12/2 Latency, Disconnections and what is being done about it - Page 4 - Archives - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

12/2 Latency, Disconnections and what is being done about it

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
224 replies to this topic

#76 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:07 PM

I don't see why Gravity doesn't hire a third party to step in and work on their security and stop the attacks. It's clear they cannot handle it alone and their ISP has never stepped in to do a damn thing as far as I have witnessed.

#77 Moongoddess256

Moongoddess256

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

Since when was DoS attacks Gravity's fault? jeez. Get mad at the person doing that instead of gravity. Oh right, we don't know who it is so you need a scapegoat.

#78 TatakaiRyu

TatakaiRyu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

Damn, first renewal bugs/poor testings, delayed VAS and now a hell of annoying latency/lag/DCs.

Gravity don't deserve my money anymore. . . /pif

How about you stop complaining and quit then lol? Let me guess, all talk?

#79 HayrohsLegacy

HayrohsLegacy

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Location名古屋、Japan
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Loki Champ & Chaos RG

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:39 PM

How about you stop complaining and quit then lol? Let me guess, all talk?

I've been playing for 8 years and you can't blame me if this is the first time I QQ, I don't care anymore coz I'll just let things happen and go with this annoying flow.

#80 Pooru

Pooru

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • Locationsouthern california
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:46 PM

Since when was DoS attacks Gravity's fault? jeez. Get mad at the person doing that instead of gravity. Oh right, we don't know who it is so you need a scapegoat.

shes saying its being too much work for gravity to keep up and it would be essentially more effective to have a third party work on their network security as opposed to having to do it themselves.

ever heard the saying 2 heads are better than 1?

#81 HayrohsLegacy

HayrohsLegacy

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Location名古屋、Japan

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:49 PM

shes saying its being too much work for gravity to keep up and it would be essentially more effective to have a third party work on their network security as opposed to having to do it themselves.

ever heard the saying 2 heads are better than 1?

+1

#82 Moongoddess256

Moongoddess256

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:52 PM

Except considering how shorthanded they've seemed to be recently, I find it doubtful they can AFFORD that.

#83 MeisterKirisaki

MeisterKirisaki

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • LocationiRO Loki

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

lol its prob insur/EA doing the ddosing...

What's your accusation based on?

#84 HayrohsLegacy

HayrohsLegacy

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Location名古屋、Japan

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:56 PM

Except considering how shorthanded they've seemed to be recently, I find it doubtful they can AFFORD that.

They should also recruit and make a PARTY LOL! :)

#85 SisterGoat

SisterGoat

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • LocationWA, USA
  • Server:Classic

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:01 PM

They do need to get better security though. I don't think this DDOS attacker is going to stop any time soon on their own.

#86 Hanz

Hanz

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • LocationCalfornia

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:06 PM

The lag is annoying, but I think the people complaining about Gravity are more annoying to me. I've always enjoyed RO, and I've started playing around 8-9 years ago. That's a friggin decade of my life (pretty sad actually if you consider that most people live to around 80-90 if good)... and missing out on a few weeks ain't gonna kill me or get me sour.

My choice, I'd rather just chill and wait this out until the DDOS'ers and ISP issues are fixed before I go back into the game (not like RO is my entire life, maybe it is for some of these other people complaining though). Complaining at Gravity is only going to encourage those hackers/crackers more, as well as give them the victory.

I'd hate to be working for Gravity right now, as a business owner who deals with a lot of outside factor crap, I can almost sympathize with the situation they are in.
Thanks Heim for keeping us updated.

#87 Hanz

Hanz

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • LocationCalfornia

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:13 PM

By the way... how are the DDOS attacks working anyway? is it just massive failed attempts to log in? Can't you set it so that a failed attempt to log in must wait like 30 seconds to retry or something like that? That might be frustrating but it's way better than dealing with DDOS isn't it? I know it's probably not that easy... but just curious.

Sorry if it's a noob question, it's been ages since I did anything remotely close to hacking.

#88 pomdjyer

pomdjyer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:20 PM

poor servers :)

hope it gets fixed soon hehehe xD

#89 Pooru

Pooru

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • Locationsouthern california
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:31 PM

if they can afford new website layout, renewal program/patch, ISP, hardware to deal with server disconnections. Im sure they could afford such a thing.

#90 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:27 AM

By the way... how are the DDOS attacks working anyway? is it just massive failed attempts to log in? Can't you set it so that a failed attempt to log in must wait like 30 seconds to retry or something like that? That might be frustrating but it's way better than dealing with DDOS isn't it? I know it's probably not that easy... but just curious.

Sorry if it's a noob question, it's been ages since I did anything remotely close to hacking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

#91 Shandra

Shandra

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:35 AM

poor servers :)

hope it gets fixed soon hehehe xD

There is nothing to fix, the DDos must be blocked.

And 2 more days of it, than at valkyrie only bots are playing:( Real players will do other things now.

#92 LethalJokeChar

LethalJokeChar

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:44 AM

It's really simple, guys. Any game entertainment company worth its salt should expect to get a DDOS attack directed at it at some point. They should work closely with their ISP and develop plans in advance to deflect or block such attacks. Get their own network guys to manage routers and firewalls if any of those elements may be separate from their ISP.

But we all know... this isn't really what happened, is it?

#93 Risami

Risami

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:14 AM

seem the latency issue will never be fix i can never play my main cause of it. is there a date where they will actually fix it for good

#94 hoikarnage

hoikarnage

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1876 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:28 AM

Bonus token of sigfried boxes back in kafra shop please. It will go nicely with the no death penalty. Thanks <3

#95 Frah

Frah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Server:Chaos RO1 Odin RO2

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:03 AM

renewal bugs/poor testings

Well that's what gravity gets (no offense Gravity) for only letting premium players test renewal, no offense, but gravity should have let free players test it too. & don't even start with, 'Oh the bots would have lagged the server making it unplayable' MORE THAN HALF THE DANG BOTS WE HAVE ON VALK ARE HARMLESS ROGUE FARMING BOTS, THAT MAINLY ONLY FARM WORTHLESS ITEMS LIKE STEMS.

Edited by Frah, 02 December 2010 - 08:04 AM.

#96 dragoonlordz

dragoonlordz

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:25 AM

What's your accusation based on?

I agree there's a potential of it being a member from one of those two guilds, the timing of the original DDos attack and this subsequant one happened both right after Insur members were banned. That in itself adds this as a possiblity.

Personally given the timing if I was the GM team I would hand their addresses and names of the people who were banned during that period to the FBI field office which is who you are supposed to contact I read when you are under attack from DDos. Or even local authority, though it's not very easy to track the culprit down it is very much possible without exception, recording and analysing the packet data gives you a bread crumb trail to follow and always if follow right through leads to the person(s) in the end. Sentences I have read for those who did get prosecuted ranged from fines+community orders all the way to prison sentences and massive fines. Just because alot of companies don't bother going to the authorities therefore alot of attackers go unpunished, the ones that do bother going to authorities and pursue attacker in court tend to always carry consequences for the one responsable. I read on many forums that people have the misconception doing a DDos attack is untracable they are wrong, others believing noone gets prosectued or prison time for such things again they are wrong and merely based on personal feelings about it not hard facts. Like they 'feel' they wouldnt face prosecution because not many others do, but the reason not many others do is just because authorities were never gotten involved to point where company wanted to trace or even prosecute.

Anyways I hope they have contacted the right people and recorded packet data for use in tracing the person and that person if nothing else gets fined large sum of which can be used to give us all free KP iems that the attacker pays for in fines lol

Edited by dragoonlordz, 02 December 2010 - 08:26 AM.

#97 Itsukiishdia

Itsukiishdia

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationInternet?

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:05 AM

Well that's what gravity gets (no offense Gravity) for only letting premium players test renewal, no offense, but gravity should have let free players test it too. & don't even start with, 'Oh the bots would have lagged the server making it unplayable' MORE THAN HALF THE DANG BOTS WE HAVE ON VALK ARE HARMLESS ROGUE FARMING BOTS, THAT MAINLY ONLY FARM WORTHLESS ITEMS LIKE STEMS.

If people knew that free players were allowed to test the server then hackers would have created a bot to test as well. This has nothing to do about testing the game out. It is due to poor ISP service. They need to shut the game down and switch to a different company. They could do the switch and call it a maintenance instead of a whole bunch of mini maintenance. Gravity is doing the best they can to solve this problem. Yes, Gravity did have this coming but your information is invalid.

Gravity should listen to the public and ask people to submit ideas based on the information given. Then, have a set amount of GM's read the reports and then discuss what will be best. I am confused though, what is Gravity trying to do right now that is causing a stall? They shouldn't have tried to fix the servers but just switch to a new ISP and setup new securities.

Personally, I think it would help if you have 5 tries to log in and after that you have to wait an hour to try again. If you can't log in after 3 then you should probably have Warpportal resend your password and user name information to your email. It isn't Warpportal's fault if you forget your information.

#98 Puppet

Puppet

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 831 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:07 AM

unless this stuff is fixed before my account dies, I wont be paying them nothing for sub, and I think if they give every there free December like they said now it be bad idea cause no one will be able to play hah, They should add a pin to your characters just log on them just like Requiem and Aion does now as double security , but then I doubt that will help any

Edited by Puppet, 02 December 2010 - 09:10 AM.

#99 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

If people knew that free players were allowed to test the server then hackers would have created a bot to test as well. This has nothing to do about testing the game out.

About bots in testing: really? the bot developers didn't need to test anything at all. They had several other servers to test in, and indeed they were working in renewal since a year ago when kRO had renewal. In the very rare case a botter would feel the need to make a bot on a server where talking to an npc gets you to 150, talking to another bpc gives you millions zeny, talking to others give you every card and gear and supplies needed.... well, at least it would help test server load =p. And it would at one point play its botted chara, so it would be testing as well. Simply, if your point was true, there would not be bots now on ymir or valkyrie.

Actually... renewal did have a poor testing thanks to poor setup in testing. Among other mistakes, testing with limited people, encouraging people to NOT test and instead play in their native servers with dragonlabs/icedun/exp events while the testing was done... announcing the woe test a few minutes before it was held, and almost overlapping with the real servers woe... ignoring feedback (To XYZ has used XZY skill still displays in my client, training grounds npcs still have wrong test, some skills still have wrong description, etc)

Then, the testing time for the resets was too short for the update, and it was limited by zeny for some weird reason. With the players confused about the new builds, or what the new formulas were, or what stats did what... limiting testing was a really bad idea.

#100 Itsukiishdia

Itsukiishdia

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationInternet?

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:13 PM

What I meant, when I said "testing", was in a sarcastic manner. When people have the weird motive to hack (namely the DDOS attack), I'm sure they would have the motive to hold up servers or create mischief as well in a test server. Not for a benefit but for the thrill or whatever. I have never hacked or had the motive to, so I am a little ignorant in that field, but the main issue (which is the DDOS attack), doesn't have anything to do about renewal but to do with security(ies). Some problems, such as the interest level of the game, does have to do about renewal though, but it won't be sorted out until the latency issue is solved.

Gravity needs to start caring about feedback, and fast cause the issue in "interest" will remain low indefinitely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users