Legitimized Autopot - Page 24 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 14 votes

Legitimized Autopot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
649 replies to this topic

#576 kingarthur6687

kingarthur6687

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO Chaos Renewal

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

Security through obscurity is almost never the answer, there are plenty of people who would come to RO just to break the security on the client for fun and ego. I participated in a national cyber security contest not too long ago and one of the challenges was to break a binary obfuscation very similar to what you've described, I managed to complete it in about 15 minutes and I'm sure many other people got it even faster.

TIL there's more to Section 9 than just Inu and Ren.

#577 WarlockFier

WarlockFier

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Silph Road

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

TIL there's more to Section 9 than just Inu and Ren.

Kingarthur, I'm fairly certain Inu and Ren tried their best to figure out ways to combat illegitimate activities on the server. The only thing I wish for is that they'd never help WP develop in house autopot.

And WP cannot afford to hire highend PHD level programmers. Sadly, that's that. I work with PHD level programmers at work myself that has done major work, and I've seen them spent weeks tackling down bugs. They are massively overworked. For something of this caliber I am pretty sure it's not going to be that easy, but also that doesn't means there's no alternatives.

#578 needmorezleep

needmorezleep

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1013 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:28 PM

well with camp having some users from the more high tier guilds in the pserver scene on skype its very safe to say if classic gets a legal autopot its going to be very high quality cant say the same for renewal though since no one bothers with clients past 2011 anymore

#579 kingarthur6687

kingarthur6687

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos Renewal

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:28 PM

I was actually truly unaware there were other people in S9 besides Inu and Ren, was just voicing my surprise on that.

#580 Thyrial

Thyrial

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:32 PM

in b4 "replace hp display with captcha image"

ROFL.... now THAT'S thinking outside the box ;P Is it sad that that suggestion wouldn't surprise me?

#581 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

I was actually truly unaware there were other people in S9 besides Inu and Ren, was just voicing my surprise on that.

Recently added him because he approached me with some of the very stuff you just read pertaining to some weaknesses in a few NPCs that could *if done properly* dup certain items and luckily we put a stop to it with a bonus the ones that did use it got a nuke properly shoved in the unmentionables.

#582 Dreimdal

Dreimdal

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:01 PM

Have not read the whole thread (too many pages), but my thoughts are, while I'd prefer there not be legitimized auto-potting, if it is an inevitable outcome that is to happen regardless, then  I'd hope for a cooldown on healing items. Perhaps even a different cooldown based on the healing effectiveness of each item. But let's just say, as an example, in the case of ranked condensed white potions, maybe 50 milliseconds as the cooldown. At 20 slims per second, that seems to be a reasonable limit.

It should not be difficult to set up a server-side limitation on restorative items per second (isn't this already in place for yggdrasil seeds and berries?), so a cooldown should be implementable with very little difficulty on other restorative items as well.

And for the so-called "immortals" in WoE and/or PvP, such as shadow chasers or royal guards or whatnot, one need only to use teamwork to take them down. As an example, properly used Bellum Katzbalger and Bellum Flail can end even auto-potters.

#583 Ambur

Ambur

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3403 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:33 PM

I think she's (Ambur) saying if they legalize AP, they'll lose a horribly large amount of WoE population on renewal.

Yeah, I guess I worded it confusing. x)

I think both ways legalizing it and getting more ban hammer happy (while having certain users who are "immune" to punishment) will have the same effect. I'm not sure of what % on Renewal/Classic uses AP but I know it's a good deal of people.

It'd be awesome if there was a non-bias system to use the 3 strike system or even something that scales (eg. +7 days added to previous temp ban, starting at 3days, eventually ending as a perma ban after so many offenses). But that's hard to come by when they also want to maintain good customer support to those who have put a lot of money into the game, which I can't imagine they can afford to lose some of those users at this time.

A lot of factors involved make it hard to think up a great system for it. :(

@OP - My overall stance on AP is that I don't like it, been there & done that, I find it makes RO (and other games in general) massively boring - I never cared about statements like "If the opponents are gonna use it, I better" since that's untrue. By choice I never used it even when I knew, with some obvious cases, I was facing it. But, I've argued with a lot of people about it over the years and still just remain on the fence if it's really bad or good or neither. I agree with a lot of points on each side of the argument so far.

Edit: Fixed grammar kinda. I'm derpy & suck with words.

Edited by Ambur, 25 June 2015 - 06:35 PM.

#584 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:38 PM

Please go back and read posts of myself, ren, needmorezleep and Nyuu before you respond again please ~_~

I'll post when I want, despite any nonsensical condescending thing you say.

#585 davdbg

davdbg

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 691 posts
  • Server:chaos and classic(?)

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:13 PM

I don't WoE or PVP... soo I dont care for AP in those aspects of the game, better tell me what it's really important:
How do this affect CUTE HATS ONLINE?

#586 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:55 PM

You skipped all the posts say "no" and just posted "yes"

#587 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:06 PM

I heavily suspect you didn't read or understand my previous posts or you wouldn't be sputtering such nonsense.

#588 jokeserewrwer

jokeserewrwer

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:22 PM

Cooldown on pots is fine as long as it's lower than what's humanly possible (15 per sec?).

Legalizing AP would help everyone playing by the rules, keeping it illegal will hurt those playing by the rules as it has been for years.

#589 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:22 PM

I heavily suspect you didn't read or understand my previous posts or you wouldn't be sputtering such nonsense.

For context!

@encrypting memory
Sure you can!
Do it the analog way.
Cipher the data.

Split hp into 2 addresses where the first has an arbitrary cap, and wish people the best of luck figuring out where hp is stored.

I doubt this would happen ... RO isn't as popular as we'd like.

You proposed something and were then told it wouldn't work. Then you said RO isn't popular despite the fact that it both is (these progs aren't coming out of nowhere and the pserver scene is still kicking), and people would get around the obfuscation for lulz anyway. Then you responded to a post where Inu told you to read previous responses with "I'll post when I want" which makes not even a bit of sense.

#590 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:25 PM

I'm almost positive you didn't read anything WE said otherwise you wouldn't regurgitate the same thing expecting a different answer.

#591 jokeserewrwer

jokeserewrwer

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:42 PM

How was classic woe last weekend??

Putting so much attention towards AP is a joke when you consider the real issues iro has. It's like someone's heart is going to stop beating and you're focusing on their broken wrist.

Edited by jokeserewrwer, 25 June 2015 - 08:46 PM.

#592 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:06 PM

How was classic woe last weekend??

Putting so much attention towards AP is a joke when you consider the real issues iro has. It's like someone's heart is going to stop beating and you're focusing on their broken wrist.

We learned that 2~3 people not wanting to play vs autopotters can drop the population by 60+, if that was your concern.

But the small scale stuff was fun too, as not everyone is into the super cereal gvg

#593 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3959 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:40 AM

God don't tell me this is gonna turn RO into one of the MMO's of today, with the 1 minute global cooldown on any HP/SP restorative and everyone gets a manditory 2 second global cooldown when using any skill they possess.

Because RO just can't work like that if it ever happens.

I will await to see what is going to happen when further discussion happens..............

#594 THBronx

THBronx

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • LocationJapan
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:07 AM

The "official" topic is now open for replies. Please, put your thoughts there too: http://forums.warppo...cussion-thread/

Edited by THBronx, 26 June 2015 - 02:07 AM.

#595 Mischelle

Mischelle

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:08 AM

For context!

hen you said RO isn't popular despite the fact that it both is (these progs aren't coming out of nowhere and the pserver scene is still kicking),

You do understand that the pserver scene is still kicking because private servers use athena, which at this point far surpasses the official server software, right?

Like, the open source emulator has a fix for nodelay, for example.

Also, they offer fresh mechanics like faction system, or world pvp, but mostly it is because they use a better server.

#596 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:14 AM

For context!

You proposed something and were then told it wouldn't work. Then you said RO isn't popular despite the fact that it both is (these progs aren't coming out of nowhere and the pserver scene is still kicking), and people would get around the obfuscation for lulz anyway. Then you responded to a post where Inu told you to read previous responses with "I'll post when I want" which makes not even a bit of sense.

Wrong. He said it would be cracked quickly because it would invite people from every corner of the cracking community to come out of the woodwork to crack this barely surviving old game that flies under 99% of the gamer community's radar. Basically he implied the challenge/opportunity to crack something guarantees massive interest in doing so. Respectfully, I disagree with that point. Thats all I said.

Then inu basically said I can't post until I check with her or dufus #2 or #3 first and I shut that nonsense down

Go back to hamburger school.

Edited by Jaye, 26 June 2015 - 11:20 AM.

#597 ShoLin

ShoLin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2107 posts
  • Server:Quit

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:16 AM

You do understand that the pserver scene is still kicking because private servers use athena, which at this point far surpasses the official server software, right?

Like, the open source emulator has a fix for nodelay, for example.

Also, they offer fresh mechanics like faction system, or world pvp, but mostly it is because they use a better server.

They have devs that can do what ever their imagination can conceive. iRO has to go to daddy and ask to fix his stuff.

#598 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:19 AM

The popularity of pservers has nothing to do with the security of iro, though, as their tools are for breaking into eathena, not the official servers.

#599 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

Wrong. He said it would be cracked quickly because it would invite people from every corner of the cracking community to come out of the woodwork to crack this barely surviving old game that flies under 99% of the gamer community's radar. Basically he implied the challenge/opportunity to crack something guarantees massive interest in doing so. Respectfully, I disagree with that point. Thats all I said.

Then inu basically said I can't post until I check with her or dufus #2 or #3 first and I shut that nonsense down

Go back to hamburger school.

Well your highness when you do this:

...you kinda have it coming.  Also you forgot dufus #4 Nyuu, he would like to be noticed too senpai.

Anyways for my next trick I'd love to see where I said you couldn't post, I just said you should reread what was posted.

I don't see any of that here.

I'm almost positive you didn't read anything WE said otherwise you wouldn't regurgitate the same thing expecting a different answer.

You skipped all the posts say "no" and just posted "yes"

Recently added him because he approached me with some of the very stuff you just read pertaining to some weaknesses in a few NPCs that could *if done properly* dup certain items and luckily we put a stop to it with a bonus the ones that did use it got a nuke properly shoved in the unmentionables.

Please go back and read posts of myself, ren, needmorezleep and Nyuu before you respond again please 

Edited by Inubashiri, 26 June 2015 - 11:48 AM.

#600 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

You got burned for being a dorkus, let it go already and stop QQing about how you want to be cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users