[Archived] COMMON ISSUES: Cannot init d3d, C_IsSteam, Graphics issue, AI ERRORs - Page 2 - Ragnarok subforum archives - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

[Archived] COMMON ISSUES: Cannot init d3d, C_IsSteam, Graphics issue, AI ERRORs

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#26 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:01 AM

Yes, I could do that too, but then it's so tiny XD I don't take screenies that often, so it's not too big of a deal leaving it the way it is---stumbling on this thread, though, made me aware of the cause at least, so I didn't have to bug you specially in a new thread.

What would be nice is if somehow RO could re-design the game with newer coding or whatever it is, so it's up to the times, but that would be a major (and impossible) overhaul.

RO is built on a framework that uses DirectX7, which is ancient. But the client would practically need to be rebuilt from the ground up to use a newer framework, and Gravity doesn't have the resources for that.

#27 Kromton

Kromton

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBehind you...
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Hey,

I've tried almost all the solutions available. I am running Windows 7 with an ATI Radeon card. I tried disabling Aero, running the D3D option, even in window mode at 1366x768 res, I still get the blurred problem like the screen has been stratched. I know this post was like long back but.. What should I do. Am a returning player, and this really wasn't the start I was looking forward to :S

#28 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hey,

I've tried almost all the solutions available. I am running Windows 7 with an ATI Radeon card. I tried disabling Aero, running the D3D option, even in window mode at 1366x768 res, I still get the blurred problem like the screen has been stratched. I know this post was like long back but.. What should I do. Am a returning player, and this really wasn't the start I was looking forward to :S

So in windowed mode, the graphics in the RO window are blurry/stretched? What sort of blur/stretch? As if it was 640x480 stretched to the size of the window? In windowed mode, it is displaying in a window, right? (If it's not, your settings changes in RO setup aren't being applied to the game; try running setup as admin in this case)

I would say you should try to find the equivalent settings to the similar issue described for NVIDIA cards (since the ATI control panel is different from the NVIDIA one), and then post here when you find the setting to fix it, so I can add it to the list.

Edited by DrAzzy, 06 February 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#29 Kromton

Kromton

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBehind you...
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:28 AM

Yeah it was as if 640x480 had been stretched to the size of the window. Anyway nevermind that anymore. I think it is an issue/conflict with ATI's switchable graphics thing.. wierd. It works fine when I switch it to power saving mode and my Gfx card is not on. Funny right? Anyway that's sorted now.

Something that needs more attention though (and im sorry im posting about it here but it has been ignored for more thana week and that's something that's preventing me from playing the game at all)... is this issue at the following link : My link

Please can you reply to this soon... Thanks !

#30 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

Yeah it was as if 640x480 had been stretched to the size of the window. Anyway nevermind that anymore. I think it is an issue/conflict with ATI's switchable graphics thing.. wierd. It works fine when I switch it to power saving mode and my Gfx card is not on. Funny right? Anyway that's sorted now.

Something that needs more attention though (and im sorry im posting about it here but it has been ignored for more thana week and that's something that's preventing me from playing the game at all)... is this issue at the following link : My link

Please can you reply to this soon... Thanks !

I can't figure out what your problem is from that link - that link is the bug report thread intended for Sakray testing sessions for an update that was applied on the mains months ago, which is why you haven't gotten an answer.

Can you please start a new topic in Tech Support forum describing what your problem is? I see you mention a nil value error, which indicates a lua issue. The critical error isn't "attempt to call nil value" - that just means there's a lua issue of some undetermined sort. The error message that matters is the one you see before attempt to call nil value.

#31 Processman

Processman

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

alright so I have read through the forums and have not found any help. When I go to start the game in full screen I get the cannot init d3d error but if i start it in window mode i can see the EUA bit and some picture but no mouse...almost like it's not there. I have the latest graphic drivers for my computer and my directx is as new as i can get, my computer destroys the recomended requirements for this game and i see all the options in the setup menu for my graphics card and resolution and such. any ideas as to what this could be would be helpful. also I am running windows 7.

#32 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

alright so I have read through the forums and have not found any help. When I go to start the game in full screen I get the cannot init d3d error but if i start it in window mode i can see the EUA bit and some picture but no mouse...almost like it's not there. I have the latest graphic drivers for my computer and my directx is as new as i can get, my computer destroys the recomended requirements for this game and i see all the options in the setup menu for my graphics card and resolution and such. any ideas as to what this could be would be helpful. also I am running windows 7.

Get RO Mouse Freedom (google it - it's a magic file you put in your RO folder that fixes a lot of mouse issues), and see if that resolves the issue with no mouse in windowed mode.

Also be aware that in windows 7, sometimes, you have to tab out of RO and back in to make it detect mouse clicks (you can see the mouse, but can't click until you tab out and back in).

Also try playing with compatibility settings.

The issue with full screen, I would say, is likely a compatibility issue with your graphics drivers. Both ATI and NVIDIA cards nowadays have modes that are designed for the latest and greatest and cause problems with older programs like RO.

#33 Processman

Processman

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

mouse freedom works i can use the mouse again although i cant get full screen to work...oh well can have your cake and eat it too i guess. thanks a lot

#34 Matsunoki

Matsunoki

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Does anyone know how to run multiple clients without lag, while using windowed mode?
I can use many clients if I play them full screen, but when I play them windowed mode, I can't even use two clients without the second client lagging.
My computer specs should be way over the top for RO...

#35 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

Does anyone know how to run multiple clients without lag, while using windowed mode?
I can use many clients if I play them full screen, but when I play them windowed mode, I can't even use two clients without the second client lagging.
My computer specs should be way over the top for RO...

This should have been in a new topic, as it has nothing to do with graphics issues.

You should be able to run 1 client per processor core your machine has, beyond that, performance will be miserable.

A few tips:
1) Use RO Mouse Freedom - it improves CPU use a little, particularly with multiple clients up.
2) Let the clients run for a while - I have no idea why this works (by all rights it shouldn't), but I find that when I first start clients close to the limit that my computer can handle, they run slow for a while. It's not because it's loading stuff off the hdd (I've got an SSD), and it's not swapping (i've got 16GB of ram), but the client still runs like crap for a while. But if I later go back to it after playing on the other clients for a while, I can no longer find the laggy client.

#36 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

getting the cannot init d3d error while trying to patch the classic server... there isnt an issue with the regular server for me... and the setup has all the graphics in place... help?

#37 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

nvm i fixed it

#38 Phil

Phil

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

Hi, recently i have been getting cannot-init-d3d errors again >.>, its also the same for the other clients (using classic atm), this wasn't the case like a week ago and i got all the necessary hardware/software, directx, etc.

also did the instructions on solving this problem in this thread, no problems in my RO setup window

any more ways to fix this?? cant dual+ client on valk server to vend...

#39 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Hi, recently i have been getting cannot-init-d3d errors again >.>, its also the same for the other clients (using classic atm), this wasn't the case like a week ago and i got all the necessary hardware/software, directx, etc.

also did the instructions on solving this problem in this thread, no problems in my RO setup window

any more ways to fix this?? cant dual+ client on valk server to vend...

Well - what changed since it was working?

Also - you say you can't dual client? Do you mean you're only getting this error when you try to dual client, and you can run one client okay? Or does running one client not work?

#40 Phil

Phil

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

nothing has changed. and i can run 1 client fine

#41 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

nothing has changed. and i can run 1 client fine

Evidently something has.

I've heard of the issue where you can only run one client without getting that error. It's normally encountered on systems with low-end graphics cards (if you have a system that switches between graphics cards, like some higher-end laptops, set it to always use the "good" graphics card - this sort of system would also explain why it used to work: a change in system workload would change what graphics card was active when RO was started), and sometimes it can be fixed by playing with graphics drivers (reinstalling, upgrading, downgrading), sometimes not. Also sometimes if you start two clients at the same time, you can get both of them to run without errors, even when you're normally getting an error on the second client.

I do not know of anyone finding a clear cause of this, nor a surefire fix for it.

#42 taesup

taesup

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:49 AM

Hi,
I have d3d or GRF errors too... I don't know what to do anymore. I've tried various "fixes" and nothing seems to work. I have made sure DirectX is installed and that my graphic driver is installed and patched to the latest version.
Got any other ideas?

#43 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

Hi,
I have d3d or GRF errors too... I don't know what to do anymore. I've tried various "fixes" and nothing seems to work. I have made sure DirectX is installed and that my graphic driver is installed and patched to the latest version.
Got any other ideas?

When you run setup.exe, are there options in the top two menus? Is something selected in both?

Have you tried running setup.exe as admin (if you're on vista or 7)?

Are you trying to play classic or a renewal server?

Edited by DrAzzy, 29 July 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#44 taesup

taesup

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:42 AM

Yeah I get nothing for the top 2 menus. Nothing to select.
And I have tried running as Admin (using Windows 7).
Sidenote: I am able to open dxdiag, so DirectX is installed.
And I'm trying to play Classic, but I can't open the renewal client either without getting the same error.

Thanks in advance.

#45 layyo

layyo

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

2) Start -> run -> dxdiag - see if it works and brings up a diagnostic program. If it does, go to 4).

3) If that doesn't work, you don't have directx installed - download it from microsoft website (and if you've got a pirated copy of windows and it won't let you do that, search for the "redistributable", which is not protected like that). Install directx, and try setup.exe again.

i tried this... yet i am still experiencing the 'cannot init d3d'

i played ragnarok last night.... and it worked perfectly.. i don't understand why i am experiencing this

#46 layyo

layyo

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:42 AM

When you run setup.exe, are there options in the top two menus? Is something selected in both?

Have you tried running setup.exe as admin (if you're on vista or 7)?

Are you trying to play classic or a renewal server?

what top two menus options you talking about lol

#47 Handersen

Handersen

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3272 posts
  • Server:chaos

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:19 AM

Can anyone help? My classic run perfectly fine. But when I play renewal cannot initd3/grf problem.

#48 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:36 AM

Can anyone help? My classic run perfectly fine. But when I play renewal cannot initd3/grf problem.

Try copying the files with the extension "lua" in the data subfolder of your client folder to the savedata subfolder.

#49 Handersen

Handersen

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3272 posts
  • Server:chaos

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:06 AM

At work atm, will try it when I get back ty though

#50 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

what top two menus options you talking about lol

This guide has not been updated since the new setup program was introduced 6 days ago. Those menus were to select the rendering mode and the screen resolution.

I'm waiting until the community has figured out how to solve the issues associated with the new setup program. At present, there seem to be a substantial portion of users unable to get settings to save no matter what they do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users