RWC 2013 Art Contest *Due Nov. 6* - Page 3 - Creative Contraptions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

RWC 2013 Art Contest *Due Nov. 6*

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#51 xaikra

xaikra

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

rwc_2013_by_xaikra-d6t7ofn.png

Forum Name: Xaikra

IG name: Tiashe
Title: RWC 2013 with Bio MVP 3rd Class

Full Res Ver

Edited by xaikra, 05 November 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#52 CharAznable

CharAznable

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • LocationWest Pront
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong, But isn't DPI redundant since the requested size was in pixels?
10 pixels is going to be 10 pixels regardless of the size of the individual pixels.

Isn't this common knowledge?

1920 x 1440 px was requested size for the submission. What we didn't have was original file should have had 300 dpi. so 1920 x 1440 is ratio we're supposed to based off of. so think it as smallest size for the submission. (which is conviniently 6.4x4.8 inch. at 300 dot per inch) good thing to note here is if dpi was 72 with 1920 x 1440, your ratio in inch would be 26 x 20 or something, which will make your printing quality bad(when you shrink the image that has low dpi with high res, sometime it dulls the edge of the image.) so if someone was working on larger inch format, dpi should have set at least 300dpi. it was confusing for iRO from the beginning. I wish there was better communication between the HQ and its branch servers. 

#53 KiyokoHasami

KiyokoHasami

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • LocationRelocated ---->Bio 4
  • Server:Chaos>Valkyrie>New Chaos

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

rwc_2013_by_xaikra-d6t7ofn.png

Forum Name: Xaikra

IG name: Tiashe
Title: RWC 2013 with Bio MVP 3rd Class

Full Res Ver

Wow you made Eremes and Howard look so hot. *_* Nicely detailed! :p_love:

#54 Toxn

Toxn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3511 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

Stop nerfing performer class plsthx

Hahaha_No_Owl.jpg

#55 michaeleeli

michaeleeli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2784 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil/Chaos

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

Name: michaeleeli

Title: Street Ragnarok

TugHyNn.png

Worked so long on this for 3 weeks ;.; but I ran out of time so YA my WL's head and the background were done in like one day t.t They look like they were taken out from paint.exe..Please forgive sob\\\\\

Edited by michaeleeli, 06 November 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#56 Chorvaqueen

Chorvaqueen

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1099 posts
  • LocationMiddle Earth
  • Server:Teyvat

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

oh man that would mean I'll have to redo my entry if they want 300dpi :|

/cries

nvm, found a solution

Edited by Chorvaqueen, 05 November 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#57 MJneko

MJneko

I made it Off Topic

• RO Fungineering
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:21 AM

mjneko-2013rwcsmall.png

-Forum/ingame name:  MJneko

-Name/Title of the artwork: Ready for Anything

Hi-res link

#58 AhinaReyoh

AhinaReyoh

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:31 AM

Full version with logo

Full version without logo

rwcpreview_zpsb774b0f7.jpg

Name: AhinaReyoh

Title: Dynamic Trio

Character Name: Limited Resources

Now to recover what little sleep I have left.

Edited by AhinaReyoh, 08 November 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#59 littlechiyo

littlechiyo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1560 posts
  • Server:Renewal & Classic

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Title: Midnight Magic

Forum/IGN: littlechiyo

Hi-Res: http://oi42.tinypic.com/2ro2av8.jpg

Edited by littlechiyo, 31 July 2014 - 06:39 PM.

#60 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

2m26wx0.jpg

What's the title? 

Also please sound off if you are going to be posting but haven't yet. I'm about ready to start prepping these for transport. 

#61 michaeleeli

michaeleeli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2784 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil/Chaos

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

Woooops hope I wasn't too late adding a title =x

#62 Andini

Andini

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2738 posts
  • LocationNorcal

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

8y71n7.jpg

ign : priestthing

Title: Fantasies

Link: high-res

#63 Zerion

Zerion

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

1920 x 1440 px was requested size for the submission. What we didn't have was original file should have had 300 dpi. so 1920 x 1440 is ratio we're supposed to based off of. so think it as smallest size for the submission. (which is conviniently 6.4x4.8 inch. at 300 dot per inch) good thing to note here is if dpi was 72 with 1920 x 1440, your ratio in inch would be 26 x 20 or something, which will make your printing quality bad(when you shrink the image that has low dpi with high res, sometime it dulls the edge of the image.) so if someone was working on larger inch format, dpi should have set at least 300dpi. it was confusing for iRO from the beginning. I wish there was better communication between the HQ and its branch servers. 

Oh, i'm really not questioning your information relay. I know what you're trying to say, but if you resize that output and force the printing size to fit something, that setting will be overwritten.
a 300dpi 6.4x4.8in and a 3dpi 640x480in image will look the same if printed on an a4. if they contain the same amount of information.
I'm just doubting Gravity's competence. They are a digital media company, they should know this. (Unless i'm wrong.)

What i'm saying is
Once the resolution is already specified in pixels, Dpi/Ppi is meta information that can be changed freely without affecting image quality.

I've worked with multiple image file formats(and animations) and multiple types of printing on different surfaces,
and I've never heard that they affected the edges of the pictures and i would be thankful if you could give a demonstration. It would be very useful for me.

But according to what i know from multiple media courses i've done.
You can freely change DPIs without affecting any of the digital image information whatsoever.
Here is one image at 9999dpi ----- http://puu.sh/5aCsO.jpg
Here is the same picture at 1 dpi ----- http://puu.sh/5aCkb.jpg

Think of it as a a text document . you font size can be 1 or 100px, it can be resized infinitely without any effect the text information.

A "1000 word" essay will contain 1000 words regardless of how many letters there are per page.
And you can change the font without affecting the content.

And unless they want to print it directly from our file, without any sort of image program or reformatting. (Which is absurd)
They really should not be asking for it.

It always raises questions when i hear people asking for this
Do they lack the knowledge, or am I missing something?

PS: Best of luck Oda, Thanks for accepting the files

Edited by Zerion, 06 November 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#64 equisce

equisce

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Locationmexico

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

RWC2013_Withpals.jpg

ign : equisce
Title: with pals
Link: https://dl.dropboxus...wc_WithPals.jpg

Edited by equisce, 06 November 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#65 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

Thank you so much to everyone for submitting! The entries have been sent to Headquarters for their end of the contest. We've been talking to them about making as much clear from the start regarding formats, prizes and such for future contests so we're on the same wavelength. I appreciate the effort and creativity that you all have shown under such a tight deadline. I'll start getting the participation crowns out to people ASAP.

#66 Zerion

Zerion

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

Do we get hugs too? i want hugs!

#67 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

You get e-hugs from my cyber-arms

#68 CharAznable

CharAznable

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • LocationWest Pront
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

Oh, i'm really not questioning your information relay. I know what you're trying to say, but if you resize that output and force the printing size to fit something, that setting will be overwritten.
a 300dpi 6.4x4.8in and a 3dpi 640x480in image will look the same if printed on an a4. if they contain the same amount of information.
I'm just doubting Gravity's competence. They are a digital media company, they should know this. (Unless i'm wrong.)

What i'm saying is
Once the resolution is already specified in pixels, Dpi/Ppi is meta information that can be changed freely without affecting image quality.

I've worked with multiple image file formats(and animations) and multiple types of printing on different surfaces,
and I've never heard that they affected the edges of the pictures and i would be thankful if you could give a demonstration. It would be very useful for me.

But according to what i know from multiple media courses i've done.
You can freely change DPIs without affecting any of the digital image information whatsoever.
Here is one image at 9999dpi ----- http://puu.sh/5aCsO.jpg
Here is the same picture at 1 dpi ----- http://puu.sh/5aCkb.jpg

Think of it as a a text document . you font size can be 1 or 100px, it can be resized infinitely without any effect the text information.
A "1000 word" essay will contain 1000 words regardless of how many letters there are per page.
And you can change the font without affecting the content.

And unless they want to print it directly from our file, without any sort of image program or reformatting. (Which is absurd)
They really should not be asking for it.

It always raises questions when i hear people asking for this
Do they lack the knowledge, or am I missing something?

PS: Best of luck Oda, Thanks for accepting the files

dpi is usually for printing quality. hens why its Dots per Inch. Like you mentioned, pixel wont change anything because for monitor, and computer, inch doesn't matter unless there are 20 inch + monitor that provides 300 dpi. It does make change when you actually print. you can simply try urself with printer which do have 300 dpi, or you can strech them urself and set them at 100%

this is pic at 300 dpi with 500 x 500 px, 1.6 x 1.6 inch print size
Spoiler

This is Pic at 300 dpi with 5000 x 5000 px, 16 x 16 inch print size
Spoiler

Reason behind this is that sometimes, they would use this image for their own commercial use(unless they are not following kRO's policy on this contest) since they're taking their rights to use the image for their own use. it can be produced as printings, or they can make goods out of it. they did said to not copy or violate, or trace other peoples work in kRO's website too. they also require your original files too.

Edited by CharAznable, 08 November 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#69 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

Should we pm you with character name?

Please add the character name to the post with your entry. 

#70 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

Thank you very much for those of you who participated. If you put a valid character name in your post, I have added a RWC Quarter Finalist crown in your inventory. Post pics wearin it if you'd like!

#71 WarlockFier

WarlockFier

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Silph Road

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

crownthing.png

=o

#72 Chorvaqueen

Chorvaqueen

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1099 posts
  • LocationMiddle Earth
  • Server:Teyvat

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

Spoiler

#73 ReshiramFlare

ReshiramFlare

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

Spoiler

Thanks Oda for the cool crown! :lv:

Edited by ReshiramFlare, 08 November 2013 - 11:34 PM.

#74 Zerion

Zerion

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

I haven't been informed that they needed my original images.
I've only been informed that they wanted a jpg without specifying any sort of compression ratio limitations.
Sirens flash there.

Thanks for trying. But I'm sorry to inform you that that case is unrelated, due to the file being no longer in same width. What i said was. "DPI is unneeded when image size is similar in pixels" and 500 is clearly not 5000
Also, when you want to do a print test, you should provide both images entirely, not just screen-cap them.

I'm assuming the smaller file was the original and the larger file was blown up because it's pixelated, if that is so,The larger file actually does not contain any more information than the smaller file. even though the file size is larger.
You see how it becomes pixelated when you enlarge it like that?| you've actually could lose information zooming it in like that, depending on enlargement algorithm.

"And unless they want to print it directly from our file, without any sort of image program or reformatting. (Which is absurd)
They really should not be asking for it." <Quoting my last message

Again there is "zero" need for the artist's DPI setting once the image sizes are specified in DPI.
Unless gravity's printing team are complete computer illiterates who do not know how to use school level photoshop, re-format pictures to suit whatever size they are printing, and print directly from our file without knowing how to fit it to the media. there are no other reasons at all.

DPI here only affects "print size". a setting which would be lost pretty much as soon as it enters any sort of formatting, like putting it on a page, or just clicking "fit to media", etc. 

Commercial use or not they are the "same image."
and again, there are settings that would greatly impact the image quality that they didn't specify if they were worried about the print quality.
- Compression Ratio for JPG
- Not asking for compressed image formats
- Worrying about Color settings, Translating a CYMK to RGB or vice versa changes the colors slightly.
- Specifying what kind of printer they will use and how it's calibrated.

And I've saved the best for last: They asked for a 300 DPI setting for a PNG image. 
*facepalm* Really? Gravity?
(for those who do not know, PNG throws away the DPI setting anyway, and most programs replace it with something like 72 so yes, they just recieved "72dpi" images, this also goes to prove how pointless it was.)

These mistakes are looked down upon at bachelor degree level. much less professional. you could fail an assignment just because of this. The teacher would say "Oh? JPG?" take your disc and break it then throw it in the bin in front of your eyes write assignment not recieved. yes that really happens.
It would not be so bad if it was your average Joe. But Gravity is a media company. How can you be this incompetent in media?

TLDR: Gravity is incompetent.

PS: Thanks for the hat Oda!

dpi is usually for printing quality. hens why its Dots per Inch. Like you mentioned, pixel wont change anything because for monitor, and computer, inch doesn't matter unless there are 20 inch + monitor that provides 300 dpi. It does make change when you actually print. you can simply try urself with printer which do have 300 dpi, or you can strech them urself and set them at 100%

this is pic at 300 dpi with 500 x 500 px, 1.6 x 1.6 inch print size

Spoiler

This is Pic at 300 dpi with 5000 x 5000 px, 16 x 16 inch print size
Spoiler

Reason behind this is that sometimes, they would use this image for their own commercial use(unless they are not following kRO's policy on this contest) since they're taking their rights to use the image for their own use. it can be produced as printings, or they can make goods out of it. they did said to not copy or violate, or trace other peoples work in kRO's website too. they also require your original files too.

Edited by Zerion, 09 November 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#75 WarlockFier

WarlockFier

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Silph Road

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

At any given time when a client ask for a 300 dpi art resolution work, one would have to assume they plan on printing the artwork if they choose to use your work.

If you were to submit for web base viewing, 1920x1440 is what they ask for, regardless of DPI.

But printing a 1920x1440pix art at 300 dpi on a US size paper is only almost half the size of a paper.

Spoiler

To print an art on a US size paper it would be recommended to have a resolution art at least 4000 x 3000 pix or so (more or less) unless they intend to print it on a larger paper.

You can still print at 150 dpi or 72 dpi but compression may arise and affect the quality of the work/ printing a lot.

There is always room for improvements on art events hosted on iRO, a lot of these lack of information did came kind of vaguely from kRO side. The CMs on iRO side are swamped by a lot of tasks and have many other priorities to handle as well so they can get a little clumsy with the art events sometimes.

However, I have seen a lot of improvement to date and hope to continue to provide feed backs to them to make things better. If I see this sort of requirement pop up again I will try and ask for more details to help make things clearer around here. =)

Edited for grammar because ESL. :v

Edited by WarlockFier, 09 November 2013 - 07:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users