Terms of Service Update FAQ [RO1] - Page 26 - Renewal Patch Notes - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Terms of Service Update FAQ [RO1]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
680 replies to this topic

#626 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Twitter:RagnarokWisdom
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos, Loki

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:14 AM

Personally I've bee raging at Gravity because I know WP pass it on. I'm pretty sure a lot of people know that korea is behind this. There's no need to defend them.

There's no need to attack Warp Portal either. All the venting would have been better spent trying to find someone the playerbase can contact and express our concerns.

Granted, having seen this sort of behavior from overseas managers in other MMOs, it's not very likely that a coordinated campaign would make them change their minds. That still would've been a more productive effort, though.

#627 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:21 AM

WP did a terrible job managing restart, and if they had done better a lot less people would be leaving over this.

WP have relayed everything we have said to Gravity. There's no contacting higher ups and making them change their mind. Gravity don't care and warpportal probably didn't care enough to defend our interests. 

I've spent quite a bit of time talking with campitor and I'm convinced it's hopeless. 

Edited by Xellie, 19 May 2018 - 09:22 AM.

#628 Stephcake

Stephcake

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1041 posts
  • Twitter:stephstiel
  • LocationUK
  • Server:Odin

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:43 AM

Also, Gravity has a very easy to find contact page with emails, a phone number, even fax.

If you think it'll do anything, go for it; but don't hold your breath.

#629 ChaoticRK

ChaoticRK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3228 posts
  • Locationprt_fild08
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

How can you blame/rage on Gravity if neither of you understands one another? :heh:

I mean there is no representation of Gravity on this forum? Is there? No. Because if there was, the questions should already be answered.

OMG, we are not living on horses or telegrams now. smh

#630 Kieri

Kieri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2995 posts
  • Server:Nothing.

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

tldr; your opinion is inaccessible.

#631 b1c1v

b1c1v

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

One more pathetic chapter of this amateur company.

Good job guys... I really hope you keep your jobs with Gravity / WP for a while.. world out there is competitive and I do not see how you would find new jobs in the gaming industry with this pathetic service you provided us for years  :no1:

#632 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts
  • Server:EU abyss

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

All the venting would have been better spent trying to find someone the playerbase can contact and express our concerns.

That's where the concerns went to, someone at Gravity HQ, 22 days later we have our answer unfortunately, which sums up as "We don't want to deal with this, maybe later, maybe not." I think it comes down to player population and profit, Gravity HQ must have been aware there were changes on the horizon regarding privacy laws because Japan updated their own laws back in May 2017 to be in tune with GDPR. But the Japanese server is the birthplace of the profitable OCP so they are more likely to invest in updating things.

Ragnarok Europe's solution to GDPR is just the following: "We are currently working with a third party company to apply the new legislation to our services. Since we were already almost up to date, this should only have a small impact on your game experience. There will be a new line in the Terms of Service and/or a reminder of the Terms of Service that has to be accepted when launching the game."

But again that shouldn't stop them from being allowed to do business outside the EU. Likewise WarpPortal could likely do something similar and still service people in the EU, but Gravity have likely hit that on the head. Back in April someone posted a Discord quote from a euRO GM that said "there will be no consequences for us" but then later they made the announcement about blocking non EU territories due to "a request by Gravity."

So basically I think it is just Gravity wanting to streamline players into servers based on region so they can simplify everything and don't have as much work to do since the remaining low population perhaps doesn't warrant the investment in their eyes sadly.

NCSoft, my only experience with them is when they shelved the Korean MMO I was accepted into the close beta of before it even launched. The game had some fun ideas for the time so I was very disappointed in their decision.

#633 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Twitter:RagnarokWisdom
  • Server:Chaos, Loki

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:24 AM

So basically I think it is just Gravity wanting to streamline players into servers based on region so they can simplify everything and don't have as much work to do since the remaining low population perhaps doesn't warrant the investment in their eyes sadly.

Yeah, that's my feeling, too. But I also wonder if we could have had an impact if we tried to contact someone in management directly rather than relying on Camp and crew alone. They probably wouldn't expect foreign players to try and come to them directly.

But that would require some sussing out, figuring out exactly who to contact and how to avoid messages being summarily memory-holed, disregarded, etc. Depending on who it is it might even require having some people fluent in Korean helping out.

NCSoft, my only experience with them is when they shelved the Korean MMO I was accepted into the close beta of before it even launched. The game had some fun ideas for the time so I was very disappointed in their decision.

Oh, I could tell you tales. The death of City of Heroes was a pretty BS move, but I think they were at their worst in how they handled offing Tabula Rasa.

To avoid derailing the topic all I'll say is: As a result of their actions, Richard Garriott sued NCSoft and won, even when NCSoft tried to appeal the decision.

As for CoH, to this day you can still make City veterans weep and rage when you remind them of what happened to their game.

#634 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:02 AM

Yeah, that's my feeling, too. But I also wonder if we could have had an impact if we tried to contact someone in management directly rather than relying on Camp and crew alone. They probably wouldn't expect foreign players to try and come to them directly.

But that would require some sussing out, figuring out exactly who to contact and how to avoid messages being summarily memory-holed, disregarded, etc. Depending on who it is it might even require having some people fluent in Korean helping out.

Well, WarpPortal have been doing Developer Q and A back and forth with Gravity HQ for some time so I guess they already have Korean translators. But I suppose if it takes 22 days for even them to get a basic answer to questions then it is disheartening. Plus I guess it's hard to argue with the lower player population, since I played back during initial launch and saw the server population at its peak, I realize it's a shadow of its former self sadly.

gj49vod.jpg

#635 TheQuietStorm

TheQuietStorm

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Server:chaos>ymir>chaos

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

Warpportal is just gravityUS with a name change people.

And like I’ve been saying for eons. This has nothing to do with this law. And everything to do with gravity games being region locked.

5 days to go!

#636 Althes

Althes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Both

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:46 PM

Just finished my last woe SE before 25th May.

I guess it is time now. 5 more days to come. 

I feel bad. I think everyone feels bad, even GMs feel bad, I believe.

To me my lost is acceptable. With my guild mates' help, I can recover most of my lost. And I am moving out of EU in 1 year time, so I can even look forward to a return. 

But I really feel sad and sorry for those Europeans or who just unluckily registered their accounts in EU. That is like a betrayal of a once best friend.

Maybe I will still continue playing iRO, but I know things have changed. iRO is no longer the iRO I could trust. I started to play on iRO because of the shut down of cRO. I thought iRO would never face the same situation cRO did. Now I know I am wrong.

Anyway I would still like to thank GMs for their effort. I believe they tried their best, although it is far from enough. 

#637 Caturae

Caturae

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:44 PM

https://i.imgflip.com/2amu3o.jpg

On a more serious note, are Canada/Australia getting banned since the British Queen rules over those countries? They're just as European as Turkey is.

A good portion of the ban list here doesn't include EU countries (where the GDPR would affect). It's some arbitrarily picked banlist meant to... keep out foreigners?

#638 kingarthur6687

kingarthur6687

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos Renewal

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:22 PM

https://i.imgflip.com/2amu3o.jpg

On a more serious note, are Canada/Australia getting banned since the British Queen rules over those countries? They're just as European as Turkey is.

A good portion of the ban list here doesn't include EU countries (where the GDPR would affect). It's some arbitrarily picked banlist meant to... keep out foreigners?

You can't possibly expect kRO/Gravity to read maps and national borders properly. They took 22 days just to write a single sentence and mail it over the pacific (I'm assuming they didn't mail it over the atlantic and eurasian continent...).

#639 octigen

octigen

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:13 PM

Any update on how to exactly check if your accounts will be affected?

[https://forums.warpp...r/#entry2832043] is this a reliable method?

#640 juanitainez

juanitainez

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:49 PM

well there you go. goodbye forever warpportal. what a -_- company.

#641 Shenzu1337

Shenzu1337

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Classic

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:56 PM

Got some refunds, not sure if it's correct or not, at least it's something I guess

Edited by Shenzu1337, 19 May 2018 - 11:57 PM.

#642 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:53 AM

Any update on how to exactly check if your accounts will be affected?

[https://forums.warpp...r/#entry2832043] is this a reliable method?

They seem to have fixed it so it isn't just based on IP now but based on accounts initially registered when in the EU, so it's worth checking what you see after clicking Power Up on WarpPortal homepage and logging in now. Otherwise you'll have to send in a ticket to support.

Got my refund too. :ani_money:

Edited by soudou, 20 May 2018 - 03:54 AM.

#643 Stephcake

Stephcake

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:53 AM

They seem to have fixed it so it isn't just based on IP now but based on accounts initially registered when in the EU, so it's worth checking what you see after clicking Power Up on WarpPortal homepage and logging in now. Otherwise you'll have to send in a ticket to support.

Got my refund too. :ani_money:

I checked again earlier and I can still get to the Power Up page on my accounts despite all of them having been created in the EU - so even that isn't really foolproof.

#644 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:11 AM

I checked again earlier and I can still get to the Power Up page on my accounts despite all of them having been created in the EU - so even that isn't really foolproof.

Weird... :p_swt:

Xellie said they also could access it via IP proxy, but that now they can't after they also fixed the wording of the message you see. I get the territory message and live in the UK / registered from there. Also someone now living in the US who made their account in the EU back in 2003 sees it too.

So after all that I really thought they had fixed that.  :p_err: 

Guess the only way is to wait for a support ticket reply then. :ani_swt3:

#645 Stephcake

Stephcake

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

Weird... :p_swt:

Xellie said they also could access it via IP proxy, but that now they can't after they also fixed the wording of the message you see. I get the territory message and live in the UK / registered from there. Also someone now living in the US who made their account in the EU back in 2003 sees it too.

So after all that I really thought they had fixed that. :p_err:

Guess the only way is to wait for a support ticket reply then. :ani_swt3:

Well, considering people have already submitted tickets andn were told it was "confidential" and they couldn't say... I wouldn't get my hopes up.

(Inb4 they somehow didn't flag any of my accs and I don't get banned - joke's on them, I already quit anyway)

Edited by Stephcake, 20 May 2018 - 10:47 AM.

#646 Caturae

Caturae

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 251 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

One thing I love about this is that the purged players have to trust WarpPortal on the refunds, if they're even doing them at all.

They can't check their purchase history, because WarpPortal is scared to death of the purged players ticketing in demanding more money, or money period.

"Trust us! We won't gyp you! But we won't let you VERIFY that we're not gypping you!"

#647 meli

meli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2688 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:06 AM

It would have been nice to at least give us guild warehouse within these two years so the efforts I put with my guild to make certain account bound gears together wouldn't simply disappear, we expected to be able to share them sooner or later. Shouldn't have been so optimistic!

#648 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

Well, considering people have already submitted tickets andn were told it was "confidential" and they couldn't say... I wouldn't get my hopes up.

(Inb4 they somehow didn't flag any of my accs and I don't get banned - joke's on them, I already quit anyway)

Not surprised really, since some were told via support tickets to check payment history though they had been blocked from viewing payment history, seems support are missing information.

Honestly it seems like a glitch if some soon to be blocked accounts can still make purchases, WarpPortal staff should seriously look into that. Especially since not everyone yet knows about the forthcoming block since no in-game announcement or email was sent out, and the Facebook / Twitter notices were apparently deleted, not everyone reads the forums. So some may be continuing to make purchases on their soon to blocked account that will complicate the refund process even more than it is already, since there have already been delays.

Business as usual here though I guess. :yawn:

VModPeppermint also can access the payment area though they are getting blocked:

I am in the EU and the account was created in the EU too. I could buy WP just fine without any warning. I can view all my WP purchases in the Transaction History perfectly fine back to my very first purchase in 2009. And I know for sure that that account is affected by the EU bans because I already received my refunds through paypal.

Edited by soudou, 20 May 2018 - 11:59 AM.

#649 Daray

Daray

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1019 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:12 PM

Was going through all my characters and taking a final screenshot. On my first 99/50 char, I found the same equipment that I had used to 99 him back in 2004.
Still equiped 14 years later.

Doesn't seem like Gravity / WP or the community have anything to add to this Terms of Service change topic anymore.

For those who want to: https://forums.warpp...th-of-may-2018/
I'll be organizing a big goodbye BB/DB/Amulet party on the 24th. Feel free to take part, or use the event map to break your last branches.

#650 KodeX

KodeX

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationEU Ban
  • Server:Ex iRO Chaos

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

Due to the change of our service policy, we will be terminating all services to the European region,as such we will be deleting all user personal information from said region. However some information will be retained that is relevant to the laws and regulations in the United States.

@WP/Gravity: Could you please tell what information you will keep?

My understanding: If you keep some information you need to comply with GDPR for european based accounts, although you deactivate them and deleted most of the information. There is no different in GDPR between all information or just some information. Your statement says you will still save account data after May 25th... so you have to observe GDPR, don't you?

Please inform european based players what information you will keep after May 25th.

According to GDPR, european based players will have the right for information what (of their) data you save.

Starting on May 25th, I think they could send an official request for this information if you do not provide it by yourself(?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users