The stupidity of starting a party - Page 5 - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

The stupidity of starting a party

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#101 vonnegut

vonnegut

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:RO2: Odin

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

I've been itching for a long time now and finally decided to speak up for Healers. This will be one long rant.

*snip*

Be Nice.

Thanks.

Amen! I'm so tired of dungeons and CONSTANTLY being hounded for parties because other people need things that I'm completely burnt out. You guys only have to push a couple of buttons, we have to watch the entire screen, pay attention to where the spawns are going to hit, anticipate AoEs, heal the tank while trying to keep the rest of the party alive, it's not easy. And those of you who blame the healer for letting you down, be more mindful of the situation and pull mobs off of them so they don't have to heal themselves. Yes, of course I want to help everyone, but I don't -love- it, I just do it out of a sense of duty and stay up much later than I should because I want to be there for people who need it.

I've actually made the decision to go hybrid as a result.

#102 kohppa

kohppa

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA
  • Server:RO2 - Odin, Ch. 9

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Anywai priests are SICK of most dungeons, they see them more as a DUTY than some exciting new experiense. They likely don't need anything from it any more.

Meanwhile, all the heal sorcs (myself included) are begging to have a chance at trying to heal dungeons and prove their worth...

PLEASE LET ME HEAL YOU...

Amen! I'm so tired of dungeons and CONSTANTLY being hounded for parties because other people need things that I'm completely burnt out. You guys only have to push a couple of buttons, we have to watch the entire screen, pay attention to where the spawns are going to hit, anticipate AoEs, heal the tank while trying to keep the rest of the party alive, it's not easy. And those of you who blame the healer for letting you down, be more mindful of the situation and pull mobs off of them so they don't have to heal themselves. Yes, of course I want to help everyone, but I don't -love- it, I just do it out of a sense of duty and stay up much later than I should because I want to be there for people who need it.

I've actually made the decision to go hybrid as a result.

Rena <33333 DPS for me??

PSA - Sorcs can heal too. Rather well, especially in the AoE department. If a Sorc is build Full Support, they can heal some of the lesser dungeons (and harder if they have a good team with good communication) no problem. Don't single out Priests for healing and Sorcs for DPS! WE CAN BOTH DO BOTH!!!!!!!!

*equality*

There need to be more Jesus Beam Priests for me to heal!

Edited by kohppa, 16 May 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#103 vonnegut

vonnegut

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Server:RO2: Odin

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

Rena <33333 DPS for me??

I'll let you heal me anytime, baby.

#104 Sakarai

Sakarai

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

Oh it gets better. I got a whisper from a priest to do Sea God on my alt and he wanted to charge us 30 zenny to heal us per run. Honestly?

#105 Tsukura

Tsukura

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • LocationWashington
  • Server:Odin

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

Oh it gets better. I got a whisper from a priest to do Sea God on my alt and he wanted to charge us 30 zenny to heal us per run. Honestly?

*facepalm* This reminds me of the the RO1 joke for "PLZ." Where PLZ stood for Priests Love Zeny.

Realistically, people should try playing a healer for once and see how we feel healing people. I've met my fair share of nice people, rude people, ignorant people and overall dimwits. It really isn't fun being a healer when people blame us for everything. I personally feel guilty when people die. I don't need someone berating me about it even more than I beat myself up about it. However, I will not feel guilty if the DPS or tank is so lazy that they won't pay attention to AoE damage or warnings on their screen where they have the chance to avoid it. It is a team game. People shouldn't put all the blame and stress on a class that already has the hardest job. To me, I'm giving it my all as it is.

So my questions I have people is this:
Why is it automatically the healers fault?
Why don't people have any respect for other's time?
Why doesn't everyone give it their all?
And why can't we all have fun and be relaxed?

RO2 is a game guys. We're all here to relax and have fun. We are all players just like everyone else. So please treat everyone with respect and kindness. And show some sort of responsibility for your actions and dedication to your work.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned by believing in having honor. I'd like to think that chivalry isn't dead either...

Edited by Tsukura, 16 May 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#106 Cer89

Cer89

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

I've been itching for a long time now and finally decided to speak up for Healers. This will be one long rant.

I've been a healer in A LOT of MMOs, basically every MMO i've played before. Healing is what i LOVE most. Only accidentally I've became a tank in RO2. I hope that makes me a good tank, as though I'm not so good at switching targets and holding threat on everything, I believe that I understand healers and try to make their job as easy as possible. Even if it annoys DPS. (ur dps! ur job is already simple enough, im not gonna make it even easier!)

Healers are most sought for players in most games. Not even just MMORPG. In LoL most people prefer to play dps too.
Obviously that puts healers in high demand. That doesnt change their supply much though. Of course still some players decide to make a healer just to have no trouble finding a party/raid, but such people mostly either don't make all the way or become those dps priests that fail at healing and shoot lightning around instead. Such cases are minority, as they eventualy start playing something they really enjoy.

What's left are those nice guys who honestly enjoy healing people. I want to stress that absolutely MOST people choose to play HEAL because they are NICE. Like real trying-to-help-everyone-around-even-if-it-hurts-himself nice. They can't hate others even if they do -_-, they can only be disappointed; they can't be mean only because they want to, they already aim for greater good.

If a priest didn't rez you before looting it may be because he's a turd, most likely he was just distracted/spaced out after a hard fight. If he didn't join your party, maybe he had some other agreement.

If he didn't join you and said he wants a full party, maybe he just thinks that those, who already went through trouble of gathering 4 people deserve to be prioritized than some guy who was most likely use him as a leverage to get himself a party on his conditions (like not allowing other people of his class in). You could have gathered 4 people yourself before inviting a priest. (We know who that part of rant was aimed at.)

Then most priests do all the dungeons so many times that every next time literally hurts them. Limited number of people cant satisfy everyone.
Especially since half of them don't even bother to be nice and think of that poor guy who has all the responsibility and has it hardest.
Other players on their team tend to ignore aoe (because it's not their job to watch their health), ignore ads (it's not their job again), ignore strategy (those stupid stratedies hurt their dps) and don't do breaks (why would they if their health is full). Also sometimes dps think that sharing 1 pack of mobs is lame and pull a pack each.
Ofc noone focuses anything ever too. Tank's supposed to keep his threat off that deviant rogue by AOE alone, or he's a bad tank and it's all his fault (just some personal insecurity, noone complained yet, but happens often).
Anywai priests are SICK of most dungeons, they see them more as a DUTY than some exciting new experiense. They likely don't need anything from it any more.

So some requests (not demands) like getting all greens (maybe they need mats to level BS) or doing trash (Khara) aren't outrageous demands, it's them trying to get SOMETHING for their WORK. They're being your personal guardian angel and tolerate all your quirks and as you will never get that thought yourself, they try to make you do something nice to them too.

As a most in-demand class, priests find parties to dungeons in a flash, because that's one of the few things that actually REQUIRE a healer. But once they're outside... They're just a bother (except world-bosses). They're slow, they have no damage output, they leech on your experience...

People don't understand how hard it is to level in a grind-based game with only one damaging spell. That is not their problem. Priests are supposed to be somewhere around always ready to heal a dungeon/boss/whatever, never have any needs and poop rainbows all around. People generally avoid forming a static leveling party with anyone but their IRL buddies. Synchronizing your play-time is a butt. Thus people rarely party for more than a few quests and only when they discover that they have all the same quests. Such coincidences are a rare thing and people HATE doing same thing over again for someone else's sake.

And that is even worse in priests' case. As I already mentioned grinding with only one dmg spell is ridiculously frustrating. If i have a miniboss to kill on my young priest i most often fight it for long enough that people around get annoyed and finish it for me. That means that most Khara are just out of question. Only the most basic and necessary quests. That's why wherever I go on my warior i see loads of underleveled (relative to the aone they're in) priests bunching up together to do quests like some OUTCASTS. Because apparently only other priests bother to help their kind. They not only have to do less quests to avoid going insane, they also share the combat experience with each other which SETS THEM BACK even more.

Think about it. How many of you helped a priest even once on your way to 50? Not with some world boss or dungeon (it's a moot point who helped who there), but in their everyday questing, grinding, something boring.

Seeing how people ignore others in dungeons (dont wait for dead before looting, not waiting for casters to eat, stealing tanking rings from tanks and shouting NEED! when a dps ring drops 5 minutes later =/) i don't expect many did.

So the point of this rant is: Be mindful of those who have your back in the toughest moments. Next time you login into the game - ask in LFG or Public or Trade if some priest needs help with his quests. They try to avoid bothering other people with their own problems, but they DESPERATELY NEED someone to be bothered.

And even if you don't have time for that (who are we kidding, it's not about time) - please at least tell your friends about priests' hardships and give them a nudge towards being generous once in a while and giving some of their time to help those in need.

If you do that, you will notice soon that your friendlist is packed with happy high-level priests ready to jump into action at a wave of your hand.

Be Nice.

Thanks.

Dude you took it to another level, hope you realize that. Of course there will be people acting dumb during dungeons, it's the internet people who need on upgrades even if the stat is for tank and they are dps is something you will see in games like this. I did a dungeon a few times with a random group, some guy gets the letter that drop from boss in abandon lab right, we do it once more then he goes needs it and gets it again somehow.

Being a FS Priest is not easy, people who have never healed will crap their pants when they play a priest for the first time. You don't need to tell us all about it. If you see someone talking down on a priest for any reason just laugh at them, Tell them to play a priest and do a better job than you, that's it, the end.

#107 NiaAdha

NiaAdha

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

*dribble*

If you do that, you will notice soon that your friendlist is packed with happy high-level priests ready to jump into action at a wave of your hand.

Be Nice.

Thanks.

Amen, bro.

I levelled up alone on my way to 50. no party, like ever! the only dungeon i ever did that time was wolves cave, the sea stone from iC, and hell of deadly poison. i'm levelled 45 even before entering verta delta, over-levelled because i do everything by my own. without those dungeon, my attack were weak. that's the point when i think i need new weapon, so i go for hell of deadly poison.

Often time i when i was running around i found some people fighting mini-bosses and have their hp almost drained, i heal them first. just a thanks made me feel joyed.

Edited by NiaAdha, 16 May 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#108 Wyntir

Wyntir

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

*facepalm* This reminds me of the the RO1 joke for "PLZ." Where PLZ stood for Priests Love Zeny.

Realistically, people should try playing a healer for once and see how we feel healing people. I've met my fair share of nice people, rude people, ignorant people and overall dimwits. It really isn't fun being a healer when people blame us for everything. I personally feel guilty when people die. I don't need someone berating me about it even more than I beat myself up about it. However, I will not feel guilty if the DPS or tank is so lazy that they won't pay attention to AoE damage or warnings on their screen where they have the chance to avoid it. It is a team game. People shouldn't put all the blame and stress on a class that already has the hardest job. To me, I'm giving it my all as it is.

RO2 is a game guys. We're all here to relax and have fun. We are all players just like everyone else. So please treat everyone with respect and kindness. And show some sort of responsibility for your actions and dedication to your work.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned by believing in having honor. I'd like to think that chivalry isn't dead either...

I can't wait for a res fix, since I personally will let idiots die. I miss that part of RO1 where all it cost me was a bgem to laugh at their corpse.

On another note, this also isnt like WoW, where you get 1 pot per encounter, and on a 2min (or whatever it is now, was 2 when I quit) timer. Dear DPS, Tank, Whoever... You can pot every 10s. As a healer, I tend to use a fair amount of pots since when in a dungeon, people rarely wait for me to get sp and you guys fighting -_-, puts me in combat. They have health, they go! Thankfully as I've leveled my SP has become less of an issue unless I'm intensely healing... My point is, Bring pots. I have to, so do you. On my mage, dpsing, every time I'm in an encounter and an AoE goes off (that I get hit by obviously), I use a pot. Makes life easier on the healer, and happy healers are good healers. Stress them out, and well.. you're gonna have a bad time.

#109 Aeynia

Aeynia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationThe Cradle Of The Mind

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

I can't wait for a res fix, since I personally will let idiots die. I miss that part of RO1 where all it cost me was a bgem to laugh at their corpse.

On another note, this also isnt like WoW, where you get 1 pot per encounter, and on a 2min (or whatever it is now, was 2 when I quit) timer. Dear DPS, Tank, Whoever... You can pot every 10s. As a healer, I tend to use a fair amount of pots since when in a dungeon, people rarely wait for me to get sp and you guys fighting -_-, puts me in combat. They have health, they go! Thankfully as I've leveled my SP has become less of an issue unless I'm intensely healing... My point is, Bring pots. I have to, so do you. On my mage, dpsing, every time I'm in an encounter and an AoE goes off (that I get hit by obviously), I use a pot. Makes life easier on the healer, and happy healers are good healers. Stress them out, and well.. you're gonna have a bad time.

I hope you don't mean that you put points into Wis.. If so, that will likely come back to bite you in the butt.

But I do agree that people need to watch their party's SP usage. As a Sorc, if I'm able to go full DPS in a boss fight, I will likely run out of SP by the end of it. I hate it when they expect me to heal them though trash mobs when I have no SP left.

It's simple though, let your healer and your tank dictate the pace of the dungeon, or else they'll probably hate you and let your ass die.

#110 Atweig

Atweig

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Server:RO2 - Odin

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:07 AM

I've had 3 priests tell me no because they want already full parties to accommodate them

Two different tanks said that to me, when I suggested we start a party. :P
(I'm a priest)

#111 Owlsu

Owlsu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

I feel this way a lot too. But I think it really out later on when the damage from enemies accumulate. Healing is a stressful job and it really helps if the party plays nice. Nothing is worse (at least to me) than having extremely inconsiderate party members who go out of their way to make you feel uncomfortable (ex. running headlong into giant mobs as dps while the priest only has 20% mp remaining after a boss fight then telling them that they suck and they need to heal more).
:p_sick:

The road to 50 really tests people's patience in dealing with others. I feel like a more calloused individual lately...

Tanks are driving me insane.

Every single time a party I'm playing with fails in a dungeon, I swear it's because of the tank - EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

All I've experienced so far is tanks running straight into groups of 10 enemies on their own, shouting at every player, rage quitting, saying they aren't being healed enough, ordering DPS players around and telling them what to attack then complaining they aren't doing it properly, begging everyone for potions because they didn't bring enough, pulling bosses when nobody else is even ready etc.

Of course this doesn't apply to the (Few) decent tanks out there who are both considerate of the other players whilst also knowing their role and playing it well.

Edited by Owlsu, 17 May 2013 - 03:15 AM.

#112 ODKN

ODKN

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Location????, Nebraska

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:18 AM

Tanks are driving me insane.

Every single time a party I'm playing with fails in a dungeon, I swear it's because of the tank - EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

All I've experienced so far is tanks running straight into groups of 10 enemies on their own, shouting at every player, rage quitting, saying they aren't being healed enough, ordering DPS players around and telling them what to attack then complaining they aren't doing it properly, begging everyone for potions because they didn't bring enough, pulling bosses when nobody else is even ready etc.

Of course this doesn't apply to the (Few) decent tanks out there who are both considerate of the other players whilst also knowing their role and playing it well.

Ironically, that's what most wizards/rangers/DPS do to me. <_< One of the wizards even pulled a boss before we took care of the stuff nearby...and I just let him die as his reward. Or that warrior DPS who kept going ahead and leaping in to packs of monsters before we killed the last. He died for his bravado as well. People don't seem to realise that it's impossible to tank 6+ monsters on Hard mode and not expect to die horribly.

Edited by ODKN, 17 May 2013 - 03:20 AM.

#113 Chisami

Chisami

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCali
  • Server:Transcendence (currently)

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

Generalization is strong in this one.

Im priest too, and the only kind of parties i deny are those "oh look, a priest, lets invite him without saying a single word or hi huuheuheuhe"

Please, be kind. We're not robots and we're not there for your benefits only.

Omg, I know, right? Out of 5 party invites, 5 were thrown to me without a word said. WTF?

#114 Wyntir

Wyntir

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

I hope you don't mean that you put points into Wis.. If so, that will likely come back to bite you in the butt.

But I do agree that people need to watch their party's SP usage. As a Sorc, if I'm able to go full DPS in a boss fight, I will likely run out of SP by the end of it. I hate it when they expect me to heal them though trash mobs when I have no SP left.

It's simple though, let your healer and your tank dictate the pace of the dungeon, or else they'll probably hate you and let your ass die.

No I haven't put anything into wis :P I'm full FS though so being able to put more points into talents, etc, has helped I guess. I rarely need to use my stack of SP pots as it is right now, but then again I'm only 40 so we'll see how that works out :P

#115 Rockyx

Rockyx

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationEville
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Lol I play hybrid priest but I'm not a jerk like that. I wander around sometimes and heal random parties and when I'm looking for party, I just sit infront of dungeon and wait for a invite. I also only take loot that matter to me. If I already have something why would need another one for. I agree with the tanking thing only because the aggro in this game gets stupid sometimes and I end up healing myself more often. I can't say the tanks are doing a bad job but they need to really know that they have to spam pots.

Edited by Rockyx, 18 May 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#116 Scott

Scott

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1590 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

When exactly does Priesting become difficult? I rerolled a tank with my friend who went Acolyte so we could get parties easily, and he says Wolf Cave and Izlude Cave were so boring as he was only pressing a single key over and over again to keep people alive.

Does it begin to ramp up at Sea God or something?

That said, it seems to me from experience that players should use potions as if the healer isn't even there, and none of them do. The tanks and DPS are just as responsible to keep themselves alive as they are the healer, and vice versa.

Edited by Scott, 18 May 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#117 Wyntir

Wyntir

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

When exactly does Priesting become difficult? I rerolled a tank with my friend who went Acolyte so we could get parties easily, and he says Wolf Cave and Izlude Cave were so boring as he was only pressing a single key over and over again to keep people alive.

Does it begin to ramp up at Sea God or something?

That said, it seems to me from experience that players should use potions as if the healer isn't even there, and none of them do. The tanks and DPS are just as responsible to keep themselves alive as they are the healer, and vice versa.

Wolf Cave almost put me to sleep as an aco, I was dpsing and healing just for something to do. Izlude Cave, is where healing really starts.

#118 Chocs

Chocs

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

Most of the friends I commune with swap roles often in dungeon parties and we have no trouble covering for each other. Had to point it out after reading all this generalisation of demanding, incompetent tanks and suicidal dps...

That said, it's a great feeling when you know your random party members can communicate with each other; more importantly the tank and healer, both.

Edited by Chocs, 18 May 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#119 Ghostar

Ghostar

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationChucklefish HQ Basement

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

Inb4 everyone makes a Priest then complains that there are no DPS/Tanks.

#120 9112130504034320237

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

Inb4 everyone makes a Priest then complains that there are no DPS/Tanks.

Most people won't have the patience to level a priest, which is why you see less priests the higher level you get. A lot of people reroll.

#121 Tsukura

Tsukura

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

Healing dungeons becomes a lot more difficult starting at Izlude Cave and Sea God. But the real nightmare begins later on in game. But that is to be expected as the higher level you are, the harder it should get. My only gripe is: Who the crap developed a boss that can do two AoE's in a row that can kill everyone, including the tanks, while thinking it was something fair or manageable?

Edited by Tsukura, 19 May 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#122 ODKN

ODKN

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Location????, Nebraska

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

Healing dungeons becomes a lot more difficult starting at Izlude Cave and Sea God. But the real nightmare begins later on in game. But that is to be expected as the higher level you are, the harder it should get. My only gripe is: Who the crap developed a boss that can do two AoE's in a row that can kill everyone, including the tanks, while thinking it was something fair or manageable?

Outside of raids, I don't think this can actually happen. Executor Mesiter only has an AoE and a conal/line skill, so it shouldn't hit everyone...and it won't kill a tank hovering near full.

Edited by ODKN, 19 May 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#123 Tsukura

Tsukura

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

I've seen it happen in a few dungeons. But yes, it mostly happens in raids. And it still doesn't make any sense...

#124 Zhenocnra

Zhenocnra

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

Wolf Cave almost put me to sleep as an aco, I was dpsing and healing just for something to do. Izlude Cave, is where healing really starts.

You got lucky. Some of us have to deal with lazy people who refuse to move from the AoE that Red Scar drops. I tell them if they don't move (on our second Wolf Caves run), I just let them die because the tank has a higher healing priority than the DPS. One of our DPS decided to troll and said no, he wouldn't move. He got owned by the AoE. ;D And he's on my ignore list now. Thankfully he missed out on the loot like a baddie because he respawned and someone looted Red Scar, lol.

He thought it was the weak (not really) poison AoE that General Poporing drops down on you after he transmogrifies you into a Poporing. I had to heal that-_- through that AoE too because he just sat in it. After the first run I just let him get owned by it.

#125 NiaAdha

NiaAdha

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

I've seen it happen in a few dungeons. But yes, it mostly happens in raids. And it still doesn't make any sense...

especially Kiel mk-III.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users