Merging both servers - Page 2 - ROSE Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Merging both servers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#26 claw68

claw68

Raider Representative

• Members
  • 866 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

How to handle multiple characters being merged between two servers, to one.

Don't merge it. add the L and D to the account name if they have chars on both.

#27 100002305997764

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

No ty. Hard enough to find good places to lvl/hunt for drops as it is. People camping and so on....

#28 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts
  • Twitter:@LovatianOwl
  • LocationCaves of Owlverick
  • Server:Le' Forumz

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

Farming / Leveing is solved with multiple channels.

The channels issue with qeueing for GA is solved by GA pulling qeues from all channels.

The name issue is resolved with a forced character rename upon log in with a 2 week notice. Fair for everyone.

The clan same name issue is resolved by increasing CM and DM slots and max roster size from 50 to 100. all same name clans would be merged into 1 clan.

Storage would be fairly easy, set up a new storage system with a larger slot count that acts in the same manner as premium. once the item is removed, the slot becomes inactive and has to be put in normal/prem storages.

should I go on?

#29 100002305997764

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:53 PM

Feuer, we had multi chan b4, then they removed them. I doubt theyll put them back.

#30 PureCreativity

PureCreativity

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2164 posts
  • Location--
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

Merging the servers is a delicate issue to approach.

Immediate considerations that will need to be answered.

1. How to handle same character name issues between servers. / Same char name = both chars get a random alphabetic/numeric name or force namechange upon logging in
  2. How to handle same clan name issues between servers ./ Same clan name = both clans get a random alphabetic/numeric name
  3. How to handle multiple characters being merged between two servers, to one. / NA
  4. How to handle overflow of account storage. / Premium Storage 1 - 4 or everycharacter gets 1 -4 + 1 - 4 storage  (not account related but character related)

These are the first questions. Then you get questions like

• Should one server take priority over the other (for same name issues). / No server takes priority
  • If so, which server gets priority? / None, Create a new server (which also starts with a new economy ofcourse)
  • Is that fair to that server and not the other? / No, because you create a new one, fresh economy start for everyone
  • Is there a way to sustain both somehow? / There is no need once you create a new server (merged into a new one)
  • Will storage overflow be possible for merging two account storage inventory. / NA

And many, many more issues involved with merging characters, clans, items, anything that might be unique to the server.

You may want to give it some thought, because we have and aren't too happy with the idea and the time it will take to implement.

Consider whatever answer you might give towards taking one side vs another, you could be on the other side and may not like it happening to you.

You guys want to solve the Economy, creating a new server and merge Leonis + Draconis in the new server will give everyone a new start to fix the economy, since both servers had their own economy they will compete with eachother.

For example:

Leonis server: Piercing Arch +15 100 Dura = 9Billion Zulies

Draconis server: Piercin Arch +15 100 Dura = 1-2Billion Zulies

So they will need to compete with eachother regarding the items prices so they will meet with eachother in the middle.

Edited by djilano, 03 September 2013 - 11:20 PM.

#31 Priested

Priested

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:33 PM

-_- merging GOGO 2 servers!

#32 Xerrah

Xerrah

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationFar Far Away
  • Server:both

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:40 AM

I think the main reason why people are asking for a merge is because of the few people queuing for GAs. The solution for that, I think, though is not a merge but an interserver GA.

#33 PureCreativity

PureCreativity

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2164 posts
  • Location--

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:05 AM

I think the main reason why people are asking for a merge is because of the few people queuing for GAs. The solution for that, I think, though is not a merge but an interserver GA.

No it's not for the GA's it's because we are a small community so why should we have 2 servers? the game looks dead..

#34 zenheartbeats

zenheartbeats

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:37 AM

Do you know what a "server" is? If you're even thinking about doing this then you may as well have already merged the servers.

Also, no.

#35 Castanho

Castanho

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1549 posts
  • LocationGarden of Aru
  • Server:That one

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:09 AM

1. How to handle same character name issues between servers.
    The older server must have priority, then the server wich will "move" inside the older will have their players with a "tag"  [Dns] wich means Draconis in hes names till something better happens.
  2. How to handle same clan name issues between servers.
    People are copying clan names on the same game? The older Clan will have priority, the younger will have a coupon to change it.
  3. How to handle multiple characters being merged between two servers, to one.
    I do not know but I know its possible, already seen this in a game I was playing.
  4. How to handle overflow of account storage.
    Its time and a great idea to turn the storage bigger.

• Should one server take priority over the other (for same name issues).
    Sure, the older one.
  • If so, which server gets priority?
    The older one, so we won't say if Draco is better than Leo,  its just a age priority, like you do with your grandmom.
  • Is that fair to that server and not the other?
    Its better to everyone, a bigger server, increase the economy, the fun, the challenges, and only one "place" where the staff need to take care.
  • Is there a way to sustain both somehow?
    Both Servers? Or do I don't understand this question. The only reason I see to have two servers are something different between then, like exp, drop, or wich is not our case, the first one keep full so we NEED a new server.
  • Will storage overflow be possible for merging two account storage inventory.
    Just turn the storage bigger.

And many, many more issues involved with merging characters, clans, items, anything that might be unique to the server.

You may want to give it some thought, because we have and aren't too happy with the idea and the time it will take to implement.

Consider whatever answer you might give towards taking one side vs another, you could be on the other side and may not like it happening to you.

Sure, it's not so easy to do like saying, but it's possible. It's only an idea. My point of view. I already had this same situation on a server I was playing before and everryone joined the idea at the end, everywhere you go there was players, the economy get balanced but sure, a little unstabilized for a while. About the names, everyone understood there would be good to everyone and have waited a time to found a solution wich everyone joins.

#36 PureCreativity

PureCreativity

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2164 posts
  • Location--

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:13 AM

You should always take the newest server, because it's newer, older things most likely will fall apart or have more isseus, i've seen Leonis go offline way more often than Draconis, but neither should Leonis or Draconis get the priority since discussion like these will occur.

Make a new server, take a year of time but make it happen.

#37 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts
  • Twitter:@LovatianOwl
  • LocationCaves of Owlverick
  • Server:Le' Forumz

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:16 AM

I'm well aware of the old iRose multi channeled servers. i stated it wass removed due to the servers hardware not being able to handle the strain. that coupled with many exploits made it a vulnerable method. with todays tech its much more managable.

#38 metroid89

metroid89

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:48 AM

Item Mall has unlimited storage, so it should be trivial to add overflowing storage items to the Item Mall storage.

Actually merging the databases isn't that hard, it would take about a week to create a tool for it. It's just a question of Is this the right thing to do?

The two communities could clash, players might be unhappy about their 'fixed' name, etc.

An other thought on the duplicated character and clan names:

You could rename them to [L]player and [D]player, and reserve the name 'player' so it can't be created anymore. Then have a coupon that allows either the [L] or  the [D] character to rename back to its original name. First-come, first-served.

Another approach is giving priority to the character that was created first or used most recently.

Edited by metroid89, 04 September 2013 - 04:49 AM.

#39 SirSlayer

SirSlayer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1638 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:56 AM

You could also solve the name change issue by giving rights of the name to the person who created the character with that name first.

#40 Bendersmom

Bendersmom

Cleric Representative

• Members
  • 2000 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:05 AM

1. How to handle same character name issues between servers. First give all on both servers a name change coupon and the chance to change the characters name if they know there is a char with the same name on both servers.  Also make available a clan name coupon and offer that as well.  If people chose to change the names it would be easier.  For those that are not playing at present or do not want to change the names put a symbol in front or the back of the name/clan name.  It does not have to be a specific D or L to label people, a simple ! or something would work maybe.  Something that no player/clan can use in future names.
  2. How to handle same clan name issues between servers. see above
  3. How to handle multiple characters being merged between two servers, to one.  If all have different names, clans and chars, would it be a big problem to move them?  
  4. How to handle overflow of account storage.  Once the database has been upgraded, which I know you all are working on, maybe adding a second storage would not be a huge problem.  I don't see any merge until the database can smoothly handle it.  But when working on the database changes some of this could be kept in mind. 

• Should one server take priority over the other (for same name issues). No, and I think there are ways around making it that way.
  • If so, which server gets priority? Leonis, but in reality neither.  Unless it is easier to make a whole new server and merge all to that one.  Whatever way is easiest.
  • Is that fair to that server and not the other? Life is not fair.  But if it is for the betterment of the game then it is good.
  • Is there a way to sustain both somehow? Once the server merge happens a second channel might need to be made like the old days, if there is a way to add a second channel without allowing dupping, etc. I think people are right and new players see a lot of dead maps while leveling and figure no one really plays the game.  It will make the high level maps really crowded for a bit but should help with retaining new players. 
  • Will storage overflow be possible for merging two account storage inventory. Yes, if you can add to storage then you should be able to add enough space to accommodate a second storage from the other server.

Players have to remember that if the Devs have to take the time to figure all of the specifics out for a merger it takes them away from updates that everyone wants.  After this skill update the Devs had a lot of other things in mind to update.  Some of which were:  update crafter and crafting skills, items, etc., update drop tables, add more maps to Orlo, add new gear and weapons, work on a few of the classes to improve skills (round out the class), work on the database to give us clan skills, clan halls, etc, work on the database to improve storage room, moving things around, etc.  

If the Devs have to prepare for a server merge it could take as long as the skill update took to implement.  And we would have very few other improvements we want.  It might be best to wait for the database changes and hope that the Devs keep the merger as an option when making the improvements.

Also remember that if the servers are merged the high level maps will be way over crowded as will events, etc.  I would much prefer seeing more maps added to Orlo, the drop tables and monsters changed to accommodate more leveling areas, better farming areas, more high level quests, etc to make room for the additional high level chars if there is a merge.  Unless we have 2 channels, but if we have 2 channels then what is the sense of a merge.  2 Channels will thin out the population all over again.  I would make the merge happen, add the high level stuff and advertise the game.  If we get too crowded then add the second channel.  

#41 turnermanxi

turnermanxi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

You could also solve the name change issue by giving rights of the name to the person who created the character with that name first.

Ehhhh the whole name issue is just so pety compared to what wil come out of it all.  People will just have to make a bridge to get over it.

Also, when/if the decision is made, just advertising alone will be bring a huge amount of old players and new players to the server.  It would be a good idea to give some sort of an "gift" or something that excites and catches more peoples eyes when the server comes out.  I mean, players should get a little something out of the wait and frustration the server went through.  It would really get people telling friends, playing more, and getting more excited about the game.

It would just be a really good comeback for rose and it would just make me smile to see a server i played like 9 years ago come back to its original state.  Tbh I wouldn't mind the lag, better than playing with yourself all the time.  Excites me thinking about the possibilities :D.

#42 Valakas

Valakas

Community Member of the Month for April

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • LocationThere! *points somewhere*
  • Server:Draconis & Odin

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

Farming / Leveing is solved with multiple channels.

The channels issue with qeueing for GA is solved by GA pulling qeues from all channels.

The name issue is resolved with a forced character rename upon log in with a 2 week notice. Fair for everyone.

The clan same name issue is resolved by increasing CM and DM slots and max roster size from 50 to 100. all same name clans would be merged into 1 clan.

Storage would be fairly easy, set up a new storage system with a larger slot count that acts in the same manner as premium. once the item is removed, the slot becomes inactive and has to be put in normal/prem storages.

should I go on?

Disagree on the bolded one. 

Different clans have different emblems, ideals and principles. Merging them into one is far from being a solution, let alone an idea. Either an initial [D] or [L] can be added behind each clan's name  eg . CottonCandy[D] & CottonCandy [L] to show origins of each clans. 

#43 Bendersmom

Bendersmom

Cleric Representative

• Members
  • 2000 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

There are a number of reasons people went over to Draconis originally.  Get away from enemies, had a bad rep so started fresh, wanted to start over, the economy of Leo is too high, banned from game so started on Draconis where no one knew them, could head their own clan, make new friends, etc.  It is wrong to assume everyone would be thrilled with the merge.  Some people have really made great clans and groups and are really good at PVP, or well known on Draconis so not everyone might want to make the merge.  And it is wrong to think that just because Leoinis is an older server that a lot of the players on Draconis are all new. There are a lot of beta players on Draconis as well.  

Merging two clans into one is not a good idea.  The Draconis clan might have the same name as the Leonis one but be completely different in make up, ideals, rules, etc.  

I think merging the servers has a lot of pros and cons, but in general for the life of the game I think the merge is something to really work towards someday, but not until the Dev team has the time and energy to really do it right.  And a lot more people have to give input to see what the majority really wants.  As we all know the people of Rose that use Forums is very few.

#44 DigitalKitten

DigitalKitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4996 posts
  • Server:Leonis, Draconis

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

It's a nice idea but will most likely not happen as there has been tons of threads about it (my guess only, sorry for the negative response...)

But to be honest, all the name issues would be a complicated thing to solve, and there's tons of reasons behind why they aren't doing it.
But if I'm not wrong, they're planning on doing more commercial for rose as soon as they add more content.... I've heard a little birdy whisper to me that .. it's the current plan.

Futhermore, rose might get more populated. Besides people get to know eachother better in small communities. It's kinda cosy in that way ~ :ani_meow:

But believe it or not, I do agree that I would like a server merge, because I have friends on both servers =o= lvling up all over again, getting all the gears etc, it would just be so much work!

#45 turnermanxi

turnermanxi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Wow, all it sounds is like a bunch of complaining and selfish reasoning.  The names is pety, your original rep is pety (seriously get over it, this is for the game as awhole to improve.)  Seriously please use your brains people.  Why the heck do you need two freakin servers when the maximum amount of players online at a time between BOTH servers is less than 3 thousands..like really... you're really going to complain about rep and other things that sounds like personal problems with your bs drama.  Pretty sure once the new players come in you can make plenty more friends.  There was a reason for your bad rep's.

Anyways back to the point, the only thing I am seeing out of players and GM's is the lack of motivation and effort to even make this server change.  The skill update was a huge improvement but tbh, for me, it's something that could've waited and bigger issues like server merging, stopping botting, and the lack of events and quest could have been a bigger priority but hey, i'm just one opinion.

Whether the people of the server care or the GM's, you still have to put in SOME effort..

#46 DigitalKitten

DigitalKitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4996 posts
  • Server:Leonis, Draconis

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:35 AM

It's not the fact that the community is egotistic, some of them are, sure. But like I said this thread have been created since... Forever.
And there's always a dev that comes in, says the issue and states the obvious, therefore people gave up on the idea long ago since it's not their priority plan, if a plan at all that is.

#47 InuyashaDraconis

InuyashaDraconis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

Yeah i agree, as i said the name issues WOULD be a problem but in all honesty its a VERY VERY small price to pay for an entirely BETTER rose.

Merging the servers would be chaos at first, the economy WILL go nuts at first with the influx of more items and crafters and such but after a while it WILL stabilize.

The merge would probably bring MORE players to rose online and make it somehwat fun again, with the influx of players from the merge the common lvling spots would be taken thus making people EXPLORE ROSE AGAIN.........

More people for CD and TG, also the new players means more unique character builds to fight in PvP.

The Rose Staff stated before they want people to explore rose and they want people to basically get more out of rose all togeather and this would be the NEXT BEST STEP towards that next to the pegasus update they just had.

#48 dixymen

dixymen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:25 AM

From a technical stand point, merging 2 servers is incredibly easy. The technical issues have been pointed out - duping character names, account names, ID links and so forth. 

Decide which server is the 'main' one, then the other one gets the prefix treatment. I merged 3 game servers together with a fully automated SQL script which took care of all duplicating problems and the process was complete within an hour. Baring in mind that at that time, we (NAROSE and us) had an identical database schema, so it wouldn't me much different now.

I don't know how other things like the GA works here but from a back end perspective, it's really easy. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't have the knowledge.

I'm sure if a private server with more players can do it, then you can too.  :thumb2:

#49 turnermanxi

turnermanxi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:22 AM

It's not the fact that the community is egotistic, some of them are, sure. But like I said this thread have been created since... Forever.
And there's always a dev that comes in, says the issue and states the obvious, therefore people gave up on the idea long ago since it's not their priority plan, if a plan at all that is.

Lol what obvious issue is there that we don't know?  Seriously, it's laziness and their "great plans" to improve the server is what holds everything back and as in great plans i mean what they think they are doing to improve the server.  Sooner or later this server is going to be completely dead and there will be no other choice BUT to go to private servers which are created by players originally from this server who TRIED to help with suggestions and were not heard, so instead, made another server which could possibly become better than the original...sad right?  

Since this is more of a republic, it's up to the developers and admins if the server merges or not since apparently what we say doesn't matter unless it has something to do with making the item mall have more ridiculous items with useless stats and more expensive.  But it's not like some of us have been playing the server before we even hit puberty and have watched the server slowly die from the time it went p2p to now.

Edited by turnermanxi, 05 September 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#50 InuyashaDraconis

InuyashaDraconis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

thats kind of true turner, i mean there was a couple private rose servers with REALLY REALLY cool things sadly they died soon after. Hover cars special mosters more monsters etc...... I think warp portal should start doing stuff like this because in all honesty yeah people are going to start making their own ROSE when they get tired of being ignored.

SOME stuff players get a say in like pegasus but for the most part they decide what goes on, i mean if the majority of the players want something (within reason) do it it will highly make the server better 9/10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users