Classic Future Thread 5-20 - Page 2 - Classic Foundry - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Classic Future Thread 5-20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
123 replies to this topic

#26 Faolain

Faolain

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:All

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:47 PM

I would like to see something goal-based for the endgame players that already have everything. An instance perhaps, with some specially scripted MVPs and trash mobs that drop lucrative loot. To encourage PVE and PVP player partying up together, come up with a way that people can choose if they want pvp-oriented rewards or pve oriented rewards (this might be hard to script though so the prizes should at least be desirable by both groups), so the two groups have to work together to attain their goal. I like a lot of the suggestions above such as nightmare mode, maybe work this concept of rewarding people based on what they want into some of those. Nothing game-breaking though. We have enough game-breaking stuff. My main idea is a full-party raid sort of thing where certain skills aren't allowed to be used (such as assumptio) which forces players to strategize instead of just guillotine fist/acid bomb zerging the thing like people do now with most MVPs. Maybe completing one difficulty of this sort of concept unlocks harder difficulties where HP, defense, and damage of the enemies gets boosted.

I'd like some long and involved questlines a la the Sign but with less tedious item hunting and more story-related content that can be done solo or in a group by any class including supports. Maybe let the players write them. Hell, maybe hold a contest for it. That would be fun and get the community involved. 

I'd like to see the GM team (not just the big-names, heck give me iRO GM 42) actually active and engaging with the community in-game, holding small events (ie hide and seek?) and giving us something to do. The prizes needn't even be anything spectacular, hell it could be an OBB for all I care as long as it's something to do.

#27 Ecclesio

Ecclesio

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:43 AM

Getting new players and helping make them want to stay should be priority, however I echo Themes' sentiment that whatever you do it needs to not be some broken, bugged, half-assed implementation. And given what you all have produced so far I do not think you will be able to do it. Sorry. 

You may want to consider options for what might happen if Classic were to close in the  future -- would you all offer to transfer characters to renewal for those that are interested? 

#28 Tribe

Tribe

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 728 posts
  • Server:Freya

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:44 AM

I clean start, yes a full wipe of Classic.

It will bring back millions of players and remove the power creep that some people complain about.

And a god item system where there is only a set number of each, and new creations cause the oldest item to be removed.

#29 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:53 AM

Crossover goals so veterans have to play with/help newer players by providing party atmosphere and social aspects.

e.g: mining type quests randomly spawning in asgard, GSB in Turn in, other goals in TI maybe?!

Also consider testing alliance friendly fire in WoE - spread the power so we don't have a repeat of GFY.

Reward individual guild play... maybe something like WPS!

#30 maelstorm123

maelstorm123

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:17 AM

I also dont believe that you can fix anything after this point. I would like to have a transfer to renewal as well or a server wipe. If you will wipe the server I have no problem with losing all my stuff. You broke so many things trying to fix the problems. It shouldnt be our job to try to recruit so many people for a game when the management team is trying too hard to make them leave.

Please give us a transfer to Renewal or wipe the server !

#31 squirreI

squirreI

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

Platinum shield script is correct (implemented as intended). I might agree it's broken (OP/dumb) though, but I do think it keeps wizards in check. So I personally do not have a problem with it, but I think the server's pretty unanimous for this issue.

I think the only thing that may not have been intended is how damage is transferred by sac. 1 sac paladin essentially creates 5 platinum shield wearers, without the sac targets actually wearing platinum shields.

#32 Rayea

Rayea

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:23 AM

Platinum shield activation rate is at less than 1% on other official versions. With testing in regards to sacrifice usage a reduction in the rate would make sense.

#33 Jayalphy

Jayalphy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:19 AM

Check the dupe's and remove all the mvp cards/mini mvp's/god's that were brought in the server.

Stop taking suggestion from players for lucky box and spotlights. DO it from your end and don't be repetitive.

Put in quests that cannot be exploited and makes it interesting to play ro.

Classic specific forum and Classic specific DB which has all the drop updates.

Promotions from your end rather than from players end.

Classic needs attention as well, not just renewal.

Classic is Dying yo, do something before its too late.

#34 Shomaye

Shomaye

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Server:Gorilla Poker

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:02 PM

Some good posts in this thread. I think the most important point is that the next goal chosen for classic must be achievable, because it has to be achieved.  We understand Classic can only have a certain percentage of your overall effort.  Decide how much this is and choose goals/devote time accordingly.  Break the cycle of quarterly band-aid threads (you can!).

1. More positive staff interaction.     (Staff members are human.  Reach out to players (also human) when there is an issue. Also, everyone is nicer in pm)

2. Try to balance attention between new and old players.     (Janeway update vs. WoeBg/Event woes is a good example)

3. Keep us updated, even if you don't think its important.  If an idea is abandoned, let us know.  If you don't make much progress on something, etc.

4. Patch notes. (Post them).  When patch notes are posted after maintenance it says, "we made this up with 10 minutes of maint left".  Did you? :|

5. Use a spreadsheet for tracking Lucky Box contents.  Normalize the hype/value between boxes and have a general formula to build from (eg. Op headgear or midgear, cute headgear, 2x consumable, +Oda's choice)  Taking the last 5 suggestions from the suggestion thread and adding mental potions is not proactive.  This would let you make boxes in advance(!) and also prepare Boxter updates in advance (!!).

6.  Work with what you have, and don't void previous efforts.  Someone brought up Nightmare Mode dungeons, this sounds awesome and is more manageable than solo-writing new content.  On the other hand, a lot of work was done on classic previously to rebalance low level zones, but then Janeway was put in and didn't send players to any of these places.

7. Players still get excited when they see a GM sprite.  It's pathetic.  Use this to your advantage and log into Prontera/Asgard once in a while.  Just make a joke about a fellow staff member or some new game that was released recently and maybe do a 15 minute event.  It won't make a difference, but what's the hurt?

#35 Ramses

Ramses

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:37 PM

Classic specific forum and Classic specific DB which has all the drop updates.

There is a thing the staff fails at understanding. Renewal and classic are 2 completely different games, the mechanics are too different as to be treated as if they were the same game. If you think carefully you'll understand why we want our own section on the forums(not just the patch notes).

Advertising is, as of now, a really cheap thing if you do it properly, Twitch is a strong tool to bring on players. Why not give something to people that stream and promote our servers?. A referral system would be awesome, giving them some harmless items to giveaway is also good, reward the people helping to promote our servers!!.

EDIT: iRO loki classic is not classic, take the "classic" out of the server please.

EDIT2: disable plat shield effect during woe if you can't fix it.

Edited by Ramses, 22 May 2016 - 09:26 PM.

#36 teresias

teresias

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationWest Prontera / Geffen
  • Server:Loki / Chaos / Odin

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:14 PM

RE: Castle treasures, is it possible to remove Shield[1] as well to be replaced by something more useful?

#37 1756492860

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:17 AM

Wipe and relaunch Classic.

I know those who own all the godly and rare gears will be against this suggestion like always, but it's either we all start fresh with at least 5x this server's current population or the remaining players can continue playing with the 300ish "users" including bots and dual client-ed alts. Don't get me wrong, it's not about not wanting to compete with well-geared and well-supplied players. I mean I personally don't mind working my way up to reach their level, else I wouldn't have joined renewal. Really, it's about not wanting to invest time and money on a server that's already on its knees. I and many others will not shell out $$ and spend time just to have a poor gaming experience. The damage has been done and no matter what "fixes" you implement you won't be able to attract us (former players who quit) back to the server. If you think you can undo the negative effects of all the stupid things you've implemented in the past then you're sorely mistaken.

#38 maelstorm123

maelstorm123

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:46 AM

How about making a system so that the server gets zeny/ equip/character reset each 6 months (or in any other time interval). The only equipment to be kept could be the godlike items made by the guilds. By doing this the damage done to people who worked hard for the godlikes might be minimized. The problem with dupes might also be kind of solved with this system and it would give everyone to hop in later and have motivation to work hard for woe. It is just an idea and I think this could be worked on and become a real nice project!

#39 needmorezleep

needmorezleep

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1013 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:16 AM

the card hunt is going to make equip resets a massive no for many people

#40 1756492860

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:16 AM

How about making a system so that the server gets zeny/ equip/character reset each 6 months (or in any other time interval)

I don't think that would work. Permanence is one of the things that set classic apart from pservers. I'm only for a wipe in this case because classic at its current state cannot be saved anymore

Edited by 1756492860, 23 May 2016 - 01:17 AM.

#41 maelstorm123

maelstorm123

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:40 AM

the card hunt is going to make equip resets a massive no for many people

It is just an idea to be discussed. The card hunt problem could be solved with increasing the drop rate for the cards. There could even be like a season system where the seasons best guild could get prizes etc. It is not like there are thousands of people hunting cards right now :D There might be a limit what people can keep etc. But I didn't make a master plan. Just wrote the idea that came in to my mind for a second. Tried to think of a way where it is fair for everyone. A total server wipe is also good but people who worked hard for years will not like this. In the end we are with 300 people in the server. No new quest, dungeon, instance is suddenly going to bring 500+ people to server. Lets be realistic here...

#42 Xandyzor

Xandyzor

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBrazil
  • Server:Ragnarok Transcendence

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:22 AM

You need to find a way to localize and delete the Duppe Items.

bRO, every week, in your maintenance, search Duppe items ans delete it. I dont know if they have some tool but, as i see, is efficient.

If you see in that website, They dont have any kind of item selling in bRO. So have a way...

Doing this, fix much of the problem...

#43 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:12 AM

We can talk about Classic specific fansites as a community. Right now assuming that Warpportal do not have the time or manpower to run their own database.

We have iROwiki, both DB and wiki. Community members can and do update it. I dropped off the database team a while back but it's easy enough for me to get access again. And I'm willing to help make sure the database is correct given the following:

• The staff provide item and item script data with each patch they are put in with.
  • We have a thread on the official forums here for tracking and reporting needed database edits and updates

I'm not the only one to do this, themes has db access too iirc, but I'm sure that I'm not alone in feeling that the effort is wasted on a server that appears to be dying, where the players are doing as much (if not more) work as the staff to keep it alive and the community are well.... allowed to be terrible people to those who work hard to keep the game and data available for everyone.

Once upon a time I worked on ROclassic.net as a dedicated db for this server, but it's really hard to feel motivated when the whole server, including the staff now, it seems are only interested in punishing/driving your guild out for playing the game. Yes, guess what? I'm mad about the god items. Not so much MVPs, but WoE 1.0 God Items, in theory, should not be able to be duped and take extortionate amounts of effort to create.

I am aware there is a discrepancy in the distribution of god items. How could I not be? I created most of them and it was hell. A fun kind of rewarding hell, but not the kind of hell you forget. There are so many completed sets on this server and nothing is stopping people from making them other than ... not wanting to play. I am not trying to be rude here or anything, but from the view point of Valhalla, the god items and their creation were part of the game. The criteria to do it was laid out before us and we did it.

Now, I also get that sort of high end achievement is not the kind of gameplay everyone wants. The server (like all games) requires a variety of player types to feed eachother and motivate. Whilst I'm running around achieving the creation of god items, that motivates people with a pvp hard-on to come kill me and stop me. They motivate me to fight back. That creates desire to fight and reasons to KEEP fighting. Not everyone will or should fall into this achiever/killer category, but if you take away the purpose for achieving long term goals, then the server is going to become dependent on the killer players coming from their pservers at the same time and it's a vicious cycle.

So why did I bring that up? It's hard not to take it personally when the community is allowed to attack and criticize you for playing the game and reaching for the goals that are set out before you. Then seemingly on a whim with no warning, the staff agree and try to drive you and your group out. Maybe that's not the case, but that's how it FEELS.

With that in mind, why would I want to work on the wiki/db? Nevermind the ongoing harassment which has been a point of contention between myself and the staff for a long time.

If you guys want all this stuff, working dbs, stat calcs, events, etc, someone has to make / do them. And you may not like that person and they may not be on your side in WoE. But respect would be a fine thing - I'm not just talking about the community here, the staff has long treated it's volunteers and MVPS in a terrible way for far too long... there's a reason they all leave.

And as one of those people I'll tell you, it's more about the staff. It takes all types to make a community, everyone who works in running and engaging online communities know there are always people you won't get along with or agree with you, but it only takes one type of staff. A fair, consistent one.

I'm not asking for the staff to sing the praises of players who work hard for them, sure, vip time or a cool hat would be nice. A little appreciation rather than outright humiliation would make a huge difference. Also attempting to help us help you, it would go so far.

That's my rant about classic and how I think it could improve anyway and maybe why nobody wants to help it, take it or leave it - it's not intended as an attack on anyone, it's anger at a systematic problem -  I have as much right to be salty or upset at the way things are as anyone else and to express those too.

#44 rockymom

rockymom

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Server:Renewal, Classic

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

I would love to see several of these ideas and issues that people have mentioned be addressed in a positive manner. Camp keeping a daily eye on this thread has made it a positive thing to read and has allowed people to freely express their opinions and ideas without someone with an agenda coming in and crapping all over it. The overt bullying and drama has mostly driven me back to Renewal as there I can just play the game with friends and not have to deal with crap just because of what guild I am in or who I consider to be friends.

Seeing GM's in-game more often would be fun. Way back in the day it was a lot more common to see them in town, or randomly popping into maps.

Getting rid of duped and RMT items and players, even though it would decrease the server population would be ideal. That would let the rest of us know that the staff is serious about keeping the game fun and fair.

Something that can help pair up higher level players with new players to help them learn about the game and help them level would be fun. Again, back in the day my BF and I would hop on a Paladin and Priestess team to collect small parties of low level players to give them a boost.

Staff bias needs to be kept in check, whether it's a WP employee or a forum moderator. Equal treatment regardless of how long someone has played or participated in the forums shouldn't matter. If someone is being a bully or a jerk, they need a time out.

#45 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:20 PM

So why did I bring that up? It's hard not to take it personally when the community is allowed to attack and criticize you for playing the game and reaching for the goals that are set out before you. Then seemingly on a whim with no warning, the staff agree and try to drive you and your group out. Maybe that's not the case, but that's how it FEELS.

With that in mind, why would I want to work on the wiki/db? Nevermind the ongoing harassment which has been a point of contention between myself and the staff for a long time.

Xellie, this part of your post is very borderline against the intentions of this thread. I am not going to edit it out but as this is brought up constantly I will comment on it.

1. At no point have we been okay with your getting Harassed. When users were posting pictures of you we shut it down as soon as we saw it, all that BS having to do with horses we removed, when you were getting harassed in game by that user pming you pictures of your self we suspended them and once we were able to tie it to a single user they were removed from the community. At no point have we ever been okay with harassment.

2. Players posting snide or ill mannered comments about you we do have a harder track record noticing and I will be honest; it is because we get a ton of it ourselves. Our minds aren't keyed to react to those same words that players throw at Oda, Cinnamon, or myself. This means we just skip them when reading and don't really notice when they are thrown at other people. That doesn't mean its okay, but it is something we are working on.

3. But Criticism? That is not a bad thing in and of itself. A simple disagreement with you, without name calling, belittling, or other dehumanizing comments is not against the rules and should never be handled by us, should not be censored, but encouraged. Of course this all ties back into #2 where we need to start noticing such dehumanizing comments again.

But this all goes both ways. We have had long talks about how certain members of the community/staff were/are being treated by your guild members. I would remind Valhalla that "An Eye for an Eye" only means we will all soon be blind.

This should be the last post bringing up this subject. If you want to discuss with in more detail we can talk some more on Skype or PM however I will be removing future posts about "The Staff does nothing about harassment". I also expect other members of this community to respect that this should be the last post on this subject, should you be the subject of harassment no matter how minor this thread: https://forums.warpp...nt-please-read/ covers how to report it, and get the staff to deal with out.

#46 ClickyHpen

ClickyHpen

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Locationtwitch.tv/chpenn

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:32 PM

i'm really interested to see what you're on about with that woe-type BG. maybe you could have a woe 1 emp room and people just spawn in offense/defense at the entrance and near the emp respectively? that'd promote gvging sorta but at the same time would be hampered kinda by randomization. would have to deal with spawn camping somehow, since if defense pushed all the way out then there'd be no real way to get through that. it'd take some tinkering, but if this is what you're going for i'm totes down (if bgs run before i have to go to bed at old people times)

or does this just mean a bg with woe restrictions? i'm not even sure what the current bg ones are (if any) so this would be fine too but less exciting imo. maybe grab one emp room from each realm, random one each bg? i dunno, but the emp breaker in me likes it.

#47 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:33 PM

look up conquest

@Campitor; you misunderstand : I am talking about attacks/game changes against our player type (Achievers) rather than personal attacks. To be mocked or talked down for actually playing the game seems silly when that is what people are wanted to be doing, right?

Edited by Xellie, 23 May 2016 - 12:51 PM.

#48 Faolain

Faolain

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:All

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:24 PM

Xellie has a point there; there are numerous times I've seen, just throwing out a random example from noone in particular, people very viciously attacking WoE players for "ruining the game" despite the fact that many WoE players want to make things fun for PvE players too (so they have a reason to participate in that as well). Just in the last few weeks I've read achievement-oriented players be called trash and everything that's wrong with the game, among other, more degrading things. I see this often addressed toward those who have "more" and work for "more", which are the type of players Xellie is talking about: the people who see a goal and decide to go for it (which, again, circles back to most WoE players).

That's not to say some WoE players aren't the same way to PvE players, but I do think it's something that needs to be fairly addressed and circles back to the need for events and activities that foster communication and teamwork between different types of players, which the game at this time doesn't have and for years hasn't really been geared to address for as long as I can remember.

Though considering it's a feud that's as old as RO has existed, the solution may not be so cut and dry. As it is, the game currently lacks Something For Everyone with any modicum of lasting power which I think is part of what is causing players to lash out at each other.

Of course I mean no offense with anything I've written here, I'm just trying to look at the problem objectively and figure out the basis of it and some ways to repair it.

#49 Ecclesio

Ecclesio

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:41 PM

Xellie, this part of your post is very borderline against the intentions of this thread. I am not going to edit it out but as this is brought up constantly I will comment on it.

1. At no point have we been okay with your getting Harassed. When users were posting pictures of you we shut it down as soon as we saw it, all that BS having to do with horses we removed, when you were getting harassed in game by that user pming you pictures of your self we suspended them and once we were able to tie it to a single user they were removed from the community. At no point have we ever been okay with harassment.

2. Players posting snide or ill mannered comments about you we do have a harder track record noticing and I will be honest; it is because we get a ton of it ourselves. Our minds aren't keyed to react to those same words that players throw at Oda, Cinnamon, or myself. This means we just skip them when reading and don't really notice when they are thrown at other people. That doesn't mean its okay, but it is something we are working on.

3. But Criticism? That is not a bad thing in and of itself. A simple disagreement with you, without name calling, belittling, or other dehumanizing comments is not against the rules and should never be handled by us, should not be censored, but encouraged. Of course this all ties back into #2 where we need to start noticing such dehumanizing comments again.

But this all goes both ways. We have had long talks about how certain members of the community/staff were/are being treated by your guild members. I would remind Valhalla that "An Eye for an Eye" only means we will all soon be blind.

This should be the last post bringing up this subject. If you want to discuss with in more detail we can talk some more on Skype or PM however I will be removing future posts about "The Staff does nothing about harassment". I also expect other members of this community to respect that this should be the last post on this subject, should you be the subject of harassment no matter how minor this thread: https://forums.warpp...nt-please-read/ covers how to report it, and get the staff to deal with out.

I don't understand why some veteran members of the forums and game are given so much leeway in the things they they can say or do to bend rules in their own favor, while other individuals seem to get shut down rather quickly. Xellie is allowed to make multiple inflammatory posts in a thread where people are supposed to not incite drama, yet everyone knows had I made a post even a tenth as innocuous as she made I would have gotten edited and likely a one day ban from the forums no questions asked. 

#50 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

I don't understand why some veteran members of the forums and game are given so much leeway in the things they they can say or do to bend rules in their own favor, while other individuals seem to get shut down rather quickly. Xellie is allowed to make multiple inflammatory posts in a thread where people are supposed to not incite drama, yet everyone knows had I made a post even a tenth as innocuous as she made I would have gotten edited and likely a one day ban from the forums no questions asked. 

Instead of forcefully moderating this thread, i am trying to get the dialog going in a useful direction. I saw the part I quoted as something that should be addressed and put to rest, which is why I responded as I did.  Harassment is not an issue unique to Xellie and I know members of your alliance have been harassed as well, and I feel that addressing the topic of harassment, and pointing out the resources available to the users is the best course of action on this specific topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users