Classic: Autopot discussion thread - Page 2 - Loki Classic Patch Notes - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Classic: Autopot discussion thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
318 replies to this topic

#26 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:58 PM

What's not legal is in the terms of service. Stuff like RCX was never "legal", the GM's just don't ban for it. I'm not sure why players feel they need permission to use AP. Really, I don't think anyone who is against 3rd party programs is suddenly going to start using because Oda said it was ok.

The problem with this grey area stuff (btw, remember when my linker got banned and RCX was declared ok by Heimdallr?) - is that reports and enforcement become spotty and a game of who reports most/who the GMs feel like banning and that should NEVER be a thing when it comes to ingame enforcement.

Most of my guild who are anti autopot are too jaded/worried about being jumped by the community/their own guildmates if they post against popular opinion, but it'll probably destroy Valhalla. They're split 50/50 between pro and anti, and indifference isn't very common.

So I guess my own personal feelings on it is irrelevant. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That said, the GM standing in our precast after I soloed a guild/alliance twice and interfering with our precast because we couldn't put skills on those tiles was kinda uncool. Edumacate the GM team pls.

Edited by Xellie, 27 June 2015 - 10:59 PM.

#27 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:15 PM

The problem with this grey area stuff (btw, remember when my linker got banned and RCX was declared ok by Heimdallr?) - is that reports and enforcement become spotty and a game of who reports most/who the GMs feel like banning and that should NEVER be a thing when it comes to ingame enforcement.

Most of my guild who are anti autopot are too jaded/worried about being jumped by the community/their own guildmates if they post against popular opinion, but it'll probably destroy Valhalla. They're split 50/50 between pro and anti, and indifference isn't very common.

So I guess my own personal feelings on it is irrelevant. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That said, the GM standing in our precast after I soloed a guild/alliance twice and interfering with our precast because we couldn't put skills on those tiles was kinda uncool. Edumacate the GM team pls.

Encourage them to post.

The GMs can't base this off of hearsay.

#28 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:24 PM

Encourage them to post.

The GMs can't base this off of hearsay.

I've tried

They see what happens to me, do you think anyone is gonna put themselves in that position?

#29 Kebtung

Kebtung

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members - No Sig
  • 959 posts
  • Server:( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:35 PM

One exception will eventually lead to another.

A is ok why not B. Later, B is ok why not C. And so on.

#30 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:01 AM

One exception will eventually lead to another.

A is ok why not B. Later, B is ok why not C. And so on.

Relevant.

#31 XPoke

XPoke

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:15 AM

honestly tho, RO was never a well balanced game to begin with, some how people forgot this.

but then again, most games from that generation wasn't balanced. People found their own balance of the game through the meta.

So what I don't understand is, why do we emphasize on keeping the game the same as it used to be and try to work around exploits like autopot instead of combating it directly o_o

Just remove instant heal potions

Would that break the game? How should i know... but people will find their own balance, as always.

As for people rage quitting, are you really telling me that people play RO for the instant heal potions, or that RO without instant heal potions isn't RO anymore?

Change is never bad, stagnation is what kills off a game.

#32 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:18 AM

Lol.

You ok? This got personal real quick for you here. I never called anyone out... Until you posted that... I'll pray for you.

You seem agitated that I don't want you to legally be allowed to use your auto pot.

You know what I really don't like? People that play safe and innocent in order to protect themselves and their guild. Denial of legal AP means you guys can keep at it and preserve the slight mechanical advantage you have over the legitimate players, however few of us are left. It won't affect you, after all.

Oda: Accusations don't move the debate (what little there is at this point) forward and only serve to make this a guild vs guild drama thread. User has been put on probation for this post. 

#33 Tribe

Tribe

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 728 posts
  • Server:Freya

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:20 AM

The playing field needs to be leveled.

I can only see this being done in one of three ways

1. Actively hunt, ban and develop a way to stop auto potters.

2. Bring everyone down to their level, Legalize auto pot.

3. Limit the number of consumables usable per second, this will also make support classes much more desirable.

People will quit no matter what you do.

#34 Gn1ydnu

Gn1ydnu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2077 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Server:Classic

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:25 AM

The playing field needs to be leveled.

I can only see this being done in one of three ways
1. Actively hunt, ban and develop a way to stop auto potters.
2. Bring everyone down to their level, Legalize auto pot.
3. Limit the number of consumables usable per second, this will also make support classes much more desirable.

People will quit no matter what you do.

Option 1 will not be viable.
Option 2 is most likely to succeed.
Option 3 and ro loses some of its uniqueness and a valuable one at that. Inb4 heal priest bots (lmao) or potion pitcher bots (10k per to each pally) or dependence on spp bios more so. Also lowering spam rate makes no difference, you can still use autopot and people will lol.

Edited by Gn1ydnu, 28 June 2015 - 04:28 AM.

#35 XPoke

XPoke

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:29 AM

Option 3 and ro loses some of its uniqueness and a valuable one at that. Inb4 heal priest bots (lmao) or potion pitcher bots (10k per to each pally) or dependence on spp bios more so.

since when did instant heal potions became a point of attraction for RO? I thought it was the anime style art and cute hats.... 

i'll just... go chug some pots now....

#36 Gn1ydnu

Gn1ydnu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2077 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:35 AM

since when did instant heal potions became a point of attraction for RO? I thought it was the anime style art and cute hats....

Those aspects absolutely attract some players. There are countless reasons why people play ro. There are so many cool things about the game.

For many players though (dare I say woe oriented), they play because of the fun, team based, high damage, high healing, and epicness of woe. Having fast recovery rates allows players to play more aggressively and be able to do things that otherwise couldn't be done. It's rewarding in its own way. As for how uniqueness of fast potting plays a role into this... There isn't another game that I have found to have a good hp/sp recovery system that enables highly organized large scale combat. D2 comes to mind, but that's not large scale at all.

#37 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:37 AM

About the same time as instant and rapidly sustained damage...

#38 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:40 AM

Those aspects absolutely attract some players. There are countless reasons why people play ro. There are so many cool things about the game.

For many players though (dare I say woe oriented), they play because of the fun, team based, high damage, high healing, and epicness of woe. Having fast recovery rates allows players to play more aggressively and be able to do things that otherwise couldn't be done. It's rewarding in its own way. As for how uniqueness of fast potting plays a role into this... There isn't another game that I have found to have a good hp/sp recovery system that enables highly organized large scale combat. D2 comes to mind, but that's not large scale at all.

In RO, the button mashing is real.

nyI92C3.gif

#39 Misos

Misos

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed.

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:46 AM

Almost everything has CD in modern MMOs, and yes spammable potions/skills are unique part of RO. Delay is not an option, you can't stay alive if you are playing front-line class during GvG.

#40 Tribe

Tribe

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 728 posts
  • Server:Freya

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:52 AM

He is right though. RO is about being fast paced. But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

#41 Kebtung

Kebtung

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members - No Sig
  • 959 posts
  • Server:( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:52 AM

Unless there's some certainty involved.

We have already seen some people used ragial as an excuse to make an exception for buff bots.

#42 jokeserewrwer

jokeserewrwer

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:44 AM

Let's have a discussion with GM's on voice chat

Edited by jokeserewrwer, 28 June 2015 - 06:45 AM.

#43 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:54 AM

This will be the first and the final warning here, any continuation of attempts to stir guild drama will be moderated, either the post itself or the posting account. Be civil please.

#44 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:40 AM

Unless there's some certainty involved.
We have already seen some people used ragial as an excuse to make an exception for buff bots.

Some people think the world is still flat too, doesn't mean they are right.

#45 Tolrin

Tolrin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:06 PM

I would have absolutely no interest in continuing to play a server that accepted any level of automation, whether it is macros, packet replicators, or bots.

#46 XPoke

XPoke

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:07 PM

Almost everything has CD in modern MMOs, and yes spammable potions/skills are unique part of RO. Delay is not an option, you can't stay alive if you are playing front-line class during GvG.

If people really like the RO's current pace with respect to damage output i dont think there would be a discussion to nerf/disable gods right? I could be wrong about this though. After all, I don't really know what's in other people's brains.

I do understand that some people see instant healing as a necessity for the fast paced game RO is, but my original train of thought wasn't really a consideration of whether or not having instant healing potions is required to keep the game balanced, or even playable.

my original question was really, "do RO players really enjoy button mashing?".

I'm going to go out on a limb and say people who use autopot do not, or at least not during competitive play. Otherwise they wouldn't, well, autopot.

Plenty of games are extremely face paced, some faster than RO. And, like you said, most of them don't have instant spammable healing potions.

Yet those games work, with large player bases (which probably means it's somewhat enjoyable), so who's really to say RO couldn't make fast paced game play without instant healing potions work?

(Kinda off topic already as this is a discussion wrt autopot specifically, so I'll voice my opinion on the subject too.)

BUT, If people really enjoy having instant, spammable healing potions and absolutely rejects the game without it...

Then personally, I don't think there's any other way here.

Either everyone gets access to autopot

or the situation will stay as is

that's pretty much the only potential outcomes. People who talk about stricter enforcement and what not haven't caught on, but it's not something that can be done currently, so there is no option 3.

Basically, either say yes to auto pot, or just take the game as is and learn to enjoy it (or don't play, really it's up to the individual)

#47 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

I would have absolutely no interest in continuing to play a server that accepted any level of automation, whether it is macros, packet replicators, or bots.

If he goes, I go.

#48 Romeu

Romeu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationEverywhere
  • Server:Clasic

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

If he goes, I go.

If she goes I go. Kappa

#49 needmorezleep

needmorezleep

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1013 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:12 PM

macros are legal as long as your there though c:

#50 Rice

Rice

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:17 PM

Do not make it legal for AutoPot to be used. -_- It's bad enough having people use it illegally. What the hell is the point of playing the game if literally everyone starts using cheats to get ahead? -_-  I won't be playing this game if that comes to be, WoEs my only form of enjoyment now. Classic server is already not the way it use to be regardless...everythings too easy. =/ Ruined from the beginning.

Edited by Rice, 28 June 2015 - 12:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users