea back then as well

not something that we can change but yeah, decided not to start a new crusader (they used to be one of my favourite classes) after renewal 'cause of the dumb trans armour

#6 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

Make a dancer, the paradox is that they gain clothing as they advance ranks o-o

But yus, it is a standard on any MMO that the less clothing a female chara has, means they are heavily armored.

#7 Wingcovers

Wingcovers

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

Aye... I was disappointed really. I thought the female Crusader armor just looked amazing! I wish I could just keep it on into my transcended classes. The Paladin is okay, but still kinda bland. Ergggg..... *clings to Crusader, and her dresser drawers* ;)

#8 Hanfeizi

Hanfeizi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

Man, you should be thankful for not seeing priestess' panties. They had the panties revealed back in the days.

#9 morakdais

morakdais

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

what about my sura? HE IS PRACTICALLY NAKED! I AM OFFENDED!

#10 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:30 AM

I like how some Ragnarok servers prevented female chars from showing too much leg by giving them stockings. It's a little awkward.

#11 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:40 AM

http://madartlab.com...-and-lady-bits/

#12 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

What are you all talking about? Priests have to run around healing everyone in the party. Of course they should wear dresses that allow for agile movement.

#13 AnnoDomini

AnnoDomini

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

Higher level mobs are harder to kill, which translates to more work, and therefore equates to skimpier clothing so that the job is less... taxing.

#14 Mutoh

Mutoh

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

http://madartlab.com/2011/12/14/fantasy-armor-and-lady-bits/

I read the whole thing and i like it, that guy knows what he's talking about.

The thing is, in pretty much all rpg games that i know women are poorly armored for the sexy looks cuz most of the players are males.......thats it. And also the guy drawing the artwork is a perv.

In Ro, the higher tier a female character is the cuter it needs to look, and the only way to make a dancer(only wears a bikini) cuter is to put on her some clothes.

And what about suras? they really gives us this feel:

Spoiler

#15 T3chnowitch

T3chnowitch

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • LocationNiffelheim
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:33 AM

After many, many years of fantasy novels and RPGs, I've pretty much gotten used to unrealistically geared female warriors. It's a male-dominated genre still, which means that the majority of female characters are going to be cute or sexy as opposed to sensibly armored. Thank you, Weiss and Hickman, for throwing right-minded people a bone with Kitiara uth Matar.

#16 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

Make a perma-noobling. Problem solved.

#17 SilX

SilX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

That image is not something I need to see first thing waking up. But yeah, totally agree. Try a Ranger. The females don't look skanky.

#18 mintypudding

mintypudding

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1306 posts
  • Server:Your Mom

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Whoever designed the 3rd class outfits is a ;) idiot. Hurr, underwear everywhere.

#19 mikeberserkr

mikeberserkr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

;)

#20 Dmentd

Dmentd

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIn over my head

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

First of all, thanks to Wingcovers for an interesting thread, and especially to Charon for that excellent link. That being said, RO is fantasy, not reality, so I see no need for more coverage in females' armor from a realistic standpoint. That dog won't hunt. If you're going to go for more realism in the sprites, I think that goes hand-in-hand with more realism in the game, including built-in stat differences based on gender, and I know how popular it would be with people playing female melee types to have reduced damage based on lower upper-body strength, for instance. However, I've always thought--ever since I saw my first dancer--that some of the female sprites were pretty scandalous for what's supposed to be a family-friendly game. I expect some of the girls like it that way, but I don't see why all of them should have to put up with it. On another note, though, I think RO is facing much more important issues than this one. Not to say that something shouldn't be done, just that it's rather far down on what I think should be Gravity's list of priorities.

#21 morphine

morphine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1123 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

Personally, I don't care so much about how much my female character is wearing as I do whether or not the costume is cute or cool-looking. Skimpy outfits just never bothered me as much as ugly ones. o.o

#22 Wingcovers

Wingcovers

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

Yeah. I didn't post this with any realistic expectations of the sprites being changed. Lol. More of a conversation piece than anything. But sigh... I can still indulge in my wishful thinking that someday I'll at least have the option to walk around in more than just my underwear. ;)

I think the trans gear is.. meh at best. Some of them are cute and I'm sure there are girls playing this game (and even more guys) who really like them. Nothing wrong with that.

I just wish I could have the ability to wear more conservative armor if I wanted to. :thumb:

#23 Dmentd

Dmentd

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIn over my head

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

...I just wish I could have the ability to wear more conservative armor if I wanted to...

Personally, I think you should have that choice. Choice of sprites...figure the odds on that coming any time soon.

#24 Fluffylovr

Fluffylovr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • LocationHawaii~
  • Server:Valk

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

That image is not something I need to see first thing waking up. But yeah, totally agree. Try a Ranger. The females don't look skanky.

Actually.. if you zoom in allllll they way.. Female rangers don't zip their shorts. :l

#25 ultra39

ultra39

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

If you're going to go for more realism in the sprites, I think that goes hand-in-hand with more realism in the game, including built-in stat differences based on gender

Like that doesn't already exist between bards and dancers. It's not just job bonuses, but a handful of skills too. And one of those classes is easily the more shafted of the two, and quite possibly one of the most shafted classes in the game...

Back on topic a little bit... I wonder if the GMs could start adding sprites for armor pieces. Nothing to alter the sprite drastically, but add/change a few pieces here and there, kinda like back in Diablo II. Since the new backpack (a garment) adds well... a backpack onto the character sprite, shouldn't it technically be possible to do something like that for the rest of the armor slots? If it works like how displaying the headgears do, I can understand not going back and adding sprites to armors that can be equipped by multiple classes. But adding it to class specific armors like the mora sets would be pretty nifty IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users