[Archived] Running Ragnarok Online on Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 - Page 2 - Ragnarok subforum archives - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

[Archived] Running Ragnarok Online on Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#26 TheChaos20

TheChaos20

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:35 AM

Hi, i just downloaded a instalation package trough a torrent.It will open, but when it comes to instaling, its just too long.Its says Instaling ragnarok online, please wait while the setup wizard installs Ragnarok Online.
Im waiting like a 45 min, whit no progress.Im on W7

#27 Xier

Xier

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:00 PM

Hi, I did everything mentioned on the first post (running as admin, disk is not protected, UAC is off)
I was able to launch RO and getting into the game, but whenever I see another player on screen, I get all sort of weird errors (sprite error) and then D/Ced.

I have tried re-patching but it still won't work. What else can I do? I am running Windows 7 Ultimate.

#28 Fauxpaws

Fauxpaws

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

Wierd...
Patched, everything goes successfully, but it would appear the DPI setting on my mouse makes it go flying uncontrollably across the screen when i try to agree to the Terms of Service... it's kinda odd, anyone have a fix for this?

#29 Celestia

Celestia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:56 PM

I'm having a problem too. I just recently wanted to return to RO, so I downloaded the bit torrent from the official site. I can access the server option list no problem, but it just says Failed to Connect to server. Does anyone know the solution to this?

#30 LyzFord

LyzFord

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:06 PM

Alright, I surrender. Trying to run RO on Windows7 and I've done everything I have dug up on this forum. I went through compatability and told Ragnarok.exe to always run as admin. I went to the firewall and told Windows to allow everything vaguely RO related. I copied the entire folder to a different location. After all that, I still can't connect to any of the servers.

I just thought I'd make a little account and poke around while I waited for my old account to get restored, but RO is telling me quite clearly to GTFO, I think. =)

#31 Chucklet

Chucklet

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands [NL], stuck in traffic.
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir(?)

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:10 AM

It's clearly time for Gravity to make a new client I think...

Yes, the client takes a long time to start up in some cases. It works, but takes a long time, just go do something else for a moment. If you think you'd rather have a .exe instead of a .msi file for vice versa, check out the wiki downloads.

The most recent problems with connection issues are because people are using the WRONG .exe, we now use ragnarok.exe to play and patch (this after patching renewal.exe once, to make sure you have all files) also, everything RO related must be done under 'run as admin' mode (installing, patching, playing) to make sure everything works. To get some help patching either normally or manually (the normal way = preferred), you can read through this guide: http://forums.warppo...-april-6th-vip/ (video/text)

Sprite errors ARE caused by not patching correctly, see the above fixes.

#32 otakucho

otakucho

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

patches work, i'm running win 7 64-bit, all i get is a black screen... nothing more no sound... no messages nothing. when i was using a pc at my in-laws over the weekend they had xp pro sp2 and it worked perfect lol, then again that pc is like 5-6 years old xD. Now i'm home to my real pc aaand it just goes black after running the patcher.

Edited by otakucho, 24 April 2011 - 02:43 PM.

#33 Chucklet

Chucklet

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands [NL], stuck in traffic.
  • Server:Ymir(?)

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

patches work, i'm running win 7 64-bit, all i get is a black screen... nothing more no sound... no messages nothing. when i was using a pc at my in-laws over the weekend they had xp pro sp2 and it worked perfect lol, then again that pc is like 5-6 years old xD. Now i'm home to my real pc aaand it just goes black after running the patcher.

Try this (by DrAzzy): http://forums.warppo...raphics-issues/

#34 otakucho

otakucho

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:06 AM

Try this (by DrAzzy): http://forums.warppo...raphics-issues/

Nope.. still nothing... tried everything there.. still just a black screen it might just be because i'm running a 64-bit version of win 7... (i have 6GB ram and i like it all to be read xD)

Edited by otakucho, 25 April 2011 - 06:12 AM.

#35 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:39 AM

Nope.. still nothing... tried everything there.. still just a black screen it might just be because i'm running a 64-bit version of win 7... (i have 6GB ram and i like it all to be read xD)

Wow, must have missed this issue.

But I have nothing to contribute, other than that RO works great on 64 bit win7 for me (with 16GB ram)

#36 Unglued

Unglued

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:32 PM

Could run windowed at the highest res that works, and set the task bar to not be always-on-top so that you can use the full screen height.

Hey DrAzzy, is there a way to set taskbar to not "always on top" on windows 7?
I've the same problem with the screenshots. My current resolution is 1366 x 768 and I've got the same problems when taking screenshots:
Posted Image
I've searched a bit but it seems that there is no way to do that on windows 7.
:(

Edited by Unglued, 30 May 2011 - 11:11 PM.

#37 Zebalt86

Zebalt86

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

Edited by Zebalt86, 31 May 2011 - 12:37 PM.

#38 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

Hey DrAzzy, is there a way to set taskbar to not "always on top" on windows 7?
I've the same problem with the screenshots. My current resolution is 1366 x 768 and I've got the same problems when taking screenshots:
Posted Image
I've searched a bit but it seems that there is no way to do that on windows 7.
:(

For screenshots, set the resolution that RO runs at to a non-widescreen resolution. So, for 768 vertical pixels, 1024x768, instead of 1366x768. Widescreen resolutions get mangled in screenshots.

There isn't a not-always-on-top option for win7. You can make it autohide the taskbar, though, which would achieve the same goal. Even 7TT doesnt seem to give an option to change that :-(

#39 Unglued

Unglued

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:14 PM

For screenshots, set the resolution that RO runs at to a non-widescreen resolution. So, for 768 vertical pixels, 1024x768, instead of 1366x768. Widescreen resolutions get mangled in screenshots.

There isn't a not-always-on-top option for win7. You can make it autohide the taskbar, though, which would achieve the same goal. Even 7TT doesnt seem to give an option to change that :-(

Thx for the Reply. I tested 1280x768 and the screenshot works fine with that resolution however I loose some horizontal pixels when compared to 1366 =(
1024 pixels is just too small for me. It feels like I'm confined to a little tiny screen.

#40 Kwijlie

Kwijlie

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

My RO still doesn't work. Tried everything on the forum, but nothing seems to solve anything.. I also started a new topic, could anyone read it and see if they could help me please..? I don't know what else to do, sob!

#41 DCturtle

DCturtle

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

Hi, I'm on W7, have just reinstalled the latest client (iRO-13.2.2-FullInstall-20110421-1717) but am constantly getting:

Failed to get 2011-4-21data_gm.gpf file.

I've tried this on another computer, but end up with the same problem.
DrAzzy mentioned, or rather warned, NOT to use his solution if the SAME message keeps occurring. So I'm just wondering what it means if it is the same 'Failed to get...' every time.

I've tried downloading that file off the ftp using IE9, and putting in my ragnarok online folder, but the client still ends up saying the same thing.
My game is also installed outside of Program Files.

Funny thing is everything was working fine before the latest maintenance, but not afterwards; which is when I tried reinstalling.

...I just want to click Start!! XD

I've just gone and downloaded all the files listed in patch2.txt, put them in my RO folder, still to have it: Failed to get 2011-4-21data_gm.gpf file.

Edited by DCturtle, 06 July 2011 - 07:31 PM.

#42 Kru99

Kru99

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

I'm having problems too after browsing through the forums and still to no avail, My client patches fine but the exe is not executing. After I press start game it does not do anything. I have tried re-installing and re-downloading the client but still no success. I'm downloading the client from the main website btw. anyone has an idea? I am a returning player too and this is honestly just annoying and it makes me think twice to even try it out.

EDIT: i am actually getting MFC errors during the repacking stage when i tried to trouble shoot it. any ideas?

Edited by Kru99, 06 July 2011 - 10:58 PM.

#43 Dyzn

Dyzn

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

Hey guys.

(My Comp: Windows 7 64bit, graphic: Crossfire ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series [W2261] )

I had the same problem with black screen etc. but after 3 hours testing and trying i've come to a simple solution for this problem. Hopefully it will help u too.

First, i switched the ragnarok folder to C:\Games. (don't know if its actually needed)
Second, in my ragnarok folder i changed the properties for BOTH, Setup.exe and Ragnarok.exe to run as administrator, i also activate the compatibilitymode, choose Windows XP SP3. Again i did that for BOTH.
Third, i started the Setup.exe and changed the first option to my graphic card (ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series).

Don't know if its the same for everyone but for me it looked like this:
1.Direct3D Hal
2.Direct3D T&L Hal
3.ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
4.ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series <- 4 worked for me.

I guess it shows ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series two times because of crossfire.

After that i was able to run ragnarok, no black screen, no errors.

Tell me if it works for u.

Sorry for my bad english.

#44 Horrorkumani

Horrorkumani

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

I got the problem with installation. When I opened the install file, a Windows Installer popped up and said: "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."
What should I do?Screenshot

Edited by Horrorkumani, 10 August 2011 - 02:20 PM.

#45 DMXrated01

DMXrated01

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:01 AM

This morning, I downloaded iRO-13.2.2-FullInstall-20110421-1717 onto my hard drive, and allowed it to install Ragnarok Online. When I click on the icon for Ragnarok itself, I'm given the options to start the game, visit the website, or close the window that appears. When I click "Start", I instead get a message saying "Cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem."

Could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong, what I'm missing, or what I'm forgetting to do? I'd appreciate it.

#46 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

This morning, I downloaded iRO-13.2.2-FullInstall-20110421-1717 onto my hard drive, and allowed it to install Ragnarok Online. When I click on the icon for Ragnarok itself, I'm given the options to start the game, visit the website, or close the window that appears. When I click "Start", I instead get a message saying "Cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem."

Could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong, what I'm missing, or what I'm forgetting to do? I'd appreciate it.

Solution described in the graphics problem thread:
http://forums.warppo...raphics-issues/

#47 Unglued

Unglued

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:08 PM

How to reduce CPU Usage?

I usually have about 4 clients opened (for shops, buy / sell chats, etc...). When I run the clients as Window mode, and my 4 clients are minimized, my CPU usage goes up to 100%. It feels like the laptop is gonna melt. @.@
However, when I run all clients on Full Screen Mode, and my 4 clients are minimized, the Windows Task Manager Shows that the CPU usage is being about 20%.

For me, it is a lot easier to run the clients on Window Mode. It's a lot faster to switch from window to window... Do any of you know how I can reduce my CPU Usage when I'm on Window Mode?

My Computer Specs:
Spoiler

Also on the Windows Performance Options > Visual Effects, I have all settings applied to "Adjust for best appearance". Maybe if I deselect one of those features, it will help for running RO on window mode? Which one?

Thx in advance
=)

#48 ShiroiSushi

ShiroiSushi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:55 AM

Hello

If anyone is still helping here a have a problem with installing the game :/
It sayd the setup has been interrupted and if i click finish it closes... Can anyone help me here? :)

#49 Ultimate

Ultimate

Ultimate Event Inventor

• Members
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationValhalla Dwarf NPC

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

How to reduce CPU Usage?

I usually have about 4 clients opened (for shops, buy / sell chats, etc...). When I run the clients as Window mode, and my 4 clients are minimized, my CPU usage goes up to 100%. It feels like the laptop is gonna melt. @.@
However, when I run all clients on Full Screen Mode, and my 4 clients are minimized, the Windows Task Manager Shows that the CPU usage is being about 20%.

For me, it is a lot easier to run the clients on Window Mode. It's a lot faster to switch from window to window... Do any of you know how I can reduce my CPU Usage when I'm on Window Mode?

My Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Also on the Windows Performance Options > Visual Effects, I have all settings applied to "Adjust for best appearance". Maybe if I deselect one of those features, it will help for running RO on window mode? Which one?

Thx in advance
=)

You don't need to customize your windows too much. Presumably you have Windows Vista (I've been wrong) as it's a Core2Duo. If the screen resolution for RO matches your desktop screen resolution, you shouldn't be noticing much difference when tabbing in or out - you're not refreshing each time you swap to another screen. So, make sure if your desktop is 1280x800 resolution then RO is the same. But, running four versions of anything on a laptop is gonna probably gonna make it number crunch quite a bit. You could try the clients on non-widescreen resolutions too.

In task manager, also don't play with CPU priority or affinity as I found that greatly degrades performance and never speeds things up.

Lastly, if you knock off a bunch of those "Adjust for best appearance" things your laptop overall should run better. You RAM is probably 533mhz and cooking just a little with too many tasks, but another issue might be the GPU. It's built in and that chip I think had quite a bit lower clock speed thus it wasn't as good for games. That chip also doesn't have its own physical memory but relies on dynamic memory (those 4GB you have, but not all 4GB) which again means its gonna be slower and heat up faster. Anyway, what you can try doing is increasing your "virtual memory paging file" (it's the tab right beside "adjusting for physical appearance" etc).

If all that fails, just run it all in full screen mode with no visual effects enabled :) Hope this helps, mostly you're going to have to play around with these settings, and look up what "virtual memory" is if you don't know so you're well informed about what kind of settings you're playing with.

#50 Ultimate

Ultimate

Ultimate Event Inventor

• Members
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationValhalla Dwarf NPC

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:55 PM

Hello

If anyone is still helping here a have a problem with installing the game :/
It sayd the setup has been interrupted and if i click finish it closes... Can anyone help me here? :)

Can you post a picture of the error?

I would say try to right click on the setup file and say 'run as administrator'

There are also instructions on the first page of this thread that would probably fix it. Also make sure you have enough space on your hard drive to install the game - once in a while that's actually an issue. Let me know!

Also, if you're trying this on Windows XP it might actually be a problem with something called component services. Please post a screenshot of the error or type in the error exactly as it appears :)

Edited by Ultimate, 12 September 2011 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users