Rebuilding Ragnarok Online - Page 2 - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Rebuilding Ragnarok Online

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#26 Akin

Akin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Update the sprites, and overhaul the engine. It couldn't be that hard to improve upon AEGIS. Let's bring the sprites into the post 2004 era of gaming. Not just the character sprites can be updated but also the 3D zones they inhabit. I think a project of this magnitude is the next step in Ragnarok Onlines renewal process. These visual updates would be a great way to show off the game to a new audience, as marketing is best done visually in this world. I truly believe this will be necessary at some point if this game intends to stay in the marketplace for the next 10 years. Things need to be developed for GM teams as well, such as tools for creating events and manipulating the game in creative new ways. Perhaps some kind of sprite creation tool as well.

This is actually what I thought of when I first heard the term "RO Renewal" muttered from kRO around 3 years ago now. But it turned out to just be a pretty large content update. I think if they were serious about the longevity of RO 1 they wouldn't have re-started the development on RO 2 after it flopped the first time and put work into that instead.

The worst part is that it took about 2 years to complete Renewal, but they really didn't accomplish much. A dedicated studio could have remade a game of RO 1's complexity, from scratch, in the time it took kRO to finish Renewal.

#27 Randomititiy

Randomititiy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMy warm comfy bed
  • Server:The new one(s)?

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

Runescape has about 2.8 million users with 120k players online at once.
kRO don't even have 10k players online.

The difference between Runescape and RO is huge when it comes to development profit.

I think Runescape's user number dropped a month or 2 ago but hey what would I know

But you are right there so can't argue there lol

#28 KataiKou

KataiKou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

Don't do it chose a different game to NPC script. eAthenia

As for everything else you posted I do actually like and it would be nice

I'm a programmer by trade. I'd probably have it figured out in a half hour provided I actually get any documentation on it.

#29 Shiroi17

Shiroi17

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

I think Runescape's user number dropped a month or 2 ago but hey what would I know

But you are right there so can't argue there lol

Yeah I took my stats since the remake of Runescape, what's interesting is, within 4 years they lost ~800k players after the remake. They gained 1 million users the year of the remake.

#30 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

Maybe reducing the client data file size by updating the formats of the files.

Also known as "STOP USING .BMP AND .WAV AS MAIN FORMATS"

#31 Shiroi17

Shiroi17

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

Maybe reducing the client data file size by updating the formats of the files.

Also known as "STOP USING .BMP AND .WAV AS MAIN FORMATS"

Use pink if you want transparency! It's about as good as IE6 >.>

#32 Niji

Niji

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2701 posts
  • Locationhell
  • Server:classic!!

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

but basically the problem being they chose the wrong game to throw their money into and now ro will suffer because of idiots.

#33 Randomititiy

Randomititiy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMy warm comfy bed
  • Server:The new one(s)?

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

I'm a programmer by trade. I'd probably have it figured out in a half hour provided I actually get any documentation on it.

Sadly enough you can get some of the documents from almost any pserver but honestly it is like using Python more then anything else

Yeah I took my stats since the remake of Runescape, what's interesting is, within 4 years they lost ~800k players after the remake. They gained 1 million users the year of the remake.

Got to love how things work sometimes this is probably why I couldn't be a game creator/planner

#34 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

not sure what runescape is, don't know anything about it, don't know anyone who plays it.

#35 iDanii

iDanii

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationColombia
  • Server:Valkyrie ~ Classic

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

I need to tell something about this topic:

NO

I still preffer old RO, i play Renewal because there's no better game (for me). But im completely disagree with modify sprites or make it 3D or something like that.

Maybe simple things could be modified, I mean, listen people! I have been telling it would be really nice to have more cloth colors to choose. Maybe more Costumes, more quests, more cities! expand the map, new ways to move around the word.
But nothing about the scripts! in fact my favorite thing about ro is it, scrips, no meters but cells, NO 3D!~ maybe I'm so old school but i dont like 3D MMORPGS.

on the other hand i have been thinking alot about more jobs, but im not talking about expanded or 4th jobs xD.
Ragnarok should grow in jobs but not doing the Job's tree longer buy wider.

2-3 and 3-3 jobs It would be the best thing gravity could do for ragnarok.

Edited by iDanii, 28 February 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#36 Akin

Akin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

But nothing about the scripts! in fact my favorite thing about ro is it, scrips, no meters but cells, NO 3D!~ maybe I'm so old school but i dont like 3D MMORPGS.

I think you might be confused about the definition of what a script is. No one here is talking about turning RO into a 3D game.

Edited by Akin, 28 February 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#37 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

not sure what runescape is, don't know anything about it, don't know anyone who plays it.

It's a really bad game. If you like slamming your hand into rusty tacks, you should give it a try.
Seriously though, I have never played it, but I think it's a browser rpg and it looks terrible.

#38 iDanii

iDanii

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationColombia
  • Server:Valkyrie ~ Classic

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

I think you might be confused about the definition of what a script is. No one here is talking about turning RO into a 3D game.

That was what i thought between the lines in the first post.

Edited by iDanii, 28 February 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#39 BoingBoing

BoingBoing

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

It's a really bad game. If you like slamming your hand into rusty tacks, you should give it a try.
Seriously though, I have never played it, but I think it's a browser rpg and it looks terrible.

much much bigger ebay market for it though.

#40 Akin

Akin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

That was what i thoutt between the lines in the first post.

Oh, I think Maka was talking about updating the maps in RO which are already in 3D. The newer maps are OK, but a lot of the older maps are very low poly and have low res textures.

#41 Shanden

Shanden

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Server:Valk

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Break away from kRO

/Thread

#42 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts
  • Server:Between Servers

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

The main problem with this game is the terrible balances, and the lack of fun. The sprites are the best part of this game. A huge problem is a new player can spend a month getting to 99, while it is possible for a well endowed player to do that in 1 hour. You can't have discrepancies that massive when you're making a balanced MMO that retains casual players.

Restore the nerfed classes, nerf the broken classes, make people want to pvp. All I've ever heard about PvP is suras sitting around ruining it for everyone who enters. Players come for the main quest, they stay for the pvp. If pvp/woe is all about one shoting each other, new people won't play. That's why everyone hates snipers. Make it combat, not sniping. In dragonsaga, in pvp your hp is multiplied by 10 but you can't use potions.

This game should be playable without a wiki and the forums. It's like doing homework playing this game. New players should be able to ENJOY PVM while players that do their homework should feel they're dominant. Like do auto-stats. Like when you first start, there should be an option for the game to auto allocate your stats, WHICH CAN BE TURNED OFF WHENEVER THE PLAYER CHOOSES. Like if you start a swordsman, past experience would suggest that a WARRIOR would need str and vit, when in RO you should be blowing up AGI. Simple dialogue changes in the training ground, archers are recommended for new players, mention that is advisable to make a merchant at some point. Learning should be done in the game, not at a third party site. Learning should be intuitive. Learn how to card equipment, learn how to use booking, etc. Not be told how, but have a quest where you LEARN how.

Make the game fun. You can polish a car and clean the tires, but that won't stop the transmission from going.

Balance the classes.
Fix how boring PVP/WOE is for new players.
Make the new player experience more intuitive.
Fix this exp discrepancy between new players and vets.

#43 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

1330469168[/url]' post='775132']
Oh, I think Maka was talking about updating the maps in RO which are already in 3D. The newer maps are OK, but a lot of the older maps are very low poly and have low res textures.

I pretty much would like to see HD sprites and and see all the towns get a major 3D upgrade. Note all maps are already 3D, so no I'm not asking for a total game change, just for it to be made prettier and more appealing to new audiences.

#44 jcrocs

jcrocs

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Please, no 3D graphics, I play RO on a crappy toshiba laptop that's like 6 years old lol. It can barely run RO as it is, so I say again, no 3D graphics, PLEASE.

#45 Akin

Akin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:01 AM

Please, no 3D graphics, I play RO on a crappy toshiba laptop that's like 6 years old lol. It can barely run RO as it is, so I say again, no 3D graphics, PLEASE.

I think we already covered this, no one is asking for the character and NPC sprites in RO (which btw are drawn in 3D), to be turned into 3D meshes.

#46 jcrocs

jcrocs

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

It can only handle the 3D sprites then, lol.

#47 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

No offense but, if you can't run RO in 2012, it might be time to get a new pc o.o You could get one exponentially better than that 6 year old one for like pennies. Though it must be older than 6 years. 2006 computing power was more than enough to handle RO.

Edited by Maka, 12 March 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#48 Nakano15

Nakano15

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationBrazil
  • Server:Odin (RE-START)

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:35 AM

With Ragnarok Online 2 on the way, i was thinking maybe it's also time to rebuild and greatly update Ragnarok Online 1.

How can Ragnarok Online 1, be rebuilt so that it is once again a fun and populated to play sprite based game.

Here are some ways I can think this can be achieved.

Update the sprites, and overhaul the engine. It couldn't be that hard to improve upon AEGIS. Let's bring the sprites into the post 2004 era of gaming. Not just the character sprites can be updated but also the 3D zones they inhabit. I think a project of this magnitude is the next step in Ragnarok Onlines renewal process. These visual updates would be a great way to show off the game to a new audience, as marketing is best done visually in this world. I truly believe this will be necessary at some point if this game intends to stay in the marketplace for the next 10 years. Things need to be developed for GM teams as well, such as tools for creating events and manipulating the game in creative new ways. Perhaps some kind of sprite creation tool as well.

RO was introduced in a world where MMO's weren't as commonplace as they are today, and with all the choices out there now, RO needs a dosage of polish so that it will once again shine.

Those are just two opinions of mine, what other ideas can you think of to greatly improve RO? Can RO1 be rebuilt? Or does it need to be knocked down and be remade?

I have my ideas: http://forums.warppo...ns/#entry845444
But...If they make Ragnarok Online be like as the new Ragnarok Online 2(Questing to Level Up),it will be like the existing rpgs.
But maybe any kind of Nation Ruler(new MVP,thougher than the others) is an good idea,with an castle or dungeon to he live at.

#49 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

id like to see some sort of faction system as well... maybe siding with a particular kingdom or island... or even better a good and evil type deal... kinda like the agel devil side event.... make the aura colors different depending on if youre good or evil... i think alot of players could go for this... it wouldnt take much effeort really... just a color change to auras... it would also open up a whole new armor/weapon option... like "Xweapon can only beused by good players" "Xarmor can only be used by evil players" and there could be added damage and reducts based on faction... another thing would be better monster AI... i was talking to a fellow player and we talking about how fun it would be if monsters more than 75 levels below you ran away if you killed one of them on the same screen IE: kill a lunatic and other lunatics on the screen give the OMG emotican and run away from you... obviously looters wouldnt be affected... and more monsters should try running away or calling for help when their hp was really low (like Hellpoodle)... just to add some more dimension to the game...

#50 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

Something else is the camera angle... on certain maps like the one directly north of veins the camera angle is fixed and is at a sever angle vertically... if you then warp to any town you get a new angle where youre basicly on ground level.... this angle should be more available... its kinda cool to actually look around a tree... its kinda like making the game more 3D without having to change the overall look to the game... and it just being an angle option makes it just that "an OPTION" and we all love options... the more options a game has for customization the more people are drawn to it... add more skins for free... add more color options for clothing and how about skin tone? everybody HAS to be white currently... how about like a 5 color skin tone system... from pale to dark... give the people options...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users