Rebuilding Ragnarok Online - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Rebuilding Ragnarok Online

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

With Ragnarok Online 2 on the way, i was thinking maybe it's also time to rebuild and greatly update Ragnarok Online 1.

How can Ragnarok Online 1, be rebuilt so that it is once again a fun and populated to play sprite based game.

Here are some ways I can think this can be achieved.

Update the sprites, and overhaul the engine. It couldn't be that hard to improve upon AEGIS. Let's bring the sprites into the post 2004 era of gaming. Not just the character sprites can be updated but also the 3D zones they inhabit. I think a project of this magnitude is the next step in Ragnarok Onlines renewal process. These visual updates would be a great way to show off the game to a new audience, as marketing is best done visually in this world. I truly believe this will be necessary at some point if this game intends to stay in the marketplace for the next 10 years. Things need to be developed for GM teams as well, such as tools for creating events and manipulating the game in creative new ways. Perhaps some kind of sprite creation tool as well.

RO was introduced in a world where MMO's weren't as commonplace as they are today, and with all the choices out there now, RO needs a dosage of polish so that it will once again shine.

Those are just two opinions of mine, what other ideas can you think of to greatly improve RO? Can RO1 be rebuilt? Or does it need to be knocked down and be remade?

Edited by Maka, 28 February 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#2 Randomititiy

Randomititiy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMy warm comfy bed
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:The new one(s)?

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

Well I will just asked why knock it down to remake it?

Personally I don't mind rebuilding but why not just change things without breaking it (seeing as it is pretty broken already)

#3 HayrohsLegacy

HayrohsLegacy

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Location名古屋、Japan
  • Server:Loki Champ & Chaos RG

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

How bout a Pre-Renewal only server? -_-

#4 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

Graphics overhaul won't help on anything.

The problem is the game balance, and the slowness of updates.

#5 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

I think these kind of discussions should focus on what is actually possible -_-

No offense maka.

#6 Randomititiy

Randomititiy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

I think these kind of discussions should focus on what is actually possible -_-

Well by definition this is possible but unlikely to happen

#7 FiskBlack

FiskBlack

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationMexico, Campeche
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

New servers with pre-renewal mechanics? I think that idea is more possible.

#8 Akami

Akami

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1121 posts
  • LocationHell
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Allow me to be the voice of reality.

*ahem*

"kRO will say no. They decide everything and don't give a damn what the other international branches of Gravity want."

#9 Niji

Niji

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2701 posts
  • Locationhell
  • Server:classic!!

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

How bout a Pre-Renewal only server? -_-

i'm there lets go!!!!

#10 WetWaffle

WetWaffle

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

Just something I dug up from about a year ago, You guys mite or mite not know about it. Also, I dont know if this is accepted posting it here on official Ragnarok forums but here goes...

http://www.mmocultur...-return-of.html

I think the idea didnt blossom like I hoped as I've heard nothing of it. But maybe somehow overhauling the game to be a little something like this would be cool.

#11 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

Only the person who originally developed the coding for RO would be able to help rebuild it from the ground up. None of the current developers at kRO are of the original team...I think. So all they're doing is building/updating upon an old design that was made years ago. Even they wouldn't know how to build it from the ground up unless we get the original creator to help.

Reading the article posted by WetWaffle makes me think Han is trying to make enough money to buy RO's shares or something? That'd possibly mean saving RO as we know it if he does pick it up again.

Edited by GuardianTK, 28 February 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#12 Niji

Niji

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2701 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

Only the person who originally developed the coding for RO would be able to help rebuild it from the ground up. None of the current developers at kRO are of the original team...I think. So all they're doing is building/updating upon an old design that was made years ago. Even they wouldn't know how to build it from the ground up unless we get the original creator to help.

Reading the article posted by WetWaffle makes me think Han is trying to make enough money to buy RO's shares or something? That'd possibly mean saving RO as we know it if he does pick it up again.

well if he is trying to do that we can all hope he gets it because as it stands i think he is the only person that cares about this game. well besides us cause god knows kRO dosn't care at all.

#13 Shiroi17

Shiroi17

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

I'm sure you never worked in the gaming industry Maka for saying it wouldn't be that much work but what you are asking for is a completely new game. It'd take over a year to do what you ask and with how the market work, the new customers wouldn't be enough to compensate the production costs.

Which is why it's not happening.

If you want to rebuild a RO-like experience, your best bet is to make your own game, it's the only way it'll happen. You'll need a lot of money/time/friends willing to work for free to do so.

#14 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

well if he is trying to do that we can all hope he gets it because as it stands i think he is the only person that cares about this game. well besides us cause god knows kRO dosn't care at all.

I'm sure kRO cares too, but for other reason$.

Anyways, even if the kRO devs do care, I don't think they know what they're doing at all.

Edited by GuardianTK, 28 February 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#15 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

Well by definition this is possible but unlikely to happen

Extremely unlikely as the labor and development costs would be in the millions of dollars, and only try to add players to an existing franchise? Generally not worth doing for a well afloat company much less one that just invested millions on RO2 only to have it flop twice.

#16 Shiroi17

Shiroi17

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Extremely unlikely as the labor and development costs would be in the millions of dollars, and only try to add players to an existing franchise? Generally not worth doing for a well afloat company much less one that just invested millions on RO2 only to have it flop twice.

Spot on, I don't know what will happen to Gravity but after RO2 they will probably be bought by a bigger company. I can't see any investor willing to give them money anymore.

#17 Niji

Niji

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2701 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

o.0 it flopped this time too gtfo hahahaha it looked kinda stupid and they got rid of my merchant that made me not want to play but i didn't know they called it a flop again hahaha

#18 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

Many older games have updated their engines and revamped their graphics. It's not a impossible thing to do, just would require a great amount of effort. AEGIS is a very basic engine which is why I said its easy for it to be improved upon.

#19 Randomititiy

Randomititiy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

Doing a sprite overhaul on a 10 year old game would be a nightmare. And not profitable at all.

-looks at Runescape-

Yes not profitable in the least

#20 Randomititiy

Randomititiy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

As far as I know runescape uses 3d graphics, not sprites...

Drawing individual sprites is an extremely tedious and time consuming method of approaching graphics design.

Classic version was sprite made it wasn't 3rd and then they added 3d later on

#21 Riakuta

Riakuta

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4153 posts
  • LocationNeed to Know
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

Here's a suggestion. CLEAR THE VENDERS OUT OF EDEN. Give them like a seperate room in Eden so we can actually move. I think that would pretty much be a rebuilt RO.

#22 Shiroi17

Shiroi17

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

Many older games have updated their engines and revamped their graphics. It's not a impossible thing to do, just would require a great amount of effort. AEGIS is a very basic engine which is why I said its easy for it to be improved upon.

The thing is, it's a lot of work regardless. If they want to "re-release" RO1, they have TONS but really TONS of bugs to fix, balance, remove all text-input based quest crap, item description being wrong/inconsistent. On top of all that it needs a graphic overhaul, a new engine, because this one is broken and there are huge design flaws in it.

After 1 year of work for a team of maybe 50 individuals, that's nearly 30 million dollars.
Do you think about 1000 new users max will be able to cover nearly 30 million dollars? They would need to spend 5000$ each on the game during their life time, I doubt they will be playing for 30 years.

They can't afford another flop, they probably can't afford the flop that RO2-2 is currently.

#23 KataiKou

KataiKou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

We're extremely limited in the kind of things we can do to the overall game. Balance is such a huge deal, but KRO won't have any of it. Right now, the content of the game is very... shallow. The reasons to log on each day is very obvious, and the reasons to stay on each day is nonexistent.

Here's the thing. I feel like there's a lot we can do from within the system with a bit of ingenuity and creativity. I would love to get into the NPC scripting and see what we can and cannot do.

Here's one thing I want to add to the system. Serverwide faction system. Separate from the Guild setup, we can set up Factions that are controlled by NPCs. Here's the phenomena I've been seeing with the Angel vs Devil quest. People who don't know each other are working together for a common reward. While most people are annoyed by the presence of other players in general (damn people taking up my mobs), people are walking past each other in dungeon maps saying "Hi fellow Sunglasses bearer!!!" and actually coordinate and help each other out in hunting these stupid angel things. Suddenly you have an allegiance to people you never met, on a scale much larger than Guilds.

I think the appeal is different than that of a guild. You have two types of guilds, high activity and low activity. High activity are usually MVP, ET, or WOE guild. There's pressure to keep up with the rest of the guildmates, and to participate regularly or risk getting kicked out of the guild. Even as such, rewards for participating benefit the guild, but not necessarily the individual. Low activity guilds don't really accomplish much of anything other than having another chat channel to talk to friends and junk. Occasionally they hunt an MVP, but only when people are coincidentally on at the same time.

A faction would be a nice medium between there, and maybe something completely different. There's no pressure to participate in anything, because no one has the power to kick you out of the faction, but there are personal rewards for helping the guild. It's an excuse for people to play together often without adding in the extra "obligation and responsibilities" of being in a highly active WOE guild.

I say we continue this tend, and make factions permanent. Have costume items that are clear indicators of which faction you belong to, and run Faction vs Faction style events through the NPCs. Offer minor bonuses to factions with the lowest member count to encourage people to join the smaller factions (small exp bonus or something would suffice), while offering rewards and consolation prizes for all people who participate in faction events.

Edited by KataiKou, 28 February 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#24 Randomititiy

Randomititiy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

I would love to get into the NPC scripting and see what we can and cannot do.

Don't do it chose a different game to NPC script. eAthenia

As for everything else you posted I do actually like and it would be nice

#25 Shiroi17

Shiroi17

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

-looks at Runescape-

Yes not profitable in the least

Runescape has about 2.8 million users with 120k players online at once.
kRO don't even have 10k players online.

The difference between Runescape and RO is huge when it comes to development profit.

Edited by Shiroi17, 28 February 2012 - 12:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users