Serious Reevaluation of the Volunteer Mod Program - Page 3 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Serious Reevaluation of the Volunteer Mod Program

• Please log in to reply
518 replies to this topic

#51 OniichanN

OniichanN

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1812 posts
  • LocationCroatia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:30 PM

Semi related to the topic I guess. Why don't we have a 18+ section of the forum where we can fool around with all the innuendos and what not? Since those kind of threads usually are the problem from what I see. You could have the age requirement pulled from the account info.

#52 Vehona

Vehona

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:30 PM

So, I agree with ZeroT, when she says that people consider the moderators as the representatives of WP.

That's pretty much what I thought until now, I didn't have an idea of such system being operated here with separate anonymous accounts and voluntary statuses (ok, not really about voluntary part but I didn't give much thought on it, I expected it to be partly paid or something like this), so I agree with that. 

#53 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:34 PM

Semi related to the topic I guess. Why don't we have a 18+ section of the forum where we can fool around with all the innuendos and what not? Since those kind of threads usually are the problem from what I see. You could have the age requirement pulled from the account info.

There's an Off-Topic section, feel free to innuendo all over that.

#54 Daray

Daray

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1019 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:35 PM

The official RO forum is serious business.

Volunteer moderators are a touchy subject on any website. It is hard to keep them in check when the staff and allotted time to supervise them is limited. Don't forget that Mods & Staff are people too. The hours in a day are limited, but by the looks of recent affairs on the forum the amount of poor posts are infinite.

edit:
I'd like to point out that hoders gonna hode, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Edited by Daray, 04 April 2015 - 09:36 PM.

#55 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:35 PM

go to sleep guys i can't stay up any longer to follow this thread :3

#56 OniichanN

OniichanN

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1812 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:36 PM

There's an Off-Topic section, feel free to innuendo all over that.

Doesn't that have the no 18+ content allowed rule too tho?

EDIT:

@Necro

lel, I just woke up, Happy Easter. :>

Edited by OniichanN, 04 April 2015 - 09:37 PM.

#57 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:42 PM

The official RO forum is serious business.

Volunteer moderators are a touchy subject on any website. It is hard to keep them in check when the staff and allotted time to supervise them is limited. Don't forget that Mods & Staff are people too. The hours in a day are limited, but by the looks of recent affairs on the forum the amount of poor posts are infinite.

So what, the CMs should allow the VMs to continue to make them look bad and walk over any moderator guidelines they have set in place?

Doesn't that have the no 18+ content allowed rule too tho?

You've obviously have never been to the Off Topic section.

#58 beaupoem

beaupoem

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4239 posts
  • LocationMora

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:46 PM

guys, we can report the VMods too!

If a moderator is reported via the report button he / she is explicitly hands off in handling the topic / post and it must be handled by another moderator or community manager.

also:

The color of “red” shall be used to distinguish between moderator voice vs player voice.
  1. Rulings, warnings, etc shall appear in red.
  2. Player opinions will NOT be posted in red.

Moderator voice shall contain no opinionated statements and is also subject to the rules of the forum itself.

the bolded parts pretty much mean mods should ALWAYS be in red mod voice. i remember someone using their VM account to post random things and thinking they should have used their regular forum account for that. will be reporting those posts in the future.

#59 belenoi

belenoi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:53 PM

Well, for once I'll be on mods side. xD I have many porblems with this game, with GMs, developers. And I always thought of forums as of places where you can post your complaints. And on iro forums I never had any problems with that. It's sad if they are abusing their power, but I saw game forums, where moderation was FAR worse. And comunity here is quite negative lately (or ever), so if won't do anything there will be total chaos her. For same reason I don't think they should reveal their names. It's quite... dangerous.

#60 beaupoem

beaupoem

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4239 posts
  • LocationMora

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:58 PM

semi off-topic:

does this remind anyone of Marvel's civil war? registration vs. anti-registration and either unmasking yourself or stepping down?

(Marvel nerd and leader of X-Men guild here...)

#61 VModCoffee

VModCoffee

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:59 PM

Curious, what do the current VMods feel about the removal of VMod accounts? If we're going to take the community's considerations into account, VMs should voice their side of the story as well.

I wouldn't be against this, though ultimately it is up to the admins and I will do whatever they see fit. I have always encouraged people to PM me if they have a problem with the way I do things. You have done this yourself with me, and we solved it with a happy ending or so I would like to think. Just because I speak to someone in red text does not disqualify them from my empathy or protection. I do not hate anyone. Even if I did, disliking someone is not an excuse to treat them poorly. That is what professionalism is: looking beyond your personal biases (which we all have, and that is OK!) and doing the right thing regardless of your personal feelings. To some extent I have to follow my gut instead of making the easy decision which could make me unpopular, so feelings have *some* relevance, but at the end of the day it's about looking at things objectively. That is what I personally think is the mark of a good mod and what I strive to be.

#62 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:04 PM

<>

hopefully the mod will delete you

Edited by VModCoffee, 04 April 2015 - 10:07 PM.

#63 OniichanN

OniichanN

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1812 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:05 PM

You've obviously have never been to the Off Topic section.

Well yeah, only 2 or 3 threads were moved there which were interesting. The rest get deleted.

#64 VModCoffee

VModCoffee

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:09 PM

On that note, constructive criticism is welcome! But cursing and abusive behavior will earn you a one way ticket to mod queue. :)

Edited by VModCoffee, 04 April 2015 - 10:10 PM.
>.>"

#65 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

queue^

#66 hoikarnage

hoikarnage

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1876 posts

I've never been to the off topic section either. Is it really some sort of paradise for immature people like me who seem to upset everyone every time I make a post?

#67 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:10 PM

I wouldn't be against this, though ultimately it is up to the admins and I will do whatever they see fit. I have always encouraged people to PM me if they have a problem with the way I do things. You have done this yourself with me, and we solved it with a happy ending or so I would like to think. Just because I speak to someone in red text does not disqualify them from my empathy or protection. I do not hate anyone. Even if I did, disliking someone is not an excuse to treat them poorly. That is what professionalism is: looking beyond your personal biases (which we all have, and that is OK!) and doing the right thing regardless of your personal feelings. To some extent I have to follow my gut instead of making the easy decision which could make me unpopular, so feelings have *some* relevance, but at the end of the day it's about looking at things objectively. That is what I personally think is the mark of a good mod and what I strive to be.

I thank you for your response and also agree with your viewpoint on what makes a good mod. What worries me more about the current program as it is now is the lack of checks and balances coming from the those above the VMods. There is no countermeasure in place for VMods that go on a power trip and I feel bringing back the transparency the VMod program originally had would alleviate that.

#68 VModCoffee

VModCoffee

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:14 PM

I thank you for your response and also agree with your viewpoint on what makes a good mod. What worries me more about the current program as it is now is the lack of checks and balances coming from the those above the VMods. There is no countermeasure in place for VMods that go on a power trip and I feel bringing back the transparency the VMod program originally had would alleviate that.

You're welcome. I usually avoid those types of posts and just stick to regular modding, so I feel pretty out there.

As far as the issues, those are things I feel like only Oda can address or should comment on. I will only say that I am not against it. It would not be right for me to publicly comment on other mods behavior, as I am not a true authority and I feel that it is not my place.

#69 Astralslayer

Astralslayer

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationFar Far away~~

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:21 PM

Honestly, I'm sleepy and I didn't read most of the topic lol. But from my experiences in other forums, the most "transparent" way to pick moderators is with a poll where every player can vote for any candidate. I'm not sure if this forum's plataform could allow It. Let me try an example:

Thread #1 By Oda/Campitor

Now the season to be candidate for VMod is up (could be idk, 3 days for time limit?)

People who wanted to be mod (at the end of the thread)

-Potato-Kun

-Avocado-Senpai

-Nasty-Pear

-sh!tposting

-sh!tposting

-Banana-Sama

-sh!tposting

-sh!tposting

-sh!tposting

-Milky-Cow

-sh!tposting

After the event period, a Thread with a poll could be created with only the people that wanted to be a VMod (TEMPORAL mod). If It's not possible, a GM could make a Thread with X posts (in this example 5 candidates) with 1 different name each (1 post = 1 candidate) locked and pinned and every member on forums can upvote a post. (since you can see who upvoted wich post). Only people with idk, 100 posts or 2 months can be considered a valid vote, and one person voting twice or more won't be considered either.

tl:dr

Let us decide who deserves to be a VMod, It will make it way easier for everyone, because we know who's helpful and who's just an useless troll

#70 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:22 PM

I've been told by Oda several times that if I have grievances with a VMod I should not PM them or associate with them in any way, because Mod Guidelines state that they are not allowed to respond to such PMs, and go straight to him instead. Thoughts?

Edited by AlmrOfAtlas, 04 April 2015 - 10:22 PM.

#71 VModCoffee

VModCoffee

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:24 PM

I've been told by Oda several times that if I have grievances with a VMod I should not PM them or associate with them in any way, because Mod Guidelines state that they are not allowed to respond to such PMs, and go straight to him instead. Thoughts?

I think if it is a personal problem and you feel threatened, then definitely go to Oda. Power tripping, any thing of that sort.

But if it is something small like moving a thread that you would prefer to stay in community chat, then it is fine to approach me for it.

#72 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:25 PM

Can you unban my new friend I wanted to talk to him more

But seriously, first time I questioned a mods actions and they were like "got problem talk to oda" I was like "wtf how rude qq"

#73 leiand

leiand

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2070 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:29 PM

Mods are nice...

But we needs their work not only here, but ingame.

The series of protected bots is getting too outta hand.

#74 VModCoffee

VModCoffee

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:29 PM

The problem with polls and voting is it often ends up being skewed. Remember the MMO bomb contest (someone botted the polls and got Ragnarok disqualified)? Popularity contests can create problems of their own, and I don't think being popular on a forum necessarily equals a good moderator.

#75 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:30 PM

Let us decide who deserves to be a VMod, It will make it way easier for everyone, because we know who's helpful and who's just an useless troll

That idea would be nice if it didn't just mean it'd become a popularity contest. There are people who are "well known" in the community who aren't necessarily helpful but would get voted in based on friends, meanwhile there are more quiet users who might be good for the job who'd get overlooked because they don't stick out quite as much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users